Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. (22503 Views)

How I Survived My 35 Years In The Oil Industry / Is This True About People Working In Lagos? / Vulcanizer Dies After Tyre Explodes While Working In His Workshop.Graphic Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 1:30pm On Jul 02, 2017
Sleyanya1:

That'll be awesome, but the financial means to attain such honestly are still very much far fetched sha.
Thanks for the advice.
Bless you
There are numbers of scholarship you can avail yourself of if you intend doing postgraduate studies overseas.

Most of these scholarships are hinged on Second Class Upper division- 2'1, except NDDC - Niger Delta Development Commission that accepts 2'2.

Some of the foreign postgraduate scholarship you can apply to include:

PTDF, Agip, Shell, Exxonmobil, TOTAL E&P, BEA, Commonwealth, Erasmus, MEXT, MASDA et al.
Most of the aforementioned scholarships take place annually.

Germany and Norway are also tuition free for international students. All you need to have is money for your upkeep.

Goodluck.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by trilobite: 3:03pm On Jul 02, 2017
niyogeol:
There are numbers of scholarship you can avail yourself of if you intend doing postgraduate studies overseas.

Most of these scholarships are hinged on Second Class Upper division- 2'1, except NDDC - Niger Delta Development Commission that accepts 2'2.

PTDF, Agip, Shell, Exxonmobil, TOTAL E&P, BEA, Commonwealth, Erasmus, MEXT, MASDA et al.

Germany and Norway are also tuition free for international students. All you need to have is money for your upkeep.

Goodluck.

Oga niyo!! been following you since. God will bless you tremendously.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 4:54pm On Jul 02, 2017
trilobite:

Oga niyo!! been following you since. God will bless you tremendously.
Thanks man. I remember trilobite in Micropaleontology.

Hope you doing good?
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by NyemzyHimself: 5:06pm On Jul 02, 2017
Hahahaha, God+ Hardwork. I found this helpful
Job Tips for People working in Companies
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Sleyanya1(m): 6:10pm On Jul 02, 2017
niyogeol:

Goodluck.

Wow, thank you so much.
I'm very grateful for this vital pointers.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by trilobite: 7:26am On Jul 03, 2017
niyogeol:
Thanks man. I remember trilobite in Micropaleontology.

Hope you doing good?

we thank God. Getting ready for October. thanks for your contribution in that thread by the way.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 9:38am On Jul 03, 2017
trilobite:

we thank God. Getting ready for October. thanks for your contribution in that thread by the way.
Feel free to seek my assistance if the need arise, in October.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by prolific1(m): 11:06am On Jul 03, 2017
damayor001:
Sometimes i wonder why people keep saying geology is lucrative, the truth is not far fetched because is very difficult to see yourself in any of the oil sector, as for me am a geoscientist B.tech Geology. I decided to go into mineral consultancy.. now am doing great with it.. i think is better we start small, even if it means carrying terrameter for someone..
hi, mineral consultancy, how can I contact you to know about it, this is my personal email: ambkola@gmail.com thanks
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jul 04, 2017
Sleyanya1:

Wow, thank you so much.
I'm very grateful for this vital pointers.

DAAD - Germany, NZDS- New Zealand

1 Like

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by cris83: 3:50pm On Jul 14, 2017
Please ooh. What is happening in October? Do not leave this Petroleum Geoscientist /Geologist behind. I don't know if I have the flair to go back to school for PhD since I obtained my msc in 2014. Even after getting that degree, I'm still jobless. Smh! This nation is a dream killer!
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 7:14pm On Jul 19, 2017
Hello all,

For those with foreign MSc/PhD in Petroleum Geology/Geoscience, Statoil ASA currently have opening for Graduate Geologists.

https://careers.peopleclick.eu.com/careerscp/client_statoil/external/en_US/jobDetails.do?functionName=getJobDetail&jobPostId=13447&localeCode=en-us
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by trilobite: 9:18pm On Jul 19, 2017
niyogeol:
Hello all,

For those with foreign MSc/PhD in Petroleum Geology/Geoscience, Statoil ASA currently have opening for Graduate Geologists.

https://careers.peopleclick.eu.com/careerscp/client_statoil/external/en_US/jobDetails.do?functionName=getJobDetail&jobPostId=13447&localeCode=en-us

Wow!! so they're still recruiting there?. Despite all the negative geoscience job reports, the future still shines bright.

