Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Ijaw Genesis . . . - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaw Genesis . . . (1495 Views)

Buhari Can’t Double President, Petroleum Minister – Ijaw Groups / Return Jonathan Or Forget One Nigeria – Ijaw People / Why Are Ijaw/SE So Fixated On Who APC Chooses As Their Presidential Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ijaw Genesis . . . by No2Atheism(m): 2:58am On Jan 14, 2010
I can't embedd it to the site . . .as i can't seem to figure out how to do that . . . hence please use the link below instead . . .

http://www.ijawdictionary.com/menu/TheIjoGenesis.pdf

----------------------------
Re: Ijaw Genesis . . . by Tsiya(m): 3:28am On Jan 14, 2010
na you sabi.

It will still not put food on the table of mama ebele
Re: Ijaw Genesis . . . by naso2(m): 8:13am On Jan 14, 2010
Ol boy try attach the document ASAP make i see wether your story resemble truth.
Re: Ijaw Genesis . . . by Ibime(m): 9:19am On Jan 14, 2010
na_so:

Ol boy try attach the document ASAP make i see wether your story resemble truth.

http://www.ijawdictionary.com/menu/TheIjoGenesis.pdf
Re: Ijaw Genesis . . . by Beaf: 9:40am On Jan 14, 2010
This thread arose from another one in which some criminals that cannot be representative of Yoruba land have made very dangerous claims at their meetings for a Yoruba country.
They believe that Edo and Delta states's are "Yoruba zones". . . The insult.
They are only making an oil grab and it will be met with all the resistance the ND can muster.

That thread is here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-380562.0.html

Notably, one of the movers is a certain Prince Segun Adesegun; I am wondering if this person is becomerich, they have the same mad cap Benin republic idea.
Re: Ijaw Genesis . . . by No2Atheism(m): 10:39am On Jan 14, 2010
@Ibime

Has provided a link to a similar document . . . that was not the original method i wanted to use to attache it to the thread . . . I wanted to use scribd . . .so that the document can be read on nairaland itself without having to download it first . . .

Unfortunately since i can seem to get the embedding done . . .then it means i am going to have to stick with repeating what @Ibime has posted cus they are basically the same document . . . infact Ibime's version is cleaner . . .
Re: Ijaw Genesis . . . by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jan 14, 2010
scribd is very difficult to embed- you probably have to be a subscriber or something to do that though I'm not sure.

The origins of the Ijaw are rather difficult to track, since the word Ijaw itself is a relatively recent construction generalized by the British. You have to check the history of the subgroups, instead of the group itself as a whole.

besides, they tend to take on many characteristics of neighboring tribes, since intermingling is common.

One author considers the Bonny Ijos an Igboid tribe (like Opobo). The same author says Igbos came from central Africa. (note: I'm simply repeating what I read- I didnt say this is my opinion)

The Ijaws who traded with Igbos obviously took on Igbo characteristics, while the Ijaws located further west, in Yorubaland, intermingled with Yoruba.

This same author also says the bulk of the Ijo were originally Bini.

Personally, I think Urhobos are Ijoid in addition to Igboid.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Genesis . . . by Abagworo(m): 3:05pm On Jan 14, 2010
tpia.:

scribd is very difficult to embed- you probably have to be a subscriber or something to do that though I'm not sure.

The origins of the Ijaw are rather difficult to track, since the word Ijaw itself is a relatively recent construction generalized by the British. You have to check the history of the subgroups, instead of the group itself as a whole.

besides, they tend to take on many characteristics of neighboring tribes, since intermingling is common.

One author considers the Bonny Ijos an Igboid tribe (like Opobo). The same author says Igbos came from central Africa. (note: I'm simply repeating what I read- I didnt say this is my opinion)

The Ijaws who traded with Igbos obviously took on Igbo characteristics, while the Ijaws located further west, in Yorubaland, intermingled with Yoruba.

This same author also says the bulk of the Ijo were originally Bini.

Personally, I think Urhobos are Ijoid in addition to Igboid.

@bolded.personally(though without evidence), i share that view.i have a lot of friends from angola and zambia whose names sound igbo.it is said that some igbo slaves were settled there but the language they speak is entirely different.there is repeated occurence of thesame words but with different meanings.Congo might be the actual root of most nigerian tribes and not middle east.
Re: Ijaw Genesis . . . by Beaf: 3:32pm On Jan 14, 2010
The Ijaw history is 100%. They were the very first people in Southern Nigeria, every other group met them, so tpia saying the Ijaws were Bini's is characteristically stup!d. Having been the first to inhabit the land now called Benin, is totally different from being Bini.
In fact, saying the Ijaw were once Bini is as ridiculous as saying a great grandson is the parent of his great grandfather. angry
Re: Ijaw Genesis . . . by Ibime(m): 4:50pm On Jan 14, 2010
Abagworo:

@bolded.personally(though without evidence), i share that view.i have a lot of friends from angola and zambia whose names sound igbo.it is said that some igbo slaves were settled there but the language they speak is entirely different.there is repeated occurence of thesame words but with different meanings.Congo might be the actual root of most nigerian tribes and not middle east.

Of course Igbos came from Congo area. . . . their stature is a forest-dweller stature. . . even in behaviour, Igbos and Congolese are similar. . . . including dress sense! grin
Re: Ijaw Genesis . . . by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jan 14, 2010
Abagworo:

its the root words that are similar.

Sometimes the pronounciation is different.

For example, chi is pronounced ki down there.

However, like one anthropolgist pointed out, the languages have some interesting similarities showing contact at some point in time.

Ngozi  means blessing in Igbo but is the name of a province in Burundi and a small town in Zambia. It has a negative connotation in parts of south Africa- where it means danger, murder, accident or ancestor worship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngozi

http://www.search.com/reference/Ngozi

Central through south African bantu languages also have the root word Mu in their lexicon. Umu is people or children of in Igbo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ijaw Genesis . . . by ow11(m): 10:10pm On Jan 14, 2010
Trying very hard not to come across as being narrow minded BUT Congolese men dress like our brothers in Alaba. grin grin grin grin
Re: Ijaw Genesis . . . by asha80(m): 10:14pm On Jan 14, 2010
Abagworo:

i remember one CongoDR player in Burkina faso 98 whose name was Emeka shocked
Re: Ijaw Genesis . . . by No2Atheism(m): 12:00am On Jan 15, 2010
grin are we trying to say Igbos are no longer Jews but are now congolese . . . grin

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Genesis . . . by Nobody: 12:10am On Jan 15, 2010
^^ speaking generally (not my personal opinion)- being Congolese/subsaharan African doesnt cancel other linkages.

Lembas are from south Africa (maybe Congo side) but are said to be Jewish

(1) (Reply)

Who Is The Assistant Chief Of Army Staff / Sick Joke? Ejigbo L.g Chairman Calls Nigerians Fools! / Buhari Considers Pastor Tunde Bakare As Running Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.