Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,855 members, 7,802,740 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

Learning Igbo? Let's Band Together! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Learning Igbo? Let's Band Together! (1181 Views)

Learning African Languages / Igbo learning thread + Translator / Learning Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learning Igbo? Let's Band Together! by Nkeon: 3:19pm On Jan 15, 2010
Nno! (Welcome)

This probably belongs to education but I thought it'd be more visible here!

I've just started to learn Igbo seriously and I thought I'd start a support thread for anyone else in the same position.

We can update each other on our progress and of course we can practice our Igbo on each other (please make sure you translate when doing this so that people can learn. And please specify the dialect you are learning/using as well so that people can clarify any differences).

Share any stories you have of practising your Igbo and feel to rant about any difficulties you are experiencing; you may find some advice.

Igbo speakers, please feel free to share any advice and tips you have. And please make sure any criticism is constructive as I'm sure anyone that joins this thread would appreciate any correction that is done in earnest wink

I find that when you are trying to learn something new it's encouraging to communicate with people in the same situation and it can help with motivation!

So please anyone that has any negative attitudes or finds it amusing do yourselves and simply avoid this thread. wink

I'll start off,

Last night (when my mum and I officially agreed to start serious lessons) she told me 'Kwuche ite' = 'close the pot'.
She's from Enugu and my dad (and I) is from Anambra.

As well as going through different topics I also want her to speak to me in Igbo and I'm compiling a dictionary in my notebook.
Re: Learning Igbo? Let's Band Together! by ChinenyeN(m): 3:49pm On Jan 15, 2010
Just out of curiosity, Nkeon, how did you learn to write Igbo?
Re: Learning Igbo? Let's Band Together! by Nkeon: 4:07pm On Jan 15, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Just out of curiosity, Nkeon, how did you learn to write Igbo?

I'm getting my mum to spell out what she teaches me. Is it any good?

I hope you'll contribute to this thread ChinenyeN, as I've seen you offer good advice on other threads!
Re: Learning Igbo? Let's Band Together! by ChinenyeN(m): 4:29pm On Jan 15, 2010
Oh okay. Yeah, its good. I was impressed. Sure, I don't mind contributing. I'd be glad to take part in the Igbo Renaissance.
Re: Learning Igbo? Let's Band Together! by ifyalways(f): 4:32pm On Jan 16, 2010
Ije oma=safe journey.
Imela,Dalu=Thank you.
otu=1
abuo=2
ato=3
ano=4
ise=5
isii=6
asaa=7
asato=8
*itenani/Iteghete/Itoolu=9
Iri=10
* . . .depends on dialect.
tata/taa=today
echi=morrow
Unyahu=yesterday.
Mmuo=Spirit.
Ikomi bu onye apari=Ikomi is a joker angry
asampete=pretty gurl.
Re: Learning Igbo? Let's Band Together! by fingard02k(m): 4:12pm On Jan 18, 2010
@Nkeon and dear others here www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-260225.0.html is where i started this kind of thread.lets join hands and upgrade and update it.

(1) (Reply)

Edo Are 99% Theives, Sorry To Say / Moment Benin Traditional Council Broke Native Chalk 2 Announce Death Of Oba(pic / Women Beware Of "Oloolu" Week A Fearful Masquerade In Ibadan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.