Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:50 AM

Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? (34067 Views)

Having Sex With Your Cousin Is NOT A SIN!! / Ever Had Sex With Your Cousin? Please Share Your Experience / Have You Been In A Position With Your Cousin Like This? Photo!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by chiraqDemon(m): 10:29am On May 18, 2017
So recently here on nairaland i saw some posts addressing a guy that had sex with his cousin or something like that

I went and did some research on what the bible and christianity says on sexual relationships(didnt bother much on islam since it permits marriage between cousins in many cases and generally, it seems its allowed. Correct me if im wrong please) especially leviticus 18 and 20.

In leviticus 18, after delivering the first comment that one must not lie with his close relations, he goes forward to talk about what he considers as close relations and blood. I noticed that sex with mothers, fathers, step moms, step fathers, step sister, step bros, uncles, aunts and many others was prohibited but it never mentioned the son or daughter of ur father's or mother's brother or sister.

This prompted me to think if the guy was wrong in what he did (it was a sin btw cos its fornication in the first place) but apart from that, is it biblically prohibited or is it just a societal taboo?.

Please im just trying to have an understanding of this since such cases are on the rise. Btw i know the post will offend some so idgaf bout them.

U can stop here.

here is leviticus 18 in case u never read it. Its the passage that elaborates on sexual relationships well

18 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘I am the Lord your God. 3 You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. 4 You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the Lord your God. 5 Keep my decrees and laws, for the person who obeys them will live by them. I am the Lord.

6 “‘No one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the Lord.

7 “‘Do not dishonor your father by having sexual relations with your mother. She is your mother; do not have relations with her.

8 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s wife; that would dishonor your father.

9 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your sister, either your father’s daughter or your mother’s daughter, whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere.

10 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your son’s daughter or your daughter’s daughter; that would dishonor you.

11 “‘Do not have sexual relations with the daughter of your father’s wife, born to your father; she is your sister.

12 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your father’s sister; she is your father’s close relative.

13 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your mother’s sister, because she is your mother’s close relative.

14 “‘Do not dishonor your father’s brother by approaching his wife to have sexual relations; she is your aunt.

15 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your daughter-in-law. She is your son’s wife; do not have relations with her.

16 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your brother’s wife; that would dishonor your brother.

17 “‘Do not have sexual relations with both a woman and her daughter. Do not have sexual relations with either her son’s daughter or her daughter’s daughter; they are her close relatives. That is wickedness.

18 “‘Do not take your wife’s sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while your wife is living.

19 “‘Do not approach a woman to have sexual relations during the uncleanness of her monthly period.

20 “‘Do not have sexual relations with your neighbor’s wife and defile yourself with her.

21 “‘Do not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Molek, for you must not profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.

22 “‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

23 “‘Do not have sexual relations with an animal and defile yourself with it. A woman must not present herself to an animal to have sexual relations with it; that is a perversion.

24 “‘Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. 25 Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants. 26 But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the foreigners residing among you must not do any of these detestable things, 27 for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. 28 And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you.

29 “‘Everyone who does any of these detestable things—such persons must be cut off from their people. 30 Keep my requirements and do not follow any of the detestable customs that were practiced before you came and do not defile yourselves with them. I am the Lord your God.’”
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by Nobody: 10:31am On May 18, 2017
It is bad in whatever perspective you reason it.
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by whitebeard(m): 10:34am On May 18, 2017
How about your uncle's in-law (Lady)
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by Nickizoe(f): 10:40am On May 18, 2017
you can marry your cousins from your father's side in my place..

But you can't marry from your mother's side of same lineage..

It seems the mother's lineage/blood is stronger than the Fathers...

If anyone has same situation in your hometown you can just like or share your story too

2 Likes

Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by Kobicove(m): 10:48am On May 18, 2017
Nickizoe:
you can marry your cousins from your father's side in my place..

But you can't marry from your mother's side of same lineage..

It seems the mother's lineage is stronger than the Fathers...

