Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,730 members, 7,806,002 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals (3962 Views)

Ways To Turn Your Ideas Into Reality / Copyrights And Patenting: A Guide To Protecting Your Ideas / Looking For Investment Opportunities: I Need Your Ideas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by Trends: 3:34am On Jan 12, 2010
Just want to advise all out there of the need to protect your ideas, trade names,business applications, website content, industrial processes etc, however simple you might think the idea is, before submitting them as proposals to corporate sponsors, banks, individuals and others by taking advantage of trademark and patent laws in Nigeria.

I know of an ongoing law suit involving some brilliant young whizz-kids who have stopped four (4) very powerful financial institutions from using an idea that these whizz-kids submitted in a proposal to these institutions when they were seeking partnership. How did they succeed?They did so simply because they protected the idea via patent before submitting the proposals.  The institutions that they submitted to were not aware of the patent before they "stole" the idea and "launched" the product on television as though it were their own idea!

Those guys are now in court with these corporate institutions for sums ranging up to N100m and they are likely to win!

Always protect your ideas!

2 Likes

Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by sidonlook: 3:41am On Jan 12, 2010
Smart kids. but what is patent and how can I get it for my idea ?
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by Trends: 3:45am On Jan 12, 2010
What's your email address?
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by sidonlook: 4:02am On Jan 12, 2010
esodenet@yahoo.com
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by Trends: 4:19am On Jan 12, 2010
I will reach you directly but just for the information of others, a patent is basically one form of intellectual property (others being trademark, copyright amongst others). By definition, a patent is essentially a grant made by a government agency that allows the creator of an invention the sole ownership rights to make, use, and sell that invention for a set period of time. In many cases 20 years or thereabout.

An inventor may however authorise others to utilise the patent in a manner and capacity similar to that which he possesses.In effect, no one else is authorised to use the said invention without the permission of the patent owner, otherwise the patent owner has every legitimate right to sue the infringing party in a court of law and to compel him to give account to the patent owner for every item sold!

As pointed out already, patent is just one aspect of intellectual property so the way and manner of protection will depend upon the specifics of the idea as other forms of protection like trademark or copyright may be more effective than patent in some instances.
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by plahtnaum: 8:13am On Jan 20, 2010
@poster, pls i'm also interested in protection of intellectual property. my email is efizee2003@yahoo.com
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by Kamseek(m): 8:54am On Jan 21, 2010
Good day,

Please am also interested my mail address is mailkamkamseek@yahoo.com

thank you

1 Like

Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by rhemmy(m): 11:41am On Feb 05, 2010
Trend,
kindly send details to rhemmymcjay@gmail.com
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:03pm On Feb 05, 2010
you can send me IP protection materials to makinwalonzo@yahoo.com
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by infomobile: 9:05pm On Feb 09, 2010
cool
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by Jas3610: 9:46am On Feb 10, 2010
Send to me at: dekreal1@yahoo.com
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 10, 2010
@ poster that is a very strong advice.
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by Starcrest: 3:45pm On Feb 10, 2010
Hello!

Please I am interested in further details for an idea I am working on.

My e-mail is tosinfast@gmail.com

Thanks
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by justbay: 10:10am On Feb 11, 2010
Hi,

Please am also interested my mail address is just_runs@yahoo.com

thanks
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by asscend: 10:46pm On Feb 11, 2010
@ Trends, you are an instant hit. Kai, make sure you charge them all for your services. See as them dey give u e.mail address.

Nice post, very insightful. Best post for the month of Feb so far.

Guyz pls go to Nigerian Copyright commission nearest to you to tender your ideas so that they can advice you if idea is already copy righted or they will proceed to patent or 'Copy Right' your idea. . Thats why the commission was set up many years ago. (this commission will soon be the busiest in the country after NNPC).

