Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers (44315 Views)

El-rufai Returns To Nigeria After Widespread Rumours Of Being Dead. Pictures / Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup / Buratai Warns Commanders Against Fleeing From Terrorists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by thinkmoney(m): 4:54pm On May 17, 2017
My strong take on this is that, military coup will be a grave miscalculation. Everywhere will burn. There are enough disgruntled elements, militants, cultist, criminals and individuals with enough sophisticated weapons. A coup will trigger chaos. Nigeria will never come out of the consequence whole.
Second, a coup is worse when its orchestrated by somebody with passion but little expertise. He will eventually resort to torture and oppression to keep himself in power and their will be nobody to check him.
Buhari to me as passion but little expertise. But at least he is in a democracy he can be checked.

2 Likes

Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by oyatz(m): 2:55am On May 18, 2017
Military coup at this time is a very dangerous and unwise decision.
1) The incumbent administration, no matter its shortcomings, derives its mandate from the people, thus it has legitimacy but inspite of that its still finding it difficult to keep Nigeria one happy united country.
2) Military governments have legitimacy problems but sustain themselves in power through the monopoly of instruments of violence (weapons) and control of flow of information. Anyone who has lived in Nigeria for the past 40 years will know that these are no longer possible in 2017 Nigeria.
3)The period from 1999-2017 represent the longest period of Democratic rule in Nigeria, producing many Nigerians who have tasted POWER as Presidents, Senators, Governors, Legislators,Ambassors and various kinds of political office holders,thus a new crop of ambitious Nigerians have been raised who will not want to leave power for the military boys easily.
Although, these people may not face the military directly but they have amassed stupendous wealth, which if in the hands of disgruntled, embittered and ambitious political class can bring down any government by sponsoring insurgencies in their tribal enclaves.
4) The Arab spring which led to collapses of many authoritarian regimes especially that of Ghadaffi led to the proliferation of dangerous arms which soon found their ways into the hands of uncoordinated non-state combatants. This led to the rise of very dangerous violent groups like ISIS, AQIM, Book Haram that threaten the security of whole nations .This also ensured the supply of weapons to political groups like MEND, Niger delta avengers etc.
5) The Military may seize power but Nigeria will descend into Syrian-styled conflagration with many foreign powers that will want to profit from the ensuring anarchy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by Nobody: 6:44am On May 18, 2017
If after 20 years we are making no progress with democracy, perhaps an intervention of some sorts to reset and put our democracy on right footing and path may be the only way to make progress.

Even as we are just a few days away from June 2017 the bunch of corrupt clowns that we call our federal lawmakers are yet to formally transmit the 2017 budget to the presidency.

Every effort to fix the country is sabotaged by corrupt interest groups who rely on our corrupt and useless constitution to protect them from facing speedy justice.

Nigerian problem can not be fixed in stages , wholesale solution is needed.
Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by seguno2: 6:55am On May 18, 2017
GenBuhari:
If after 20 years we are making no progress with democracy, perhaps an intervention of some sorts to reset and put our democracy on right footing and path may be the only way to make progress.

Even as we are just a few days away from June 2017 the bunch of corrupt clowns that we call our federal lawmakers are yet to formally transmit the 2017 budget to the presidency.

Every effort to fix the country is sabotaged by corrupt interest groups who rely on our corrupt and useless constitution to protect them from facing speedy justice.

Nigerian problem can not be fixed in stages , wholesale solution is needed.

Those who wish for military rule are those who think they are helpless and hopeless in getting involved to fix the problems of our society.
Could it be a sign of mental laziness?
Can you please point out just one country whose problem was not fixed (and continues to be fixed) in stages?

2 Likes

Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by hero2000: 10:44am On May 18, 2017
Spidermon:
I dont see any difference, if anything I actually prefer the military.

Forget freedom of speech. Is it on NL that you will say something and seun ala mods will ban you like say dem be custom officer?

The political system needs a reset.

