Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,719 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:01 PM

No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate (22408 Views)

TCH: Nigeria's Power Grid Has Collapsed 108 Times Since Privatisation / AlJazeera: 'Nigeria's Worsening Job Crisis Feels Like There's No Hope' / Dangote Deep-sea Pipeline To Boost Nigeria’s Power Generation By 12,000mw (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by DeRay98(m): 12:36pm On May 25, 2017
Reference:

It will not work. The success of the GSM project was because it was entirely a private business concern. No company can compete with government in terms of resources and legislative power. If government establishes a cheaper alternative even billionaires will hook up, the private ones will die out. in the GSM model, the initial roll out was expensive. Massive income and clean balance sheets attracted the capital investment that enabled a spread of services to less endowed locations. This is how capitalist systems works. Government thought it was smart and tried the two track system for power. This is the result.

Good analysis but you forgot that Nitel (govt owned) also had a mobile network (ntel)as same time as econet and mtn from the start but inefficient and the typical govt company mentality killed it. Several attempts were made to sell it to investors but non materialised, the private companies that started from scratch built their infrastructure and are thriving till date.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by three: 12:47pm On May 25, 2017
obailala:
When you feel a compulsion to always politicise everything along the lines of PDP vs APC, you end up exposing your own ignorance. Since you claim the power crisis makes APC a failure, let's go down the road and determine who the bigger failure is.

PDP spent over $24 billion on power between 1999 and 2015 ($16 billion by OBJ and $8+ billion by GEJ). But what did PDP handover to APC with regards to power supply?

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/183496-nigerias-power-generation-at-all-time-low-crashes-to-1327mw.html
http://allafrica.com/stories/201505250099.html

1327mw was Nigeria's exact power generation figure on the week when PDP was handing over to APC. Your statement of 4000mw is either out of ignorance or a deliberate attempt at misinformation. So now that you know the truth, and since you want to play the apc vs pdp game, kindly tell us who is the bigger failure?

This are the Daily Operational Reports for the 22nd May 2015 and 29th May 2015 from the Nigerian Electricity System Operator http://www.nsong.org/Library.aspx

In being as bold as to make your assertions you should at least have fact checked the news source and gone to the original source.

Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by obailala(m): 1:16pm On May 25, 2017
magoo10:

See you .
check your facts well ,jonathan left power output at 4000mega watt ,even APC can't deny it let alone you.

