Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,293 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:49 AM

Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read (18203 Views)

Wole Soyinka Battled With Prostate Cancer / What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? / Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by AustineCJ: 7:08am On May 19, 2017
I just love good works,Lion n the jewel is cool but Things fall apart is more cool.The Gods r not to blame is so special but Joys of Motherhood will always be in my heart.A lucky Chance was my first primary novel but I can't forget Chike n the river/Without a silver spoon.... Don't tell me you haven't read Our Husband Have Gone Mad Again.
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by Nobody: 7:09am On May 19, 2017
raphieMontella:

yes...
Our husband has gone mad again.

Yes o.

Sikira
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by eitsei(m): 7:14am On May 19, 2017
Abeg, who knows how they can be downloaded online? .. I once searched for them online but I didn't see them
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by Nobody: 7:15am On May 19, 2017
raphieMontella:

greater than okonji iweala?
Pls think well and stop this tribalism bs

Greater than Azikwe, Ojukwu, Ekwueme all put together

7 Likes

Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by raphieMontella: 7:17am On May 19, 2017
divicode:

Greater than Azikwe, Ojukwu, Ekwueme all put together
When you're done deceiving yourself, you can then catch the bus.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by bonana: 7:19am On May 19, 2017
raphieMontella:

greater than okonji iweala?
Pls think well and stop this tribalism bs

Don't mind the mumu. Even Chimamanda Adichie writes better than wole Soyinka. Can't even compare Him with Achebe.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by 007author(m): 7:22am On May 19, 2017
kennygee:
Death and The King's HorseMan.
But I enjoy Ola Rotimi's works more.

Ola rotimi's book are for kids
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by itsIYKE(m): 7:32am On May 19, 2017
verygudbadguy:

Get a life. Do not die of afojaism. Prof. Wole has achieved a lot for himself. Do something that will make you standout in your dreamland, Biaf***.

Goodluck!

isi akwu.......u quoted me just for this trash?

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by slap1(m): 7:34am On May 19, 2017
His best books I've read: A Play of Giants, The Man Died, The Interpreters.
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by LordOfNaira: 7:41am On May 19, 2017
FreshShavedBalls:
Hmmm, just realising that i have not even read any of Wole's top 5 books

Those are not his top five books in my opinion.

Mine:

1. Ake (A classic, instrumental to his winning the Nobel Prize)

2. Lion and the Jewel (This book was described as one of the finest plays ever written. Soyinka's impeccable command of the English was widely praised by English critics). This play also mentioned some futuristic invention like yam pounders which we now have today.

3. Death and the King's Horseman (This play treats the issue of abobaku).

4. A Play of Giants (Men, this play was huge. It won prizes like mad). It was a satire on Idi Amin Dada of Uganda

5. The Jero Plays (Very prophetic as well and very funny).

I am a lover of Papa Soyinka's works from his poems to his prose. He is the wittiest and most hilarious African writer I have read and his command of English has no rival in Africa. Anyway, the mastery of English can be put down to his becoming a grammarian before secondary school (he mentioned it in his classic "Ake"wink.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by IgbosAreGreat(f): 7:43am On May 19, 2017
I don't even know any of his book sef
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by Nobody: 7:52am On May 19, 2017
divicode:

The "mofo" is greater than anybody dead or alive in your biafrauud virtual republic

I'm sure you don't know his tribe,,,, d you?
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by Nobody: 7:55am On May 19, 2017
LordOfNaira:

Mine:

1. Ake (A classic, instrumental to his winning the Nobel Prize)

2. Lion and the Jewel (This book was described as one of the finest plays ever written. Soyinka's impeccable command of the English was widely praised by English critics). This play also mentioned some futuristic invention like yam pounders which we now have today.

3. Death and the King's Horseman (This play treats the issue of abobaku).

4. A Play of Giants (Men, this play was huge. It won prizes like mad). It was a satire on Idi Amin Dada of Uganda

5. The Jero Plays (Very prophetic as well and very funny).

I am a lover of Papa Soyinka's works from his poems to his prose. He is the wittiest and most hilarious African writer I have read and his command of English has no rival in Africa. Anyway, the mastery of English can be put down to his becoming a grammarian before secondary school (he mentioned it in his classic "Ake"wink.

Back in the University when I read Death and the King horse man... I almost steal the book from our library grin
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by tunjex2006(m): 7:59am On May 19, 2017
What of King Baabu? A play which was written by Wole Soyinka and was released during Abacha's regime. He had to make himself self exile in London when Abacha wanted to kill him.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by Sugarcious(m): 8:00am On May 19, 2017
raphieMontella:
the lion and the jewel is my favorite.
another writer I respect a lot is chinua Achebe.
no longer at ease etc.
who has read chinua Achebe's; The Trouble With Nigeria?

I've read the book.
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by Burgerlomo: 8:00am On May 19, 2017
Good job
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by DaniDani(m): 8:01am On May 19, 2017
raphieMontella:
the lion and the jewel is my favorite.
another writer I respect a lot is chinua Achebe.
no longer at ease etc.
who has read chinua Achebe's; The Trouble With Nigeria?

I had. Quoted some of his words in my final year research project. That small book (the trouble with Nigeria) captured everything wrong with Nigeria in shortest verses. Very interesting book!
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by LordOfNaira: 8:03am On May 19, 2017
bonana:

Don't mind the mumu. Even Chimamanda Adichie writes better than wole Soyinka. Can't even compare Him with Achebe.

