Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:10 PM

Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment (2108 Views)

This Job Will Put An End To Unemployment In Nigeria / Learn Academic Writing And Say Goodbye To Unemployment / Unemployment - Why A Fool Is Always Successful In Job Hunting Than A Wise Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by SplitSolutions: 5:05pm On May 17, 2017
Employability can be defined as a person’s capability of gaining initial employment, maintaining employment and obtaining new employment if required (Hillage and Pollard, 1998). You are underemployed if you do not have enough paid work or you are on a job that does not make full use of your skills and abilities.

As a premise for our discourse, let’s consider the following statistics:
• An estimated 1.6 million graduates join the labor market annually (Nigerian Bureau of Statistics).
• The total number of jobs generated in the second and third quarters of 2016 stood at 342,670 with the informal sector recording a larger share of new jobs (Nigerian Bureau of Statistics).
• Nigeria’s unemployment rate stood at 13.9 per cent in the 3rd quarter of 2016 (NBS).
• In 2015, an estimated 1 million applications were received to fill 725 positions in the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) recruitment exercise.
• About 80% of available jobs are never advertised (Forbes).
• Many companies use talent-management software to screen resumes, weeding out up to 50% of applications before anyone ever looks at a resume or cover letter (Forbes).
• What do employers look for before making an offer? About 36% look for multitasking skills; 31% look for initiative; 21% look for creative thinking; and 12% look for something else in the candidate (Forbes).

If you want to land the ideal job, you have to start doing less of what everyone else is doing and more of what 90% of job applicants are not doing. We've put together 8 things you can do differently to increase your chances of securing your ideal job:

1. Recognize that job search is a separate skill and process.
The where-to, how-to and when-to is a skill set that can’t be developed overnight. You will have to invest energy in the learning process. Simply put, job search is a job on its own. You have to put in enough time weekly and not just depend on subscription-based job placement mails or newspaper publications.

2. Make a list, do some research.
Draw up a list of 15–20 companies you’d like to work in. Research them thoroughly and find out the best 10 that fit your career objectives. Research their previous recruitment exercises to know when next they’ll likely be recruiting, the likely roles, the nature of the recruitment process and the skill set and certifications that will make you the best fit for the role. Develop yourself along the line of your findings, don’t be in a hurry to apply. In addition to you standing out from other candidates, you’d be better prepared during interviews.

3. Only apply for jobs you are qualified for.
Of course only few candidates can meet all the requirements on the job posting, however, identify the key requirements and duties and if you are convinced you can make a significant contribution on the role, then proceed with your application. Applying for jobs you’re unqualified for can hurt your chances at future positions with the company too as some companies maintain a 'blacklist'.

4. Use different approaches to job seeking.
The regular approach is to send in a resume and cover letter in reply to a job posting; that’s what everyone does! In addition to that, explore the following:

a) Find positions by reaching out to colleagues in your field and asking for informal advice. According to a survey we conducted, this is twice more effective. Remember 80% of jobs that are not advertised will be discovered through your network.
b) Explore working on a contract or temporary basis with a target firm. If you can afford it, offer to work for free with the company and after 6 months to 1 year of valuable service, re-negotiate your terms of stay.
c) Learn how to use platforms like LinkedIn to connect with HR managers of your target firms, find job offers and build your network. Twitter is also a good place to find ‘not so popular’ job postings.
d) For Digital marketers, developers and creative design professionals, master the art of identifying defects in the digital campaign of companies, draft a cover letter or proposal that emphasizes on how their competitors can gain competitive advantage if it is not fixed and the value they stand to gain by hiring you to fix the problem.

5. Refine your CV to suit the role you are applying for.
Using one generic resume to apply for numerous jobs is already limiting your chances. A resume that is tailored and specific to a job will always stand out from the crowd of generic applications, and that’s how you can make it to the job interview. Sending out more applications doesn’t increase your chances of getting hired. Sending out better applications does. There are professional HR firms established to genuinely help job seekers secure jobs. You can have your CV developed or reviewed by a credible CV writer and explore career counsel services. In addition, you are likely to be more successful applying for 2-3 similar roles than applying for multiple roles across different sectors.

• Include a job title and other relevant keywords as used in the job posting. Your resume should match the role that you’re applying to. With this practice, you stand a greater chance of being among the less than 50% that beat the talent-management software used by many companies as stage one of the screening process.
• Similarly, even if you have the qualifications for the job, if your career objective doesn’t match with the role, you’re unlikely to be hired for it. It gives the impression that you would be a bad fit for the job, and that you wouldn’t stay very long in the position.
• Avoid listing just your duties on previous roles but instead focus on your achievements. Organizations want to know what results you can deliver to them – present the added value that you specifically brought to your role by describing them in such a way as to highlight their relevance to the challenges of the job you’re applying to.