Tinubu le leyi
fashola le leyi
otumba le leyi
ndi oshi le leyi
lols
I posted a link to support my point as a fact. Kindly step aside please if you can't substantiate your claims, I don't engage with people who dwell on empty conjectures.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by magoo10(m): 1:34pm On May 25, 2017
obailala:
I posted a link to support my point as a fact. Kindly step aside please if you can't substantiate your claims, I don't engage with people who dwell on empty conjectures.
•The Goodluck Jonathan administration has improved the power generation from around 2000 megawatts to 4502 megawatts in December 2012 the highest since Nigeria returned to democratic rule in 1999.
•By July this year, power generation will hit 6,000 megawatts and by December this year it will hit 10,000 megawatts (assurance given last week by Minister of State for Power).
•All ten Power Plants under the National Integrated Power Projects (NIPP) scheme to be commissioned by the end of this year. At the moment, majority of them have reached 95 percent completion stage.
•Improved power supply has been boosted in part by the emergency declared in the Gas sector last year by President Jonathan. At the time gas supply was insufficient. But now, thanks to the intervention by Mr. President, Nigeria now produces more gas than is required for domestic consumption.
•For more efficient power supply, the Jonathan administration has privatized the power distribution companies (DISCOs) under a most transparent bid process.
•Today, large parts of an unprecedented number of cities and towns across the country are enjoying between 14 to 16 hours of uninterrupted power supply, except in some few areas where localized problems of power distribution network have created bottlenecks for smooth transmission.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by bestpunterever: 1:40pm On May 25, 2017
gunners160:
Rhetorical question gat no answers and ill mannered people are best avoided so,I rest my case
just walk away.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by magoo10(m): 1:42pm On May 25, 2017
obailala:
Power capacity hits 6000mw as Jonathan commissions FCT substation
By Emeka Anuforo, Abuja | 12 May 2015 | 4:49 am
President Goodluck Jonathan
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan disclosed yesterday that the nation’s electricity generation capacity has increased to 6000MW just as he commissioned a 330/132/33kv transmission substation in Gwagwalada, Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
The substation, executed by the Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC) under the National Integrated Power Project (NIPP), is meant to boost the wheeling of generated power to FCT and environs.
Jonathan, who was represented by Vice President Namadi Sambo, also noted that the transmission infrastructure has increased to 5500mw, meaning that the nation is able to wheel much of the generated electricity, depending on the availability of gas.
According to him, the second phase of NIPPs through the hydropower plants would generate up to 4,000mw and step up wheeling capacity to 20,000mw. There are the large hyrdos and the 13 existing medium hydro dams, mostly in the northern part of the country.
The President also noted that his government had worked tirelessly to improve power in the country, stressing that posterity will judge his work positively. He noted that NIPP would soon enter its second phase, while assuring that the project would focus on the construction of hydropower plants, especially in the north.
Jonathan also spoke of efforts to diversify Nigeria’s energy sources in the power sector, stating: “We are confident that posterity will place us on the good side of history. All the projects undertaken under NIPP were professionally advised and executed in the interest of our great country.”
Of the FCT project, he noted: “Gwagwalada substation will evacuate power from 434mw Geregu II NIPP plant to the FCT through the 222.6kms 330kV double circuit line from Ajaokuta in Kogi State; there is a final 30km 330kV double circuit line terminating at the Shiroro (Niger State) and Katampe (Abuja) 330kV DC lines.
“Since the completion of these works, the FCT and indeed the national grid have experienced remarkable system stability, especially during system disturbances that have in the past resulted in total system collapse.”
Also speaking, the Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, stressed: “We are pleading with those vandalising our gas pipelines to give Nigeria a chance to enjoy what this administration has done. Today we have 6,000mw generation capacity, if there is gas, and we can evacuate up to 5,500mw.”
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by pokipoki: 1:46pm On May 25, 2017
I wonder why the cry is all about. Nigerians from day one lacked the technical expertise to run the power sector. From generation to distribution. The country would have partnered with the Chinese or South Africa (Eskom) for construction and proper integration of new and existing infrastructure.
Lack of foresight by our so called "leaders".
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by magoo10(m): 1:47pm On May 25, 2017
obailala:
after reading my last post you should bury your head in shame.
the hatred you guys have for jonathans knows no bound.
Next time before you quote me make sure you have been enlightened enough.
I don't just come to nairaland because am jobless ,I have been following the affairs of governance as a pupil,and any statement i make hear be rest assured i have my facts.
surely you have a very big problem defending this govt.
apshit has failed
apshit is a party of propaganda ,the earlier you accept that the better for you
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by pokipoki: 1:50pm On May 25, 2017
magoo10:

•The Goodluck Jonathan administration has improved the power generation from around 2000 megawatts to 4502 megawatts in December 2012 the highest since Nigeria returned to democratic rule in 1999.
•By July this year, power generation will hit 6,000 megawatts and by December this year it will hit 10,000 megawatts (assurance given last week by Minister of State for Power).
•All ten Power Plants under the National Integrated Power Projects (NIPP) scheme to be commissioned by the end of this year. At the moment, majority of them have reached 95 percent completion stage.
•Improved power supply has been boosted in part by the emergency declared in the Gas sector last year by President Jonathan. At the time gas supply was insufficient. But now, thanks to the intervention by Mr. President, Nigeria now produces more gas than is required for domestic consumption.
•For more efficient power supply, the Jonathan administration has privatized the power distribution companies (DISCOs) under a most transparent bid process.
•Today, large parts of an unprecedented number of cities and towns across the country are enjoying between 14 to 16 hours of uninterrupted power supply, except in some few areas where localized problems of power distribution network have created bottlenecks for smooth transmission.
Hahahaha. The new government cannot not even maintain 5100MW. What a bunch of clowns!!!!.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by obailala(m): 1:56pm On May 25, 2017
three:

This are the Daily Operational Reports for the 22nd May 2015 and 29th May 2015 from the Nigerian Electricity System Operator http://www.nsong.org/Library.aspx

In being as bold as to make your assertions you should at least have fact checked the news source and gone to the original source.

All I can say is, many thanks for providing a more appropriate link to further substantiate my point.

