Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,928 members, 7,803,045 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. (1093 Views)

Coronavirus Lockdown Bank Scam Alert: Warn Your Loved Ones For Their Safety / Job Scam Alert � / Security Alert (pls Warn Your Kids) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by mhiztaNexy(m): 4:47pm On May 20, 2017
If you have an account with gtbank this message is for you.
This happened to me OluwaDamilola Ayomi Olatunbosun (ayomiessentials) few hours ago
I got an email from gtb (my one and only bank) some hours ago that I was debited 14,500 for a bulletin I subscribed for, the email further read I should click a link to oblige and another link below to decline, I clicked on the link to decline cos the mail read it will be assumed that I agreed to the terms and conditions if I don't respond to the mail in 12hrs........... I clicked on the link to decline the offer since I don't want my 14,500 to be debited for some magazine I didn't subscribe for (note that I got these same email last week and I got tried calling gtbank customer service that day, I gave up after wasting about 600naira worth of airtime, I felt the need to respond when if got the message today again)..........lo and behold the link took me to my Internet banking page, it requested that I enter my log in details which I did.........the page requested I answer my test question which I did 1st then entered my 6 digits token code which Is usually requested when doing online banking.
Almost immediately I filled the form, the page kept loading and i was hoping I'd see a page where I'll click the Decline button or something then the worse thing happened............. I got an alert that all the money in my account has been debited. They left only the kobo for me this happened to me less than 2hrs ago.
I went to the nearest gtb and I was told that my account was hacked.
The debit alert I got showed that I recharged with all the money in my account.
Lo and behold I was given the number that was recharged at the bank 08170003208 (I was told at the bank that I used my money to recharge that number thinking it's mine, I wonder if if wanted to call heaven or hell that I will recharge that much of money on recharge)All my money is gone and nothing can be done about it, I'm sharing these with you all so u won't fall a victim.Please be careful.
Note that the mail came from opokonwa@gmail.com under the disguise of GeNs@gtbank.com as shown in the images below.

Please pass on to all gtbank subscriber you know so that they won't fall a victim of these hackers. They are everywhere.
Re: Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by Kondomatic(m): 4:49pm On May 20, 2017
So sorry bro
Re: Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by emeijeh(m): 5:00pm On May 20, 2017
It's not new... .. i got a mail like this from diamond bank 2 years ago, when i don't have a diamond bank account.

Think man.
Use your head next time
Re: Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by mhiztaNexy(m): 5:05pm On May 20, 2017
emeijeh:
It's not new... .. i got a mail like this from diamond bank 2 years ago, when i don't have a diamond bank account.

Think man.
Use your head next time
this can happen to anybody. it didn't happen to me,i just shared this to prevent people from falling victim. thanks
Re: Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by emeijeh(m): 5:07pm On May 20, 2017
mhiztaNexy:
this can happen to anybody. it didn't happen to me,i just shared this to prevent people from falling victim. thanks
Aiit
Re: Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by sexy74(m): 5:15pm On May 20, 2017
My advice if anything unusual is sent to you via mail please just gegely go to the said bank and complain or so what they told you to do in their office.
@Poster sorry for what Happend.
Why not write and make a formal complaint to EFCC.
Re: Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by Nobody: 5:16pm On May 20, 2017
mhiztaNexy:
If you have an account with gtbank this message is for you.
This happened to me OluwaDamilola Ayomi Olatunbosun (ayomiessentials) few hours ago
I got an email from gtb (my one and only bank) some hours ago that I was debited 14,500 for a bulletin I subscribed for, the email further read I should click a link to oblige and another link below to decline, I clicked on the link to decline cos the mail read it will be assumed that I agreed to the terms and conditions if I don't respond to the mail in 12hrs........... I clicked on the link to decline the offer since I don't want my 14,500 to be debited for some magazine I didn't subscribe for (note that I got these same email last week and I got tried calling gtbank customer service that day, I gave up after wasting about 600naira worth of airtime, I felt the need to respond when if got the message today again)..........lo and behold the link took me to my Internet banking page, it requested that I enter my log in details which I did.........the page requested I answer my test question which I did 1st then entered my 6 digits token code which Is usually requested when doing online banking.
Almost immediately I filled the form, the page kept loading and i was hoping I'd see a page where I'll click the Decline button or something then the worse thing happened............. I got an alert that all the money in my account has been debited. They left only the kobo for me this happened to me less than 2hrs ago.
I went to the nearest gtb and I was told that my account was hacked.
The debit alert I got showed that I recharged with all the money in my account.
Lo and behold I was given the number that was recharged at the bank 08170003208 (I was told at the bank that I used my money to recharge that number thinking it's mine, I wonder if if wanted to call heaven or hell that I will recharge that much of money on recharge)All my money is gone and nothing can be done about it, I'm sharing these with you all so u won't fall a victim.Please be careful.
Note that the mail came from opokonwa@gmail.com under the disguise of GeNs@gtbank.com as shown in the images below.

