Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,861 members, 7,806,432 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings (29340 Views)

Aftermath Of Presidential Primary: "Ekweremadu Mulls Dumping PDP" - Daily Sun / 2019 Election: List Of Presidential Candidates And Their Parties / Man Tries To Hang Himself In Abuja In Support Of Presidential Aspirant. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by Nobody: 1:25pm On May 15, 2017
Over the weekend, the city of Minna in Niger State came agog as former military ruler Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida gave out his youngest child and second daughter, Halima in marriage to businessman and traditional title holder from Gombe, Auwal Abdullahi.

Expectedly, Nigerians were bombarded with pictures from the glamorous event and news of how the otherwise sleepy airport in the city received at least 30 private jets as the guest list was filled with who-is-who in Nigeria: captains of industry, politicians, former heads of state and presidents, and current top-ranking government officials.

Many commentators on social media pointed out how at the event, the fissures of the Nigerians society that are amplified by politics and often by even some of the politicians at the event disappeared. There was no Christian or Muslim, Northerner or Southerner, APC or PDP there – none of that mattered.

This scenario is not exclusive to this wedding, but it is what plays out often among Nigerian elites, politicians and power brokers. They are not beholden to the identities we know them most by – for them, ethnicity, religion and party affiliations are simply cards that they play in order to get a seat at the table of power and access to the benefits that come with it.

Right from pre-independence days, Nigerian politics has been dominated more by the ethnic, religious and regional calculations of the period and of the players than by the ideas with which they hope to govern the country and its component units.

In the Fourth Republic, for instance, we have had two federal elections dominated by this: the 2011 elections which was dominated by the talk of zoning and power rotation, especially within the PDP which then incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan was accused of usurping; and the 2015 elections which had the undertones of a power shift to the North.

Yet, in spite of all this, it is evident that political power in the hands of any segment of the population has not translated to economic development for that population; rather, it has ended in the enrichment of its elites. The eight years of the Obasanjo presidency did not make any particular difference in either the South-West neither did Jonathan’s five years on the South-South nor all the years that the North has been in power improved the standard of living in the region.

It shows without a doubt that the problems that assail Nigeria, on a general level, cut across: poverty is neither exclusive to the North nor the South, or to Muslims or Christians. Neither is corruption, illiteracy, poor healthcare, weak infrastructure, etc.

However, with each election, we only have an elite that further entrenches their personal economic interests and new elites that join their ranks. Also, with election, they use we the people, as fodder by whipping up sentiments and emotions while they climb our backs into power and wealth while we remain mired in the same old problems.

As such, it is imperative that Nigerians wake up to the realisation that we have to stop letting these politicians, who like wily old foxes, keep pulling us hither and thither by using the politics of religion, ethnicity and even party affiliation.

We must insist that politicians lead with the ideas they have for Nigeria rather than who should be in power based on their creed or ethnicity.

We are the marketplace and we have the power to define what value means to us. As long as we refuse to make the insistence that value in politics to us is not about the religious faith, ethnicity or the party affiliations of those in power but rather ideas and plans that will improve the fortunes of the country and our situation, the status quo will remain.

They will continue to tap into our sentiments and make us hate each other over irrelevancies while they meet at weddings and festivities, clinking glasses, making merriment and laughing at their good fortunes, and sadly, our own misfortunes.

This should be a wake-up call.

https://ynaija.com/ynaija-editorial-lessons-from-a-weekend-of-presidential-weddings/amp/

56 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by Laveda(f): 1:33pm On May 15, 2017
I wish they'll listen and use their Brain..

But these old men know their weakness, give them little change and make unrealistic promises they'll kill themselves for these politicians embarassed

I still see people supporting Buhari on Nairaland, and I ask if all is really well..

Nice thread Kel. .. I wish we can all see the light.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by seunny4lif(m): 1:38pm On May 15, 2017
Mmmmm
For sure all Nigerian politicians are the same.
No religion No Ethics just business cheesy grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by tolajay: 1:39pm On May 15, 2017
Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by AfroSamurai: 1:40pm On May 15, 2017
Laveda:

But these old men know their weakness, give them little change and make unrealistic promises they'll kill themselves for these politicians embarassed

I still see people supporting Buhari on Nairaland, and I ask if all is really well..

Can they be sicker than those who supported GEJ?

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 15, 2017
tolajay:
Hey! Kindly confirm your Twitter handle.
i don't have the app so I'm not really regular
Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by Laveda(f): 1:48pm On May 15, 2017
AfroSamurai:

GEJ was way better, that I can testify.

