Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,394 members, 7,800,807 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

Microsoft Windows Vista Launched - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Microsoft Windows Vista Launched (4437 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance / Hp Deskjet D2360 Driver For Windows Vista (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by anusule(m): 6:36pm On Jan 30, 2007
Vista has been launched today?

What happens to Mac Os X? Did Microsoft copy Apple?

Will people get Vista and dump Mac?
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by akhy4life: 12:26pm On Jan 31, 2007
Microsoft has launched a new product into the Market. It is called Windows Vista. I hear it is too powerful for computer systems
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by kdships(m): 1:37pm On Jan 31, 2007
Microsoft have always been a copycat. That was how they started. There's no doubt about this fact. They got this concept from Apple. I don't think experienced Mac users will make any move. Who knows, Apple might come up with something new too.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by Issues(m): 1:49pm On Jan 31, 2007
what features does the Vista has that made it suitable 4 the it environment of 2day.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by ehie007(m): 3:28pm On Jan 31, 2007
yep vista is finally lunched. lots of graphic, 3d, and so on. its very large, but i think mac is still better.
windows stole a lot from mac.
if u study windows very well they are copycats.
i will still go for mac, but we in afrcica are used to windows, so it will sell here, but definitely not sell as mac in he united states and may be europe.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by texazzpete(m): 4:49pm On Jan 31, 2007
Since when did upgrading the Graphics of you OS become copying? Why do some people talk so much about things they know so little about?
Also, where did you get the idea that the Mac OS has garnered even up to a 15% market share worldwide? The vast majority of COmputers worldwide use windows.

kdships:

Microsoft have always been a copycat. That was how they started. There's no doubt about this fact. They got this concept from Apple. I don't think experienced Mac users will make any move. Who knows, Apple might come up with something new too.

exactly which concept did they get from apple? Is Apple the only company allowed to make an aesthetically pleasing OS, or is there a patent out for 'beautiful OS'?
get real. Also, i really don't think experience Mac owners were targeted by windows vista. like Bill Gates said, the biggest competitor to Windows Vista is Windows XP! Convincing the massive Xp userbase to upgrade is the primary task, not wooing over the hardcore apple users. Most reviewers agree vista is the best Window ever, but what they say is that it isn't yet a must-upgrade from XP. it'll get there eventually,

akhy4life:

Microsoft has launched a new product into the Market. It is called Windows Vista. I hear it is too powerful for computer systems

Why would microsoft launch a mass-market Os that is 'too powerful for computer systems'? At times, it pays to apply a little common sense grin

Get a Vista compatible PC and get Vista.
besides, pirated copies of vista will be hitting Ikeja this february, for those of y'all that are interested cheesy
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by Azanor(m): 5:06pm On Jan 31, 2007
windows vista comes in 3 diffrent packages, i dont know the names exactly but it all has to do with system performance. theres the high end version for the latest pcs with high powered graphics and lots of 3d applications, then theres the medium range for people with standard pcs, i.e. your average everyday pentium 4 systems, here the 3d applications and themes are toned down a little. and theres the low end version for people with weak systems and this version has little or no eye candy. i wonder which version will hit comp village
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by Maneater1(f): 5:24pm On Jan 31, 2007
Bunch of computer geeks.

NERDS tongue
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by TerraCotta(m): 5:39pm On Jan 31, 2007
texazzpete:

exactly which concept did they get from apple? Is Apple the only company allowed to make an aesthetically pleasing OS, or is there a patent out for 'beautiful OS'?
get real. Also, i really don't think experience Mac owners were targeted by windows vista. like Bill Gates said, the biggest competitor to Windows Vista is Windows XP! Convincing the massive Xp userbase to upgrade is the primary task, not wooing over the hardcore apple users. Most reviewers agree vista is the best Window ever, but what they say is that it isn't yet a must-upgrade from XP. it'll get there eventually,

True--there's no inherent reason why a Mac user would switch over to Vista. I think Ehie's point has to do with fact that certain features of Vista were developed specifically to compete with the Mac OS, as described in this article. Microsoft's larger market share doesn't mean that they are innovators--they've always taken their cues from Apple, since the days of the first version of Windows/ditching the MS-DOS system to the iPod rip-off called Microsoft Zire.