God bless your efforts sir.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by michaelella: 9:03pm On Aug 05, 2017
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Omobarca: 9:24pm On Aug 05, 2017
michaelella:

Please I'll like to find out a few things about your admission privately
P
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by michaelella: 10:18pm On Aug 05, 2017
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Icon4s(m): 10:39pm On Aug 05, 2017
GeoOla25:
i have gained a lot from this thread, i recently got an admission offer to University of Liverpool to Study M.sc petroleum reservoir Geoscience , i am still working on funding out-looking for scholarships, i need incite on how to go about this, i want to know if this course is really lucrative in the oil industry or i should go for a course in Geophysics.
cc: ojaP
cc: Icon4s

Petroleum reservoir Geoscience is a good discipline. What ever Geosciences course you study (excluding hard rocks) is needed in the oil industry.

What you should focus more now is on how to get the funding. I cannot advice you on issue of funding here because there are a million and one ways you can get funds for a project of this nature.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Icon4s(m): 10:47pm On Aug 05, 2017
michaelella:
Good day gabbros an obsidians! I'm really pleased to have come across this forum, and I've carefully read each comment and reply.

I graduated with a B.Sc. in Geology (2:1) from University of Calabar. Right from my 100 level I've been very passionate about geology, to the extent that despite reading about all the challenges and difficulties coupled with the little I've experienced, I do not regret reading geology because I can't think of any course that would have made me love academics this much. I'm also a beneficiary of the NNPC/Chevron scholarship.
I'm very goal oriented and self motivated, trying not to give room for discouragements career wise because like I tell myself there's also a frustrated engineer, lawyer, and even a doctor somewhere, but it's DAMN tough not to be discouraged at some point and just go full time into business.

I'm 22 years of age, and I wouldn't say I've seen disappointments like real disappointments relating to this geology as a career but I think I've had a taste. I'm currently serving in Ogun (Ota) state (Batch A 2017, Stream 1). It all started when I got posted to Ogun, I needed a PPA at Sango Ota because I stay at Lagos, brothers and sisters I combed the whole local government including the industrial estate with no hope. The three major replies I get are:
1. We need people who studied engineering (Whenever I heard this, I wish they rather told me just go I don't like your face)
2. You have to know someone at the top to give you are recommendation (this almost killed my zeal to check keep going to copanies, but I'll keep on trying so far transport dey)
3. "Who do you want to see" by the gate-man, and if you don't know anyone, you may as well get lost already

I've finally gotten myself at a PPA where I go just twice a week (I spend the two days reading my sedimentology, stratigraphy and geophysics textbooks cause of idleness), and with the understanding of my boss, if I get an job or an internship I could come just once a week. This gives me 3 to 4 working days to add value to my life. I included this cause I believe I can still get help from someone in this forum.

I'm currently searching for an internship or any form of job related to geology just to gain experience or as a last option a job of any kind so I can saffe up money to write the IELTS exam. I've even gone begged to companies to take me as a volunteer worker, with no pay or stipend of any kind yet still, they bluntly refused saying there's no space for that.

Not withstanding, I'm still looking at the positive side. I'm also thinking critically about my future regarding M.Sc. which I would like to pursue immediately after my NSC God willing. I have 3 choices (Petroleum Geoscience, Applied Geophysics and Environmental Geology/Engineering which I'll expantiate on to enable everyone here to offer advice.

1. Petroleum Geoscience: Yes, it's lucrative, but if you were to look at my area of strength an pick a course for me you'll pick same. I find myself doing very well in courses like Stratigraphy, Sedimentology, Petroleum Geology, Applied Geophysics, Economic geology etc (if I don't get an A, it's a B). I'm naturally interested in this course, maybe the fact that it's lucrative makes it easier for me to understand.
Most times I try to think of a case where there would be shortage of petroleum geoscientist since many people are talked out of streamlining their careers to study pet geo. Remember that, despite the oil troubles companies are still searching for reserves using advanced technologies.

