Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

London Is Not The Paradise I Expected - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / London Is Not The Paradise I Expected (22239 Views)

London Is The World's Most Popular Capital - Again / Igboland The Emerging Paradise Of Africa / Phone Snatching In London. Is It Real? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by babyfayce: 1:08am On Jan 28, 2007
I Just Came To London I'm Miserable Help

i just came to london from nigeria to visit but this place is really not up to my expectations, i know it doesn't matter but when my cousins cam back from london they wear the coolest stuff ever and they rap instead of talking so i taught hmm i must get here sometimes when i have chance but when i came i couldn't beleive my eyes, the houses are red, the cars are not it the people i stay with don't have a car while they have 2 in naija, everybody is stressed out and tired, there is no money anywhere and i'm bored but the story i've heared is too good to be this is there something i don't get, i brought camera to take interesting photo to show my friends but there is nothing attracting, i just found this site to erase boredom, can someone give me ideas of things i could do till i go home i still have about 3 weeks left. on plus side i know how to deal with my family that demo for us in lagos and those yankee guys dressed like 50cent
anyway, someone please tell me what to do to have fun i'm so booooooooored i'm waiting
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by whiteroses(f): 1:09am On Jan 28, 2007
how will you deal with the yankees and your cousin
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by babyfayce: 1:13am On Jan 28, 2007
this is an example "i want double chicken mayo and french fries" i'll just remind them of how they were gobling eba and ila down in peckham and when those guys with the baggy jeans come i'll tell them how ashy their finger was in london and i know wassup with them so they can't impress me anymore and i'm not going home with another as from when i get home i'm bored what should i do should i start school?
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Nobody: 1:39am On Jan 28, 2007
babyfayce:

i just came to london from nigeria to visit but this place is really not up to my expectations, i know it doesn't matter but when my cousins cam back from london they wear the coolest stuff ever and they rap instead of talking so i taught hmm i must get here sometimes when i have chance but when i came i couldn't beleive my eyes, the houses are red, the cars are not it the people i stay with don't have a car while they have 2 in naija, everybody is stressed out and tired, there is no money anywhere

Nigerians sha! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by bigbumper(f): 2:11am On Jan 28, 2007
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

YOU ARE SOOOOOO FUNNY WITHOUT KNOWING IT.

MG, Haven't laughed like this in such a long time.

Out of curiosity, what would you have done if you came here to work/study with "ori olori" and did not have the priviledge of returning to Nigeria?

Thank God you are legit. You need to go for thanksgiving when you return to Nigeria for a lucky escape and deliverance and don't forget to pay your tithe.

1 Like

Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by WesleyanA(f): 2:18am On Jan 28, 2007
lmao, seriously! cheesy grin
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by otoidea(m): 4:40am On Jan 28, 2007
lol
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by hotangel2(f): 5:14am On Jan 28, 2007
Ohhh my goodness. This is the funniest thing i've read all day. No seriously it is.

I agree with Big_bumper, This girl is funny without even knowing that she is. lol,

You know wat darling, just enjoy ur remaining 3 weeks in london.

As for your cousins coming home and looking like they just got out of a rap video. Well, you see, you should know 'US' Nigerians now. Who wants to look bad when coming from 'abroad'?
It was all demo and effizzy and you can see that for yourself now.

I really don't know what i can say that'll make you feel better. You espected alot from London and you obviously don't like what you are getting from it. Just spend your remaining 3 weeks on NL. you'll learn more on here, than you think you can.

And ermm, Im still laughing by the way.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Seun(m): 8:19pm On Jan 28, 2007
I think it's accurate to say that London is the Lagos of the United Kingdom. smiley
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by WesleyanA(f): 1:27am On Jan 29, 2007
Seun:

I think it's accurate to say that London is the Lagos of the United Kingdom. smiley

Peckham (aka 'yorubaland') comes to mind.
http://www.utexas.edu/conferences/africa/ads/317.html

they have their oshodi market there too. lol
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by NiteAngel(m): 1:46am On Jan 29, 2007
Oh my God!

Na "Lagos 4 Show" you know now you don c say "Jandon na Showbiz!"

If you have money to spend you could tow the tourists' line. If you don't; schedule your time between watching movies, browsing for important information, reading magazines, praying for family members (as you do that God will take care of your own list), emailing friends,

If you are good with scripting you could send your story to willowsmagazine@hotmail.com The editor could use it in the "Stories from Yonder" column.

You could also spend the time playing nice to your host at least na money dem go spend buy you baffs to continue the showbiz.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by naijacutee(f): 2:04am On Jan 29, 2007
Babyface, such is life o. Everything was for show. Breeze has blown and the fowl's yansh is now open.

However, there are still some 'European' places in London. Have you been to any shows, West-end theatres (I recommend Sound of music!), Picadilly Circus, London Eye, Leicester Square, The ice bar at the West End (Some bar where evrything is made of ice including the seats and the glasses!) etc. Or you can try going outside London - Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Newcastle etc.

Hey ya! I wish you luck with the rest of your 3 weeks o!