It is very disrespectful to say that Adichie writes better than the master. A man who is described as a wordsmith. How deep are Adichie's works? How lasting would they be? Ever wondered why Jane Austin never won the Nobel Prize? It is because there is a difference between reading George Eliot and Toni Morrison. There is a difference between reading JK Rowling and Patrick Modiano. Instead of being so petty, why not try and compare Adichie with her contemporaries like Sarah Ladipo Manyika, Chinelo Okparanta, Helen Oyeyemi, Chika Unigwe, Abubakar Adam Ibrahim, Elnathan John and many others. You probably think it is beans to win the Nobel Prize?

6 Likes

Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by timilehin95(m): 8:05am On May 19, 2017
divicode:

The "mofo" is greater than anybody dead or alive in your biafrauud virtual republic
Biafrauds ryt now cheesy

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by northvietnam(m): 8:08am On May 19, 2017
divicode:

You just displayed how small ur sense is..

Chiamanda to start with, let me not add chino Achebe...

Small sense Syndrome.....

Afonjas AKA mouth making machine..

I will burn my bla bla bla if.. Trump..

talk is cheap joor...

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by LordOfNaira: 8:08am On May 19, 2017
abiodunalasa:

Back in the University when I read Death and the King horse man... I almost steal the book from our library grin

grin My brother, I just love Soyinka. Until I misplaced my copy, I read the book over and over again. Same with the Jero Plays. The man has a very good sense of humour.
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by Nobody: 8:09am On May 19, 2017
007author:

Ola rotimi's book are for kids

I don't agree.
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by misterh(m): 8:10am On May 19, 2017
Thistrendblog:
Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story and a Must Read.

[b]5. The Beautification of Area Boy
That`s one of the recent books of Wole Soyinka. In this story, he portrays a life of the street urchins or “area boys”. The plot of the play is set in Lagos, Nigeria. The main personages of this play show how they face the everyday struggles and challenges.

Sanda is a university drop out. His wit helped made him a student but life forced him to dropout. He is a leader of a syndicate. Sanda works as a security guard in a shopping mall where he finds potential victims. Wole Soyinka portrays Sanda as the Nigerian version of Robin Hood. The character is a criminal but he is also a product of military oppressive rule.

The second character is Miseyi. She once studied at the same University as Sanda. Still, her quick judgment condemns any relationship between the two. Alas, when she starts to know him better – it becomes a new love story.

Another main character of the play is Judge. Through his deeds, we find Wole Soyinka`s philosophy of this play. Sometimes justice can be provided not through the laws but the merciful deeds.[/b]

Source: http://www.thistrend.com.ng/2017/05/top-5-books-by-wole-soyinka-tale-story.html?m=1

lalasticlala, Mynd44, Seun, Obinnau, Fynestboi, dominique, Obinoscopy
It's not Beautification. It's 'The Beatification of Area Boy'.
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by Nobody: 8:15am On May 19, 2017
1. The Road
2. A Dance of the Forests
3. Death and the King's Horseman
4. The Man Died
5. Ake

Myth, literature and African World (essays) is also a must read.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:19am On May 19, 2017
The Man Died

Death And The Kings Horseman

The Jero Plays

The Lion And The Jewel

Ake : The years of childhood

Any list were 'The Man Died' is not present in first position is wrong my opinion. This has become WS's most important work.
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by Nobody: 8:22am On May 19, 2017
northvietnam:

You just displayed how small ur sense is..

Chiamanda to start with, let me not add chino Achebe...

Small sense Syndrome.....

Afonjas AKA mouth making machine..

I will burn my bla bla bla if.. Trump..

talk is cheap joor...

Aren't they better off than FFK shagging your hero's wife, Ojukwu and he was made to fan them and later died of the heart attack? The Afonjas were neither abandoned at war front by the so-called "hero" Ojukwu being a coward he is?
I don't really blame myopic idohts like you trying to compare a Nobel prize winner to a lesbian from biafrauuud republic! Son, I spit on your head and walk out of thread

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by raphieMontella: 8:25am On May 19, 2017
DaniDani:

I had. Quoted some of his words in my final year research project. That small book (the trouble with Nigeria) captured everything wrong with Nigeria in shortest verses. Very interesting book!
I swear,
Despite being over 30 years old, it still speaks the truth about present day Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:26am On May 19, 2017
LordOfNaira:

Mine:

1. Ake (A classic, instrumental to his winning the Nobel Prize ...

I would like to know how y ou came about that information.
'Ake' was not even mentioned in the 1986 Nobel prize citation.
It is the consensus that ' The Man Died' - written in prison, banned by the FG and later a battle manual for agitators and revolutionaries was direct the impetus for the prize.
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by Raintaker(m): 8:28am On May 19, 2017
No body has mentioned Kogi's harvest.
Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by northvietnam(m): 8:32am On May 19, 2017
divicode:

Aren't they better off than FFK shagging your hero's wife, Ojukwu and he was made to fan them and later died of the heart attack? The Afonjas were neither abandoned at war front by the so-called "hero" Ojukwu being a coward he is?
I don't really blame myopic idohts like you trying to compare a Nobel prize winner to a lesbian from biafrauuud republic! Son, I spit on your head and walk out of thread

Talk is cheap boy...

All yee Descendants of Awolowo..

the poison Consumer 1 Of AfonJa Nation...

he who fights and Run Lives to fight Another..

but

He who drinks poison, Lolzzzzz.... ur guess is good as mine.

I feel like crying, cuz ur God Awolowo drank poison made in Aba...

Ezi offia... Otu Nne gi dia

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:34am On May 19, 2017
Raintaker:
No body has mentioned Kogi's harvest.

There's room for only 5 ...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie At The Foreign Affairs Symposium At Johns Hopkins (Photos) / Nigerian Novelist Biyi Bandele Is Dead / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.