Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,410 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? - Investment (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? (44327 Views)

Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? / Mutual Money Market Funds Vs Fixed Deposit Which Pays Better???? / Mutual Funds Vs Fixed Deposit Vs Swiss Golden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by Nobody: 9:49pm On May 27, 2017
Okay T.bills seems to be the better investment; but how exactly do you monitor treasury bills?

Is it a kind of passive investment or do you monitor it like the stock market?

Thanks in advance...
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by Nobody: 9:51pm On May 27, 2017
narrowpathy:

I knew I'd see you on this tread

Hehehehehe wink

1 Like

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by ArabPrinze: 9:58pm On May 27, 2017
Yazmin:

You are right.

13.9% of N10,000,000

For a 91day tenored bill is about N346,000(plus or minus).

Mind you 13% is the annual rate which should be discounted for 91 days to get the effective rate.

My field....
i don't understand, so if I am investing 1000000 for 90 days ,how much would I expect back
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by Nobody: 10:04pm On May 27, 2017
Treasury bills please. If you have idle funds, even more better for you to invest in mutual funds.
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by Iamzik: 10:11pm On May 27, 2017
blank:

The greater the risks the greater the returns. Are you a risk taker? cool

Yes, I take calculated risks. An out-of-this-World interest rate that puts my capital in jeopardy is a NO NO.
I love my capital more than the interest I'm yet to earn.

2 Likes

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by DrUche3(m): 10:15pm On May 27, 2017
Investnow2017:
Please I would like your candid opinion on this. Which will yield more in the medium term. Fixed deposit or Treasury Bills?
I'll like to speak with you in private... here is my email
doctoruche3@gmail.com
Better still, drop yours and I'll get back to u...
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by DrUche3(m): 10:27pm On May 27, 2017
do4luv14:

how can one invest in treasury bill, where can one see to invest in Dem,, can one starts small, and increase later
If you really want to invest contact me
doctoruche3@gmail.com
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by do4luv14(m): 10:29pm On May 27, 2017
DrUche3:

If you really want to invest contact me
doctoruche3@gmail.com

ok will keep in mind
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by DrUche3(m): 10:32pm On May 27, 2017
prinsam30:

I'm not really into all these financial brouhaha but after seeing this I think I need to check out this treasury bills, it's like it pays.

currently I'm banking with Gtbank, Access, FCMB, FirstBank and UBA, Pls which of these banks is more reliable thanks in a million
I like your spirit boss!
Let's talk...
doctoruche3@gmail

1 Like

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by Mbediogu(m): 10:35pm On May 27, 2017
Carmal90:

Ur calculation is wrong 400k can never be 13% of 10 million now

13 percent is per annum, not per 90 days pls. You have to multiply your result by 0.25
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by martooski(m): 10:48pm On May 27, 2017
Built2last:

The best rate any Nigerian bank will give you on fixed deposit is 12% and that's if you are bringing up to 50million.

Go for treasury bill

We offer more than that... call 08174599849 or mail info@stmfb.com
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by policy12: 11:04pm On May 27, 2017
jamesbridget13:
can u imagine! Na only them like better thing

Not really, the main reason is that when a customer book for Tbills the money is moped to the head office and it will no longer be in the BO CABA. So some how they are loosing the money to their head office unlike the fixed deposit that reflect at the BO CABA.

2 Likes

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by davide470(m): 11:06pm On May 27, 2017
JohnXcel:
Okay T.bills seems to be the better investment; but how exactly do you monitor treasury bills?

Is it a kind of passive investment or do you monitor it like the stock market?

Thanks in advance...
You can monitor the price on the secondary market, but there is no point though. Fluctuation in prices does not affect your initial deposit or rates given. You get exactly what was given to you at the time you should get it.

2 Likes

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by policy12: 11:08pm On May 27, 2017
prinsam30:

I'm not really into all these financial brouhaha but after seeing this I think I need to check out this treasury bills, it's like it pays.

currently I'm banking with Gtbank, Access, FCMB, FirstBank and UBA, Pls which of these banks is more reliable thanks in a million

UBA from experience, they are good.

2 Likes

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by Nobody: 11:15pm On May 27, 2017
DrUche3:

I like your spirit boss!
Let's talk...
doctoruche3@gmail

Where people of good interest gather, bad eggs will always find a way to come in.

1 Like

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by gotousa2013: 11:19pm On May 27, 2017
Adiwana:

Elementary simple interest formula of
A = P(1 + rt)
so investing N10M,Gives you
r = R/100 = 13.9%/100 = 0.139 per year,
3 months ÷ 12 months/year = 0.25 years,
The total amount accrued, principal plus interest,

A = 10000000(1 + (0.139 × 0.25)) = 10347500
from simple interest on a principal of N 10,000,000.00
at a rate of 13.9% per year
for 0.25 years (3 months) is N 10,347,500.00.
N 10,347,500.00-1000000=N347500

sorry for the long maths

Thanks I love this breakdown. It killed it. Gbam

2 Likes

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by lilreese: 11:22pm On May 27, 2017
investing ideas
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by DrUche3(m): 11:30pm On May 27, 2017
Exectine:

Where people of good interest gather, bad eggs will always find a way to come in.
You're wrong sir!
I will prove that a thousand times if given the opportunity... I'm a core investor and I certainly do understand what it means to invest so, "never crucify a man until you hear from him!"
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by Nobody: 11:50pm On May 27, 2017
DrUche3:

You're wrong sir!
I will prove that a thousand times if given the opportunity... I'm a core investor and I certainly do understand what it means to invest so, "never crucify a man until you hear from him!"

