Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better (5529 Views)

My Toyota Camry Gear Has Solenoid E Error / My Nissan Murano Key Refuses To Turn / Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 8:16pm On Jan 16, 2010
I WANT TO CHANGE MY GEAR, WHICH IS BETTER NEW GEAR OR TOKUNBO GEAR FROM OWODE OR LADIPO.

I NEED YOUR SUGGESTION AND EXPERIENCES,

To the experts, i am having a serious problem with my loving jeep,the gear is having a big problem ,i took it to the so called Nissan auto expert but they were only doing their try and error style, at the end they advised me to buy new gear.

If the gear is put in D, it will just be making noise without moving as much as u press the accelerator,of late i have being using 3, to move it about even though i know it will not last, and if i am on speed it wont change gear, it will only stay on one gear and making noise when the gear is tired, thus making my jeep  to be the largest fuel consumer in history.i do finish full tank of more than 110 liters in 2 days.

I need an expert to advice me, do i need to buy new gear or something else can still be done to the present gear.

and like how much to get new gear,if that is the only solution,

Expert pls come to my aid.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:02pm On Jan 16, 2010
Experts come to my aid,
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 2:53am On Jan 17, 2010
Experts ur attentions is needed here ,
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by sultaan(m): 3:32am On Jan 17, 2010
The only experts here that I know are Siena, and Midas02.

Your Armanda is new, there should be no problem unless?

Check if there is a DTC, and if you have none you may have to get under the van and see if you have red fluid stains around the cooler line.
Check your fluid level and that should be the culprit.

From now on these guys should be your techies
http://www.clubarmada.com/
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 8:02am On Jan 17, 2010
@Sultan

Thank you very much,i think the problem surpass fluid or oil level,

the mechanic tht work on it said he took it to computer and the indication was transmission, which means the problem is still inside the gear,but they dont have a technical know how to do that, that is the main reason i need an expert who can check inside the gear and resolve the problem.

Siena and Midas02 pls someone need ya help asap.

ones again thx a lot sultan.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by chelseabmw(m): 9:02am On Jan 17, 2010
seina he is waiting 4 u
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:20am On Jan 17, 2010
@chelsea

Thx, i need NL expert badly, i have to fix my jeep problem with their help, i am tired of thpose 9ja mechanic tht dont know their job, but love to try,even though they knw they cant get it.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by KunleA2(m): 9:28am On Jan 17, 2010
Did you check the fluid level as suggested?
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by inspiredm(m): 9:38am On Jan 17, 2010
OYINBOGOJU:

and like how much to get new gear,if that is the only solution,

Expert pls come to my aid.

Nissan Armada Gear Costs 1 Million Naira.

If you strike a good bargain, you can get for 900k

Let Siena in on it, you may not need to change a gear afterall.
  cool cool
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:40am On Jan 17, 2010
@Kunle, the mechanic said he checked everything but from the computer check up, he said it was indicating transmission problem, so now i need someone that can pieces the gear and work on it.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:41am On Jan 17, 2010
@Inspired

Thax for inspiring me, does anyone have Siena contact pls. i need to call on him.

1million no be small money oooo, something has to be done.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by KunleA2(m): 9:44am On Jan 17, 2010
OYINBOGOJU:

@Inspired

Thax for inspiring me, does anyone have Siena contact pls. i need to call on him.

If you will ever need a gear, i am sure you can do much better that N1m. I am not a gear expert but i can help you secure one at a much cheaper cost. Let me know how it works out.

My email is: promise72@yahoo.com
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by inspiredm(m): 9:48am On Jan 17, 2010
OYINBOGOJU:

@Inspired

You can reach Siena on his website

http://www.delta-performance.com/

His Contact details and Phone numbers are on the (Contact US) section

He is the Best Guy you can contact for Service and Purchase on this Issue.

You can know much more about him on his Website

Good Luck.
cool cool
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:50am On Jan 17, 2010
@Kunle

Lemme wait for the experts to proffer a solution first, but if i will ever need a new gear definitely i will contact you, keep checking the thread and lets see what will end it.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:51am On Jan 17, 2010
@Inspired

Thx once again, no wonder u are one of the best in this auto section.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by Nobody: 10:08am On Jan 17, 2010
In modern automatic transmissions, there are 3 things to consider:

1) ECU.
2) Planetary gearset, valve body.
3) Hydraulic pump and governor.

In your case, I would rule out electrical failure / ECU. The fact your problems began, by a reluctance for the transmission to actually engage, unless you select 3, and depress the gas pedal, would point to a planetary gearset, hydraulic issue, or even a combination of both.

At this point, I would be inclined to take an ATF (fluid) sample. It should be red, especially as your car is relatively new. If it's brown, then you have burnt-out clutch bands. They can wear out, pretty much like a dry clutch in a conventional manual, and the first gears to be affected are the lower ones, and sometimes reverse. You'll have to pull away in top, albeit with a lot of revving. The car will also be jerky.