NESO reports the "Lowest Generation of 22/05/2015" as 1,331MW, the Premium Times link which I provided earlier stated it to be 1,327MW, an insignificant difference in reportage. But remember I was only trying to correct an erroneous claim by the other dude (magoo10) who claimed 4,000MW was handed over to APC who have failed to maintain the 'perfect' power system handed over to them.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/183496-nigerias-power-generation-at-all-time-low-crashes-to-1327mw.html

Examining the daily generation levels in that handover week, we had 2614MW (on 20th May), 1758MW (on 21st), 1331MW (on 22nd) and 1515MW (on handover day). This is the sort of erratic power supply someone claimed to be 4000MW. And guess what, even with your evidence provided, he still insists it was 4000MW (see his follow up post below). Dont know whether to laugh or cry for the kind of youths we have today even as we keep wondering why the old men have refused to leave leadership grin undecided cry

magoo10:

See you .
check your facts well ,jonathan left power output at 4000mega watt ,even APC can't deny it let alone you.

Tinubu le leyi
fashola le leyi
otumba le leyi
ndi oshi le leyi
lols

Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by magoo10(m): 1:57pm On May 25, 2017
pokipoki:

Hahahaha. The new government cannot not even maintain 5100MW. What a bunch of clowns!!!!.
My brother this was as at may12 before the clueless inefficient dullard took over and what do we have today? yet some whatever i call them come up here to spew rubbish.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by magoo10(m): 1:58pm On May 25, 2017
obailala:

All I can say is, many thanks for providing a more appropriate link to further substantiate my point.

NESO reports the "Lowest Generation of 22/05/2015" as 1,331MW, the Premium Times link which I provided earlier stated it to be 1,327MW, an insignificant difference in reportage. But remember I was only trying to correct an erroneous claim by the other dude (magoo10) who claimed 4,000MW was handed over to APC who have failed to maintain the 'perfect' power system handed over to them.

Examining the daily generation levels in that handover week, we had 2614MW (on 20th May), 1758MW (on 21st), 1331MW (on 22nd) and 1515MW (on handover day). This is the sort of erratic power supply someone claimed to be 4000MW. And guess what, even with your evidence provided, he still insists it was 4000MW (see his follow up post below). Dont know whether to laugh or cry for the kind of youths we have today even as we keep wondering why the old men have refused to leave leadership grin undecided cry

my friend go and sleep
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by reiddecuti: 1:58pm On May 25, 2017
Observing!!!!!!!

Naija, only country things are not taking serious.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by obailala(m): 2:14pm On May 25, 2017
magoo10:

magoo10:

Power capacity hits 6000mw as Jonathan commissions FCT substation
By Emeka Anuforo, Abuja | 12 May 2015 | 4:49 am
President Goodluck Jonathan
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan disclosed yesterday that the nation’s electricity generation capacity has increased to 6000MW just as he commissioned a 330/132/33kv transmission substation in Gwagwalada, Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
The substation, executed by the Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC) under the National Integrated Power Project (NIPP), is meant to boost the wheeling of generated power to FCT and environs.
Jonathan, who was represented by Vice President Namadi Sambo, also noted that the transmission infrastructure has increased to 5500mw, meaning that the nation is able to wheel much of the generated electricity, depending on the availability of gas.
According to him, the second phase of NIPPs through the hydropower plants would generate up to 4,000mw and step up wheeling capacity to 20,000mw. There are the large hyrdos and the 13 existing medium hydro dams, mostly in the northern part of the country.
The President also noted that his government had worked tirelessly to improve power in the country, stressing that posterity will judge his work positively. He noted that NIPP would soon enter its second phase, while assuring that the project would focus on the construction of hydropower plants, especially in the north.
Jonathan also spoke of efforts to diversify Nigeria’s energy sources in the power sector, stating: “We are confident that posterity will place us on the good side of history. All the projects undertaken under NIPP were professionally advised and executed in the interest of our great country.”
Of the FCT project, he noted: “Gwagwalada substation will evacuate power from 434mw Geregu II NIPP plant to the FCT through the 222.6kms 330kV double circuit line from Ajaokuta in Kogi State; there is a final 30km 330kV double circuit line terminating at the Shiroro (Niger State) and Katampe (Abuja) 330kV DC lines.
“Since the completion of these works, the FCT and indeed the national grid have experienced remarkable system stability, especially during system disturbances that have in the past resulted in total system collapse.”
Also speaking, the Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, stressed: “We are pleading with those vandalising our gas pipelines to give Nigeria a chance to enjoy what this administration has done. Today we have 6,000mw generation capacity, if there is gas, and we can evacuate up to 5,500mw.”
magoo10:

my friend go and sleep
Look at this young man littering my mentions with baseless political campaign jingles. What if I tell you the power ministry under Fashola has boosted Nigeria's power generation and transmission capacity to over 7000mw?... While that remains a FACT, power CAPACITY means nothing as long as the actual generation is still nonsense.