If you are truly sincere, y go private on something that ought to benefit the public and site visitors?

4 Likes

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by Nobody: 12:40am On May 28, 2017
My question is... What if you made bid which eventually was higher than the CBN stop rate?
2: is this bidding rate agreement different from derivatives? Since changes in rate won't affect your initial investment rate!

Want to learn.
Cc feelamong
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by Nobody: 1:32am On May 28, 2017
davide470:
You can monitor the price on the secondary market, but there is no point though. Fluctuation in prices does not affect your initial deposit or rates given. You get exactly what was given to you at the time you should get it.
Thank you for explaining.
I have two questions:
(I) What's the difference BTW the primary and secondary market? undecided
(II) What factors cause fluctuations in prices?
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by CloudResident(m): 4:54am On May 28, 2017
*Treasury bills VS Fixed deposit

1. TB Interest is payable same day you invest while FD is at maturity.

2. In TB you don't pay withholding tax on your interest while FD takes10% withholding tax.

3. TB Rate is largely dependent on amount in circulation,through bidding,i. e if govt wants to mop up Naira In the system,a higher rate and can go as high as18% while FD depends on your negotiation with your bank but within CBN rate guides which is presently 14%

4. In TB you CANNOT at any point before maturity request for your investment partly or total while FD can be terminated prematurely or partly even after a day! You only get charged 25% of the accrued interest till that particular date.

5. TB is guaranteed as long as the country existed cos it's backed by FG while FD may go down with a bank if it is distressed.

6. TB is strictly 91,182 or 364 days tenure while FD is more flexible, you state your own days.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by CzarChris(m): 5:38am On May 28, 2017
Interesting, just learnt something today. I am good at math, but I seriously hate all these financial calculations, especially economics. It just annoying angry

1 Like

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by tundechange: 5:47am On May 28, 2017
CloudResident:
*Treasury bills VS Fixed deposit

1. TB Interest is payable same day you invest while FD is at maturity.

2. In TB you don't pay withholding tax on your interest while FD takes10% withholding tax.

3. TB Rate is largely dependent on amount in circulation,through bidding,i. e if govt wants to mop up Naira In the system,a higher rate and can go as high as18% while FD depends on your negotiation with your bank but within CBN rate guides which is presently 14%

4. In TB you CANNOT at any point before maturity request for your investment partly or total while FD can be terminated prematurely or partly even after a day! You only get charged 25% of the accrued interest till that particular date.

5. TB is guaranteed as long as the country existed cos it's backed by FG while FD may go down with a bank if it is distressed.

6. TB is strictly 91,182 or 364 days tenure while FD is more flexible, you state your own days.

Nice on bro but here is a little addendum :

1. Interest on FD can also be paid upfront just as Tbills. But d rate might be a bit lower than that of back-end (at maturity)

3. Rate on FD is subject to MPR but not limited to it. Banks do offer much more than 14 on bigger volume. D rate at which banks create risk assets (loans) also determine the rate they raise liabilities (deposits). I. E. If Bank A can create risk asset at 30%, it should be able to raise liabilities at 20% and make 10% margin.

4. You can also preterminate your TB investments, it is called rediscounting. U may suffer loss on it depending on the rediscounting rate. Also, charges on premature termination of FD vary from Bank to Bank. Some Banks charge as low as 10%.

Regards

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by Kingcesar: 7:26am On May 28, 2017
Wats the lowest amount of money one can use in that Tbill. Fixed deposit is almost like saving account in terms of interest becoz the long way they calculate the interest will jst finish the money and they dont do the normal mmm style of calculating interest

1 Like

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by einsteine(m): 8:01am On May 28, 2017
Treasury bills are better investments than bank deposits. You won't pay capital gains tax and your investment is guaranteed by the government. Also, in Nigeria, Treasury bill rates are higher than time deposit rates (which shouldn't be the case). So, it's a no brainer: pick Treasury bills ahead of fixed deposits.
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by davide470(m): 8:38am On May 28, 2017
JohnXcel:
Thank you for explaining.
I have two questions:
(I) What's the difference BTW the primary and secondary market? undecided
(II) What factors cause fluctuations in prices?
1. Primary market, in this case is the auction done forthnightly by the CBN, and at the end of the auction, you get your bid rate and calculate how much you will receive.

Secondary market is basically for traders, fixed income dealers and most of them do proprietary trading (trading for their firm/bank)

2. Well, factors like: Interest rate, inflation rate, CBN coming up with a policy, the state of the stock market and other macro-economic factors.

2 Likes

Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by wadetaw202: 10:16am On May 28, 2017
jamesbridget13:
I love to investors

Yeah. It is good to love to investors undecided
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by bukitt: 11:05am On May 28, 2017
smiley
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by JustK: 11:11am On May 28, 2017

Dats not totally true. I av T-bills with first bank and i av terminated some prematurely a couple of times.
The issue is it will b rediscounted and a part of your capital might be taken- depending on d period you are terminating it though.
Its always advisable to terminate only at maturity sha.
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by bukitt: 11:30am On May 28, 2017
smiley
Re: Fixed Deposit Vs Treasury Bills: Which Pays Better? by Stanleyafam(m): 12:37pm On May 28, 2017
Just use only 1million naira and buy a good cryptocurrency and leave for one year... Thank me later

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

New Cryptocurrency For 2017 To Become A Millionaire / HOW To REGISTER A HOLDING COMPANY In NIGERIA / Election Result: Nigerian Stock Market Loses N85 Billion In 6 Hours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.