If the fluid looks grey - i.e has fine silvery bits in it, then the planetary gears are / have broken up. More costly to repair, normally here the cheapest option is to get a replacement unit on an exchange basis. If the complete transmission is replaced, please make sure your mechanic does not use the old torque converter! If there is any debris in there, it will transfer to the new transmission, and result in untimely failure.

I will, at this point, go with burnt-out clutch bands, as the symptons you've described so far point to that. It may be worth draining the ATF completely, and changing it once more, as very dirty / contaminated fluid will not transmit drive, i.e, the torque converter will not lock-up, as it's meant to.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 17, 2010
Spam bot has blocked my response. angry

1 Forums / Autos / Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: Siena And Other Experts Pls Help on: Today at 09:08:06

1) ECU.

In your case, I would rule out electrical failure / ECU. The fact your problems began, by a reluctance for the transmission to actually engage, unless you select 3, and depress the gas pedal, would point to a planetary gearset, hydraulic issue, or even a combination of both.

At this point, I would be inclined to take an ATF (fluid) sample. It should be red, especially as your car is relatively new. If it's brown, then you have burnt-out clutch bands. They can wear out, pretty much like a dry clutch in a conventional manual, and the first gears to be affected are the lower ones, and sometimes reverse. You'll have to pull away in top, albeit with a lot of revving. The car will also be jerky.

If the fluid looks grey - i.e has fine silvery bits in it, then the planetary gears are / have broken up. More costly to repair, normally here the cheapest option is to get a replacement unit on an exchange basis. If the complete transmission is replaced, please make sure your mechanic does not use the old torque converter! If there is any debris in there, it will transfer to the new transmission, and result in untimely failure.

I will, at this point, go with burnt-out clutch bands, as the symptons you've described so far point to that. It may be worth draining the ATF completely, and changing it once more, as very dirty / contaminated fluid will not transmit drive, i.e, the torque converter will not lock-up, as it's meant to.

Good luck, and keep us posted
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by inspiredm(m): 10:41am On Jan 17, 2010
Siena:

Spam bot has blocked my response.  angry

1   Forums / Autos / Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: Siena And Other Experts Pls Help  on: Today at 09:08:06 

1) ECU.

Good luck, and keep us posted

Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 17, 2010
This spam filter's really annoying the hell out of me. angry

I posted a very detailed response, and it disappeared. I posted a query regarding the issue in Nairaland section, and it's gone too. angry angry angry
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 12:44pm On Jan 17, 2010
@Siena

Thx a lot, but as a lame man in mechanical industry, i really don`t know much about it, but are u recommending i take it to  Nissan Factory for check up, maybe with that they can get the actual problems, instead of using roadside mechanics.

Any outcome from the factory will be tackled and i can get some guarantee from them.

Do u think tht would be waste of money or what do i do?
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 12:57pm On Jan 17, 2010
@Siena

According to what i have said, do u think change of complete gear will bring solution or something else can still be done to the existing one even if i take it to NISSAN FACTORY.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by Onwan: 1:15pm On Jan 17, 2010
My advise;

If you want to spend money on repairs; it will cost you too much and still might not make any change.

1. Have them scan/check your brainbox to confirm there are no sensor problems relating to transmission. You will be shocked how the brainbox can limit a vihicle's speed or disable movement.

2. IF there are no issues up there, then simply go to Owode - Onirin; you will get accident OR recovered Nissan Armada there and ask for the complete gear. Its not as expensive as you may be thinking. I priced the complete engine of an '07 armada (Infiniti QX56), it was 320k - COMPLETE ENGINE.

You do not need to go waste money at the so-called Nissan "Center" to change the gear - you buy, they replace ASAP - no stories, you will see it all.

Hope this helps.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 1:30pm On Jan 17, 2010
@Onwan

Thanks for your advice but sometimes  jeep like infinity,murano and some other exotic cars, their engine is more cheaper than the gear.

i dont know the actual amount for the gear  but i can guess is on the high side.

if u have any idea about the price index,pls dont hesitate to post it here, your contributions is highly appreciated.

once again thx a lot.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by Onwan: 1:47pm On Jan 17, 2010
@Poster
I disagree with the pricing you have in mind, and totally with your concept of exotic cars and their transmission being more expensive than the engines (Complete engine for that matter).

When you get to Owode Onirin, you will understand what I'm talking about. I am not sure I will be able to go there to do the search for you immediately - Its only on my way in/out of Ikorodu BUT you can reach this DBudget Limited guy, he gets Autos from that place at very good pricing;

Kunle - 0703 5855 078, he can do the job for you. Once located, you should go and confirm and do it quickly. The good thing about that place is that you will see lots of models and parts, they simply remove and buy back yours.

I will advise you leave the vehicle as is till you change the gear. If you continue driving it using 3, it MIGHT strain the engine system - Im sure you know what that will lead to.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 1:53pm On Jan 17, 2010
@Onwan

u mean they can buy back my gear, that will be a good deal. thx for that

Do u mean Kunle can do the findings for me, i am not presently in Nigeria, i left Sunday morning.

