Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,397 members, 7,808,428 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? (38137 Views)

Prophet Oladele Genesis Gives Widow Church Offering, Salary / How The Bible Shows That Abortion Is The Murder Of A Living Thing / Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Nofuckgiven: 9:21am On May 21, 2017
Atheists have infiltrated the thread already! When will they prove God doesn't exist?? undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by bomsilaga(m): 9:22am On May 21, 2017
Does heaven mean only where Jehovah resides?
The space above the earth before space is referred to as heaven too.
They didn't say to themselves to go to heaven and overthrow Jehovah.

2 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by NCANTaskForce: 9:22am On May 21, 2017
I'll only pay tithe in church again if they will give me God's account number to pay it in, If not, (Prisoners, Orphans, Beggars, Elderly, Poor people) will keep getting those tithe from me monthly,

I can't be paying tithe with my hard-earned money, only to see my pastor's son spending 600k a night on drinks in Quilox Club, It's my money that he is spending, He have to pay his own correct tithe first, Mtchew.

8 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by iwadobo: 9:22am On May 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

And when you wonder, you should ask the Holy Spirit for direction and wisdom, that thy faith not be tossed into the sea.

Now, based on what the Holy Spirit told me this morning, technology back then was much more advanced than we know today. Men were much strong -- Samson killed a lion with bare hands, and over 1500 Philistines all alone. The other nigga David was so bad-ass, all the mkpeke for Israel were singing his name "Saul has killed a 1000, David 10000". Remember the Prophet that ran and overtook a horse. What about Moses that divided the Red Sea? In those days, the Holy Spirt spread knowledge and power for men to do exploits.

So that's how they built a rock tower that almost reached heaven.

God had every right to be scared. Over-familiarity brings contempt.

God has every right to be scared of men? The holy ghost has really thought you something.

6 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Nobody: 9:22am On May 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

And when you wonder, you should ask the Holy Spirit for direction and wisdom, that thy faith not be tossed into the sea.

Now, based on what the Holy Spirit told me this morning, technology back then was much more advanced than we know today. Men were much strong -- Samson killed a lion with bare hands, and over 1500 Philistines all alone. The other nigga David was so bad-ass, all the mkpeke for Israel were singing his name "Saul has killed a 1000, David 10000". Remember the Prophet that ran and overtook a horse. What about Moses that divided the Red Sea? In those days, the Holy Spirt spread knowledge and power for men to do exploits.

grin cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by ekensi01: 9:23am On May 21, 2017
Was Hausa people among? If they're, this means it partiality cause they took the worses of people.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by mykel25(m): 9:24am On May 21, 2017
It is simple! They can never get to heaven even rockets didn't get to heaven rather space..... God knew they have a strong WILL and they when they build to a level it ll collapse n end up killing majority if not all...so he scattered their language because he won't wanna start creation of man all again

3 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by FitnessDoctor: 9:24am On May 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

Why would God be scared of mortal beings he could just wipe away with a word...
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by theimmortals(m): 9:25am On May 21, 2017
Deicide:

I am 100% sure that Yahweh doesnt exist tongue

Olodo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by walls01: 9:25am On May 21, 2017
zed7:
Genesis 11:4 to 7. This chapters talk about God not being pleased with the sons of men for wanting to build a tower that would get to heaven. Hence, He caused them to have different languages and casued confusion in their midst.
How realistic is it to build a tower to heaven?
Is heaven up?
Could the tower be as high as the Burj Khalifa?
Could the tower go as high as space ships which shoots up far into the skies?
Don't the world have a common language now?
Has anyone seen heaven today with all the latest technology available?

As a Christian, we sometimes wonder about certain passages in the bible.

So many questions to ponder on. The reason for this thread is to get explanations from bible 'scholars'. The floor is open.

The sky was generally translated as heaven by many translators of the Bible from the original manuscript. God want to scatter them through out the land because at that time the population of man is still very few

2 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by melejo(m): 9:26am On May 21, 2017
zed7:
Genesis 11:4 to 7. This chapters talk about God not being pleased with the sons of men for wanting to build a tower that would get to heaven. Hence, He caused them to have different languages and casued confusion in their midst.
Is heaven up?

So many questions to ponder on. The reason for this thread is to get explanations from bible 'scholars'. The floor is open.
Does the world have a common language today? Please op which language is common to everyone on earth?

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by boiz2men(m): 9:27am On May 21, 2017
Actually the problem was UNITY amongst men at that time.

If all men in this present day decides to do anything, believe me God may stir up another confusion amongst them. The power in agreement is too strong gods fear. The devil would become impotent when men agrees on anything.

4 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by okenwa(m): 9:28am On May 21, 2017
zed7:
Is heaven up?

Sincerely we had the best of Sunday school teachers then. Your questions are what little kids ask in those days. However, you can still be enlightened.

If you are familiar with the Bible, you will observe the world has undergone changes. The Heavens was just very much closer to the earth surface in those days. But it became clear that activities of mankind prompted the creator of the earth to shift it far from us.