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by AfroSamurai: 1:52pm On May 15, 2017
Laveda:

That's a personal opinion. And your personal opinion doesn't cut across the six geo-political zone in Nigeria.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by AfroSamurai: 1:54pm On May 15, 2017
skarlett:

i don't have the app so I'm not really regular
The fourth republic was 1999, not 2011 or 2015. smiley
Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by Nobody: 1:57pm On May 15, 2017

1 Like

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by Mynd44: 2:03pm On May 15, 2017
Laveda:

This was cute and very wise

Until…..………

Laveda:

The fencists have gone extinct

19 Likes

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by AfroSamurai: 2:04pm On May 15, 2017
skarlett:

okay

source: https://ynaija.com/ynaija-editorial-lessons-from-a-weekend-of-presidential-weddings/amp/
Already read it. I'm sure you know it's a fool's errand.

Many nigerians, I'm afraid are shallow minded. What I've come to know is you can never reason with a shallow minded individual.

2 Likes

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by Agbafs2005(m): 4:34pm On May 15, 2017
Please tell them.....we go dey hia dey fight wen dem dey relax and laff at us. Politicians are friends, their thugs are enemies. Imagine!!

4 Likes

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by Nobody: 4:34pm On May 15, 2017
Chai
Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by estans(m): 4:34pm On May 15, 2017
I only learnt one thing... Na rich people dey marry rich people for naija... Na only Molly wood rich dey marry poor
Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by profhezekiah: 4:34pm On May 15, 2017
Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by JayRise(m): 4:35pm On May 15, 2017
Nice one. Lesson learnt

1 Like

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by Alisegun(m): 4:35pm On May 15, 2017
nice
Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by jeff1993: 4:35pm On May 15, 2017
AfroSamurai:
That's a personal opinion. And your personal opinion doesn't cut across the six geo-political zone in Nigeria.

Bro either u are still being fed by ur Mum or U are not a Nigerian or u just decided to b dumb to the Economic mishap ur God Buhari put us into

16 Likes

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by jejemanito: 4:36pm On May 15, 2017
Once made these quotes, still stand by them
jejemanito:
Honestly, how long will it take you guys to figure out how these men at the apex of our national food chain are using Ethnicity and tribal sentiments to hide the real deal- CLASS WAR - and keep on playing us huh?
jejemanito:

Afonjas, Igbos, Hausas what does it matter?

I might be ND, buh if I could I had shoot GEJ, Clark e.t.c. you name them

It's CLASS WAR. Stop fooling yourself with tribalism

3 Likes

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by nextstep(m): 4:36pm On May 15, 2017
We the masses are really fools. Elites are busy sharing cake, and we're fighting over what part of the country the crumbs come from...

2 Likes

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by BlindAngel: 4:36pm On May 15, 2017
AfroSamurai:

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by SageTravels: 4:37pm On May 15, 2017
If you like write Heaven and Earth some will never learn

3 Likes

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by Built2last: 4:37pm On May 15, 2017
Succinctly scripted
Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by DLondonboiy: 4:37pm On May 15, 2017
Lol
Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by Tenim47(m): 4:38pm On May 15, 2017
Category1:
Someone should have just thrown bomb in that wedding....at least naija problem go rest
u must be an ipob
Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by engrlarex(m): 4:39pm On May 15, 2017
Dear Nairalanders, these are the Nigerian political elites, seated under one table, having a blast and oblivious of the suffering some of you are going through.

These are the people you block and unfriend your real friends because you have given your brain to your village people.

I have this news for you: These guys don't know you, they don't care about your existence and they will do all within their powers to make sure that you are impoverished forever.

The only thing they care about is their stomach, their families and their bank account.

Let me say this, if you have insulted me or my mother before or deny my business a big opportunity because I wrote that Gej is clueless or that he abandoned the roads in the south/south or South East or you get angry because I wrote that Buhari and his people are incompetent, therefore you mark me as an enemy, I pray for you this evening from my heart; receive sense in Jesus name.

12 Likes

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by Goldenheart(m): 4:40pm On May 15, 2017
lipsrsealed

A time cometh when the Citizens of Federal Republic of Nigeria will revolutionize and they will use the Blood of politicians to cleanse Nigeria ....
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Editorial: Lessons From A Weekend Of Presidential Weddings by calyto: 4:41pm On May 15, 2017
Lessons learnt from this;Lessons learnt from that.....Yet you guys did not learn anything.

When will you guys stop going for these lessons?

grin grin grin

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kaduna Crash: Dolapo Osinbajo Visits Families Of Military Officers Who Died / Ihedioha Renames Jacob Zuma Road Owerri After Mbazuluike Amaechi / Patricia Etteh Celebrates Her 67th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.