Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience (5149 Views)

2 Simple And Smart Strategies To Get A Job On Linkedin / Seven Social Media Hacks Graduates Can Use To Land Their First Job / 12 Job Interview Success Strategies For Job Seekers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by jakeslimited: 11:48am On May 18, 2017
These days, many nonmedical professionals are changing careers and shifting into nursing and healthcare. We’re seeing nurses entering the profession from careers in industries as varied as insurance, banking, publishing, retail and management.
As a significant number of younger nurses simultaneously enter the profession directly from the post-high school college experience, new nurses who are slightly (or significantly) older must find ways to call attention to their previous work experiences in order to market themselves to prospective employers. Here are three strategies for highlighting your previous career as you enter the nursing profession.

1) Tout transferable skills gained from other jobs.
Promote your previous work and life experiences on applications, resumes and cover letters. Whether you worked in banking or retail, there are always skills that are directly transferable to nursing, and these can be leveraged in a variety of ways. Employment in the retail sector necessitates the development of customer service skills, and experience in the insurance industry can make you valuable in terms of management and negotiation skills. Your previous work experiences can be beneficial in a nursing role.

2) Show why your maturity is an asset.
As a new nurse in your 30s, 40s, 50s or beyond, your relative maturity can be seen as a strength if you showcase your life experience when applying for a job. You can refer to your age and maturity as strengths in terms of your history of working with others, your deep life experience, your varied skill sets and the wisdom and learned intelligence you bring to the table.

3) Demonstrate your grasp of the issues.
Mature entry-level nurses can use resumes, cover letters and interviews to communicate their understanding of healthcare and nursing issues. For instance, a nurse with experience as an insurance representative can demonstrate understanding of the complex world of the Affordable Care Act and the need for attention to detail in terms of ICD-10 codes and medical billing. Or a career in middle management may allow you to display keen insights regarding emotional intelligence and positive workplace culture.

If you’re an older entry-level nurse competing against 22-year-old college grads for the same positions, promote your personal and professional life experiences — and be proud of them. Your job is to convince a potential employer that it is worthwhile to invest in your skills, experience and maturity. Be yourself, put your cards on the table and allow an employer to see you for who you are — a competent new nurse with a plethora of life experience under your belt.

COURTESY
JAKES EMBASSY LIMITED(RC 1315565)

1 Like

Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by simplemach(m): 7:24am On May 19, 2017
This news no concern me self.

As far I am concerned, marrying a nurse is like renting a car instead of buying one.

1 Like

Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by rayralph(m): 7:24am On May 19, 2017
Mr simplemach .... grin

Bravo
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by crazyABO(m): 7:26am On May 19, 2017
I no knw wetin to type just came here to read comments wink shout out to all d ones saving life's out dre n not the one killing babies up n down with p2 grin
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by simplemach(m): 7:27am On May 19, 2017
rayralph:
Mr simplemach .... grin

Bravo
My brother all thanks to Airtel, it is not my doing.
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by iyisco2001(m): 7:31am On May 19, 2017
simplemach:

As far I am concerned, marrying a nurse is like renting a car instead of buying one.
Why will you say that?

1 Like

Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by blovesther(f): 7:32am On May 19, 2017
simplemach:

shocked shocked like seriously?
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by Nobody: 7:35am On May 19, 2017
Good one op
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by wykcool(m): 7:40am On May 19, 2017
Nice piece
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by DALE917(f): 7:40am On May 19, 2017
simplemach:

You really do not need to compare us that way

3 Likes

Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by ominiriches2016(m): 7:42am On May 19, 2017
Bad experience really.
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by heykims(m): 7:43am On May 19, 2017
I don't like professions whose certificates can be obtained on part time basis in higher institutions, it portrays them as cheap..
Nursing falls into this category..

1 Like

Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by Ruhamah23(m): 7:50am On May 19, 2017
simplemach:

I disagree with you
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by Ruhamah23(m): 7:51am On May 19, 2017
heykims:
I don't like professions whose certificates can be obtained on part time basis in higher institutions, it portrays them as cheap..

oh you think nursing is cheap...
try it out and see for yourself....

8 Likes

Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by delishpot: 7:51am On May 19, 2017
iyisco2001:

Why will you say that?

Maybe because he wants to see his wife everynight 24/7 if his wife is a nurse, she would be on call for night shifts) which to him is like renting a car. You can drive it by you don't own it.

On the other hand, if this was reversed and his career calls for him to travel and be away from his wife and kids for months at a time and the woman complains or compares him to a rented car he would call her selfish.

4 Likes

Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by 76Naira(m): 8:56am On May 19, 2017
You are intelligent.

delishpot:

Maybe because he wants to see his wife everynight 24/7 if his wife is a nurse, she would be on call for night shifts) which to him is like renting a car. You can drive it by you don't own it.

On the other hand, if this was reversed and his career calls for him to travel and be away from his wife and kids for months at a time and the woman complains or compares him to a rented car he would call her selfish.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by iyisco2001(m): 8:56am On May 19, 2017
delishpot:

It's totally uncalled for, what about the days she will be on night off duties and she will be home all day, will you call that rent also.
What about when she is on morning duty and she will be home early or when she is on night duty and she will only leave the house at midday.
A very myopic view from him if that's the case.

4 Likes

Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by delishpot: 8:58am On May 19, 2017
76Naira:
You are intelligent.

Thank you Sir.
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by Nusdaniel10(m): 9:23am On May 19, 2017
crazyABO:
I no knw wetin to type just came here to read comments wink shout out to all d ones saving life's out dre n not the one killing babies up n down with p2 grin

Do P2 kill babies?
Get lost
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by lonelydora: 9:32am On May 19, 2017
simplemach:

Why?
The only thing I like about nurses is their sexy look on that white uniform. But some of them don't know how to dress cute, they will be showing those pant-line like oloshos.