2. Applied Geophysics: This is like the safest option, because not only can you work in the oil industry, but also in other aspects like solid mineral exploration etc. You can even run your own company and search for contracts. BUT I love to be realistic, I have a B.Sc in geology, not geophysics, maths, engineering or physics. Schooling in Nigeria is bad enough, I don't trust my maths and physics so well, I last offerred Advanced Maths in 200L which I passed with strive. I have doubts that I'll be able to cope well if I go outside the country to study Geophysics. Even if I somehow struggle to pull through, this world is too competitive to travel out to study only to be average in what you do, you must excel in your chosen field). I've read forums which say it's easier for a engineer or mathematician to study for an M.Sc. in Geophysics than a geologist. Otherwise, I'll Take this option over Petroleum Geoscience.

3. Environmental Geology/Engineering: Everyone talks about how important environmental geology is and is becoming. Yes, but looking at it critically, are the positions for an environmental geologist not also limited? How many will an oil company employ? How many will other companies and federal ministries employ? Also, looking at the future, I see a situation where environmentalist would be far higher than the available jobs, like very high, can't predict how soon though.

Everyone should please feel free to let me know if I'm wrong, it may help another person too.

Also, @GeoOla25 please I'll like to know how you went about applying to university of Liverpool. I know some routines, but there are some little details I'll love to ask you privately.

Rather than spending time reading your stratigraphy, sedimentology and Geophysics text books why not read GMAT, GRE and SHL aptitude test questions,
Your physics and mathematics texts books too should be at your bed side.

Know this now and thank me later.

1 Like

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by michaelella: 10:50pm On Aug 05, 2017
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by michaelella: 11:02pm On Aug 05, 2017
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by GeoOla25(m): 4:34pm On Aug 06, 2017
michaelella:
Good day gabbros an obsidians! I'm really pleased to have come across this forum, and I've carefully read each comment and reply.

I graduated with a B.Sc. in Geology (2:1) from University of Calabar. Right from my 100 level I've been very passionate about geology, to the extent that despite reading about all the challenges and difficulties coupled with the little I've experienced, I do not regret reading geology because I can't think of any course that would have made me love academics this much. I'm also a beneficiary of the NNPC/Chevron scholarship.
I'm very goal oriented and self motivated, trying not to give room for discouragements career wise because like I tell myself there's also a frustrated engineer, lawyer, and even a doctor somewhere, but it's DAMN tough not to be discouraged at some point and just go full time into business.

I'm 22 years of age, and I wouldn't say I've seen disappointments like real disappointments relating to this geology as a career but I think I've had a taste. I'm currently serving in Ogun (Ota) state (Batch A 2017, Stream 1). It all started when I got posted to Ogun, I needed a PPA at Sango Ota because I stay at Lagos, brothers and sisters I combed the whole local government including the industrial estate with no hope. The three major replies I get are:
1. We need people who studied engineering (Whenever I heard this, I wish they rather told me just go I don't like your face)
2. You have to know someone at the top to give you are recommendation (this almost killed my zeal to check keep going to copanies, but I'll keep on trying so far transport dey)
3. "Who do you want to see" by the gate-man, and if you don't know anyone, you may as well get lost already

I've finally gotten myself at a PPA where I go just twice a week (I spend the two days reading my sedimentology, stratigraphy and geophysics textbooks cause of idleness), and with the understanding of my boss, if I get an job or an internship I could come just once a week. This gives me 3 to 4 working days to add value to my life. I included this cause I believe I can still get help from someone in this forum.

I'm currently searching for an internship or any form of job related to geology just to gain experience or as a last option a job of any kind so I can saffe up money to write the IELTS exam. I've even gone begged to companies to take me as a volunteer worker, with no pay or stipend of any kind yet still, they bluntly refused saying there's no space for that.

Not withstanding, I'm still looking at the positive side. I'm also thinking critically about my future regarding M.Sc. which I would like to pursue immediately after my NSC God willing. I have 3 choices (Petroleum Geoscience, Applied Geophysics and Environmental Geology/Engineering which I'll expantiate on to enable everyone here to offer advice.