Highest power generation Nigeria ever attained prior to 2015 May 29th was 4517MW. Post May 29th, the peak power generation has gone beyond that to something above 5000MW (not sure of the exact figure), so quit spewing ignorance here... But then again, what exactly does it matter to hit a peak at a particular day and then relapse to nonsense figures for the rest of the time.

You claimed that GEJ/PDP handed over 4000MW to the current APC government, I proved to you that your claim was wrong, you should swallow your pride and go back to sleep.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by obailala(m): 2:18pm On May 25, 2017
pokipoki:

Below shows the record of Nigeria's power generation as at the last week of May 2015 just before the last government handed over. Now kindly tell me who's the real clown running around swallowing nonsense lies about 5100mw?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5381093_powergen_jpeg1c9f6029b22df1fe842d7c86b55cae51

Power jumping from 3000mw-1500mw-1330mw-1700mw within few days inside one week, and this sort of erratic rotten power system is what you claim to be 5100mw that couldn't be maintained?.... Who's really the gullible political propaganda swallowing clown here?
http://www.nsong.org/Library.aspx

1 Like

Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by magoo10(m): 2:22pm On May 25, 2017
obailala:
Look at this young man littering my mentions with baseless political campaign jingles. What if I tell you the power ministry under Fashola has boosted Nigeria's power generation and transmission capacity to over 7000mw?... While that remains a FACT, power CAPACITY means nothing as long as the actual generation is still nonsense.

Highest power generation Nigeria ever attained prior to 2015 May 29th was 4517MW. Post May 29th, the peak power generation has gone beyond that to something above 5000MW (not sure of the exact figure), so quit spewing ignorance here... But then again, what exactly does it matter to hit a peak at a particular day and then relapse to nonsense figures for the rest of the time.

You claimed that GEJ/PDP handed over 4000MW to the current APC government, I proved to you that your claim was wrong, you should swallow your pride and go back to sleep.
lols ,do you also want me to provide info on when it was 4000 mega watts? what is this one even saying. it kept on increasung
please i beg you go and sleep
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by reiddecuti: 2:26pm On May 25, 2017
banmee:

I wouldn't blame them for saying that. In fact i applaud them for it. What is the use of lying about this? Simple truth is Nigerians cannot maintain a university's toilet so how can they be trusted in running this simple but complex thing called electricity? Think about that.

The thing tire me o, even for my school (University) in Anambra, u no fit see a working toilet even the one for the so called ETF building is an eyesore.

As u can see Naija is fast degenerating and there's no hope, even those on power have no clue at all.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by obailala(m): 2:26pm On May 25, 2017
magoo10:

lols ,do you also want me to provide info on when it was 4000 mega watts? what is this one even saying. it kept on increasung
please i beg you go and sleep
If you claim power generation capacity was 4000mw, I dont give a damn about the 'capacity', what I care about is the actual generation figure. If we want to start talking about 'capacity', then APC can as-well brag that they've attained up to 5075mw generation capacity and increasing.

But since you insist generation was 4000mw as at the time PDP handed over, kindly show us your evidence. I've presented several links to prove my own point.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by magoo10(m): 2:33pm On May 25, 2017
obailala:
If you claim power generation capacity was 4000mw, I dont give a damn about the 'capacity', what I care about is the actual generation figure. If we want to start talking about 'capacity', then APC can as-well brag that they've attained up to 5075mw generation capacity and increasing.

But since you insist generation was 4000mw as at the time PDP handed over, kindly show us your evidence. I've presented several links to prove my own point.
lols funny man,am happy some of you are beginning to be educated because most of you have been blinded by your hatred for Jonathan that you say he didn't work anything.
please go to bed now it is early
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by magoo10(m): 2:35pm On May 25, 2017
obailala:

do you think I did not see the info of 6000 mega watts before sending it to you. that was the latest info on the power grid same month apshit in conjunction with the dullard was sworn in .deal with it
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by obailala(m): 2:43pm On May 25, 2017
magoo10:

lols funny man,am happy some of you are beginning to be educated because most of you have been blinded by your hatred for Jonathan that you say he didn't work anything.
please go to bed now it is early
You've not still answered any of my questions. Stop beating about the bush, provide the evidence that Nigeria was generating 4000mw before handover to the new govt.

