Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,769 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed (13387 Views)

Dear 2017 pre-selected applicant, News and Updates on your physical verification / 2017 Npower N-tax Applicant That Have Successfully​ Written There Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by monteriza(m): 6:18am On May 29, 2017
If you’re job hunting, then you should be familiar with ATS, not Accounting Technician Scheme but Applicant Tracking System. Who knows, it may be the reason you’re not hearing back from employers after submitting your application and invariably, the reason you’re still without a job.

Applicant Tracking System is a computer software used in managing recruitment processes. It reduces the workload of recruiters in that it helps them screen-out candidates who do not meet certain criteria for the position like years of experience, academic qualification, skill set, etc.

ATS is commonly used in developed countries, USA, UK, Canada, etc, but I’m not sure how common it is with Nigerian companies. But for certain, it is being used. A few friends of mine in HR have personally confided in me that they use Applicant Tracking Systems in screening candidates. That it makes their work easier as they have to spend less time reviewing CVs.

However, the purpose of this article is not to inform you that ATS exist or that it is used here in Nigeria (because I believe you know that already), but to show you how to beat the ATS and get your CV in front of the hiring manager.

How To Beat ATS

1. Avoid the use of acronyms. Most applicant tracking systems are not designed to recognize acronyms, so you’ll be shooting yourself on the foot if you use them frequently on your CV. If you are a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria, for instance, instead of ICAN, write out the name of the professional body in full. The same applies to the companies you’ve worked with, the position you’ve held and the certificates and diplomas you have earned.

2. Use keywords relating to your field on your CV. Include keywords on your CVs qualification summary section. What some people do these days, especially professional CV writers is to include an additional section on a CV and label it “Core Competencies” or “Areas of Expertise” and list keywords under it. You can try it out, it helps. This is another reason applicants are encouraged to customize each CV for a particular role. When you do that you’ll be having different sets of keywords for each position you apply for that are related to the job. One-size -fit-all does not apply to CVs.

3. Do not add anything on the header or Footer. I have seen people include their names, contact and addresses on the Headers of their CVs. It’s not advisable to do that as it could work against you, where the Applicant Tracking System is in use.

4. Use the right format for your CV. There are hundreds of formats out there, but the most acceptable ones are the chronological, functional and hybrid (also known as combination) formats. You can choose from among the three. Don’t try to be too creative. Put the ATS into consideration in whatever you decide to do with your CV.

5. Use standard CV headings. The standard CV headings are “Qualifications Summary” or “Summary of Qualifications,” “Work Experience” or “Work History,” “Objective,” “Education,” etc. Do not attempt to give any of the sections a name that is known only to you. For instance, using “About Me” instead of “Qualifications Summary.” The Applicant Tracking System may not recognize that, and may screen you out because as far as it is concerned, you do not have that section on your CV.

6. Avoid spelling mistakes. You won’t believe that some applicants still have spelling errors on their CVs. It tells a lot about the kind of person you are. That you’re “unserious” or not well-grounded academically. That’s if a human being is the one reviewing your CV, but if it’s the ATS, it’ll have no idea of what you mean, so instead of confusing it, it’ll throw your CV into the waste bin. Review and review your CV, over and over again for spelling errors before submitting it, so that you don’t embark on a futile journey.

7. Use normal fonts. Fancy fonts are not meant for CVs. Instead use fonts like Times New Roman, Calibri and Arial. The size of your font is also important too. Don’t use font size smaller than 11. If you do, you may get into trouble with the Applicant Tracking System.

There are several other tips, but I believe if you take these into account the next time you write or re-write your CV, you’ll begin to experience positive changes.

Success!

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2017/05/29/applicant-tracking-system-a-possible-reason-youre-still-unemployed/

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by Sarang(f): 6:37am On May 29, 2017
smiley
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by kunlesufyan(m): 6:42am On May 29, 2017
I didn't know this format of resume is being used n Nigeria, not sure but most CV submissions are done hand to hand.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by monteriza(m): 8:13am On May 29, 2017
That's not correct sir. More than 95% of job applications here in Nigeria are online.
kunlesufyan:
I didn't know this format of resume is being used n Nigeria, not sure but most CV submissions are done hand to hand.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by Nobody: 8:27am On May 29, 2017
grin grin grin grin

Nigerian Applicant Tracking Systems (Curated by BabaCommander)
Godfathers
Nepotism
Poor Comprehension
Poor CV Formats
Witches from the village...
Age limits
Class of Degree
Type of Degree
Working Experience
Sex
Height
Shape
Religious Affiliation

Except the Lord buildeth a house...that CV is going nowhere, no be Naija we dey?