The Bible is clear and truthful regarding this matter and many more information on it. Please believe

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by mescan(m): 9:30am On May 21, 2017
Make I dey read comments jare

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by melejo(m): 9:30am On May 21, 2017
NCANTaskForce:
I'll only pay tithe in church again if they will give me God's account number to pay it in, If not, (Prisoners, Orphans, Beggars, Elderly, Poor people) will keep getting those tithe from me monthly,

I can't be paying tithe with my hard-earned money, only to see my pastor's son spending 600k a night on drinks in Quilox Club, It's my money that he is spending, He have to pay his own correct tithe first, Mtchew.
Stop deceiving yourselve, I know your type. Who ask you for tithe? As if you can even give to buggers. Better go and give your life to Christ because that's the most important thing before you start ranting as if you know what is tithe

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by billagreen(m): 9:30am On May 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

telling me that God is scared, this is belittling o
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by mykel25(m): 9:31am On May 21, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

Y u dey carry holy spirit dey lie like this na Ur brain told u that after analysing it to your IQ

2 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by unitysheart(m): 9:31am On May 21, 2017
zed7:
Is heaven up?

Men of that time were near perfect. Don't also forget that the demons we have now were once angels and when they started frolicking with men on earth they tried as much as they could to help Satan actualize his original plan of showing that men could be perfect. Even with English being the official language of many nations today, you still can't throw away ethnicity, which is one thing that the event of Nimrod's time brought about.

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by waldigit: 9:33am On May 21, 2017
zed7:

Doesn't answer the questions one bit. How can prehistoric people build a tower to get to heaven? Building manually for that matter. Is heaven up? Most importantly, God scattered their plans by causing confusion in their midst because He didn't want them to achieve their aim. Read verse 6 "And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do."
It seems God actually said they could achieve their aim, so He scattered them. How possible is it to build a tower to heaven? Prehistoric men for that matter. Is heaven up? How come we don't see it when we fly in the plane. Lalasticlala, please push this to the front page. Let's hear from gurus.

Heavens seems so far in this physical dimension. In the spiritual dimension its a stroll away. The unique thing about man is that he both exist in physical and spiritual. God is a spirit, or a special light being. light emitting entity without heat as member of the spectrum. Man may one day unravelled the misery of relationship be physical and spiritual dimensions. God only defer such understanding at the tower if Babel to allow fulfillment of his plans for mankind. The bible provides a clue of time and space perception in both physical and spiritual realm by saying a day is like a thousand year while a thousand year is like a day to God.

2 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by NCANTaskForce: 9:33am On May 21, 2017
melejo:
Who ask you for tithe? As if you can even give to beggers. Better go and give your life to Christ before you start ranting as if you know what is tithe
This is our pastor's son that i'm talking about, The one who spends 600k a night on drinks, Thieves.

3 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by sonmvayina(m): 9:33am On May 21, 2017
fratermathy:
Don't take these things literally. They are allegories. Meant to symbolise something else.

Probably, the act of building a tower symbolises man's endless desire and curiousity. This particular chapter the op asked about deals with the myth behind multilingualism.

The stories in the Bible are mostly like literature. They are meant to be interpreted. It's just sad that many Christians take them literally.
The best answer so far..

5 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Believe7(m): 9:33am On May 21, 2017
in those men cud do the imposible..
like sampson killing a lion wit his bare hands
david even b4 killing goliath, use to kill bears dat come after his sheeps..
those days, men cud do crazy tins..by d help of God..
and also remember d mind is very powerful..any tin d mind can conceive, it can achieve
talkless of wen men of like minds come 2geda in unity jst to achieve an aim
my brother it ll only take God to stop them.. imagine technologies today founded by single men..them bill gates, zukerberg e.t.c..
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Shafiiimran99: 9:34am On May 21, 2017
Lie
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by goingape1: 9:34am On May 21, 2017
okenwa:

Sincerely we had the best of Sunday school teachers then. Your questions are what little kids ask in those days. However, you can still be enlightened.

If you are familiar with the Bible, you will observe the world has undergone changes. The Heavens was just very much closer to the earth surface in those days. But it became clear that activities of mankind prompted the creator of the earth to shift it far from us.

The Bible is clear and truthful regarding this matter and many more information on it. Please believe
ya all niggas are wrong!

dead wrong!

it is because of there sinful act and in those days block is more valuable than a humans life!

the main aim of building the tower was to wage a war against God.

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by DavidEsq(m): 9:34am On May 21, 2017
SirWere:

What sort of nonsense logic is this and how does it relate to what The OP asked??
Sori, he is right. God told Adam and Eve to be fruitful and fill the whole earth. Building the tower wld bring about a counter-productive effect, since man wld be fixed to one place and based on their intention of escaping from a futuristic punishment from God, they cldnt intend to go far away from the tower.
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by sonofluc1fer: 9:34am On May 21, 2017
FitnessDoctor:

Why would God be scared of mortal beings he could just wipe away with a word...
Because God is Man is God.

