Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,885 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' (9580 Views)

Poll: How do you view Songs of Solomon? As love between:

a man and woman: 74% (40 votes)
God and mankind: 25% (14 votes)
This poll has ended

Happy Sunday: Is Having Sex As Couple Before Going To Church Godly Or Ungodly? / Why Is Songs Of Solomon Always Exempted From Church Teachings ? / Why Do Preachers Avoid Songs Of Solomon? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by JeSoul(f): 12:33am On Jan 13, 2010
Most preachers do not even preach from it, I guess they are scared of something lol. Personally, I think its a fascinating book with incredibly great poetry.

Some christians choose to view it as symbolism, God's love to man, others (myself included) as love between a man and woman. I'm curious as to which side of the isle NL christians sit on. Please have your say . . .

Edit: Oh dear. It appears the thread so far has gone in a direction I was not seeking. Ejo, subsequent posters please address the topic. Gracias!

EDIT#2: Please note: In regards to the title, of course I do not personally think SOS is "unholy and ungodly", it was simply a play on words to reflect how people in general shy away from the book. It seems this obvious fact is not that obvious to many.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 12:42am On Jan 13, 2010
Off course now . . .

- Imagine asking someone like me to preach from it . . .  grin grin grin . . . na to have complete mental breakdown be that . . . I do not really know that part of the bible yet i am already messed up mentally. . . . imagine if i now know the details.

- This is a nice topic . . . I would not mind for you to handle . . . cus i sincerely do not trust myself to handle such a topic . . .

--------------------------------------------------
@offtopic

I still never get the confidence to ready your email replies . . . am still in some kind of shock, guilt and disappointment with myself.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by AbuZola3(m): 12:45am On Jan 13, 2010
Wow ! Interesting
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by Okijajuju1(m): 12:48am On Jan 13, 2010
grin

dirty minds,
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by GoodMuyis(m): 12:50am On Jan 13, 2010
Instruction:Please Read The whole Book again and come back
I will give you reply then and remember to follow the instruction first

[img]http://outkasty.files./2007/11/laughing.jpg[/img]

LOL
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by JeSoul(f): 1:03am On Jan 13, 2010
Okay I know I started out joking a bit, but I'm honestly seeking genuine replies on the subject matter. Thanks.

No2Atheism:

Off course now . . .

- Imagine asking someone like me to preach from it . . . grin grin grin . . . na to have complete mental breakdown be that . . . I do not really know that part of the bible yet i am already messed up mentally. . . . imagine if i now know the details.

- This is a nice topic . . . I would not mind for you to handle . . . cus i sincerely do not trust myself to handle such a topic . . .

--------------------------------------------------
@offtopic

I still never get the confidence to ready your email replies . . . am still in some kind of shock, guilt and disappointment with myself.
No qualms bro. I understand. Did you check out the sermon?
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 1:13am On Jan 13, 2010
JeSoul:

No qualms bro. I understand. Did you check out the sermon?

I did not know that you sent links of sermons . . . maybe cus i never check the emails. . .

Try and send it again . . . as I am still too scared to open the other emails yet . . . grin . . .

When u send it this time, let it only contain the sermons or the links for the sermons . . . and then make sure the title of the email is called "Requested Sermons". Hence that way my mind would not immediately firewall it , .

Thanks . . .
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 1:13am On Jan 13, 2010
@topic

Seriously Jesoul, I would appreciate that you treat this topic . . . i have heard snippets about it also but i have not really come to study it myself . . .
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by SeanT21(f): 1:17am On Jan 13, 2010
I was just thinking about this today. I was asking myself, "what do people learn from Songs Of Solomon". I rarely pay attention to it frankly. "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth: for thy love is better than wine.", blah blah. It is just a boring love letter between Solomon and his lover. Why read Songs of Solomon when I can read Proverbs and gain more wisdom.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 1:29am On Jan 13, 2010
SeanT21:

I was just thinking about this today. I was asking myself, "what do people learn from Songs Of Solomon". I rarely pay attention to it frankly. "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth: for thy love is better than wine.", blah blah. It is just a boring love letter between Solomon and his lover. Why read Songs of Solomon when I can read Proverbs and gain more wisdom.

grin Stop the holier than thou thingy grin

You make it sound as if you would complain if Solomon was writing it to you . . .

