Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,052 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:07 AM

Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor (1440 Views)

Osinbajo’s 48 Hours As Acting President - Punch / Limiting Probe To Jonathan Cannot Be Justified, Falana Tells Buhari / N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Nobody: 12:23am On Jan 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

So, declaring Yar adua incompetent is not in itself a giant step for Nigeria?

The president is brain damaged? Where did you get that from? The daily barrage of rumours Nigerian are fed of what is going on? Do you know that part of Dora Akunyili’s job as minister of information is to inform the Nigerian people at all steps of what is going on with their government and how and why of things? I just felt to add that bit because I see people do not seem to be complaining much that the truth is purposely being hidden from then at all levels by people that ought to work to reveal these things.
Back to the main, there is no proof that the man is brain dead, but you can prove incompetence and you can run with that. I have said it over and over. You do run into problem when you focus just on the president since his CABAL is made up of people in his cabinet. You go against them all and you probably have a better chance of them offering up the top two just to save themselves.

PishPosh!!! Calling for resignation of the VP as well is Upholding the same constitution. Why the half saves when we can, for the first time in our history, go for a full save ? These two men have their hands deep in the problem we have in the country today. Why offer up Yar adua as if he came in and has been there alone? How can you SAVE NIGERIA when you are still getting the same old? Yes, he is the same old because he came in the same ticket as the old, sat by enjoying his pay and the benefits of the job while life in the country deteriorated, and we have no proof or call from him that he will run the country any differently. How can you SAVE NIGERIA by giving Nigeria the same it has gotten over the last 2 years, only in semi new skin?

rotflmao grin

You've always being a dreamer. I hope you can differentiate between what we CAN do and what we SHOULD do. Just because the likes of Wole Soyinka thought of this SAVE NIGERIA thing dosent mean we've transformed overnight from a voiceless nation to a proactive one!

I'm not asking for the impossible. Baby steps are fine by me. Nothing gets acheived when you try to do too much anyway!!!

Honestly, I am more dissapointed with this administaration than you are. But all I can see is a Coup looming in the horizon if someone dosent take over the mantle of leadership ASAP!

It's an establishe fact that the President and his cabinet has failed woefully and honsetly, I'm all for weeding them out right away. But knowing Nigeria, I think I want to be a bit realistic. We have a great opportunity to address that. Next year is a election year afterall. For now, I think Soyinka et al are in order!

As for the President's health status. For me, it's a very simple explaination. With the rising tension and demand for the whereabouts of the President, it's obvious that he has refused to give a concrete answer because he CANNOT. Even if he's lying paralysed in a hospital, he can still give a broadcast from his sick bed. He's definitely dead or brain damaged!
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Kobojunkie: 12:23am On Jan 15, 2010
http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

[size=13pt]144. (1) The President or Vice-President shall cease to hold office, if -

(a) by a resolution passed by two-thirds majority of all the members of the executive council of the Federation it is declared that the President or Vice-President is incapable of discharging the functions of his office; and

(b) the declaration is verified, after such medical examination as may be necessary, by a medical panel established under subsection (4) of this section in its report to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives.

(2) Where the medical panel certifies in the report that in its opinion the President or Vice-President is suffering from such infirmity of body or mind as renders him permanently incapable of discharging the functions of his office, a notice thereof signed by the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives shall be published in the Official Gazette of the Government of the Federation.

(3) The President or Vice-President shall cease to hold office as from the date of publication of the notice of the medical report pursuant to subsection (2) of this section.

(4) the medical panel to which this section relates shall be appointed by the President of the Senate, and shall comprise five medical practitioners in Nigeria:-

(a) one of whom shall be the personal physician of the holder of the office concerned; and

(b) four other medical practitioners who have, in the opinion of the President of the Senate, attained a high degree of eminence in the field of medicine relative to the nature of the examination to be conducted in accordance with the foregoing provisions.

(5) In this section, the reference to "executive council of the Federation" is a reference to the body of Ministers of the Government of the Federation, howsoever called, established by the President and charged with such responsibilities for the functions of government as the President may direct.[/size]

Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Kobojunkie: 12:24am On Jan 15, 2010

[size=13pt]145. Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice-President as Acting President.

146. (1) The Vice-President shall hold the office of President if the office of President becomes vacant by reason of death or resignation, impeachment, permanent incapacity or the removal of the President from office for any other reason in accordance with section 143 of this Constitution.

(2) Where any vacancy occurs in the circumstances mentioned in subsection (1) of this section during a period when the office of Vice-President is also vacant, the President of the Senate shall hold the office of President for a period of not more than three months, during which there shall be an election of a new President, who shall hold office for the unexpired term of office of the last holder of the office.

