Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,914 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

Common Errros In English - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Errros In English (435 Views)

21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. / If You Want An A In English WAEC Get In Here (no Cheating) / 8 Common Academic Related Slangs In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Common Errros In English by engrMikemd(m): 6:29pm On May 25, 2017
Adverbials
Adverbials include one-word adverbs (e.g. now, there, away, slowly), prepositional phrases (on Tuesday, at home, to the farm, etc); clauses (before you arrive, if he comes, etc); noun phrases (last week, last year, etc), and other types. They can classified into adverbials of time, place, manner, degree, etc. They usually 'modify' a verb, but some adverbials can play other modifying roles. Altogether adverbials are a very mixed group.

Manner Adverbs
A very large number of adverbs, including most adverbs of manner, are formed by adding -ly to and adjective. This is not possible if the adjective already ends in -ly, to form an adverb, for example:
Fast
Wrong: She ran fastly because the train was coming.
Correct: She ran fast because the train was coming.

Time Adverbs
After wrongly used
Wrong: The doctor is busy at present. Come again after.
Correct: The doctor is busy at present. Come again later.
'After' should not be used by itself as an adverb of time.

As of now
Wrong: As at now Musa is trying to build a house.
Correct: AS of now Musa is trying to build a house.

Before
wrongly used
Wrong: I last visited the zoo before three years
Wrong: I last visited the zoo three years before.
Correct: I last visited the zoo three years ago.

When used as a preposition of time, 'before' means 'earlier than . . .':
There were powerful states in Africa before the coming of the Europeans.

'Before' can also be used as an adverb, usually coming at the end of a clause or a sentence, and meaning 'earlier than this':
I have never set eyes on him before.

But 'ago' is the right word meaning 'at such-and-such a point in time before the present'.

(1) (Reply)

Letterland Academy - Quality Education Assured / 2 Futarians Drown In A River / Jamb 2017 Results For 1st July Candidates Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.