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by mykel25(m): 9:36am On May 21, 2017
bkool7:
God became angry with the inhabitants of Babel
for the following reasons:

1. They were being disobedient by settling,
when God clearly commanded to “Be fruitful
and multiply, and fill the earth” (Genesis 9:7)
. God does not tolerate disobedience, and
this is exactly what the inhabitants of Babel
were doing.

2. They were being prideful, which is a wicked
sin. The text clearly reveals the state of mind
of these people “Let us make a name for
ourselves.” They were bent on pride, and so
consumed by it that they wanted to create a
monumental skyscraper to “show off” just
how good they were.

3. Idolatry. While this passage does not go into
great detail concerning the idolatrous
practices of the Babylonians, the fact that
they wanted to ignore God and make a name
for themselves reveals that they were already
committing idolatry by worshipping “self."

Some commentators have suggested that
they would have worshipped pagan gods of
the stars and moon as well.
God does not get upset because He suspects the
people of Babel will actually build a tower in to
the heavens (the abode of God). In fact, this is
only an expression they uttered meaning
Artists Depiction of Tower of Babel
that the building would be a very tall building.
The word “heavens” in the Bible can refer to the
sky, outer space, or the abode of God.
What made God upset is that they are not filling
the Earth, were being prideful, and they were
committing idolatry.
God knew that they could do much evil working
collectively. This is why He utters, “Behold, they
are one people, and have one language, and this
is only the beginning of what they will do. And
nothing they propose to do will now be
impossible for them” (Genesis 11:6).
After this, God confounds their languages, which
is why we now have so many today. What’s
interesting to note is this: When people all had
one language, they achieved incredible things
very quickly–even the potential to create a
building that “reached into the heavens,” all
without today’s technology or machinery. But
after God changed their language, it greatly
diminished their productivity and abilities.
What about today’s time? We live in an age where
we now have translators and software that can
allow for rapid communication with people of
other languages. Language is not as much of a
barrier as it used to be, and we are witnessing
incredible feats in human history. We have
decoded the human genome, made huge
discoveries in science, engineering, technology,
and more.
What God knew was happening in the time of
Babel is once again happening today. As the
speech barrier is broken down, man is rising up.
God’s words of “And nothing that they propose to
do will be impossible for them” is starting to
once again come true, as in the time of Babel.
That is why wickedness is increasing at such a
fast pace. Not only are we accomplishing more,
but we too are trying to “make a name for
ourselves.” We are trying to worship man instead
of God.
Are you ready for the return of Christ? If you died
today, are you 100% sure that you’d be saved
from God’s judgment? If not, please accept Christ
as your savior today. Pray a prayer to God asking
for the forgiveness of yours sins, and put your
trust and faith in the risen Christ.

revelation.co/2009/01/05/why-did-god-get-angry-at-the-tower-of-babel-people/

Wack analysis... So after scattering their language people with same language can't continue in that sin Abi....God is not dull na biko
Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by Hiswordmylife: 9:36am On May 21, 2017
The story in Genesis 11 of the tower of babel was not to be literally interpreted but rather it was Gods way of discouraging idolatory. Back then after creation when man started procreating and filling the earth, there was a disconnect btw humanity and divinity a relationship that formally existed btw adam and God. Hence men came together in an attempt to restore that relationship believed in the construction of a path back to God i.e the building reaching heaven. God understood their knowledge deficiency and knew it will lead the worship of the building decided to scatter their plans. Up till now, men are till setting up different platform and altars to get back to God called RELIGION. so people there is no confusion in the word of God only if you allow the Author to give u insight. Happy sunday people God bless u all.

2 Likes

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by rxgodwin(m): 9:37am On May 21, 2017
The wisdom of man is nothing but foolishness before God.

I rest my case.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by sexy74(m): 9:37am On May 21, 2017
zed7:

Doesn't answer the questions one bit. How can prehistoric people build a tower to get to heaven? Building manually for that matter. Is heaven up? Most importantly, God scattered their plans by causing confusion in their midst because He didn't want them to achieve their aim. Read verse 6 "And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do."
It seems God actually said they could achieve their aim, so He scattered them. How possible is it to build a tower to heaven? Prehistoric men for that matter. Is heaven up? How come we don't see it when we fly in the plane. Lalasticlala, please push this to the front page. Let's hear from gurus.
pre-historic men built the pyramids which modern men up till today have issues with knowing about it.
Remember pre historic men but the ark that never sank modern built Titanic that sank.
There are so many other things the pre-historic men did that we modern men don't understand.
Remember everything is possible as long as you believe and work towards it in unity.

1 Like

Re: Genesis 11 : 4 To 7: How Realistic Is This Part Of The Bible? by DavidEsq(m): 9:38am On May 21, 2017
okenwa:

And ur answer is as hilarious and childish.
Pls direct us to the relevant scriptures to support ur answer. Chai! Uwa don mmebi finish!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Order Of Egbesu Brotherhood (OEB) Member Performs Rites In A River In Bayelsa / TB Joshua's Daughter, Ajoke Tortured After Standing Up To 'Daddy' / Mad Man And Pastor Involved In Physical Combat During Deliverance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.