If you friend a nurse, Omo, you will enjoy sex to the fullest. No fear of pregnancy because they know all the drugs
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by lonelydora: 9:40am On May 19, 2017
heykims:

I regret studying Engineering because of this. Imagine people doing engineering on part time basis.

1 Like

Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by lonelydora: 9:43am On May 19, 2017
delishpot:

delishpot, chai I'm beginning to seeing you as a feminist. Nice point though.

When I go to work, I stay away from home for some days or weeks, but just simple travelling for some days by my wife, Omo, that's how I will be calling her every time to come back. Lol
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by delishpot: 10:19am On May 19, 2017
lonelydora:

delishpot, chai I'm beginning to seeing you as a feminist. Nice point though.

When I go to work, I stay away from home for some days or weeks, but just simple travelling for some days by my wife, Omo, that's how I will be calling her every time to come back. Lol

I am not arguing that women deserve better than men, I am only saying, women are humans too and should not be judged ir pushed to secondclass status in life based on their gender. Yes equal fine, equal pay and equal punishment where applicable. Does that make me a feminist?.......I don't know.

1 Like

Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by Tinyemeka(m): 11:12am On May 19, 2017
jakeslimited:
These days, many nonmedical professionals are changing careers and shifting into nursing and healthcare. We’re seeing nurses entering the profession from careers in industries as varied as insurance, banking, publishing, retail and management.
As a significant number of younger nurses simultaneously enter the profession directly from the post-high school college experience, new nurses who are slightly (or significantly) older must find ways to call attention to their previous work experiences in order to market themselves to prospective employers. Here are three strategies for highlighting your previous career as you enter the nursing profession.

1) Tout transferable skills gained from other jobs.
Promote your previous work and life experiences on applications, resumes and cover letters. Whether you worked in banking or retail, there are always skills that are directly transferable to nursing, and these can be leveraged in a variety of ways. Employment in the retail sector necessitates the development of customer service skills, and experience in the insurance industry can make you valuable in terms of management and negotiation skills. Your previous work experiences can be beneficial in a nursing role.

2) Show why your maturity is an asset.
As a new nurse in your 30s, 40s, 50s or beyond, your relative maturity can be seen as a strength if you showcase your life experience when applying for a job. You can refer to your age and maturity as strengths in terms of your history of working with others, your deep life experience, your varied skill sets and the wisdom and learned intelligence you bring to the table.

3) Demonstrate your grasp of the issues.
Mature entry-level nurses can use resumes, cover letters and interviews to communicate their understanding of healthcare and nursing issues. For instance, a nurse with experience as an insurance representative can demonstrate understanding of the complex world of the Affordable Care Act and the need for attention to detail in terms of ICD-10 codes and medical billing. Or a career in middle management may allow you to display keen insights regarding emotional intelligence and positive workplace culture.

If you’re an older entry-level nurse competing against 22-year-old college grads for the same positions, promote your personal and professional life experiences — and be proud of them. Your job is to convince a potential employer that it is worthwhile to invest in your skills, experience and maturity. Be yourself, put your cards on the table and allow an employer to see you for who you are — a competent new nurse with a plethora of life experience under your belt.

COURTESY
JAKES EMBASSY LIMITED(RC 1315565)

My wife, mother and sister are all nurses.

Have worked in one of the country's top 3 banks for 8+ years and I'm seriously considering Nursing for a career change. I thought I was crazy and alone in considering this, until a colleague (same years of service) resigned and moved to the UK recently to practice the same nursing.

@jakeslimited, can you advise on the best way of making the switch?

1 Like

Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by Harwehroh1(f): 11:22am On May 19, 2017
[quote author=heykims post=56664015]I don't like professions whose certificates can be obtained on part time basis in higher institutions, it portrays them as cheap..
Nursing falls into this category.. [/quote

A nursing degree can only be obtained on a part-time basis if Ure already a REGISTERED NURSE. Being a registered NURSE means U Av finished from a sch of nursing nd uve passed ur final qualifying exams
No institution offers nrsg on a part time basis to o level stds
U think nrsg is cheap? Ask me..... I'm a NURSE
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by heykims(m): 11:48am On May 19, 2017
A nursing degree can only be obtained on a part-time basis if Ure already a REGISTERED NURSE. Being a registered NURSE means U Av finished from a sch of nursing nd uve passed ur final qualifying exams

[quote author=Harwehroh1 post=56671206][/quote]
I still feel it is.
School of nurses are run like pure water, the institutions littered everywhere. U can find like 4 in a single city.
Then I maintain my stand on acquisition of degree in part time basis, it portrays it cheap.
BTW ma'am, are u a first degree nurse?
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by Arthurity: 2:32pm On May 19, 2017
heykims:

I am a male nurse.Nursing no be beans o.The hardest on planet Earth

1 Share

Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by Qasaforlife(f): 2:55pm On May 19, 2017
heykims:
U know nothing about nursing.
Re: 3 Strategies Second-career Nurses Can Use To Market Skills Experience by Harwehroh1(f): 1:54am On May 20, 2017
heykims:

I still feel it is.
School of nurses are run like pure water, the institutions littered everywhere. U can find like 4 in a single city.
Then I maintain my stand on acquisition of degree in part time basis, it portrays it cheap.
BTW ma'am, are u a first degree nurse?

yes.... I am.... went to a school of nursing first though

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Recruitment Into The Nigerian Navy 2012/2013 / Job Vacancy At Famzhi Interbiz Limited / Lasg Civil Svc Comm Screening Exercise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.