(3) Where the office of Vice-President becomes vacant:-

(a) by reason of death or resignation, impeachment, permanent incapacity or removal in accordance with section 143 or 144 of this Constitution;

(b) by his assumption of the office of President in accordance with subsection (1) of this section; or

(c) for any other reason,

the President shall nominate and, with the approval of each House of the National Assembly, appoint a new Vice-President.[/size]

Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Kobojunkie: 12:46am On Jan 15, 2010
Ujujoan:

rotflmao grin

You've always being a dreamer. I hope you can differentiate between what we CAN do and what we SHOULD do. Just because the likes of Wole Soyinka thought of this SAVE NIGERIA thing dosent mean we've transformed overnight from a voiceless nation to a proactive one!

Well, at least you are willing to admit that the NORTH and the so called CABAL are not the problems then. Phew!! Finally!!

Ujujoan:

I'm not asking for the impossible. Baby steps are fine by me. Nothing gets acheived when you try to do too much anyway!!!
Funny how WITHOUT EVEN TRYING FOR IT you have deemed it IMPOSSIBLE when your own constitution spells out that it is. I mean what happened to UPHOLDING the constitution? Let me guess, that only applies to the piece of it you are willing to wrap your mind around? I am just asking here!

Ujujoan:

Honestly, I am more dissapointed with this administaration than you are. But all I can see is a Coup looming in the horizon if someone dosent take over the mantle of leadership ASAP!

You don’t say? Funny, I never really got that vibe from you at all. I don’t see a looming coup; I see NECESSARY Chaos on the way to where we want to go.

Ujujoan:

It's an establishe fact that the President and his cabinet has failed woefully and honsetly, I'm all for weeding them out right away. But knowing Nigeria, I think I want to be a bit realistic. We have a great opportunity to address that. Next year is a election year afterall. For now, I think Soyinka et al are in order!
And his Cabinet? shocked Yet you have been here calling for the same cabinet to continue? We have survived over 50 days, I am certain the sky will not fall if we work to get rid of them all now. I am not saying they are not in order. Matter of fact, I am not even sure they are towing the same line that you are. From what I have read, it seems every person has a different idea of what it means to SAVE Nigeria, only I wonder where

Ujujoan:

As for the President's health status. For me, it's a very simple explaination. With the rising tension and demand for the whereabouts of the President, it's obvious that he has refused to give a concrete answer because he CANNOT. Even if he's lying paralysed in a hospital, he can still give a broadcast from his sick bed. He's definitely dead or brain damaged!

Again!! The rumor mill has been feeding us with rumors and nothing more. The minute we get serious and call for a complete change of government, maybe then, and only then, will we get the respect we deserve from this administration. I listened to the supposed interview he gave the BBC and all I heard was the voice of a man who had absolutely no concern for the opinion or situation of his own people. In fact he felt too sure he would be back to office. And calling to save Nigeria by simply booting him and not the rest of his men out is a joke because as long as they remain in power, they are likely to keep this man on for another term if able to.
By the way, Jonathan is a part and parcel of this administration/cabinet.
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by mamagee3(f): 12:55am On Jan 15, 2010
Jonathan Goodluck can't be Nigeria's president
he's as weak as anything I have ever seen
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Eziachi: 12:58am On Jan 15, 2010
Jonathan can't be president, he is born from among the inferior tribe.
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Kobojunkie: 1:00am On Jan 15, 2010
Eziachi:

Jonathan can't be president, he is born from among the inferior tribe.

Even Fashola, during his time under Tinubu PROVED he had some substance, Jonathan has yet to show he is any different from the company he keeps. This is not about his tribe as he is not the only southerner in that cabinet.
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Nobody: 10:02am On Jan 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Well, at least you are willing to admit that the NORTH and the so called CABAL are not the problems then. Phew!! Finally!!

Funny how WITHOUT EVEN TRYING FOR IT you have deemed it IMPOSSIBLE when your own constitution spells out that it is. I mean what happened to UPHOLDING the constitution? Let me guess, that only applies to the piece of it you are willing to wrap your mind around? I am just asking here!

Like I said, I'm just being realistic. You on the other hand is being utterly unrealistic. Going for 'incompetence and failure to deleiver' with this Administation is like going for the moon. Nigeria never reach that level. The only way to achieve that is through a Military Coup and I know you do not want that either!

If we wanted to follow the constitution, we didn't need to wait for the President to dissapear. We would have done that after he declared his 7-point agenda!