E too plenty jor..

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by Dumba088(m): 8:27am On May 29, 2017
Waitin we no go hear for dis cv mater, cv dis, cv dat. Are they afraid to tell us dat there is no job

Just recently I went to site to do labour job and the Engineer told me to summit my cv before I carry block and concrete

So I come the beg oga Engr like dis

12 Likes

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by smartty68(m): 8:27am On May 29, 2017
Even with all the points up there, you forget that nepotism is the other of the day in Naija

1 Like

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by oluseyiforjesus(m): 8:27am On May 29, 2017
If you believe in God n NOT connection or CV press like

16 Likes

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by smartty68(m): 8:28am On May 29, 2017
monteriza:
That's not correct sir. More than 95% of job applications here in Nigeria are online.
Lol! 95% indeed. Ogar please get your stats right, remember that its Nigeria we're talking about here and not overseas

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by sakalisis(m): 8:29am On May 29, 2017
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by lifestyle1(m): 8:29am On May 29, 2017
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by cinoedhunter: 8:29am On May 29, 2017
Who e epp... Naija and ima madu
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by Vecharry(m): 8:30am On May 29, 2017
They Don start again
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by Edopesin: 8:30am On May 29, 2017
Let Me Graduate First..

1 Like

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by accountbalance: 8:30am On May 29, 2017
Bloggers, chai

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by AquaPetals(f): 8:30am On May 29, 2017
Oh Pleaseee....
Do this on your CV, Don't do that on your CV..... angry angry

BottomLine: CONNECTION

2 Likes

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by smartty68(m): 8:31am On May 29, 2017
oluseyiforjesus:
If you believe in God n NOT connection or CV press like
Ogar if you're looking for likes this early morning, you won't get it from me. God isn't an hypocrite, the heart of man is wicked especially Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by unitysheart(m): 8:31am On May 29, 2017
Good write up
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by thesolutions(m): 8:32am On May 29, 2017
ATS.
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by OlaDapxon(m): 8:32am On May 29, 2017
Tracking system ke? oloshi ni awon people yi o
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by herkeym001(m): 8:32am On May 29, 2017
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by phemmyfour: 8:32am On May 29, 2017
kunlesufyan:
May be in govt agencies and parastatals...in fact govt is switching to online application now

1 Like

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by Bale2010: 8:33am On May 29, 2017
Thanks man!
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by Benjom(m): 8:33am On May 29, 2017
Please, tell them o.
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by smartty68(m): 8:33am On May 29, 2017
phemmyfour:
May be in govt agencies and parastatals...in fact govt is switching to online application now
Online or no online, the magu magu is still on
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by phemmyfour: 8:34am On May 29, 2017
To the OP

The dos and don'ts doesn't matter when you are rightly connected

1 Like

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by smartty68(m): 8:36am On May 29, 2017
Lemme come and be going before they come for my head this morning

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by oluseyiforjesus(m): 8:36am On May 29, 2017
smartty68:

Ogar if you're looking for likes this early morning, you won't get it from me. God's isn't an hypocrite, the heart of man is wicked especially Nigerians.
has Seun osewa's LIKES ever got u a bottle of Coke b4?
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by BabaCommander: 8:37am On May 29, 2017
BroZuma:
grin grin grin grin

Nigerian Applicant Tracking Systems
godfathers
Nepotism
Poor Comprehension
Poor CV Formats
Witches from the village...
Age limits
Class of Degree
Type of Degree
Working Experience

Except the Lord buildeth a house...that CV is going nowhere, no be Naija we dey?

E too plenty jor..
Fixed!
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by phemmyfour: 8:38am On May 29, 2017
smartty68:

Online or no online, the magu magu is still on
Sure...we call it the Nigeria factor grin

A job that the requirement is strictly 2-1.....you ll be surprise to find 2-2 and third class applicant and those that didn't apply at all among those employed.

2 Likes

Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by Emassive(m): 8:38am On May 29, 2017
Goodnews....
Re: Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed by smartty68(m): 8:39am On May 29, 2017
oluseyiforjesus:
has Seun osewa's LIKES ever got u a bottle of Coke b4?
Oh so it has gotten you a bottle of coke before, I see!!! I didn't know

(1) (2) (Reply)

Delta State Civil Service Commission Recruitment 2021 / Massive Academic And Few Non-academic Recruitment At FUOYE / KPMG Multiple Graduate Trainees 2018 Job Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.