Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,137 members, 7,780,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:04 AM

Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture (35572 Views)

Artist Reveals Faces Of Ancient Roman Emperors Using Uses AI Tech & Photoshop / Man Creates Sculpture Of Ambode, Tinubu With Human Hair (Photos) / See The Controversial Sculpture Spotted In Benue That Has Got People Talking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by YonkijiSappo: 12:20pm On May 16, 2017
Damien Hirst accused of copying African art at Venice Biennale

In the interview, Mr. Ehikhamenor said the Ife head “ is very, very famous.”
“It’s one of the most intricate and most beautiful works of art that were created by classical African artists,” he continued.

(CNN) - English artist Damien Hirst has been accused of cultural appropriation after his exhibition, "Treasures from the Wreck of the Unbelievable," featured a "golden head" that appears to mirror sculpted heads created by African artists from Ile-Ife Nigeria. Cradle of the West African Yoruba culture.

"For the thousands of viewers seeing this for the first time, they won't think Ife, they won't think Nigeria," Nigerian visual artist Victor Ehikhamenor wrote on his Instagram page, along with a picture he took of Hirst's "golden head" behind glass.

"The British are back for more from 1897 to 2017. The Ooni of Ife must hear this. "Golden heads (Female)" by Damien Hirst currently part of his Venice show "Treasures from the Wreck of the Unbelievable" at Palazzo Grassi. For the thousands of viewers seeing this for the first time, they won't think Ife, they won't think Nigeria. Their young ones will grow up to know this work as Damien Hirst's. As time passes it will pass for a Damien Hirst regardless of his small print caption. The narrative will shift and the young Ife or Nigerian contemporary artist will someday be told by a long nose critic "Your work reminds me of Damien Hirst's Golden Head". We need more biographers for our forgotten. #ifesculptures #classicnigerianart #workbynigerianartist #ifenigeria #lestweforget #nigeria #abiographyoftheforgotten"

"Their young ones will grow up to know this work as Damien Hirst's. The narrative will shift and the young Ife or Nigerian contemporary artist will someday be told by a long nose critique, 'Your work reminds me of Damien Hirst's Golden Head,'" wrote Ehikhamenor, who with Hirst is exhibiting this year at the Venice Biennale.
A spokesperson for Damien Hirst said: "The Treasures are a collection of works influenced by a wide range of cultures and stories from across the globe and throughout history -- indeed many of the works celebrate original and important artworks from the past.

"A reference to the Ife heads is in the text accompanying the work and in the guide to the exhibition and is integral to the concept of the work."
Hirst initially declined to talk with CNN, instead referring questions through a spokesperson to curator Elena Geuna.

"The exhibition features two types of captions: the label inside the cabinet, which is part of the artwork and the leaflet, describing the works in the show," Geuna told CNN. "Both captions contain a reference to the Ife heads." The label inside the cabinet on Hirst's piece reads: "Golden heads (Female),'" and the Kingdom of Ife is referenced there and in the guide.

"One of the sources of inspiration for the exhibition is the collection of the British Museum, in London, where the Ife heads are displayed," Geuna said. "An Ife head from the British Museum collection has also been included in the famous book, 'A History of the World in 100 Objects' by the former museum director Neil MacGregor."
"The Damien Hirst work does mirror that of the Ife craftsmen of the early 14th-15th Century," the SOAS statement read. "The form of the Hirst head, with its striations, clearly echoes those Ife examples which emerged from the sacred shrine at Wunmonije Compound in the 1930s."

This is a landmark year at the Venice Biennale for Nigeria, which for the first time has its own pavilion. Ehikhamenor is one of three artists exhibiting in that pavilion, alongside Peju Alatise and Qudus Onikeku.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/10/africa/damien-hirst-appropriation-venice-biennale/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by Nobody: 12:20pm On May 16, 2017
cheesy cheesy cheesy

Nigerians will react, i know them... cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by YonkijiSappo: 12:23pm On May 16, 2017
They once described us as primitive people who never developed anything worthwhile or worthy of appreciation.
Why are they now shamelessly copying our "worthless" artworks for display at their exhibitions?

102 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by sod09(m): 12:24pm On May 16, 2017
its a lie the artist is a nigerian and also yoruba........his name is olaolu, he knows what hes doing

4 Likes

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by newyorks(m): 12:25pm On May 16, 2017
why copying someone's work forget not to change his normenclechor to ur.
Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by YonkijiSappo: 12:26pm On May 16, 2017
sod09:
its a lie the artist is a nigerian and also yoruba........his name is olaolu, he knows what hes doing

Can you read at all? angry

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by sod09(m): 12:29pm On May 16, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

Can you read at all? angry
i dont need to read ur epistle,wat do you mean by underfire for plagiarizing

1 Like

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by YonkijiSappo: 12:31pm On May 16, 2017
sod09:

So many little children loittering and cluttering cyberspace these days sef.
Can't we have a "kids" category on Nairaland?