If anyone has same situation in your hometown you can just like or share your story too

Which tribe is that?
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by chiraqDemon(m): 10:49am On May 18, 2017
whitebeard:
How about your uncle's in-law (Lady)
I think its not bad to marry ur uncle's sister in law since there is no blood relationship and the legal relationship is not close. Idk tho
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by Nickizoe(f): 10:51am On May 18, 2017
Kobicove:

Which tribe is that?
in Eastern part of Nigeria
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by whitebeard(m): 10:54am On May 18, 2017
chiraqDemon:

I think its not bad to marry ur uncle's sister in law since there is no blood relationship and the legal relationship is not close. Idk tho
me self I am confused oo..pls when I asked my mummy she said no
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by chiraqDemon(m): 10:59am On May 18, 2017
whitebeard:
me self I am confused oo..pls when I asked my mummy she said no
No that its not bad? Or that u should not try it?
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by Nobody: 11:00am On May 18, 2017
As long as u are a "relative" I don't wanna have anything intimacy to do with you!

2 Likes

Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by Kenshinmunac(m): 11:03am On May 18, 2017
I still have sex with my cousin sister when she is around, we just love ourselves but I can't do it my own blood sister cause that's disgusting.

4 Likes

Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by Nickizoe(f): 11:03am On May 18, 2017
SorftWerk:
As long as u are a "relative" I don't wanna have anything intimacy to do with you!
wink i thought i was your sister's uncle's elder brother's cousin??
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by Nobody: 11:05am On May 18, 2017
Nickizoe:
lol shhh! Don't let them know we use to do this in the dark grin

1 Like

Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by chiraqDemon(m): 11:07am On May 18, 2017
Nickizoe:
Whaaat
Jeessuss is lorrrd

Starts singing
*aye le*
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by boxer022(m): 11:09am On May 18, 2017
My brother I like your question and will gladly answer it. Having any form of sexual contact with your cousin is both biblically wrong and socially wrong. From the biblical point of view look at Leviticus 18 vs 6 you will see what is written there. Your cousin is your relative and according to that verse you are liable if you commit such. Looking at verse 12 and 13 if it is unacceptable to uncover the unclothedness of your father's sister or mother's sister, how do you think it will be acceptable if you do such to their children. Socially, having any form of sexual relation with your cousin is seen as an abomination as she is your blood and that can lead to drastic circumstances like death.
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by whitebeard(m): 11:09am On May 18, 2017
chiraqDemon:

No that its not bad? Or that u should not try it?
I should not try it...the lady in question is my uncle's (mums brother the guy is gentle AF) wife sister..!
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by Nickizoe(f): 11:12am On May 18, 2017
SorftWerk:
lol shhh! Don't let them know we use to do this in the dark grin
. Hehehehe

My mistake plzzz

Was thinking out loud!and my hand was faster than my thought
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by Nickizoe(f): 11:13am On May 18, 2017
chiraqDemon:

Whaaat
Jeessuss is lorrrd

Starts singing
*aye le*
lol
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by Nobody: 11:16am On May 18, 2017
Nickizoe:
. Hehehehe

My mistake plzzz

Was thinking out loud!and my hand was faster than my thought
you nawty fresh girl...I just said that to take eyes off our lane, u know I hate disturbances when eating that fresh shaved meal wink

1 Like

Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by Nickizoe(f): 11:19am On May 18, 2017
SorftWerk:
you nawty fresh girl...I just said that to take eyes off our lane, u know I hate disturbances when eating that fresh shaved meal wink
oh yeah
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by chiraqDemon(m): 11:21am On May 18, 2017
whitebeard:
I should not try it...the lady in question is my uncle's (mums brother the guy is gentle AF) wife sister..!
I think u should visit ur religious leader but i personally think its ok. Or u can read thru the bible passage n decide if u r the religious type
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by Nobody: 11:21am On May 18, 2017
Nickizoe:
oh yeah
yeah yeah baby...just the way I like it...u make my head go like this

1 Like

Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by whitebeard(m): 11:22am On May 18, 2017
chiraqDemon:

