Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,449 members, 7,808,604 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:10 PM

Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria (6968 Views)

7 Reasons Why Software Development Is So Hard / Free Software, Web And Mobile Development On Google Classroom And Zoom. / I Need A Software/web Developer In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:45am On Jul 30, 2017
O yeah, speaking of open-source and stuffs ehn, the new Nairaland is almost out - in another 24 - 48 hours

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 30, 2017
dhtml18:
O yeah, speaking of open-source and stuffs ehn, the new Nairaland is almost out - in another 24 - 48 hours
cheesy
Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by davinchecodes(m): 6:44pm On Aug 03, 2017
dhtml18:

I cannot sell my trade secret just like that now. Of course there has to be money in the end, but it is about building trust in each other.
Bro thanks, I got my own team.
We currently work based on trust and the end goals.

1 Like

Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 04, 2017
Afam4eva:

I think we've gone beyond the era of ideas doing the magic. The problem these days is mostly funding and putting the proper structure in place. There are a lot of smart people who can whip up ideas anyhow, so ideas are really not it these days.
Lol. Ideas - funding = No Idea.
Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by Leopantro: 10:14am On Feb 15, 2018
silento:

I will never forget dhtml18
that guy is the reason my bank account is smilling today

I use to develop desktop app

until I start monitoring dhtml18 I discover that this guy knows many language but html na his selling point I start emulating him I start learning html 1week. css 1week getting to php I discover it was almost same with c language my favorite language

so I just look at it once download a reference pdf for php

head over to sql and mysql under one month I finish am ready to test my skills learnt so far

few weeks later a close friend hook me up to program huawei modem unlock code calculator in php I was paid 15k

it was like a movies

less than 2weeks I landed a farm website and a website for organization this two website landed almost 150k in my account in less than one month

I have coded in c,c++,python for 4years with total gain of 80k for almost 3years

but in less than 3months in web developing I have earn more than 200k

the reason people fail in programming world is not solving a real problem with your code

you have love calculator, scientific calculator, love calculator, bank software, school, hotel software

they are good but have you actually been to hotel to see how hotel systems work have you been to school and ask lectures and teachers what they need to help them do there work and suggests ideals for them

before I dive into web programming I have offline software which I have do for individuals that help them carry out there daily task fast and easy

this people are the ones that referred to me almost 40% of my web clients

so here is my reasons why people fail

1.not making a usefulness software

2. not knowing your niche ;

believe it or not nothing sells than online and mobile software in Nigeria

200millions active internet users Bro

why develop for offline if you are sure 200millions are waiting online for your web app

3. cheap price

I was once guilty of this
under charging a client later you will discover that only gas money have finish all the money that the beginning of not meeting a dead line

you don't need to kill your client with price

but try to calculate the cost before telling a client the final amount and always to extra 50k or 40K we dey Nigeria even if you tell Him 1k he will still price it five hundreds

it is better to be called over charging programmer than to be called a quack one who always fails to deliver

I will save the lest for another day

could I get the name of the book you used please?
Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:34am On Feb 16, 2018
Just Adding my own 2 kobo to all the good ideas by others....

I think one of the things also killing our tech industry is what i call the LOCAL CHAMPION SYNDROME.. I have meet too many people that think dey be king kong for programming just because dey better pass the people around them when in fact what they know is not up to the level of one 16yr old boy in US or china.This creates a problem for because we end up over hyping our skills when in fact we are mediocre and at the end of the day ,we are not able to compete on the world stage...

I'm not saying we don't have guys that are very good,what am saying is that the vast majority of us self acclaimed gurus are not there yet. Take for example the smart glasses by intel(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnfwClgheF0&t=4s ) . To build something like this no be by mouth or by being able to write 10k lines of code. you need to have really deep knowledge of whatever technology you are using.

Like i said , i do believe their are people who have real depth in their fields but they are just too few and until the rest of us stop this chairman attitude and start accepting we still have much more to learn, we go tey for this mediocrity wey we dey.

I believe this will also foster collaboration and knowledge sharing because once we remove that unnecessary pride from the equation, people would be more open to share and to receive thereby increasing the general knowledge pool..

In the words of Mr Kendrick Lamar, lets be humble , sit down and get to work...

2 Likes

Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by davinchecodes(m): 1:25pm On Feb 16, 2018
omokoladejames:
Just Adding my own 2 kobo to all the good ideas by others....

I think one of the things also killing our tech industry is what i call the LOCAL CHAMPION SYNDROME.. I have meet too many people that think dey be king kong for programming just because dey better pass the people around them when in fact what they know is not up to the level of one 16yr old boy in US or china.This creates a problem for because we end up over hyping our skills when in fact we are mediocre and at the end of the day ,we are not able to compete on the world stage...

I'm not saying we don't have guys that are very good,what am saying is that the vast majority of us self acclaimed gurus are not there yet. Take for example the smart glasses by intel(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnfwClgheF0&t=4s ) . To build something like this no be by mouth or by being able to write 10k lines of code. you need to have really deep knowledge of whatever technology you are using.

Like i said , i do believe their are people who have real depth in their fields but they are just too few and until the rest of us stop this chairman attitude and start accepting we still have much more to learn, we go tey for this mediocrity wey we dey.

I believe this will also foster collaboration and knowledge sharing because once we remove that unnecessary pride from the equation, people would be more open to share and to receive thereby increasing the general knowledge pool..

In the words of Mr Kendrick Lamar, lets be humble , sit down and get to work...