If we CANT have true federalism, then they should do what they like..

Afterall, nobody wants to come out to protest. nobody wan die.

Actually, it will be worse.
Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by hero2000: 1:23pm On May 18, 2017
hardbody:

Nicely said. I have not lived overseas, I have had frequent visits and have noticed how things work in all those climes. The led do not give room for the leaders to exercise the brazen roguery that pervades our environment here, therefore there is no basis for the military to get interested in politics.

Here, the simpleton on the street collects N5k, loaves of bread, sacks of garri and then mortgages his soul. The Politician comes in and tries to recover his money spent on the voters and make some profit (afterall it is a business venture), then everything is left rotting away no one willing to bail the cat, so what is the way out of the wood. We get what we deserve. Until we learn to be objective, assess politicians and vote for them on the basis of their antecedents and desire to perform, not all these south west north divide (wailers and zombies as some people choose to christen them), then bro, let the military come. It took a Jerry Rawlings in Ghana to reset that country and put it back on the path of economic recovery. If we can get that to happen here, no regrets.

Those are my views. I remain apolitical, reason is simple, they make it impossible for right thinking people to aspire to lead. How much is the cost of acquiring forms to elective positions? How many honest and hardworking men and women can afford this? And when you borrow to acquire the forms, won't you pay back with interest? where will the money come from? Looting.

Compare the scenario with the western states you spoke about. We deserve whatever comes to us bro

" Until we learn to be objective, assess politicians and vote for them on the basis of their antecedents and desire to perform, not all these south west north divide , then bro, let the military come."

When will we ever learn if we desire to truncate the process of learning! Your comment is congruent with the lack of responsibility many Nigerians exhibit. Instead of working towards reforming the system they hopelessly hands up! Some even go as far on the irresponsibility continuum by desiring the British to recolonize us! Talk of ignorance!

"It took a Jerry Rawlings in Ghana to reset that country and put it back on the path of economic recovery. If we can get that to happen here, no regrets."

Why would you play Russian roulette with the lives of 200million people? WHY? You fantasize of Rawlings of Ghana, what if you get a Kabila or another Abacha instead?

My brother, think!
Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by hero2000: 1:26pm On May 18, 2017
DJInfluence:
Buratai abi Burukutu... You are your so called top brass want to chop alone, una no want the others to get aspiration? In fact, if any miliraty group get the mind to stage a coup, i will support them because this politicians worse pass the milliarty we chased out.

How old were you in 1999?
Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by DJInfluence: 1:37pm On May 18, 2017
hero2000:

How old were you in 1999?
Haha, abeg ask this question again but in slow motion.

meanwhile, i sure say you are not older than i am but who is counting.
Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by hero2000: 1:51pm On May 18, 2017
bigdoo:
If the coup is about flushing out all our ex presidents, senators, governors, ministers, LGA chairmen, councillors, political appointees and all those who have embezzled public funds and then taking over all their assets including private houses, money,jets etc and turning them into government property, then I fully support the coup. This is similar to what Rawlings did in Ghana.

Nigeria needs a fresh start. There is too much greed, corruption and inequality with those who have illegitimately amassed some wealth becoming so proud and arrogant while the masses just live as their slaves. A real revolution is needed in Nigeria and the civilians cannot do it successfully on their own.

Your fantasy is ridiculous! So you expect the military to give Nigeria a fresh start.

Do you know history of Nigeria at all? Just ask your uncle. He will tell you much about it, except he is a soldier too.
Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by hero2000: 1:53pm On May 18, 2017
Bridget95:
story for the gods...

But Abacha's government is better than this current APC's government.When Abacha was in power,Nigerians could afford three square meals unlike what is obtainable now.

We couldn't afford 3 square meals then, fuel was gold, military oppressing everywhere...
Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by hero2000: 2:05pm On May 18, 2017
DJInfluence:
Haha, abeg ask this question again but in slow motion.

meanwhile, i sure say you are not older than i am but who is counting.