For Mac lovers, the advantages of OS X go way beyond the pretty graphics. I've got nothing against Microsoft--I have a Windows machine at home right now, but I've always owned Macs and worked on them since I was in college. They're great machines and the company's always been a leader, even if they have less than 5% of the overall market share. The story I linked to quotes a private e-mail from the former head developer at Microsoft (Jim Allchin) where he writes "I would buy a Mac today if I was not working at Microsoft." cool
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by texazzpete(m): 7:52pm On Jan 31, 2007
@TerraCotta
Microsoft Zune isn't a rip-off of ipod! The Apple ipod wasnt the first mp3 player to hit the market, it just became the coolest. Are u saying that offerings from Creative and samsung are also ipod rip-offs?
Microsoft brought to market a competing product, with its own unique features. It's like saying the PSP is  a rip-off of the Nntendo DS or the PS3 is a rip=off of the xbox360. Why?

After all, apple didnt make the first portable video player with HDD. Creative beat them to video playback. But you'll never catch an apple fanboy claiming Apple ripped off Creative.
And apple sure as hell didnt comeup witht he first touchscreen phone. they ripoffs too?

@Man-eater
You sent your post from a computer running an OS. You probably have some interest in the OS running on your PC. No one's talking about 'embedded DRAMs' or 'CPU timings' or some other geek-speak. All we're discussing is simple to understand by all but the most crippled of IQs. Stop displaying your daftness with such silly quips.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by sunshyne: 8:25pm On Jan 31, 2007
microsoft is a world leader. loke it or not and will continue to dominate the software world. Peolple like simple things and microsoft provides so,
i must say the earlier we accept the new vista the better.
e don de computer village before the release sha. thanks to indian geeks
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by TerraCotta(m): 8:29pm On Jan 31, 2007
texazzpete:

@TerraCotta
Microsoft Zune isn't a rip-off of ipod! The Apple ipod wasnt the first mp3 player to hit the market, it just became the coolest. Are u saying that offerings from Creative and samsung are also ipod rip-offs?
Microsoft brought to market a competing product, with its own unique features. It's like saying the PSP is a rip-off of the Nntendo DS or the PS3 is a rip=off of the xbox360. Why?

Texazz--you're confusing technology with marketing. Nobody gave two shits about MP3 players until Apple made them "cool". For the ipod to become "the coolest" took innovative industrial design, market research, as well as new tech (the iTunes concept, for example). It wasn't some accident of fate, which is why no other company's been able to duplicate or exceed their success in that market. Why do you think Microsoft didn't put out an MP3 player before Apple? Simply put--Apple changed the MP3 player market forever with the iPod, and the Zire is a reaction to that. It's not just being first with an idea, or even having a superior tech concept (the failures of Beta-Max tapes and competing DVD formats shows you that). It's their total approach to product development that makes Apple a visionary company--everybody recognizes that, even the leading execs at Microsoft. Na your yawa if you don't agree--read the article I posted to for irrefutable proof of how closely Microsoft follows Apple's footsteps.

After all, apple didnt make the first portable video player with HDD. Creative beat them to video playback. But you'll never catch an apple fanboy claiming Apple ripped off Creative.
And apple sure as hell didnt comeup witht he first touchscreen phone. they ripoffs too?

LOL @ this fanboy shit--I just like great marketing and cool technology. I don't much care about Apple, portable video players, or some yob on a Naija website with an axe to grind with Steve Jobs. I don't even own an iPod--it's more of a fashion accessory than anything else in NYC. Everybody and their grandmother's got one. Even those jokers from the surrounding suburbs have them grin. I still admire the product from a business standpoint, though. I'm all about objectivity, and it's clear that where Apple leads, Microsoft follows. Doesn't mean that Apple doesn't do the same thing to other tech firms--it just means that Bill Gates is a bigger Steve Jobs fanboy than I ever will be wink
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:07am On Feb 01, 2007
If you don't have Core duo 2 or the equivalant AMD processory Chip, forgetabout
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by dennylove(m): 7:14pm On Feb 01, 2007
yes, finally,microsoft brought the  ALL  NEW VISTA FAMILY,i think they are about SIX EDITIONS, am happy because it is another INNOVATION OR shuld i say is "REVOLUTION" cheesy grin shocked in the computer world.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by 2old4that(m): 8:05pm On Feb 01, 2007
hm. . .