Please remmber there is a fee to be paid at the commission and its not 1,000naira. its some bux but its worth it.
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by mandy4s: 11:11am On Sep 15, 2010
please i also need this help, my e-mail is mandela_info@yahoo.com, thanksss grin grin grin
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by nio68(m): 9:45am On Sep 16, 2010
pls send it to me too femicream@yahoo.com
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by Trends: 11:51pm On Oct 02, 2010
Hello,

If you can reach me at:wadiacorp@yahoo.com with just a little insight as to what you have in mind, I could help better. Without knowing a bit of what you have in mind, I would be flying blind and all that I could send to your email will be very generic details that would be of little help. Do not provide too many details when writing me, just basic stuff that would guide me in knowing whether it is copyright, patents or trademarks protection that you need.

A few things that you could let me know are: Which industry- in general- do you wish to impact? Is the idea completely new or an improvement on an existing product? Does it have a design process? Is it a drawing, painting,logo, literary material, musical etc? Is it an artwork or scientific product? And so on and so forth.

From these very few questions alone, I am sure that you can understand how difficult it is to just send materials by email if one does not have the very basic details.
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by emmame(m): 1:12pm On Feb 11, 2011
pls i also want to protect my idea, what do i do?
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by emmame(m): 1:14pm On Feb 11, 2011
pls i also want to protect my idea, what do i do? here is my email; emma_sent@yahoo.com
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by monopolist: 6:25pm On Feb 11, 2011
Many of us need this patent and trademark thing fast!
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by kaysmith11: 9:04pm On Feb 11, 2011
good advise.protection of ideas can also be gotten through a lawyer
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by KKMMG(f): 4:24pm On Feb 14, 2011
Please send to me too my email is: kandyikonceptmultilevelmart@yahoo.com

Thanks
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by Timi1990(m): 10:49pm On Feb 19, 2011
Pls i need it too. My email is > timistone766@gmail.com
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by Unkuable(m): 10:40am On Feb 21, 2011
Am also interested: emmadubem@yahoo.com
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by wilinvent: 11:27pm On Jul 22, 2014
i need it urgently sir...........my email= ameh_inventive@yahoo.com
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by lcoral(f): 1:52pm On Jul 23, 2014
Nice post. Thanks for the info
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by Toosure70: 9:15pm On Jul 23, 2014
plz ur phone number
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by abeldavey: 9:07pm On Apr 21, 2015
Just saw dis now , pls I need more info. abeldavey4all@yahoo.com
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by Raahym(m): 7:14pm On Nov 08, 2015
Good Day,

I am a Nigerian youth with an entrepreneurial mind but faced with the fact that my invention may be copied, stolen or hijacked in the process of looking for funds and or support.

I am yet to register the company name and other formalities as this requires me pitching to potential partners that would be included in the business registration and share allocation.

Kindly advise on the steps to take in order to patent, copyright and or trademark my invention before pitching to potential partners and sponsors.

My email address is eagleyerola@gmail.com

Awaiting yours.
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by havocypie: 8:18pm On Nov 08, 2015
Hello OP! I was exhumed with joy when I saw your topic on PATENT!

I've an idea that I want to patent, but when I went to the Ministry of Trade and industry, I was persuaded by the officials to tell them the idea but I didn't disclose it because I can't trust them with the informations. They told me to write a novelty statement and return afterwards to do a search either online and manual 18000 and 15000 respectively.
Pls OP, I'll like you to educate me further on the way forward so as to get my ideas protected.
How do I get my idea internationally recognised?
At the ministry of trade and investment, I was told that I must do a Nigeria patent and that is all I need.
Best regards.
Re: Always Protect Your Ideas Before Submitting Proposals by Danycruzzygmai: 9:13pm On Nov 08, 2015
Danycruzzy@gmail.com need detailed info about patent

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Produce Chalk C∕̴ɩn∂ ♏aƙε̲̣ #50,000 Profit Or More In A Month / Highest Number Of Nigerian Billionaires Are From Anambra, Here Is Why / The ONE reason Why People FAIL In Life And The Simple Way Out:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.