And then again, I don't hate GEJ, I have absolutely no issues with Jonathan. I only hate seeing when his supporters like yourself, out of 'election-loss-trauma' driven hatred for Buhari/APC, begin to conjure some phantom achievements for PDP/GEJ and sometime I just can't help but wonder whether you feel everyone else was blind when GEJ was ruling Nigeria. Incidentally, that is all I do here on Nairaland, deflate the nonsense lies which you people keep telling yourselves and the unsuspecting uninformed public about how GEJ made Nigeria El Dorado before APC/Buhari came in and crumbled everything.

SO once again I beg of you, show me the evidence you claim to have of where Nigeria was generating 4000mw before APshit came in and spoilt the perfect power system overnight.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by magoo10(m): 2:47pm On May 25, 2017
obailala:
You've not still answered any of my questions. Stop beating about the bush, provide the evidence that Nigeria was generating 4000mw before handover to the new govt.

And then again, I don't hate GEJ, I have absolutely no issues with Jonathan. I only hate seeing when his supporters like yourself, out of 'election-loss-trauma' driven hatred for Buhari/APC, begin to conjure some phantom achievements for PDP/GEJ and sometime I just can't help but wonder whether you feel everyone else was blind when GEJ was ruling Nigeria. Incidentally, that is all I do here on Nairaland, deflate the nonsense lies which you people keep telling yourselves and the unsuspecting uninformed public about how GEJ made Nigeria El Dorado before APC/Buhari came in and crumbled everything.

SO once again I beg of you, show me the evidence you claim to have of where Nigeria was generating 4000mw before APshit came in and spoilt the perfect power system overnight.
election loss trauma my foot
you people and lai Mohammed that have been blaming Jonathan ,which trauma are you suffering from.
Election Win trauma?
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by magoo10(m): 2:49pm On May 25, 2017
obailala:

Tinubu le leyi
fashola le leyi
obailala le leyi
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by obailala(m): 2:55pm On May 25, 2017
magoo10:

Tinubu le leyi
fashola le leyi
obailala le leyi
magoo10:

election loss trauma my foot
you people and lai Mohammed that have been blaming Jonathan ,which trauma are you suffering from.
Election Win trauma?
Go back and answer my freaking questions or you can run-off and wallow.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by magoo10(m): 2:57pm On May 25, 2017
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by magoo10(m): 2:59pm On May 25, 2017
obailala:
Go back and answer my freaking questions or you can run-off and wallow.
hahahahahahahahhahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaah
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by kjhova(m): 3:11pm On May 25, 2017
elyte89:
I shouted up Nepa during late 80's and I am so sure my Kids too will exp d same scenerio,take a gud look at our neighbouring countries,like Ghana,Benin rep,Togo,burkina Faso etc are eida on constant/steady power supply of 16hrs daily(a case study SENEGAL)
Is dt here in Nigeria,we re so daft dt we can't generate electricity to sustain us b4 thinking of selling outside 1st or we lack competency in d aspect of power generation,abi na ba leader,cos I can't just phantom it again
If we look at d Fortune spent on dis power sector alone,right from 1999-present date,i am so sure it will b enough to generate substantial power from d scratch cos ever since 1983,we av been rovering ard 2000MW-4500MW
Abi,shld we employ/beg d ppu at d helms of affair when nigeria was at 0MW,and build d power to 4,500MW,we re still using up till date,cos those at d helms of affair from 1999_till date re not adding anytin meaningful to our power sector rada they are only maintaining/worsening what deir predecessors left in the power sector

I have read a few comments on this post up to page 3 and sad to say that it is obvious that most Nigerians are ignorant about how things work and what is required to acheive the desired results. Permit me to quote you as a focal point to chip in some fair knowledge on what the issue is with our power sector.

Nigeria's "installed" generating capacity is about 4,500MW (consisting of gas fired and hydro stations only). This structure was unbundled and and sold to 6 new "private firms" who were supposed to invest heavily into upgrading our national capacity from this miserly figure to about 25,000MW to attain some stability threshold from wheich we were to move into a perfect market setting. When MYTO 1 kicked into play in 2008, the GENCOs were forecasted to require an estimated $8.2B over 10 years to acheive the threshold. That is N1.3Trillion (in 2008 CBN FX rate of N160/$) which has now jumped up to N2.58Trillion (at current FX rate of N315/$).

In reality, It is almost 10 years from then and not one watt of electricity has been added to the existing capacity by any of the GENCOs. Not one project is on-going or even at planning stage by any of these GENCOs! Truth is, the entities that the FG sold our electricity assets to back then clearly lacked the financial, technical and expirential capacity to handle the scope of job that the government envisaged.