- I think its the holier than thou thingy thats making people uncomfortable with tackling the topic . . . personally i have nothing to lose by tackling it (I am messed up already) . . . its just that i sincerely have not read it at all hence I am not in a position to comment on it.

- It was too long winded for my brain to follow . . . my attention span is not that long . . . and since i am not really a fan of lovey dovey thingies . . . its easy to understand why i have not really been into study that particular book of the Bible.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by SeanT21(f): 1:35am On Jan 13, 2010
noo, not at all. Just find it boring. Probably the only book in the bible that I do not enjoy reading. I usually try but stop somewhere in the middle of the chapter. I will say that, I do not believe that the book is Ungodly or unholy..

No2Atheism:

grin Stop the holier than thou thingy grin

You make it sound as if you would complain if Solomon was writing it to you . . .

- I think its the holier than thou thingy thats making people uncomfortable with tackling the topic . . . personally i have nothing to lose by tackling it (I am messed up already) . . . its just that i sincerely have not read it at all hence I am not in a position to comment on it.

- It was too long winded for my brain to follow . . . my attention span is not that long . . . and since i am not really a fan of lovey dovey thingies . . . its easy to understand why i have not really been into study that particular book of the Bible.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by Nobody: 1:41am On Jan 13, 2010
This is what I deduce from Songs of Solomon. . .

Nothing wrong in writing poems, love lyrics and showing your affection to someone you love. kiss
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 1:45am On Jan 13, 2010
stillwater:

This is what I deduce from Songs of Solomon. . .

Nothing wrong in writing poems, love lyrics and showing your affection to someone you love. kiss

True that . . .
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 1:46am On Jan 13, 2010
Stillwater . . .  how far, how u dey . . . hope u have not forgotten the advise . . .
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 1:52am On Jan 13, 2010
SeanT21:

noo, not at all. Just find it boring. Probably the only book in the bible that I do not enjoy reading. I usually try but stop somewhere in the middle of the chapter. I will say that, I do not believe that the book is Ungodly or unholy..

- No it is not boring  angry . . . unless u are a tomboy . . .  grin

- Cus most ladies that i know tend to like discussing or watching or reading about things like that in Songs of Solomon . . .

- Overall, the problem is that sex, intimacy, love and relationships has become seriously bastardised that people now think of it as something dirty ,  .hence why a lot of people tend to avoid such a discussion in a religious setting.

- Personally the reason i have not read it has more to do with the fact that:

1. I don't like reading.
2. Romantic scenarios are not really my thing.
3. I prefer to live through the romance rather than read it.
4. I have a short attention span hence i doubht i would be able to read that book through.

Other than the reasons above . . . i really don't think there is a big deal about Songs of Solomon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets rememeber that there is a portion of the bible that said that: Abraham and Sarah were playing (which is normal), hence from a certain perspective, romance, love letters and love songs are not itself wrong . . . otherwise the bible would have said so. The problem however is that our (me included  grin) exposure to p.ornography , lewd movies  as ended up warping our minds to an extent that most people now feel uncomfortable discussing romantic and love related issues in a spiritual setting.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by olabowale(m): 1:55am On Jan 13, 2010
@No2Atheism: Your wife will be a woman that either suffers silently or a woman who has no knowledge of what romance is, all because you lack the lovey dovey genetic trait. I thought that Jesus taught love and in a gentle as a dove way?

But with such a short attention span, no wonder you cant enjoy what "the wiseman King solomon" was saying. I see the reason what I write always fly over your head. My girl JeSoul is taking you to school, yet you cant even have a "lion hearted courage" to read it. You are scared almost out of your own skin; wow, man.