You don’t say? Funny, I never really got that vibe from you at all. I don’t see a looming coup; I see NECESSARY Chaos on the way to where we want to go.
And his Cabinet? shocked Yet you have been here calling for the same cabinet to continue? We have survived over 50 days, I am certain the sky will not fall if we work to get rid of them all now. I am not saying they are not in order. Matter of fact, I am not even sure they are towing the same line that you are. From what I have read, it seems every person has a different idea of what it means to SAVE Nigeria, only I wonder where

Well, you are obviously not 'seeing' clearly if you can't see that the Military is waiting to exploit this opportunity. Not that I balme them, because we have compeletly failed to take care of ourselves. Choas is what we already have now . . .

Again!! The rumor mill has been feeding us with rumors and nothing more. The minute we get serious and call for a complete change of government, maybe then, and only then, will we get the respect we deserve from this administration. I listened to the supposed interview he gave the BBC and all I heard was the voice of a man who had absolutely no concern for the opinion or situation of his own people. In fact he felt too sure he would be back to office. And calling to save Nigeria by simply booting him and not the rest of his men out is a joke because as long as they remain in power, they are likely to keep this man on for another term if able to.
By the way, Jonathan is a part and parcel of this administration/cabinet.

There is no smoke without fire. If the rumor mongers say the President is dead, then he's probably incapacitated, if not actually dead. We've given him 50 days to prove the rumours wrong and he has refused to do that. I bet they have the best doctors working on his brain to get him back to coherence! cheesy cheesy

The save Nigeria group is not asking for a change of government, just for a proper representation of the one we already have. Now if you decide to propagate that agenda, I'm sure you'll have a lot of supporters here. wink cheesy
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Kobojunkie: 3:13pm On Jan 15, 2010
Ujujoan:

Like I said, I'm just being realistic. You on the other hand is being utterly unrealistic. Going for 'incompetence and failure to deleiver' with this Administation is like going for the moon. Nigeria never reach that level. The only way to achieve that is through a Military Coup and I know you do not want that either!

Are you certain you are being realistic here? I mean you are afraid of a coup – a coup would essentially remove both president, vp and most everyone under this administration, to transfer power into unknowns --- but you believe it is not realistic to demand the President and his posy step down, even when the constitution gives you a way to achieve that? Hhmmmm . . . . .

You definitely do not know what I want . . . . lol . If you are not going on incompetence and failure, what else do you think you can go for? Let me guess, brain damage without proof of it?? ROFLMAO!! If you read the constitution there, it does mention that the medical officers have to make that their finding for that to even happen. So far, the medical officers have said he is fit to rule, hence the reason why he continues from his bed.

Ujujoan:

If we wanted to follow the constitution, we didn't need to wait for the President to dissapear. We would have done that after he declared his 7-point agenda!
That you didn’t do that then, due to one reason or just simply nonchalance on our part, does not mean you cannot do that now.

Ujujoan:

Well, you are obviously not 'seeing' clearly if you can't see that the Military is waiting to exploit this opportunity. Not that I balme them, because we have compeletly failed to take care of ourselves. Choas is what we already have now . . .

The failure you speak of didn’t start yesterday. It’s been almost 50 years in the making, my dear. I see every possible, and a military coup, may not be a bad idea. But I only see it all as necessary chaos to possibly get us to wake up to the fact that we have been punishing our own selves all this while.

Ujujoan:

There is no smoke without fire. If the rumor mongers say the President is dead, then he's probably incapacitated, if not actually dead. We've given him 50 days to prove the rumours wrong and he has refused to do that. I bet they have the best doctors working on his brain to get him back to coherence! cheesy cheesy

Na lie!!! It is scientifically possible to get smoke without fire. Rumor can be based on PURE LIES. I can just walk into mile12 today and shout that Obama is dead . . . before 5pm; I bet you that rumor would have reached Ikoyi, Mushin, even Epe areas. Obama might even ignore calls to prove the rumors wrong out of disgust (I would not blame him . . . lol) What truth do you want to suck out of that one?

Let us stop gobbling up the rumors but rather cultivate a habit to dig deep to find out the facts. If the man is brain dead or incapacitated, and those in ASO ROCK know of it, don’t you think that would include the VP? And would that then not mean he is one of the conspirators against the nation?

Ujujoan:

The save Nigeria group is not asking for a change of government, just for a proper representation of the one we already have. Now if you decide to propagate that agenda, I'm sure you'll have a lot of supporters here. wink cheesy

When I looked at the SAVE NIGERIA Agenda, it definitely did not call for change of government or for support of anyone over the other. However, reports I have read and quotes from some of those heading the move has made me wonder if this was not all a ruse to push for the resignation of the president so Jonathan can get the post.

If you read on one of the threads, I actually posted the 10 poverty facts that I found for the move. Now, I am not sure how they got around to inserting a line for Jonathan into all that.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafra Massob Backs Gaddafi On Split Nigeria / Underage Voters / Racial Inequality - Black Unemployment At Highest Level In 27-years In The US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.