One wonders how many years before it gets to naija! grin
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by alexis(m): 8:54pm On Feb 01, 2007
TerraCotta,

Lovely review, people think that when you use Apple that you are not objective, I tell them - it is a great product that just works. We saw Vista before it even came out and you wouldn't imagine what my class said, "It looks just like Alex i-Book"
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by richylaw(m): 9:28pm On Feb 01, 2007
dennylove:

yes, finally,microsoft brought the ALL NEW VISTA FAMILY,i think they are about SIX EDITIONS, am happy because it is another INNOVATION OR shuld i say is "REVOLUTION" cheesy grin shocked in the computer world.
Just for you to have a further understanding of the versions, otherwise 6 versions will be an understatement.Check the culled up below

And I also feel business entails art of innovation and strength to survive competition so to the guy who thinks VISTA is a copy work from apple , I will say no! its just the apple twin brother that was just born grin

Introducing the Windows Vista Family

Windows Vista is available in four retail versions and one corporate edition, all available
worldwide, along with a handful of specialized versions tailored to specific markets.
Although at first glance that might seem like too many choices, there’s actually a
solid rationale behind the mix of products. Here’s a brief introduction to each member
of the Windows Vista family (for a more detailed look at what features are included
with each edition, see Appendix A, “Windows Vista Editions at a Glance.”)

l Windows Vista Home Basic This entry-level edition, the successor to Windows
XP Home Edition, includes the core elements of the new Windows Vista interface,
notably Internet Explorer 7, Windows Media Player 11, Windows Movie
Maker, and Windows Mail. It’s perfectly suited for simple e-mail and web browsing,
and it runs most programs written for Windows Vista. It rips and burns CDs
(but not DVDs), and it works well on a simple home or small business network.
Using Windows Vista Home Basic, you’re limited to either the Windows Vista
Standard interface or the Windows Vista Basic interface.

l[b] Windows Vista Home Premium[/b] As the name suggests, this edition includes all
the features found in Windows Vista Home Basic, plus the noteworthy addition
of the Windows Vista Aero user experience and Windows Media Center features.
(For all practical purposes, this is the successor to Windows XP Media Center
Edition.) It also adds support for Tablet PC features (assuming you have compatible
hardware), a more robust Backup program, the ability to create and edit
DVDs, and support for high-definition content in Windows Movie Maker.

l Windows Vista Business Like its predecessor, Windows XP Professional, this
edition is designed for use in the workplace. Using Windows Vista Business, you
can connect to a corporate domain, create image-based backups, encrypt files,
host a Remote Desktop session, take full advantage of Tablet PC features, and use
roaming user profiles—to name just a few of its many business-oriented features.
Although this edition offers basic multimedia capabilities, such as the ability to
play video clips and music CDs, it doesn’t include Windows DVD Maker, or Windows
Media Center.

l[b] Windows Vista Enterprise[/b] This edition is not for sale through retail channels
and is available only to corporate and institutional customers through Volume Licensing
programs. It’s essentially identical to Windows Vista Business, with the
addition of Windows BitLocker drive encryption, support for multiple languages
in the Windows user interface, and additional licenses that allow you to run up
to four additional copies of Windows Vista using Virtual PC 2007.

l Windows Vista Ultimate The most expansive (and expensive) retail edition of
Windows Vista combines all the features found in the other editions. Thus, it
includes Media Center features, just like Windows Vista Home Premium, and
support for multiple physical CPUs and the Volume Shadow Service, just like
Windows Vista Business. It also includes access to a suite of premium products
and services called Ultimate Extras.
If you decide that you need a more potent Windows Vista version than the one you’re
currently running, you can take advantage of a new feature called Anytime Upgrade to
purchase an upgrade license. The process uses your existing installation media to perform
an in-place upgrade that preserves data and settings.