Please pass on to all gtbank subscriber you know so that they won't fall a victim of these hackers. They are everywhere.
Sorry abt this but the bank shud do something abt it..they must protect their clients from being scammed by these yahoo boiz sha.. Why not upgrade their system instead?nxtime be very careful.
Re: Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by serverconnect(m): 5:17pm On May 20, 2017
Sorry bro. God will deal with all this fraudsters.
Re: Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by ifyalways(f): 6:01am On May 21, 2017
TrapQueen77:

Sorry abt this but the bank shud do something abt it..they must protect their clients from being scammed by these yahoo boiz sha.. Why not upgrade their system instead?nxtime be very careful.

This got nothing to do with the bank system upgrade Yada Yada. The OP was 100% careless.
Banks have repeatedly warned customers to never click on any link from any email. OP clicked on a cloned link, imputed her banking username and password, OTP thereby giving full access of her account to the scammers.

Sorry @ OP.

2 Likes

Re: Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by dareenglish: 8:15am On May 21, 2017
look to all of you blaming the banks or thinking the banks should do something...they CANT..look, security is tricky, if you buy the best vault in the world...it has to have a key, now imagine that the BANK is the vault and you have the key...if you drop that key anywhere or use without being security conscious you mostly will lose you money.

P.S if the banks are hacked, you get your money back, however if the penetration comes from your end. well it can as well be you who made the transaction, the bast they will do is assist you.

sorry for your loss....if you want depending on how much you lost i can link you with people who can find Your hacker.
Re: Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by blank(f): 8:15am On May 21, 2017
Do people really fall for this scam? I am so surprised. Anytime you want yo go to your bank, open the page directly. Don't go through any link. If your "bank" sends you an email without your name stated, just ignore. Always check sender's name in any email purportedly from your bank.
Re: Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by Viking007(m): 10:32am On May 21, 2017
This is 2017 not 1991. For someone (a nairalander for that matter) to fall for this cheap scam is just ridiculous.
Re: Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by sotall(m): 10:48am On May 21, 2017
sorry bro.....I cant swallow this your story hook, line and sinker!

The first time you got that email and felt disturbed, the best and only thing you should have done is walk into any GT bank branch and ask questions .

You also said you called them with a credit worth 600 naira..... who exactly did you call? what were you told?

and then you went online to fill a form intentionally divulging all your security bank details.

you should be blamed if this story is true.
Re: Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by dareenglish: 10:32am On May 24, 2017
sotall:
sorry bro.....I cant swallow this your story hook, line and sinker!

The first time you got that email and felt disturbed, the best and only thing you should have done is walk into any GT bank branch and ask questions .

You also said you called them with a credit worth 600 naira..... who exactly did you call? what were you told?

and then you went online to fill a form intentionally divulging all your security bank details.

you should be blamed if this story is true.

dont be an ass....you talk as if you have never been scammed before even if it was 20 naira d conductor collected from you.
Re: Scam Alert!. Pls Beware!. by sotall(m): 11:47am On May 24, 2017
dareenglish:

dont be an ass....you talk as if you have never been scammed before even if it was 20 naira d conductor collected from you.
you dong have to sound pained . Just counter my arguments if you don't agree with any of my points.

(1) (Reply)

Cannibal Shot By Police For Refusing To Stop Eating Dead Woman(photo) / Lost Wallet: Should I Request A Police Report Or Court Affidavit. / Popular Calabar Night Club Owner, Akeem Buries 2 Kids & Piglet In Front Of Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.