6. Acquire extra skills and certifications.
Many entry-level applicants are perceived to be unemployable because employers hire value not grades. This is not to say that you can’t secure a job with just your degree but to stand a better chance of not just getting hired but landing a befitting role, you should be able to offer something extra. We recently developed a resume for a client who had a Second Class Lower degree in Marketing but had acquired the following certifications during his service year: Project Management Professional (PMP), HSE Supervision Course (Level 3), Human Resource Management Professional, Basic Fire Safety Course, Onshore/Offshore Health, Safety and Environment (Level 1 & 2), Quality Assurance and Quality Control Course (QA, QC) and Customer Care Professional (CCP). With very little work experience, we channeled attention to this achievement in the design of his resume and presented him as an Occupational Health and Safety Professional. He got the job! Enroll for a professional course today and get certified. Some of these courses can be taken online on platforms like EDX and Cousera.

7. Stay updated with trends in your industry.
What new trends, technologies, or jargon do you need to be aware of? What companies are up-and-coming (and may be hiring)? Are there any specific skills that you need to improve to be competitive in today’s job market?

8. Build your network
Do not underestimate the value of growing your network with other professionals or career mentors. Here's a simple trick; speakers at conferences and seminars love feedback. Attend conferences hosted by people in your field, try to get their mail address and send them a detailed feedback on how their events have impacted your life towards building your desired career. Quote the topics they spoke on and excerpts from their presentation. At the end of your mail, briefly mention your qualifications, your ambition and the challenges you are facing achieving them. As long as they get to read the mail, you have their attention! Any applicant with a couple of recommendations from the celebrated authorities is many times more likely to get any job.

Written by Split Digital Solutions Limited with excerpts from the following sources:
Nigerian Bureau of Statistics
Forbes
https://www.interviewsuccessformula.com
http://careers.workopolis.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by opeyemiieblog(m): 5:10pm On May 17, 2017
nice ond

1 Like

Re: Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by segebase(m): 5:26pm On May 17, 2017
c
Re: Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by samijet: 8:33pm On May 17, 2017
God bless u

1 Like

Re: Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by obajoey(m): 8:40pm On May 17, 2017
Thank you. I must work in Aso rock grin
Re: Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by Onyenna(m): 4:56am On May 18, 2017
Nice one OP......

.....Nairalanders, If it doesn't workout, business is also an option.....Don't ever give up.....

1 Like

Re: Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by humbleme99(f): 8:35am On May 18, 2017
Onyenna:
Nice one OP......

.....Nairalanders, If it doesn't workout, business is also an option.....Don't ever give up.....
Business is good but capital to start is an issue. i really wish i can get a job, i can put my life into shape from there.
I am in Abuja and Job hunt has been hell for me.
Re: Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by Onyenna(m): 10:32am On May 18, 2017
humbleme99:

Business is good but capital to start is an issue. i really wish i can get a job, i can put my life into shape from there.

Yeah...You're definitely right....I still remember when Onyenna was job-hunting from one area to another; trekking under the scorching sun.....Daayyuuummm...it was hell indeed..... We'll all get there.....Please, don't ever give up.....Something must surely come your way.....

1 Like

Re: Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by SplitSolutions: 10:51am On May 18, 2017
humbleme99:

There's always a way around this. We explored and perfected a model: Create a team of trusted friends, each having a skill to bring to the table (marketing, money management, I.T, legal processing, e.t.c). Decide on the business you guys would go into and explore crowd funding. for instance, 10 of you can put N20,000 each and go into farming, haulage, mini-importation e.t.c. It's reduced risk and an easy way to raise funds. Most importantly, make sure that the hands managing the business know a lot about it, if possible experiential knowledge.
Re: Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by SplitSolutions: 10:51am On May 18, 2017
Onyenna:

Yeah...You're definitely right....I still remember when Onyenna was job-hunting from one area to another; trekking under the scorching sun.....Daayyuuummm...it was hell indeed..... We'll all get there.....Please, don't ever give up.....Something must surely come your way.....

Well said

1 Like

Re: Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by SplitSolutions: 10:54am On May 18, 2017
humbleme99:

What is your qualification and skill-set? What you need to do is change your job-search methodology. We will share tips here
Re: Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by SplitSolutions: 10:55am On May 18, 2017
Onyenna:
Nice one OP......

Well said. Today's economy makes intrapreneurship kinda safer though.
Re: Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by SplitSolutions: 10:57am On May 18, 2017
obajoey:
Thank you. I must work in Aso rock grin

Those guys were not paid a certain month this year and hell almost let loose. It almost amounted into a national embarrassment. Abeg look elsewhere... grin
Re: Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by SplitSolutions: 10:58am On May 18, 2017
samijet:
God bless u

God bless us all
Re: Wave Goodbye to Unemployment and Underemployment by SplitSolutions: 11:07am On May 18, 2017
To have your CV, business plan or proposal professionally written, drop by our office or send us a mail today.

Split Digital Solutions Limited
No 5, Muhalim Business Plaza, western bypass road
Minna

0703 747 2007
0807 880 0893 (Whatsapp)

info@split.solutions

9AM - 5PM (Mondays - Saturdays)

(1) (Reply)

Sales Representative / To All The N-power Volunteers Who Do The Hard Work In Their Ppa Thank You / Jcvaxe Technology Concepts Graduate & Exp. Job Recruitment (15 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.