Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,122 members, 7,807,389 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. (23910 Views)

Wizkid : Sounds From The Other Side ; Album Review By A Fan / Pia Mia vs Phyno; The True Story About The Controversial ‘i’m A Fan’ Song / American Pia Mia Stole Phyno’s Song "I'm A Fan" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by nkemma54(m): 10:08am On May 29, 2017
http://pulse.ng/buzz/phyno-pia-mia-the-true-story-about-the-controversial-i-m-a-fan-song-id6750672.html

The true story about the controversial ‘I’m a fan’ song

Did an American singer steal Phyno’s song which has been released in Nigeria? Here’s the full story about the record.

The entire Nigeria is up in arms about a perceived theft of Phyno’s song by an American singer named Pia Mia.

The record in quote is a song named ‘I’m a fan’ which was released by Phyno in 2016 as part of his “The Playmaker” album. Phyno’s version featured Mr Eazi, and another relative newcomer, Decarlo. The song which is an urban Carrribean fusion, has not been made a single by the Nigerian rapper, but it is one of the critically loved records on the project.

The song was produced by Benjamz.

On May 26, 2017, American singer and songwriter, Pia Mia, released a version of the song which featured singer Jeremih. The similarities between hers and Phyno were present from the start. Pia Mia employs the same song title (I’m a fan’), extremely similar production, chorus, and verse.

On basic inspection, they are the same song, but Pia Mia’s version was produced by Remo the Hitmaker.

The basic crowd mentality with singles in Nigeria is that whoever releases it first owns the song, and very other version is a copy. And that’s what’s been happening. Pia Mia has been dragged across Nigerian social media as a thief, with fans and music enthusiasts accusing her of blatant theft.

But here’s the story. Pia Mia did not steal any song. She didn’t take Phyno’s record, neither did she appropriate the music. The true story is way beyond her.

The story of ‘I’m a fan’ single began from Phyno, Jeremih and producer Remo. According to verified sources close to Phyno’s camp, the rapper was working on incorporating Island-ready production on his sophomore album to tap into the international market. He was in talks with Remo, who sent him the song to work with.

“The guy sent the song to us, and we wanted to work together, but something happened and we couldn’t use it,” our source tells Pulse.

Due to issues regarding remuneration, clearances and demands, Phyno and Remo did not work together. But Phyno liked the idea of the sound, so he sought the help of producer Benjamz, who reconstructed the single, and brought on Mr Eazi and Decarlo to collaborate and release the record.

Remo, who had totally abandoned the Phyno project, still has his music, and so when Pia Mia tapped him and Jeremih for a new record, they had this one ready-made for her to record and release.

These things are not uncommon. In 2014, Phyno’s ‘Authe’ record featuring Flavour, and DJ Spinall’s ‘Gba gbe’ featuring Burna Boy possessed similar melody and lyrics in the choruses. But it was also a recording misunderstanding which was never taken to court. Both Burna Boy and Flavour had worked on a song, which was never finished. So they supplied it to other people.

So Pia Mia, did not steal a Nigerian song. Phyno and Remo had a misunderstanding, and the music has been duplicated [by its real owner Remo]

Would any action be taken?

According to our source, no official communication has been passed between Phyno and his team, hence at the moment, there is no official response. Pia Mia has not responded too. The singer has chosen to focus on promoting her new single, which is receiving initial positive reviews.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by prinsam30: 10:30am On May 29, 2017
for ur mind abi OP sit down there

modified

A thief is always a thief..... otapiapia u be thieving since abi omadioha don catch u... ntor

another FTC gone unnoticed, wetin really dey this FTC sef

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by chronique(m): 11:22am On May 29, 2017
So in other words, Pia Mia actually owns the song and Phyno used it without proper clearance from the real owner. Or how do we explain having a song you got from someone else but couldn't reach an agreement on royalties and other stuffs, on your album? If anyone is to be sued here, it would be Phyno.

