Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,888 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks (23197 Views)

Clean-Up Committee Eases Traffic In Obalende, Clears Illegal Parks, Garages / Bike Man Parks To Clean Buhari's Campaign Poster In Ajah, Lagos (Video) / Ambode Unveils Free Public Wi-fi At Muri Okunola Park (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by caremaster: 2:42am On May 12, 2017
Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode. PHOTO: LASG

As part of activities to mark 50 years of the existence of Lagos State, the Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, has launched a free public Wi-Fi Internet service initiative.

Starting with the Ndubuisi Kanu Park, Alausa, Ikeja, Ambode informed that virtually all the parks in Lagos would have the free Wi-Fi Internet access facility.

Wi-Fi is a facility that allows computers, smart phones and other devices to connect to the Internet or communicate with one another without cable connection within a particular area.

Ambode unveiled the facility, a partnership with MainOne Cables yesterday.Represented by the Commissioner for Science and Technology, Olufemi Odubiyi, the governor said the provision of free public Wi-Fi at the park was part of efforts by his administration to make Lagos a smart city.

He revealed that parks and gardens are being established in different parts of the state to provide conducive environment for recreation, citing the opening of Badagry Recreation Park last week as one of such.

“The increased patronage of these facilities, which is no longer restricted to festive season, has made it necessary to equip these centres with free public Wi-Fi to serve the needs of visitors to these parks. As you relax and enjoy the services in these parks, we are also making it possible to access your mail, browse and search the Internet on your tablets, smart phones and laptops via a reliable public Wi-Fi,” Ambode stated.

He stressed that with the launch of the free Wi-Fi, the state has empowered the people to express their views on the new citizen’s gate portal, a platform designed to bridge the communication gap between the citizen and the state government “as non-availability of data will no longer be a constraint.”

http://www.nigerianewspaper.com.ng/2017/05/lagos-unveils-free-wi-fi-internet.html

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by deomelo: 3:30am On May 12, 2017
Federal Republic Of Lagos.

Eko o ni baje o

142 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by oluspicy: 4:05am On May 12, 2017
Slow and steady... Lagos is gradually turning into a digital village.

Nice one my amicable governor.

Itesiwaju Eko, lo je wa logun.

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by 989900: 4:56am On May 12, 2017
And some get N200 and 2 cups of rice as infrastructure.

134 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by TheStronghold: 6:13am On May 12, 2017
This is AMAZING!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by icedfire(m): 6:19am On May 12, 2017
Free WiFi can't work in naija. Trust Lagosians to start downloading all the Netflix movies they can download, update all the 'updateable' on there laptops... before you know it, the thing go crash

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by SalamRushdie: 6:33am On May 12, 2017
If we dont get Ambode to be president oneday we would have failed ourselves in a way

16 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by wagazala: 6:38am On May 12, 2017
icedfire:
Free WiFi can't work in naija. Trust Lagosians to start downloading all the Netflix movies they can download, update all the 'updateable' on there laptops... before you know it, the thing go crash

There are routers to take care of that. Not all websites will be accessible on the free WiFi and surely device bandwidth will be capped. Torrents and downloads won't be possible.
Instead, users of these free WiFi should be careful what they use it for as it will be an open Hotspot where all usage activities can be seen by the admin.
It's a good move by the LASG.

144 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by ProWalker: 6:42am On May 12, 2017
How safe?
I'm always wary of unsecured free wi-fi

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by Moreoffaith(m): 6:44am On May 12, 2017
Iyalaya anybody....

Oya I dey pack my load go Lagos now.

Lols.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by crackerspub: 6:51am On May 12, 2017
Ambode my man

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by bakynes(m): 6:54am On May 12, 2017
Eko oni baje!
O baje ti !

Itesiwaju Eko lo jewa logun.

11 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by Agimor(m): 6:56am On May 12, 2017
Digital Lag.... I no say some nairalanders go sleep Park just to download Mojo.... It's well....