@JeSoul; Its the bohemian poet in you that is making you such a distinguished "preacher/teacher". If only it was the real deal. Just if only!
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by TV01(m): 1:56am On Jan 13, 2010
JeSoul:

Most preachers do not even preach from it, I guess they are scared of something lol. Personally, I think its a fantastic book with incredibly great poetry.

Some christians choose to view it as symbolism, God's love to man, others (myself included) as love between a man and woman. I'm curious as to which side of the isle NL christians sit on. Please have your say . . .

Hi JeSoul & discussants,

This poster sits on neither side. Application wise, instuction wise and in other ways, I concur with both. But revelationally, I see Christ and His bride. And more sinisterly, those that could easily be mistaken for her, outnumber her and war against her.

How's Beantown? I have fond memories.

God bless
TV
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by GoodMuyis(m): 1:56am On Jan 13, 2010
Hello friend
If you don't understand the Book Its not that necessary as a preacher there are many place you can point out God's Love for man John 3:16
Well my advice is that:
if you feel bored when reading it,
Start reading proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Hebrew, Revelation
i hope that will make you mush attentive than the songs

I hope that sound good
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by SeanT21(f): 2:00am On Jan 13, 2010

1: I am not a tomboy but reading love letters are boring. Why not just get a romance novel?
?

This is for No2atheism.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by AbuZola3(m): 2:01am On Jan 13, 2010
Thank God, the christians are now acknowledging the err, lewdness and aspersion in their holy book. Once again i thank God am a muslim
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by mamagee3(f): 2:02am On Jan 13, 2010
Read the whole chapter of the Bible, it says everything about God.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 2:04am On Jan 13, 2010
olabowale:

@No2Atheism: Your wife will be a woman that either suffers silently or a woman who has no knowledge of what romance is, all because you lack the lovey dovey genetic trait. I thought that Jesus taught love and in a gentle as a dove way?

But with such a short attention span, no wonder you cant enjoy what "the wiseman King solomon" was saying. I see the reason what I write always fly over your head. My girl JeSoul is taking you to school, yet you cant even have a "lion hearted courage" to read it. You are scared almost out of your own skin; wow, man.

@JeSoul; Its the bohemian poet in you that is making you such a distinguished "preacher/teacher". If only it was the real deal. Just if only!

Alhaji,

Abeg stop talking about what you do not know . . .

Those ladies who know me personally know that I am as romantic as they come . . .  grin grin grin . . . the thing is just that there is a time of lovey dovey . . . I am not one that shies away from showing my romantic side in public . . . I am willing to do anything (legal) and romantic (biblical) whether in public or private that would make my woman (who ever she ends up being) feel loved and the center of attention.

When I say lovey dovey: I mean romantic stereotypes that people are expected to follow (for example I don't believe in cards . . . cus they are worthless to me . . . i prefer to give my woman something much more valuable than cards . . . and something that she would be using and hence always rememembering who gave her and why she was given) . . . I am not a conformist hence I don't show my romantic sides through expected stereotypical ways or manner.

1 Like

Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 2:08am On Jan 13, 2010
olabowale:

- Alhaji . . . Jesoul is not your girl . . .

- Ask Jesoul herself and she would tell you whether i have lion hearted courage or not . . .

- Romance does not scare me . . . far from it . . . it comes naturally for me . . . THE POINT I HAVE TRYING TO MAKE IS THAT I AM NOT A CONFORMIST . . . HENCE HOW I SHOW MY LOVE FOR A WOMAN IS NOT THE USUAL STEREOTYPICAL MANNER.

Alhaji . . . i hope you do not have other intentions for Jesoul . . .
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by SeanT21(f): 2:10am On Jan 13, 2010
Abu Zola:

Thank God, the christians are now acknowledging the err, lewdness and aspersion in their holy book. Once again i thank God am a muslim

*wave to abuzola*. LOL.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 2:12am On Jan 13, 2010
SeanT21:

1. Since you don't like reading, do U read the other chapters?

[b]This is for No2atheism
wink

- Yes I sometimes read other chapters . . .