80 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by Omofunaab2: 12:25pm On May 29, 2017
In short, na phyno tiff am

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by repogirl(f): 12:47pm On May 29, 2017
Lol..na now una dey release true story after Nigerians have finished her life with insults on her page?

Nigerians poured out their personal frustration on the poor geh, but it was funny sha. Nigerians insults can keep one entertained for a long time.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by Sirpaul(m): 12:48pm On May 29, 2017

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by Nobody: 12:48pm On May 29, 2017
So who do we believe? undecided
Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by johnabba(m): 12:49pm On May 29, 2017
who is this pia mia sef
Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by badthinds: 12:49pm On May 29, 2017
Mama, When will Phyno comment

4 Likes

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by tinny898(m): 12:50pm On May 29, 2017
stories that touches

3 Likes

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 29, 2017
Moral of the story don't let Terry G type Producers near your joint...

1 Like

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by NairalandCS(m): 12:50pm On May 29, 2017
See fuckup, wey I don dey expect diss track from both sides. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by Realwvn(m): 12:50pm On May 29, 2017
Not my business.
Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 29, 2017
So in other words phyno is the theif here!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by Lilaex: 12:50pm On May 29, 2017
grin
Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by raphieMontella: 12:51pm On May 29, 2017
Hungry bloggers at previous update.
Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by EXLOVER(m): 12:51pm On May 29, 2017
Where is Oga Blackface?

4 Likes

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by Segadem(m): 12:52pm On May 29, 2017
Ok

If I say what u wrote up there didn't have a single meaning to me cool

13 Likes

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by deskhal(m): 12:52pm On May 29, 2017
After Nigerians don pour out their frustration on the poor girl.

2 Likes

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by RealHaute: 12:52pm On May 29, 2017
Wait....

Edit:

Keep waiting....

So Phyno's actually the guilty party? Chai!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by BORNTOSUCKPUSSY: 12:53pm On May 29, 2017
grin
Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by SalamRushdie: 12:53pm On May 29, 2017
I knew the Nigerian had to be the problem

5 Likes

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by segun544(m): 12:54pm On May 29, 2017
Story! Story!!....All I know is that "OTA PIA PIA" stole Phyno's song.....End of Story!

11 Likes

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by BabaCommander: 12:55pm On May 29, 2017
johnabba:
who is this pia mia sef

Na one copy copy tify tify olosho for America

13 Likes

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by BabaCommander: 12:56pm On May 29, 2017
Op' biko sharap dia. Pia amu tif our piano song. grin A Nigerian nigger can neva tif olosho woman song

4 Likes

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by wizkidblogger(f): 12:57pm On May 29, 2017
next....

1 Like

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by Waspy(m): 1:01pm On May 29, 2017
repogirl:
Lol..na now una dey release true story after Nigerians have finished her life with insults on her page?

Nigerians poured out their personal frustration on the poor geh, but it was funny sha. Nigerians insults can keep one entertained for a long time.
grin
You don't mean it... So my people have gone online to start another unreasonable war as always. Those twitter peeps can dey fall person hand sometimes

2 Likes

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by Radiohead6(f): 1:02pm On May 29, 2017
deskhal:
After Nigerians don pour out their frustration on the poor girl.
I tell you

1 Like

Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by leofab(f): 1:04pm On May 29, 2017
So who is lying ?
Re: The Truth: Pia Mia's "I'm A Fan" Was Not Stolen. by repogirl(f): 1:06pm On May 29, 2017
Waspy:
grin
You don't mean it... So my people have gone online to start another unreasonable war as always
just check out the girl's IG page @piamia

You will laugh taya. If only we can unitedly gear our energy into productive things. SMH!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Women Working Behind The Scenes, Contributing To The Growth Of Nigerian Music / First Digital Audio Visual Studio Launched In Ajegunle (Photos) / Who Do You Think Deserve The Next Rated Award Even If Not Given.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.