If he can do it, then i dont mind contacting him.

lemme know about him pls.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by freshmoney(m): 2:02pm On Jan 17, 2010
[b]Mr Oyin, accept my condolence on the faulty gear. Notwithstanding,please follow suit what Onwan contributed there, being the fact that you are in Nigeria, checking and trying to diagnose what could have spearheaded the problem might be time-wasting,strenous,and costly as many mechanical engineers are not all competent. My advice, go to Owode Onirin Market or Ladipo for a used Nissan Armada complete transmission; the price is relatively the same amount as the engine price, so you should be aiming at lets say 250 to 350k. Mr Inspired price is right being the fact that hes buying you a new transmission, but if I were you, I would preferably go for the used one,because most of this new trannnys are problematic.

Moreover, before you can lavish your hard-earned money on a tranny,please do check what might have happened to the brain box, or perhaps one of the sensors,electrically that could be the problem. Secondly, check the valve body ,may be it needs to be changed, check the gear mount as well. But what I think is the problem could be one of the sensors, please go for the diagnosis,and let's hear from you. Brainbox could be the problem. Don't fall for some folks' suggestion here cuz they are only out for your money,eventually if the problem persists after buying a new tranny, they would advise you to sell it cheap and buy a new one. It's surprising that they have failed to know that you are a family man, you've got a lotta responsibilities and life is not all about cars![/b] cool cool

1 Like

Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by Onwan: 2:07pm On Jan 17, 2010
Kunle sells cars, (I have bought 2 from him) PLUS he moves around a lot especially around Owode-Onirin. He is a guy with great integrity, thats why I let him close deals on my behalf.

He can do the leg work for you IF you are serious about it, he will take care of it for you, NO STORIES; I can say that for him. You best talk to him, and forget about him in any funny dealings, just forget all that completely. 0703 5855 078

This is the best way I can help you.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by Pennywise(m): 2:11pm On Jan 17, 2010
Here is my own expert advise taking due consideration of the Nigerian situation and years of  dealing with gear boxes in general and SUV gear box in particular- Go replace the damn gear box. Or this bad dream you have will soon turn to a major nightmare.

In addition you can take note of siena's statement
Siena:
If the complete transmission is replaced, please make sure your mechanic does not use the old torque converter! If there is any debris in there, it will transfer to the new transmission, and result in untimely failure.

Good luck.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 2:11pm On Jan 17, 2010
@Freshmoney

i must say i really understand ur sincere contribution here, i will definitely go for tokunbo, but how are mine sure this tokunbo are really good also.

and also  i am not in nigeria to confirm everything now ,but i hope i have a good representative to make things right.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by sultaan(m): 2:12pm On Jan 17, 2010
First thing you may want to do is start your truck on a leveled ground let  it run for about 3 mins, put it in neutral and pull the transmission dipstick to check your fluid level there might be a 10 mm bolt holding it on passenger side.Pull wipe clean stick it back in then check if its within spec on dipstick.
Most fluid will last 5yrs/60k miles unless you run into things hat will nick your trans cooler lines, so you need to see/know fluid level firstbefore you go inti diagnostics.

Since you said they took it to a computer, tell them to give you the codes, or you can get a scanner t pull it.
Without being there we can all only guess.Let the car tell you what is wrong with it.

Your truck might be in what they call a limp mode right now stuck in 2nd gear to prevent damage from the fault it reads.
Running just enough to get you to the dealer/shop.

Did you just buy the truck like that, or did and expert worked on it prior to this?(like on the wheels)

My guess code might be a vehicle speed sensor or ABS module
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by OYINBOGOJU(m): 2:14pm On Jan 17, 2010
@Onwan
thx for your contact, i will definitely contact him now.

@Pennywise

Thx a lot for your sincere contribution, i will go for tokunbo gear.

the problem is which mechanic to use again, i am tired of those road side mecho.
Re: My Nissan Armada Gear Has Problem: New or Tokunbo which is better by Onwan: 2:16pm On Jan 17, 2010
@Freshmoney

Thanks for your contribution, its all about helping someone in need.

The fact with all these "diagnostics" is that its NOT cheap, by the time you they start taking things apart to get to what they "think is faulty", you will feel bad because they will not put it back as was - simple carefulness they dont have; its all trial by error.

So my advise; get someone to look for it at Owode-Onirin and change it there and then.

No disrespect to Freshmoney, but my preference for Owode-Onirin is that you will see your model vehicle, they will remove the gear you want from it for you and replace your old one with it (then you'll strike a deal for the old one), In Ladipo, you dont see the vehicle, you only see the gear system complete - some are tokumbo, some will be JUST THE ONE YOU ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF.

Hope y'all understand.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Transmission Problem On Mercedes R350 / Toyota Matrix And T. Corolla 2004 Model,which Is A Better Ride? / My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.