Note
Did we say there are five editions of Windows Vista? We left out a few For openers, you
can double the entire list by counting the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of each one separately
In addition, you’ll find Windows Vista editions in South Korea and the European
Community that have had key features removed in response to antitrust actions; in both
locales, for example, Microsoft makes Windows available for sale in editions that don’t
include Windows Media Player Finally, in emerging markets only, you can purchase Windows
Vista Starter Edition preinstalled on new hardware This variation of Windows Vista
is limited in its feature set and capabilities and sells at a dramatically lower price than its
full-featured siblings "
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by robby1(m): 10:11pm On Feb 01, 2007
vista is full of bugs. if you have not upgraded to vista yet, count yourself lucky.

Anyone with information on how i can downgrade to XP?
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by richylaw(m): 12:17am On Feb 02, 2007
r_o_b_b_y:

vista is full of bugs. if you have not upgraded to vista yet, count yourself lucky.

since it a superior version to xp , you be best to back up your stuffs, reformat the drive you have the bugging vista as uve called it and re -mount your xp
shikena
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by texazzpete(m): 9:16am On Feb 02, 2007
r_o_b_b_y:

i haven't heard of any serious bug in a release version of vista. or any bug for that matter!
i think you're using one of the pre-release beta versions. Take the plunge and buy the real thing!
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by Gamine(f): 10:25am On Feb 02, 2007
i'll tell u smthing.

i heard this from a staunch Windows groupie

"What, years of bugging from Mac-using friends couldnt do to convert me,
Windows Vista has done in its launch, i thereby pledge my allegiance to Mac"

So u see, Vista is a poor copy of the Mac OS
i have read so much on this and i will get the links to the sites that have this debate on
later!
grin
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by wormedup(m): 1:11pm On Feb 02, 2007
A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor¹).
* 1 GB of system memory.
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)², Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.
* 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
* DVD-ROM Drive³.
* Audio output capability.
* Internet access capability.

i'd say vista was made for specific people right about now .
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by kdships(m): 6:07pm On Feb 02, 2007
@texazzpete, if you know a good history of computers, IBM PC, Mac, MS DOS and WINDOWS, you will agree with me that the computer business world has plenty of copycats and one of them is definitely Microsoft. If you wanna know how they get the codes. Ask Mr Gates.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by zPixel(m): 6:30pm On Feb 02, 2007
Am waiting for the 'computer village' version grin
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by Saddam: 2:32am On Feb 03, 2007
My Pirate Contacts in Ikeja informed me 2nd week of January that a DVD copy of VISTA is already on Sale, So U can Holla me via my email so I brief u on how to get a copy because the sale is kind of underground for now.

It’s a really nice, the Graphics is just too cool cos that what am using right now.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by anusule(m): 11:56am On Feb 03, 2007
hussein . info me pls. adeyinkasule@gmail.com . i have a 20gb harddisk. 256ram. celeron m . 1.70ghz which version suites me.
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by Gamine(f): 1:24pm On Feb 03, 2007
@anusule
Vista's min req is IGB RAM,

so ur Paltry 256RAM sux undecided
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by anusule(m): 3:33pm On Feb 03, 2007
@gamine , my 'paltry 256mb ' sux though, but atleast it serves me well. do u mind sparing me your mac?
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by anusule(m): 3:34pm On Feb 03, 2007
@gamine , my 'paltry 256mb ' sux though, but atleast it serves me well. n still luxury 2 many out there. do u mind sparing me your mac?
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by Gamine(f): 7:21pm On Feb 03, 2007
Spare it huh, like i'll allow it to be tainted by a windowsgroupie

Buy ur Vista oh! tongue
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by hayprof(m): 8:20pm On Feb 04, 2007
zPixel:

Am waiting for the 'computer village' version grin

It has landed Big-time!!
Go Grab Yah copy Now, ! shocked cool

N.B :I saw the Windows Vista 'Ultimte Version'
Re: Microsoft Windows Vista Launched by delf747(m): 2:16pm On Feb 05, 2007

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Pascal Still Useful? / New Epson Sublimation Printer With Ink Feeding System For Sublimation Printing / Tell Us Your Budget And We Get You Various Laptops To Choose From

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.