1. Petroleum Geoscience: Yes, it's lucrative, but if you were to look at my area of strength an pick a course for me you'll pick same. I find myself doing very well in courses like Stratigraphy, Sedimentology, Petroleum Geology, Applied Geophysics, Economic geology etc (if I don't get an A, it's a B). I'm naturally interested in this course, maybe the fact that it's lucrative makes it easier for me to understand.
Most times I try to think of a case where there would be shortage of petroleum geoscientist since many people are talked out of streamlining their careers to study pet geo. Remember that, despite the oil troubles companies are still searching for reserves using advanced technologies.

2. Applied Geophysics: This is like the safest option, because not only can you work in the oil industry, but also in other aspects like solid mineral exploration etc. You can even run your own company and search for contracts. BUT I love to be realistic, I have a B.Sc in geology, not geophysics, maths, engineering or physics. Schooling in Nigeria is bad enough, I don't trust my maths and physics so well, I last offerred Advanced Maths in 200L which I passed with strive. I have doubts that I'll be able to cope well if I go outside the country to study Geophysics. Even if I somehow struggle to pull through, this world is too competitive to travel out to study only to be average in what you do, you must excel in your chosen field). I've read forums which say it's easier for a engineer or mathematician to study for an M.Sc. in Geophysics than a geologist. Otherwise, I'll Take this option over Petroleum Geoscience.

3. Environmental Geology/Engineering: Everyone talks about how important environmental geology is and is becoming. Yes, but looking at it critically, are the positions for an environmental geologist not also limited? How many will an oil company employ? How many will other companies and federal ministries employ? Also, looking at the future, I see a situation where environmentalist would be far higher than the available jobs, like very high, can't predict how soon though.

Everyone should please feel free to let me know if I'm wrong, it may help another person too.

Also, @GeoOla25 please I'll like to know how you went about applying to university of Liverpool. I know some routines, but there are some little details I'll love to ask you privately.
hello Michaella,
Good to know you still have passion to pursue a career in the field of Geosciences.

Firstly, I will say don't be discourage about your PPA challenges , Otta is not a best location for a geoscientists, I have been based there sometimes ago and I have onces and virtually comb the whole areas, but you would have been a bit lucky if you had your way to Lafarge or Wapco at Ewekoro or Ibese ...well no hope is lost. take your time to prepare more for the challenges ahead during this period.
Secondly, On the issue of securing an International admission and funding through scholarships , it's no rocket science , all you need to do is to use your google search engine effectively and get all your documents prepared.
why google? you have to search various institutions in the UK , Canada , US and other good countries, get a list of them and browse through there requirements for International students, so some school you don't even need TOEFL or IELT but just your WAEC or NECO credit in English will do, or get a proficiency in English from the school you graduated from.
I will give you a list of necessary documents you need to secure an admission in some international schools in UK and the likes.
1. get an international passport
2. get. the original copies of all your certificates till your last education
3. Get a your transcript l.e student copy
4. get reference letter from your school lecturers minimum of 2 will be required.
5. get IELT or TOEFL with score of 6.5 and above (optional), some scholarship boards requires it , chevening scholarship, NLNG and some few others requires it.
Thirdly, Funding it doesn't come like a magic, you need adequate preparations cos you will be competing with thousands of candidates too, I will list few international fully funding scholarship bodies apart from the one above and you also have to do your home work to know when these awarding bodies rolls out there scholarship.
1.PTDF
2.NLNG
3.Agip
4. Commonwealth
5. Shell (if your from oil producing states especially there operations areas)
6. NDDC (strictly Oil producing states)
7.for first class candidates , NUC too offer a scholarship.
just keep keen to your information and read extensively.

stay focus and keep your head's up.
cheer.

1 Like

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 06, 2017
You are very expressive sha and also well informed, me likie
michaelella:

Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 06, 2017
Na true oo
Icon4s:

Rather than spending time reading your stratigraphy, sedimentology and Geophysics text books why not read GMAT, GRE and SHL aptitude test questions,
Your physics and mathematics texts books too should be at your bed side.

Know this now and thank me later.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by michaelella: 5:56pm On Aug 06, 2017
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Donmatlock: 6:17pm On Aug 07, 2017
GeoOla25:

hello Michaella,
Good to know you still have passion to pursue a career in the field of Geosciences.

