Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:05 AM

Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris (2988 Views)

Tribalism Between Yorubas And The Igbos / Ooni of Ife on ‘tree of life’ shared root between Yorubas and Igbos / Who Beget The Other Between Yorubas And Binis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Olakunlae: 12:09am On May 18, 2017
I tuned my T.V to nta only see coronation of Olu of Warri being displayed. I noticed that some of their names sound yoruba like names and some even spelt the same way. For instance, the new Olu's name is Gbesimi Ikenwoli, his sister's name is Shola and brother's name is Yemi Emiko. Saw another chief's name to be Iteshola. Not only the names that baffles me but the prince called "omo oba" same way as the yorubas do call prince. Please, is there any historian here that can make me understand if there is a relationship between the Yorubas and the Itsekiris?
Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by AbakalikiPress: 12:14am On May 18, 2017
Well, they are Yoruboid.
Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Nobody: 12:53am On May 18, 2017
Only the igbos can confirm this.
Oya let's storm here wit d original history book

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Nobody: 12:57am On May 18, 2017
@Olakunlae

The truth is that every other tribe down south of Nigeria are offshoots of the Yoruba tribe. The only reason they refuse to identify directly with Yoruba is because they want to carve a niche for themselves, an identity they believe the Yoruba race, due to its large size, will overhadow.

The Benin people of Edo State will always make you believe the Yoruba race (Oduduwa) came from them and they skillfully dished up their history because Yoruba history is filled with mythology, instead of reality and theirs is a cooked up reality instead of mythology based history. But we're not alone. Even the Koreans and other Asian countries believe they descended from Tigers, funny but true, owing to their ancient religious beliefs which the forefathers refused to separate from their history, same thing with the Yoruba forefathers.

The Yoruba race is one of the biggest in West Africa, with countries like Benin Republic and Togo having their own native Yoruba people. It's also a culturally relevant language in Brazil.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Olakunlae: 10:17am On May 18, 2017
blackberlin:
@Olakunlae

The truth is that every other tribe down south of Nigeria are offshoots of the Yoruba tribe. The only reason they refuse to identify directly with Yoruba is because they want to carve a niche for themselves, an identity they believe the Yoruba race, due to its large size, will overhadow.

The Benin people of Edo State will always make you believe the Yoruba race (Oduduwa) came from them and they skillfully dished up their history because Yoruba history is filled with mythology, instead of reality and theirs is a cooked up reality instead of mythology based history. But we're not alone. Even the Koreans and other Asian countries believe they descended from Tigers, funny but true, owing to their ancient religious beliefs which the forefathers refused to separate from their history, same thing with the Yoruba forefathers.

The Yoruba race is one of the biggest in West Africa, with countries like Benin Republic and Togo having their own native Yoruba people. It's also a culturally relevant language in Brazil.

hmmm.... I guess this is due to distortion in history that happened when it is passed from one generation to another verbally without any form of writing.
Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Probz(m): 11:58am On May 18, 2017
blackberlin:
@Olakunlae

I hope you know Yoruba came from Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Nobody: 12:58pm On May 18, 2017
Probz:

No, Hausa came from Ijaw... Coconut head cheesy grin

6 Likes

Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Probz(m): 12:59pm On May 18, 2017
blackberlin:

No, Hausa came from Ijaw... Coconut head cheesy grin
How will you see the obvious when you're blinded by obvious Afonja propaganda?
Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Nobody: 1:07pm On May 18, 2017
Probz:
How will you see the obvious when you're blinded by obvious Afonja propaganda?

E be like say u no get work. I no get ur time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by kpaminose: 1:13pm On May 18, 2017
Itsekiri and Yoruba is just exactly the same as Ika and Igbo. Itsekiri is mixture of Edo and Yoruba and Ika is mixture of Edo and Igbo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Probz(m): 3:03pm On May 18, 2017
blackberlin:

E be like say u no get work. I no get ur time.
But you've got enough time to be posting rubbish on Nairaland?
Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 18, 2017
Probz:

Probz you have coma again o. Lol.
Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 18, 2017
@ topic,
As far as I'm concerned, Itshekiri and their Yoruba kin should cooperate more because they are one. I wonder why the rest of Yoruba keep their distance.
Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Nobody: 4:02pm On May 18, 2017
Probz:
But you've got enough time to be posting rubbish on Nairaland?

Keep blabbing
Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Probz(m): 4:05pm On May 18, 2017
Bla bla bla.
Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Olakunlae: 3:50pm On May 19, 2017
Probz:

lol... Sarcastic
Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Probz(m): 3:53pm On May 19, 2017
Olakunlae:

lol... Sarcastic
Sarcastic huh? Abi na lie I don tell?
Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Olakunlae: 3:54pm On May 19, 2017
igbodefender:
@ topic,
As far as I'm concerned, Itshekiri and their Yoruba kin should cooperate more because they are one. I wonder why the rest of Yoruba keep their distance.

Maybe due to geographical mapping...

1 Like

Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Olakunlae: 3:57pm On May 19, 2017
Probz:
Sarcastic huh? Abi na lie I don tell?

Nothing in common, culture wise
Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by Probz(m): 4:26pm On May 19, 2017
Olakunlae:

Nothing in common, culture wise
That's got nothing to do with anything.
Re: Relationship Between Yorubas And The Itsekiris by olayanju22(m): 8:06am On Mar 11, 2021
Probz:

But Igbo claim not to be from Nigeria,I doubt that 100%

(1) (Reply)

Tiv Marriage Culture / A Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Igboland • Story Of Ugbodu, Others In Delta Sta / In Which Nigerian Tribe Did Guys Spent Least In Marrige? Hausa, Yoruba Or Igbo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.