I think u should visit ur religious leader but i personally think its ok. Or u can read thru the bible passage n decide if u r the religious type
yes yes I am a Christian..is the bible against it
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by brandydaniells(m): 11:22am On May 18, 2017
its not a sin ......... cain married his sis ............abel and seth in d bible did dsame ............. it isnt a social taboo either .........ive seen a boy marry his widowed mother in Georgia usa
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by chiraqDemon(m): 11:25am On May 18, 2017
boxer022:
My brother I like your question and will gladly answer it. Having any form of sexual contact with your cousin is both biblically wrong and socially wrong. From the biblical point of view look at Leviticus 18 vs 6 you will see what is written there. Your cousin is your relative and according to that verse you are liable if you commit such. Looking at verse 12 and 13 if it is unacceptable to uncover the unclothedness of your father's sister or mother's sister, how do you think it will be acceptable if you do such to their children. Socially, having any form of sexual relation with your cousin is seen as an abomination as she is your blood and that can lead to drastic circumstances like death.

I saw that place, but the problem is that when he went ahead to talk about what he considers as relatives he clearly defined very many examples but left out the cousin. And there were some examples of ppl following mosaic law marrying cousins in the bible.

1 Like

Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by chiraqDemon(m): 11:28am On May 18, 2017
whitebeard:
yes yes I am a Christian..is the bible against it
I dont think so. There's no mention of mothers brother's wife sister in the firbidden list. But there are also societal views. Im also as confused as u are
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by boxer022(m): 11:32am On May 18, 2017
chiraqDemon:

I saw that place, but the problem is that when he went ahead to talk about what he considers as relatives he clearly defined very many examples but left out the cousin. And there were some examples of ppl following mosaic law marrying cousins in the bible.
I will like you to site an instance on who in the bible married their cousin. As far as if is written in the bible concerning close relatives, you should have understanding as to who is your close relative. If you can have sexual relations with your cousin then it means that nothing stops you from having same with their mother. It's as simple as that.

1 Like

Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by chiraqDemon(m): 11:32am On May 18, 2017
brandydaniells:
its not a sin ......... cain married his sis ............abel and seth in d bible did dsame ............. it isnt a social taboo either .........ive seen a boy marry his widowed mother in Georgia usa

the mosaic law that dictates some christian and even sociatal values were made centuries after the era of cain and abel.
Also i dont think Americans(or whites generally) ppl are the real ppl to talk societal values with. I mean they get married to robots, dolls, houses and they could fck anythimg with a hole (even heard of one that did a car) and still say its acceptable.

1 Like

Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by whitebeard(m): 11:35am On May 18, 2017
chiraqDemon:

I dont think so. There's no mention of mothers brother's wife sister in the firbidden list. But there are also societal views. Im also as confused as u are
exactly that is what I thought.. Maybe my mummy doesn't like the girl but the girl make..very decent girl no too much make up just simple stuff and she killed even my friend who doesn't really fancy doing dating stuff approached her..! That day was comedic..!! Lol..anyways thank u very much for ur time
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by chiraqDemon(m): 11:38am On May 18, 2017
boxer022:
I will like you to site an instance on who in the bible married their cousin. As far as if is written in the bible concerning close relatives, you should have understanding as to who is your close relative. If you can have sexual relations with your cousin then it means that nothing stops you from having same with their mother. It's as simple as that.
I cant remember any right now but i think there were some (not very sure about it tho) ill mention them if i can find them.
Thank u for airing ur views and for adding to the discussion pool smiley
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by chiraqDemon(m): 11:39am On May 18, 2017
whitebeard:
exactly that is what I thought.. Maybe my mummy doesn't like the girl but the girl make..very decent girl no too much make up just simple stuff and she killed even my friend who doesn't really fancy doing dating stuff approached her..! That day was comedic..!! Lol..anyways thank u very much for ur time
Lol. Uwc. Im always open to discussing stuff like this and any other stuff. Always happy to try and help
Re: Is Sex With Your Cousin A Religious Sin Or A Societal Taboo? by boxer022(m): 11:41am On May 18, 2017
chiraqDemon:

I cant remember any right now but i think there were some (not very sure about it tho) ill mention them if i can find them.
Thank u for airing ur views and for adding to the discussion pool smiley
You are most welcome, and thank you for raising such an educative topic.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

After Promising Marriage, Lady Gets Her Boyfriend Beaten For Trying To Dump Her / Introverts In A Relationship, How Do You Cope / This Village Pre-wedding Photoshoot Is So Unique And Imaginative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.