16 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by icedfire(m): 6:57am On May 12, 2017
wagazala:

There are routers to take care of that. Not all websites will be accessible on the free WiFi and surely device bandwidth will be capped. Torrents and downloads won't be possible.
Instead, users of these free WiFi should be careful what they use it for as it will be an open Hotspot where all usage activities can be seen by the admin.

I still don't trust Nigerians, they will always find a way... good one by the way Lagos state government. I hope they extend it to suburbs like ipaja, Ayobo, meiran, abule egba, ifako ijaiye, egbeda, ikotun and igando even though we don't have parks around here

12 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by initialize(m): 7:03am On May 12, 2017
wagazala:

Just one VPN login away to bypass all these restrictions

23 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by Tarnisis(m): 7:08am On May 12, 2017
Good one

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by wristbangle: 7:54am On May 12, 2017
wagazala:

U have said it all. Nice one

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by Mariory(m): 8:00am On May 12, 2017
initialize:

Just one VPN login away to bypass all these restrictions

A VPN can't bypass bandwidth caps.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by nabiz(m): 8:05am On May 12, 2017
One of the only yoruba man i will vote in as president. But I think he should start it from our academic institutions where It will be more useful, to enable academic research. Ambode is trying but when compared to how much money in his possession, he may not be the best governor.

14 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by EVarn(m): 8:06am On May 12, 2017
Nice one from LASG. It should be extended to BRT buses too.
Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by initialize(m): 8:12am On May 12, 2017
Mariory:

A VPN can't bypass bandwidth caps.

How will they set cap for a public Internet access

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by Larryfest(m): 8:27am On May 12, 2017
icedfire:
They will have to set specific usage limitations for everyone....
Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by xxgig(m): 8:40am On May 12, 2017
Nice Move Ambo. But I hope they'll also increase security at the parks else peoples phone will start disappearing from their hands in broad day light.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by SweetJoystick(m): 8:56am On May 12, 2017
Free WiFi good...... but then hope no be epileptic WiFi service go dey because once it's free, it won't be of good quality
Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by hrworld: 9:47am On May 12, 2017
The they gave in blue BRT not even working. Lagos have good intentions but implementations have been the problem.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by fyneguy: 10:08am On May 12, 2017
Since it's in partnership with a major provider with huge redundant bandwidth, I don't expect bandwidth issues.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by bakynes(m): 10:14am On May 12, 2017
nabiz:
One of the only yoruba man i will vote in as president. But I think he should start it from our academic institutions where It will be more useful, to enable academic research. Ambode is trying but when compared to how much money in his possession, he may not be the best governor.
Lagos is more all about system not Person, Lagos has created a functional system and foundation such that even if a mad man becomes Governor he will perform. This system is Allien to the other 35 states and even Nigeria herself.

35 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by veekid(m): 11:34am On May 12, 2017
Fashola also do do do do so during his tenure as the governor of the state and we all praised him then, let Ambode come and govern Oyo state, na then you go know say AC no be fan.

See him today, minister of power darkness
No hating sha, there's money in Lagos

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by martineverest(m): 11:34am On May 12, 2017
that park will be d busiest in d world.....i pity the management of at park.oshodi and idumota market population no go near dat park

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by Sunnycliff(m): 11:34am On May 12, 2017
Good one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by Nobody: 11:35am On May 12, 2017
Wiffi connected no service

Na wetin them go de see

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Unveils Free Wi-fi Internet Service In Public Parks by DollarAngel(m): 11:35am On May 12, 2017
I hope security cameras will be mounted too. Cos you just made it easier for phone stealers and pick pocketers

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Lagos Constitutional Conference Of 1954 - Regional Structure / Protest In Otan-Ile, Osun Over Arrest Of Indigenes (Photos) / Precious Chikwendu: 'I Am Grateful For Being Single; My Ex Is A Narcissist'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.