@ WesleyanA

That story is sooo true! Everytime I go to Peckham I jam one 'fresh' person I didn't know had come to the UK.
Please where do they sell eba and ila?
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by daprince: 3:06am On Jan 29, 2007
O boy na wa oooooo. I was just about to start studying, but I decided to see whatz up on NL, and I came across ur thread. Dang boy! Ur story na real rib-cracker. But seriously though, at least u've learned now that many people who live in so-called "abroad" can't even afford to live comfy. I've seen somebody who's a darn cab driver in Chicago, but got a jeep with a chauffeur in naija. Funny isn't it? Dude, u've seen things for urself, "and may the peace of the Lord be with u" LOL.
I often wonder how people who ain't comfy living abroad can afford to go spend their money building mansions in naija.
I've seen people here who couldn't buy houses in the US, but wanna go build huge houses in Africa. Pathetic! Dude, just like those in London have advised u to do, go find some bars (if u are legal to drink) or some clubs (I learned u guys call it rave in London) to jiggy it down. Or u can go to trafalgar square in Westminster to catch pigeons like Osuofia. At least that might put u in the news.

1 Like

Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by WesleyanA(f): 3:18am On Jan 29, 2007
daprince:

I often wonder how people who ain't comfy living abroad can afford to go spend their money building mansions in naija.
I've seen people here who couldn't buy houses in the US, but want to go build huge houses in Africa.

$1 = 135 N

the rate is even higher in pounds.
so if you have little money there, it turns plenty when you change it in Naija.

There are many nigerians who do live comfy abroad. Usually the ones that were educated in Nigeria before they left to get a good job there or the ones that continued their education abroad and get a good job.
I said usually but there are exemptions though.

There are also some that try to look for easy ways to make cash (crime)
and there are some that find it harder to integrate with the system.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Hotstepper(f): 3:21am On Jan 29, 2007
lol
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by LoverBwoy(m): 4:30am On Jan 29, 2007
and there are some that find it harder to integrate with the system.
thats so true  wink they are used to mummy and daddy  grin

naijacutee:

Babyface, such is life o. Everything was for show. Breeze has blown and the fowl's yansh is now open.

However, there are still some 'European' places in London. Have you been to any shows, West-end theatres (I recommend Sound of music!), Picadilly Circus, London Eye, Leicester Square, The ice bar at the West End (Some bar where evrything is made of ice including the seats and the glasses!) etc. Or you can try going outside London - Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Newcastle etc.
Hey ya! I wish you luck with the rest of your 3 weeks o!

@ WesleyanA

That story is sooo true! Everytime I go to Peckham I jam one 'fresh' person I didn't know had come to the UK.
Please where do they sell eba and ila?

Do you really think he wants to do all these "european" things and with his own money?  grin
i know some people who have lived in the u.k for over 15years, theyve never been to the theatre undecided
guess where you can get ila and eba

Babyfayce, im sure you are pissed nobody is refering to you as "big-boy" what a shame  tongue
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by daprince: 7:46am On Jan 29, 2007
Hot stepper, I believe the essence of buying a house in the US (and I believe the UK or wherever) is to build equity while having a place to call ur own. There are people who just build houses in naija or Africa just to prove to people that they've "arrived." What value does building a house one ain't gonna live in (or perhaps even rent out) add to ones life? If ur parents are old and wanna go settle in naija (u said it), thats understandable. But what are u gonna say of a struggling punk who can't even pay his rent where he lives, going to build a mansion in Africa? C'mon girl, u know that's just darn ludicrous. People travel abroad to make better lives and good investments for 'emselves and not foolish ones. If u choose to rent and help a landlord pay his mortgage while building equity on his property, go ahead and be my guest girl.
One might think oh, the value of the $ to the naira is so big (just as someone pointed out) and that investing 20 million naira building a house in naija as a rental property could be rewarding, but they gotta consider the value of the naira to the $ while converting from naira to $ when they gonna pay the loan(s) they took. If u invest money, u need returns (that's biz). Assuming one builds a block of 6 flats for 15-20 million naira in naija, what is gonna be the rent on it in a year? The next question one needs to ask 'emselves is, are they gonna build the house with their liquid cash or they gonna take (a) loan(s)? If the later is the case, then they are in a big mess cuz the rental fees can't offset the yearly payment on the loan(s). If one gets a loan for $200k, no bank or financial institution is gonna accept anything less than $1200/month from them no matter how good their credit standing is. So girl, u can choose to rent from me and help me pay my mortgage, or u can go get ur own place and pay mortgage on it to build equity for urself.
By the way, in my earlier post, I didn't mean to insult u or anybody else living in a rented place. I was just trying to point out how dumb people can be some times. Plz, don't think I was trying to act kinda stuck up. Peace girl.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by globalaid(m): 9:04am On Jan 29, 2007
London is a toughest place to live, everything is tax and tax, thank God i find joy in this shinko city i am now. Peace unto everybody.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by doubletree(f): 10:07am On Jan 29, 2007
I really feel for you.