I asked because you said the politicians are worse than the military 'we' chased out. As if you were part of them.

And judging from your comments I don't think you were a teenager in 1999. Cos if you were you would understand the oppression by the military. I know they still oppress people now but it will be worse! Now you can take them to court for maltreatment. The other day Fashola's convoy as governor stopped a colonel driving illegally on BRT. During military rule they run everywhere!

If an military officer's wife likes the location of your mother's shop in the market her husband only has to instruct soldiers to evict your mother and THAT WOULD BE THE END OF IT! Nobody will save her. Except God.

Be careful what you wish for.

1 Like

Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by TheKingdom: 5:26pm On May 18, 2017
EternalTruths:
Any coup will lead to the disintegration of Nigeria

Nigeria has already failed...can you imagine French army officer running mouth about coup? Read the handwritings on the wall and know your forefathers were great nations before Englishmen came here to bi.chslap you
Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by tuniski: 5:42pm On May 18, 2017
mansakhalifa:
I am laughing really hard at some of the comments here defending and upholding "democracy". A military take-over is the last thing we need. True. But then look at it this way,what we have been operating since 1999 isn't exactly a democracy. A lot of what were obtainable during the military are still obtainable today and truth be told with the way things are going it will take a huge streak of luck to keep the military out for long. As a keen student of Nigerian history,I have observed that the very factors that led to the coups witnessed in the country prior to 1999 are still very much inherent in our politics. Corruption,do-or-die politics,nepotism and tribalism,etc. So,seriously,we have been very lucky to have kept the military out for 18 good years.
The military is the root of our national backwardness!
Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by hardbody: 9:12pm On May 18, 2017
hero2000:

" Until we learn to be objective, assess politicians and vote for them on the basis of their antecedents and desire to perform, not all these south west north divide , then bro, let the military come."

When will we ever learn if we desire to truncate the process of learning! Your comment is congruent with the lack of responsibility many Nigerians exhibit. Instead of working towards reforming the system they hopelessly hands up! Some even go as far on the irresponsibility continuum by desiring the British to recolonize us! Talk of ignorance!

"It took a Jerry Rawlings in Ghana to reset that country and put it back on the path of economic recovery. If we can get that to happen here, no regrets."

Why would you play Russian roulette with the lives of 200million people? WHY? You fantasize of Rawlings of Ghana, what if you get a Kabila or another Abacha instead?

My brother, think!

We get what we deserve bro.

This conversation wouldn't happen if we voted right and politicians acted properly
Re: Rumours Of Military Coup Spread In Nigeria, Buratai Warns Soldiers by DJInfluence: 8:50am On May 19, 2017
hero2000:

I asked because you said the politicians are worse than the military 'we' chased out. As if you were part of them.

And judging from your comments I don't think you were a teenager in 1999. Cos if you were you would understand the oppression by the military. I know they still oppress people now but it will be worse! Now you can take them to court for maltreatment. The other day Fashola's convoy as governor stopped a colonel driving illegally on BRT. During military rule they run everywhere!

If an military officer's wife likes the location of your mother's shop in the market her husband only has to instruct soldiers to evict your mother and THAT WOULD BE THE END OF IT! Nobody will save her. Except God.

Be careful what you wish for.
To this comment i can relate with and agree with you. What i meant though, was that the common wealth of the country was not stolen like this back then. Most of the infrastructures we have today were built during Millitary rules. Federal govt hardly do anything these days other than try to repairs old structures that wont last (the national Stadium Lagos, Theater and many Federal roads comes to mind) they hardly start from scratch to build something similar that is up to today´s standard. But yeah on individual level, you are right the soldiers get power drunk.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Life Belongs To My Country - Nigerian Soldier, Habu Sabo (pic) / Only God Will Save Tinubu If He Loses In Court – Shehu Sani / Fulani Herdsmen Destroy N20million Rice Farm In Anambra - Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.