This is not an APC or PDP thing in anyway whatsoever. Not everything in Nigeria ought to be slaughtered on the altar of petty politicking. The fact is that the privatisation which was done by the Jonathan administration was flawed and is now at its wits end. This current administration must decide on what it wants to do and act fast or else Nigeria will be lost for good.

Can we find a way to cancel the whole process and collect these assets back from the so-called private companies? can we raise the funds to pay them off the penalty charges or find loopholes in the sales contracts to invalidate the sales on grounds of poor performance? If we do this, is there still enough confidence in Nigeria by the international business community for viable and more serious players to bid for our electricity assets?

These are the critical matters to deliberate on and not the petty arguments of party loyalty.

BTW, the main reason why I quoted you was to correct your impression about electricity supply in Ghana, Senegal, Benin or Burkina faso being superb. Things are equally deplorable in these countries as indeed most of Africa is on her knees and crippled due to the daunting energy crisis. Ghanaians consume 270kWh of electricity per capita and only 60% of the country is even connected to the grid. Burkina faso is even worse as less than 12% of the entire country is connected. Outisde Ouaggadougo and Boubou Dioulasou, hardly anywhere else is connected in that country. as miserable as Nigeria's lot is, our generation capacity of 4,500MW is number two in sub-Saharan Africa after South Africa's 49,800MW capacity!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by salesforce: 3:24pm On May 25, 2017
Ha
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by pokipoki: 3:55pm On May 25, 2017
obailala:

Below shows the record of Nigeria's power generation as at the last week of May 2015 just before the last government handed over. Now kindly tell me who's the real clown running around swallowing nonsense lies about 5100mw?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5381093_powergen_jpeg1c9f6029b22df1fe842d7c86b55cae51

Power jumping from 3000mw-1500mw-1330mw-1700mw within few days inside one week, and this sort of erratic rotten power system is what you claim to be 5100mw that couldn't be maintained?.... Who's really the gullible political propaganda swallowing clown here?
http://www.nsong.org/Library.aspx
You can do better by providing us with the annual report spanning for the last 4 years so that we have idea of the power generation rather than providing us with "selected days" operational report. That makes more sense.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by slap1(m): 4:02pm On May 25, 2017
How come? Something that is not rocket science.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate by Pesuzok(m): 4:09pm On May 25, 2017
Reference:

And what is wrong with bringing the likes of EDF, Gazprom into the picture. I'm sure the present GENCOS will welcome that. Government can help to facilitate business the way an gynaecologist can stimulate pregnancy by bringing the sperm and egg together without violating the natural course of birth, i.e. existing contractual obligations. Afterall when did Etisalat join the big 4 and if memory serves me right a certain ECONET started the GSM journey in day 1. Things happen.

But like I've said before, it is the structure of the privatisation that was faulty and I believe that keeps investors, competitors, financiers and the likes out. Now listen. We should not have broken PHCN laterally into generation, transmission and distribution. It is not done that way in serious countries. Ask how the likes of EDF operate. They operate top down. That is the generate, transmitt and distribute to specific sectors. It is like asking MTN to own the satellites and up links, Glo the submarine cables, Etisalat the transmission towers and Airtel the switch boards and then expect them to invest and generate revenue. The system will be a mess. Calls will hardly ever come through and the blame game will be aplenty.

My take is this. Political expediency created a scenario where the whole country will be covered by power services at once. They wanted to avoid a situation where no investor will pick up assets in economically disadvantaged locations (you know them). Remember what happened in the GSM rollout. The private sector will eat the meat first and then take years to finish the bone. But thus is the right way investors think. No one will see Lagos and put money in Zamfara or Abakaliki first. They wanted to create a level service field from the get go and had no option that to break PHCN laterally. Politically right, economically disastrous.

What they should do now is to correct this anomaly by encouraging mergers across the three sectors so that one single entity generates power, tranmitts it to the place of optimum consumption and collect the dues directly so no one owes no one and no one rejects the services of no one. And the government should hands off transmission. They should not determine where power goes. If they want to 'feed the poor' they should incentify. Let the competition be top down and see how massive investment will begin to poor in. Which bank will give loan to a company that it cannot monitor let alone collect revenues on its behalf. There is no business trust within the system caused by the unwieldy, inefficient nature of its structure.

You are making a lot of sense, this is the kind of post we need on the first page of these this, not those of political jobbers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'nigerians Killing One Another In South Africa' - Ibeto / Agboola: INEC Gave Me Certificate Of Return But Speaker Refused To Swear Me In / Governors Seeking State Police, Restructuring Now 23

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.