try doing tourist's stuff,go to trafalgar sq,picadilly circus oxford street etc, take lots of pics.
try http://www.bigbus.co.uk/?AID=10293565&PID=1363326
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by HISTY(m): 11:23am On Jan 29, 2007
what a piece.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by okwanuzo3(f): 12:34pm On Jan 29, 2007
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by babyfayce: 2:14pm On Jan 29, 2007
@everyone thanks, i'll go to the club maybe today.i had fun yesterday beacuse i read almost every joke, fashion and lifestyle on nairaland(isn't that pathetic) i'll ask my pops to send money today even though my brothers will laugh at me because they ask me not to come, i made a friend but she's always busy though
everybody i'm a girl not a boy

1 Like

Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by LoverBwoy(m): 2:29pm On Jan 29, 2007
hey

how comes you're on holiday when your relatives are in session (school)?  undecided

xmas holiday,summer holiday, easter . . . you chose the right time  grin
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by londoner: 2:36pm On Jan 29, 2007
, Sorry you are disappointed, the best time to visit London is in the Summer, there are plenty of things to do if you have the money and are willing to go outside your comfort zone. When Nigerians come to London and go to Peckham or such places, they don't get a sense of London, these are Londons most impoverished areas (Ghettoes), thats what they are, so why expect it to be paved with all things good?

If you go to the ghettoes of NY, Atlanta or LA you will find the same thing, and worse.

Where in London are you? I don't mind taking some time out to show you the London landmarks if I can, also you can go to Paris for the day also.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by LoverBwoy(m): 2:54pm On Jan 29, 2007
most Nigerian tourist don't really do tourist attractions, they are more likely to go to where fellow Nigerians are

you can visit these http://www.visitlondon.com/whats_on/leisure/top_ten_attractions.html with a camera
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Tmoni(m): 2:58pm On Jan 29, 2007
sorry, as all have said  me thinks you are here at the wrong time,
there is really nothing fascinating bout this place just takes time and money,
try and go to the london eye and go see the famous big ben(same place)
go to a football stadium, go see blood diamond or cry like me with 'in pursuit of happiness'
if i was in london , might have taken you to some places
well, bottom line is u have seen it the great london (lol)
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by babyfayce: 3:22pm On Jan 29, 2007
@loverbwoy, i'm not on holiday but took three weeks off school, i can't fail nomatter what because i paid so much money i don't think they fail us in that's school it's even the teachers problem if we fail a single test ABTI (american university of yola)
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by tejuoso1(f): 3:34pm On Jan 29, 2007
nigerians sha when they see money they'll erase your problem for you, so it's teacer's problem if you fail if you dey for like unilag the teacher's will even lost your test script for you you are one lucky kid (it's not fair to other nigerian student) lol
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by paddylo1(m): 4:03pm On Jan 29, 2007
@Babyfayce
eh ya. . .i understand what u talking about. . london might actually be the most overrated city in the world. . .at least American cities are really on and poppin like Las-Vegas,or Sanfrancisco. . .dont even talk about Newyork,cause its just a bigger kind of London or Lagos,. . .anyway i was in London for 3days in 2005,and i was just unimpressed. . .try some nigerian bars,with live music. . .so you can get that naija feeling,forget about all these tourist bullshit,Nigerians no dey do stuff like that. . . .anyway goodluck,if you can visit yankee. . .try to,some cities here actually live up to the hype.cheers.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by daprince: 4:35pm On Jan 29, 2007
Paddy, I agree with u. Babyface, if u got the money to visit yankee (but don't be carried away with the big city names u've heard in naija like Brooklyn, LA, etc), come pay a visit. I don't know how old u are, but I tell u going to have some really good fun if u are the kind that likes fun. I believe there are some fun spots in London too, but u just gotta hang with the right people to take u to the right places. I hope u still catch some fun.
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by Hotstepper(f): 4:47pm On Jan 29, 2007
remember i concluded by saying that i do not buy people who lives in their car per se den doing to build manions in nigeria, if u live in an apartment per sef, and building a house in naija, da person must have a vision, it all depends but it boils down 2, most naija ppl like 2 go and show off esp. da ones 4rom da us and london, live according 2 ur means oooooooooooo
Re: London Is Not The Paradise I Expected by texazzpete(m): 4:54pm On Jan 29, 2007
The problem's with your orientation. There's a whole lot of things to see and do in london, but Naijan's aren't remotely interested in tourism. When someone says he/she hasn't seen anything to photograph in the Uk, then you gotta wonder, !
When i was in the uk, i did the whole tourist thingy and the ratio of black to white ppl there was like 1000:1. When we realize that travelling broadens your horizons, the better for us. I envy my cousin (orn and bred in d UK) cos he's toured about 25 countries.
i'd never stay out of nigeria permanently, but i'd love to travel out of he country to almost anywhere for 3 weeks.

Besides, did you ever think that maybe they didnt have many cars because there was a viable rail transport service? I assure u, i live and work in PH, and if there was a rail service half as efficient as the london underground, My car would remain in the garage most of the time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Policeman Caused Death Of My Brother In Accident In Warri - Man Cries Out (Pics) / Boeing To Lay Off Staff After $641M First-Quarter Loss / Mob Attacks Nigerian In Hyderabad India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.