- I am a scientist by nature hence off course i read . . .its just that my pattern of thought are areas of interest does not allow me to sustain a reading interest in the books of solomon.

- Like I said, I prefer to live the romance rather than read the romance . . .

2. I am not a tomboy but reading love letters are boring. Why not just get a romance novel??[/b]

I know a tomboy when i see one . . .
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 2:12am On Jan 13, 2010
SeanT21:

*wave to abuzola*. LOL.

- Just ignore him . . .

- He does not yet know how to switch between combat mode and normal mode . . .
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by SeanT21(f): 2:15am On Jan 13, 2010
No2Atheism:

- Yes I sometimes read other chapters . . .

- I am a scientist by nature hence off course i read . . .its just that my pattern of thought are areas of interest does not allow me to sustain a reading interest in the books of solomon.

- Like I said, I prefer to live the romance rather than read the romance . . .

I know a tomboy when i see one . . .

U are falsely accusing me of being something I am not. Not fair at all.. cry tongue
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 2:17am On Jan 13, 2010
SeanT21:

U are falsely accusing me of being something I am not. Not fair at all.. cry tongue

shocked Apologises then . . . its just that you sound like one . . .
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by SeanT21(f): 2:18am On Jan 13, 2010
^^^^No problem.^^^ wink
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by olabowale(m): 2:54am On Jan 13, 2010
@No2Atheism: « #22 on: Today at 02:08:42 AM »
- Alhaji . . . Jesoul is not your girl . . .
She is my girl, in a term of endearment way. I can be in boston before its daybreak. You have to have a tiring Journey to arrive there. Since she is a Nigerian, I have big name nigerians there already. Am sure she will know some of them. Or some older people she knows will know at least one of them: Balogun dodon dawa! Thats a hint!

- Ask Jesoul herself and she would tell you whether i have lion hearted courage or not . . .[/quote[I dont have to go that far; your post on this thread tells me and many your courage or lack of it, in your heart.

- Romance does not scare me . . . far from it . . . it comes naturally for me . . . THE POINT I HAVE TRYING TO MAKE IS THAT I AM NOT A CONFORMIST . . . HENCE HOW I SHOW MY LOVE FOR A WOMAN IS NOT THE USUAL STEREOTYPICAL MANNER.
There is nothing sterotypical about romance, just like the taste for a specific partner. In all its variants, there is a common thread; the happiness of the other person. When you are not lovey dovey, I wonder how you express love and romance?

[Quote]Alhaji . . . i hope you do not have other intentions for Jesoul . . .
whatever. the peot knows my intention, as i have expressed it above. the same intention for you, too.

[/quote]
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by JeSoul(f): 4:16am On Jan 13, 2010
Alhaji & No2, ogas while the friendly banter is most wonderful, ejo, please lets stick to the topic eh, thank you! smiley

Alhaji, it is always good to hear from you and to know you are well in good ol' NYC. No2, you are hereby ordered to read your emails.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by JeSoul(f): 4:23am On Jan 13, 2010
SeanT, please note the "unholy & ungodly" phrasing was merely a play and meant to reflect the hands-off attitude most christians have to the SOS, not necessarily that I think it to be so wink.

In regards to your entry on the topic. Quick story. Last year I stumbled into a retro record store with every oldie cd imaginable. Needless to say I was like a kid in a candy store. I picked up an old cd from an rnb group from the 90s called SWV (you may know them?). I loved these girls at the time couldn't wait to spin the cd. I got home and as I played it, for the first time really I was paying attention to the lyrics, to the overall message and found that it was not me. This music was no longer something that I could enjoy or relate to. I was the past the stage where this particular music was no longer suited for me.

My point is perhaps SOS does not mean much to you now and you may not get anything from it when you read it. But I am almost certain a time will come when its messages and stories will mean a lot to you and you'll be able to benefit from them. Thanks for passing thru girl! kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Collecting Change After Giving Offering / The Concept Of Trinity: What Is Your Perception Of God The Holy Spirit? / Delivered From 20-Year Drug Addiction: Grace Testimony From United States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.