89 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by sod09(m): 12:33pm On May 16, 2017
mumu u wan enter fp with copy nd paste grin grin grin grin
YonkijiSappo:

3 Likes

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by YonkijiSappo: 12:34pm On May 16, 2017
That is what happens when Africans don't appreciate their cultures and call it "Evil"
The smart "long nosed" people will surely help you use it to make cool cash- while you keep labelling it as "juju" cheesy

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by OmoIgala: 12:39pm On May 16, 2017
The Ooni of Ife must hear this.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by sotall(m): 1:35pm On May 16, 2017
ok
Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by EmekaBlue(m): 1:35pm On May 16, 2017
grin He likes it na
Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by MasterChen: 1:35pm On May 16, 2017
sod09:
mumu u wan enter fp with copy nd paste

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by Goldenheart(m): 1:36pm On May 16, 2017
tongue
Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by kuchikau: 1:36pm On May 16, 2017
...........Let me use dis opportunity to advise guys who foolishily follow/live their lives to please girls. U are on ur way to your early grave.
See the way nairalanders adores some stupid girls here makes me go gaga. I dont really undastand whats so special about their toto or nyash or breast.
It takes only a woman to bring a very strong man to his knees.
For Gods sake why do men follow women about like sheep with direction.
A gal dat mensturates evry 28days, wets her dirty smelling pants, yet u behave like an idiot before her. Wetin they hungry u for her stupid body?
ThankGod for my kind of friends.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by paulsibility(m): 1:36pm On May 16, 2017
Until lions have their historians, tales of the forest will always favour the hunters.

Until we Africans rise up to document, cherish, appreciate and defend our our "things" , The Whites will always have a way of stealing our "best"

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by julimax(m): 1:36pm On May 16, 2017
this is just unacceptable

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by maryjan8(f): 1:37pm On May 16, 2017
Ok
Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by Nobody: 1:38pm On May 16, 2017
The Thunder that will fire the guy is doing press up ryt now

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by sod09(m): 1:39pm On May 16, 2017
MasterChen:

who is this one....nairaland is out of news so anything goes to front page, just include pictures.
Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by jashar(f): 1:40pm On May 16, 2017
Let the tables be turned na..... at least we have something to be copied
Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by Nobody: 1:42pm On May 16, 2017
newyorks:
why copying someone's work forget not to change his normenclechor to ur.

Nomenclature you mean? undecided

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by SexyNairalander: 1:43pm On May 16, 2017
booked
Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by Sleezwizz: 1:51pm On May 16, 2017
Copy copy

In other news... Are u a salary earner and you need an instant loan to take care of your urgent financial needs? Check my signature. Get a loan within 24hrs after submitting all necessary documents...
Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by jieta: 1:51pm On May 16, 2017
kuchikau:
...........Let me use dis opportunity to advise guys who foolishily follow/live their lives to please girls. U are on ur way to your early grave.
See the way nairalanders adores some stupid girls here makes me go gaga. I dont really undastand whats so special about their toto or nyash or breast.
A gal dat mensturates evry 28days, wets her dirty smelling pants, yet u behave like an idiot before her. Wetin they hungry u for her stupid body?
na konji dey cause am.
Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by wayne4loan: 1:54pm On May 16, 2017
If na my muslim brothers , twenty head for done fall ...... Ndi-ara

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by megbu: 1:59pm On May 16, 2017
I know the Brits will find a way to down play this revelation and have their way as usual. This is what Ms Adichie referred to as 'Nkali' in her famous ted talk, THE DANGER OF A SINGLE STORY. In a hundred years time if we are not careful our children might read about how the English taught all these original arts to Africa. Surely the can make any story the definitive story of any race or group.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by tonytony208(m): 2:03pm On May 16, 2017
sod09:

No wonder your comment sounds stupid and blind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by tonytony208(m): 2:05pm On May 16, 2017
kuchikau:

If your mother didn't menstrate and wet her dirty smelling pants, you won't be alive today.

4 Likes

Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by Onyenna(m): 2:07pm On May 16, 2017
Owu gini na-afio ebe a?
Re: Damien Hirst Accused Of Plagiarizing Nigerian Ile-Ife Ancient Sculpture by 9jakool: 2:08pm On May 16, 2017
sod09:

These new age Edo children are so predictable. Lies and fabrication runs in their DNA. Stop your unnecessary wailing.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Nairalander Sculpting A Life Size Human Head / Meet Laetitia Ky, Ivorian Artist Who Makes Sculptures Out Of Her Hair (photos) / I Am "Herbay Grafix", And I Love To Design! Check Out My Designs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.