Firstly, I will say don't be discourage about your PPA challenges , Otta is not a best location for a geoscientists, I have been based there sometimes ago and I have onces and virtually comb the whole areas, but you would have been a bit lucky if you had your way to Lafarge or Wapco at Ewekoro or Ibese ...well no hope is lost. take your time to prepare more for the challenges ahead during this period.
Secondly, On the issue of securing an International admission and funding through scholarships , it's no rocket science , all you need to do is to use your google search engine effectively and get all your documents prepared.
why google? you have to search various institutions in the UK , Canada , US and other good countries, get a list of them and browse through there requirements for International students, so some school you don't even need TOEFL or IELT but just your WAEC or NECO credit in English will do, or get a proficiency in English from the school you graduated from.
I will give you a list of necessary documents you need to secure an admission in some international schools in UK and the likes.
1. get an international passport
2. get. the original copies of all your certificates till your last education
3. Get a your transcript l.e student copy
4. get reference letter from your school lecturers minimum of 2 will be required.
5. get IELT or TOEFL with score of 6.5 and above (optional), some scholarship boards requires it , chevening scholarship, NLNG and some few others requires it.
Thirdly, Funding it doesn't come like a magic, you need adequate preparations cos you will be competing with thousands of candidates too, I will list few international fully funding scholarship bodies apart from the one above and you also have to do your home work to know when these awarding bodies rolls out there scholarship.
1.PTDF
2.NLNG
3.Agip
4. Commonwealth
5. Shell (if your from oil producing states especially there operations areas)
6. NDDC (strictly Oil producing states)
7.for first class candidates , NUC too offer a scholarship.
just keep keen to your information and read extensively.

stay focus and keep your head's up.
cheer.

I Would suggest you use your space time to delve into technology. Learn new skills like coding, develop apps or some languages relegated to your field. Find someone to teach you or DIY by doing online course. This will broaden your knowledge and prepare you adequately for future challenges. It may even spur you to develop solutions in the industry and enable you meet financial needs. Do not forget to put your best effort into Community Development programmes.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by Donmatlock: 6:22pm On Aug 07, 2017
michaelella:
Man ... thank you already

I just googled the GMAT and GRE books, they all range between 10 -20k ... any idea if and where I can find them cheaper?

You can buy used GMAT, GRE etc. You probably need to hunt in Lagos or use OLX to search.
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by grinfingaz(f): 6:59pm On Aug 07, 2017
I'm writing this with sorrow and desperation in my heart, I finished my service early this year and getting any job as been a locked out end and barely can I cope financially ...
I graduated with a 2nd class Geophysics degree with little experience in Petrophysics and Geotechnic.... I would appreciate any job related to my study, be it in environmental , engineering, mining, borehole or any unrelated job as long as it puts money in my pocket. I reside in Lagos but won't mind a job outside the state.

Any good Samaritan willing to help me can please send me an email to forward my resume

God bless you all as you help a soul. Amen
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by michaelella: 7:05pm On Aug 07, 2017
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by michaelella: 7:12pm On Aug 07, 2017
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by michaelella: 7:13pm On Aug 07, 2017
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by grinfingaz(f): 7:31pm On Aug 07, 2017
michaelella:
I would suggest you look for jobs outside Geophysics .... There's an offline sales agent job i for at iroko tv i applied for yesterday and got invited today for an interview on wednesday and they need sales agents all around lagos ....if you are interested I can give you the link ....

the pay is 25k (basic) and 40-60k(depending on if u meet ur targets)....its 3 months and can possibly be extended

I doubt theyll take me when I tell them I'm serving and I cann only work for 3 days a week and saturday ... u can give it a try while searching for something better or something in ur field

Thank u so much, I will give this a try
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by michaelella: 7:40pm On Aug 07, 2017
Re: Geoscientists Working In The Oil Industry: How Did You Get In? Share Your Story. by niyogeol(m): 9:47pm On Jan 04, 2018
Happy new year friends. This thread has been too quiet. What is happening? Has anyone hopeful been able to break into the industry since this thread opened? If yes, you can share your story here.

As for me, I started my M.Sc last year with hope of better things to come after the program.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Achigili Raph Ogili: How FRSC Official Forged UNIABUJA Certificate For Promotion / What If You Were In "Oga At The Top's" Shoe? / First Bank To Providus Bank Or Globus Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.