Whats your stack BRO?
Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by GenghisAlexa1(m): 1:42pm On Feb 16, 2018
Good day great people. I am Olawale, I have this idea for my next startup which I plan and hope would be ready to send for incubation this year. Problem is,I am a one man team as it stands, and wack as I know I am, I am arguably the best programmer within my 2G network. From my assessment of this project, I believe outsourcing would cost me in more in the long term as I could be very easily held hostage when I need support and I believe my vision for the company requires that I have a team under one roof who can be with us for the long haul and who can bring some tech to our sessions. I have a small office space at Surulere already and the project's selling points lean heavily on virtual reality. I have made some headway with WP for our site and my research shows the tech has caught up with the concept. I need developers who can partner with us. We are about 3 now, one customer acquisition/Care person and a core industry professional. We need technical partners with the vision of one becoming our CTO.

Up to this point this project is completely bootstrapping but I have received my first angel investment from my guardian angel.

I am a hustler but i still have shallow pockets, still looking for bigger angel investments(I'm antisocial but im talking to everyone on this one), we'll pay some money for you to work with us at the beginning , most likely not as much as you currently earn but you'll be free to freelance still, we just need someone who is interested in the long term and can give us some level of commitment and security, who can stand as our tech cofounder whenever we need to pitch, we have also set aside some equity, if you believe in the project.

I have hundreds of VCs, whose contacts I paid good money for, lined up in my mailbox , the plan is to hit them up very very often and we are considering an ICO as a second option as soon as we are confident we have a working iteration of our MVP. So if you can code blockchain too, I'll introduce you to my sister.

The niche is real estate and we believe the industry is ripe for disruption. Plus, there is a wave of investments in PropTech startups. This industry is a low hanging fruit and by God's grace we can expect juicy investments from very close to the beginning. We have some competitors which are mainly early bird niche and general classifieds whose value propositions are mainly listing space and seo for visibility. Our value propositions include these and some extra tools which ease the customer's decision making while also reducing the wastage of resources of agents on transactions that fail. Plus, our MVP includes a way of making the creation of these content and tools easy to create and user-generated thereby allowing us to focus our resources on the tech thus allowing us room to scale easily.

This industry attracts very deep pockets and is one of the most trusted investments even for the illiterate.

The market is truly huge and bubbling,

We are going to create tools that would ease the core processes for the industry by greasing decision and transaction pain points with tech, increase the efficiency of interactions and thus allow more deals to be closed.

We are going to attract, impress and retain new classes and generations of players to the industry.

We would pioneer the process of digitizing the sector and eventually democratize the investment process whilst giving room for the core industry pros to still be as relevant as possible.

If we execute properly to a certain point in the plan, we would start attracting forex to any country we are in and Nigeria would be the first beneficiary of our efforts.

Please reply to my mail if you're interested. kareemtunmise007@gmail.com or whatsapp 07039787010.
Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:42pm On Feb 16, 2018
Sorry bro, I don't have a stack cos I'm a product designer not a full-time programmer any more but I can work with Java, Ruby on Rails,PHP, JavaScript,c++,a couple of other php frameworks and I'm picking up Python this year, because of this whole big data stuff.

davinchecodes:

Whats your stack BRO?
Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by davinchecodes(m): 10:58pm On Feb 16, 2018
omokoladejames:
Sorry bro, I don't have a stack cos I'm a product designer not a full-time programmer any more but I can work with Java, Ruby on Rails,PHP, JavaScript,c++,a couple of other php frameworks and I'm picking up Python this year, because of this whole big data stuff.

Why are you not having a start-up or in one bro?

I'm a product designer
Can you expanciate Pls?
Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:53am On Feb 17, 2018
davinchecodes:

Why are you not having a start-up or in one bro?
Bro I'm actually working at a startup,hence my new job role.

Can you expanciate Pls?
It's actually a broad concept but basically my role is to take an idea and develop it into a final product that customers would pay for. So it start from asking if X is our problem, is this idea the best way in solving the problem from a customer's perspective. If the idea validates, then it's off to working with everyone involved in the design and development chain from the UX to the UI to the programmers,the network guys ,support and anybody else that might be involved, hence the need for me to be able to speak everyone's language. So it's not just about how the product looks and feels but how it works.
Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by shugamummy: 9:03am On Feb 17, 2018
dragonking2:
Please how did you apply for the job?
Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by davinchecodes(m): 12:44pm On Feb 17, 2018
omokoladejames:

Bro I'm actually working at a startup,hence my new job role.

It's actually a broad concept but basically my role is to take an idea and develop it into a final product that customers would pay for. So it start from asking if X is our problem, is this idea the best way in solving the problem from a customer's perspective. If the idea validates, then it's off to working with everyone involved in the design and development chain from the UX to the UI to the programmers,the network guys ,support and anybody else that might be involved, hence the need for me to be able to speak everyone's language. So it's not just about how the product looks and feels but how it works.

Cool bro,
Are there hope for data achitect ?

1 Like

Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 17, 2018
davinchecodes:

Cool bro,
Are there hope for data achitect ?

Sure. With the trend moving towards IOT AND machine learning, data architects are becoming increasingly important.
Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by davinchecodes(m): 4:41pm On Feb 17, 2018
omokoladejames:

Sure. With the trend moving towards IOT AND machine learning, data architects are becoming increasingly important.
Thanks bro, How did you join a start-up or are you a founder?
Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:01pm On Feb 17, 2018
davinchecodes:

Thanks bro, How did you join a start-up or are you a founder?

You welcome boss... Yea i'm one of the founders...
Re: Why Software/web/mobile Application Projects Fail In Nigeria by davinchecodes(m): 1:56am On Feb 18, 2018
omokoladejames:

You welcome boss... Yea i'm one of the founders...
Can you tell me more on your journey?
How did you start?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Assembly Language Dead? / Ruby On Rails Developers In Nigeria / Principles Of Great Coding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.