Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,662 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:40 AM

How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? (12826 Views)

Car Maintenance: 5 Useful Tips Every Car Owner Should Know About / 21 Car Maintenance Tips That Will Make Your Car Last Longer / 10 Things That Can Make Your Car Look More Beautiful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by LeJeun3: 11:20pm On May 29, 2017

This post isn't about money but about a defacto issue. It's coming against the backdrop of the cry of several people about how expensive it is to maintain a Range Rover, Range Rover Sport or Discoveries.

Each vehicle comes with a recommendation for all fluids the vehicle uses...... There are acceptable ranges and also most use as stated in the manual.

We also are aware of the fact that getting fluids as recommended are more difficult because they are more expensive.

I would like simple posts like:

Car Model:
Service interval:
Engine oil used:
Quantity:
Cost of oil filter:

Cars gurus will give inputs as per correctness and how genuine the parts maybe.

Cc: Gazzuzz, kingreign, sooperrescue, egunmogaji

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by kingreign(m): 11:29pm On May 29, 2017
Its gonna be an interesting topic. Pls, start first smiley
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by Nobody: 11:39pm On May 29, 2017
I'm not a typical driver and my truck is not typical.

She sits there all pretty for 2-3 months and then I drive her for 2-3 weeks.

I use Total oil something 5000 and 20W50, I'm sure that's not the recommended weight but what previous owner fed her and I thought it best not to change her diet.

I bring over the oil filter from the US as well as other stuff like brake pads, other filters, etc

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by LeJeun3: 11:43pm On May 29, 2017
EgunMogaji:
I'm not a typical driver and my truck is not typical.

She sits there all pretty for 2-3 months and then I drive her for 2-3 weeks.

I use Total oil something 5000 and 20W50, I'm sure that's not the recommended weight but what previous owner fed her and I thought it best not to change her diet.

I bring over the oil filter from the US as well as other stuff like brake pads, other filters, etc

But I believe you are going to do a turn around maintenance cheesy

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by LeJeun3: 11:44pm On May 29, 2017
kingreign:
Its gonna be an interesting topic. Pls, start first smiley

Toi la.....

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by FEGEITOK: 12:36am On May 30, 2017
Car Model:............Mazda MPV 2000 2.5L V6 LX
Service interval:....15,000 miles once or twice I have extended it to 18,000 miles
Engine oil used:.....Mobil 1 5w30 Extended Performance Synthetic Motor Oil-1 Quart (Pack of 6) @ $60 excluding shipping and clearing
Quantity:..............6L
Cost of oil filter:....$10 excluding shipping and clearing
Type of Oil Filter:..Bosch D3410 DistancePlus High Performance Oil Filter

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
In effect I change my oil in about a year or a year and a half, and I have followed this procedure for several years. In the last two years, I do the change myself, in previous years, I depended on external professional help.

I have in effect ignored Manufacturer Service Recommendations with respect to mileage and time, but so far no issues.

I race the vehicle and travel a lot so I don't joke with the oil

At $1= N400, $70 dollars equals N28,000.00 divided by 12, so excluding shipping and clearing, I spend a little over N2,300.00 per month on oil and oil filter

6 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by Nobody: 1:02am On May 30, 2017
LeJeun3:

But I believe you are going to do a turn around maintenance cheesy

For sure.

The brake system is next. All new front calipers, master brake cylinder and rear cylinders.

Stopping now seems to be like stopping a boat with an anchor.

Then I'll move onto suspension. Will change all rubber bits and do a 4" body lift.

Also need spacers for the wheels, I need the tires to be speaking to the "okere ibadans" grin

2 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by LeJeun3: 7:02am On May 30, 2017
EgunMogaji:

For sure.

The brake system is next. All new front calipers, master brake cylinder and rear cylinders.

Stopping now seems to be like stopping a boat with an anchor.

Then I'll move onto suspension. Will change all rubber bits and do a 4" body lift.

Also need spacers for the wheels, I need the tires to be speaking to the "okere ibadans" grin

I trust you! Would suggest rather than give the truck 4" suspension lift, since you be getting spacers you probably Should go straight up to change rims to 16 or 17" then putting the largest tires you can find.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by LeJeun3: 7:17am On May 30, 2017
FEGEITOK:
Car Model:............Mazda MPV 2000 2.5L V6 LX
Service interval:....15,000 miles once or twice I have extended it to 18,000 miles
Engine oil used:.....Mobil 1 5w30 Extended Performance Synthetic Motor Oil-1 Quart (Pack of 6) @ $60 excluding shipping and clearing
Quantity:..............6L
Cost of oil filter:....$10 excluding shipping and clearing
Type of Oil Filter:..Bosch D3410 DistancePlus High Performance Oil Filter

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
In effect I change my oil in about a year or a year and a half, and I have followed this procedure for several years. In the last two years, I do the change myself, in previous years, I depended on external professional help.

I have in effect ignored Manufacturer Service Recommendations with respect to mileage and time, but so far no issues.

I race the vehicle and travel a lot so I don't joke with the oil

At $1= N400, $70 dollars equals N28,000.00 divided by 12, so excluding shipping and clearing, I spend a little over N2,300.00 per month on oil and oil filter

I noticed you successfully modified the service interval to suit your need thereby staying within limits yet safe guarding your pocket. Cheers.. . .

The cost would have been slightly up if logistics and clearing were included. . . For some People you already spending to much on a Mazda
tongue
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by Nobody: 8:34am On May 30, 2017
LeJeun3:

I trust you! Would suggest rather than give the truck 4" suspension lift, since you be getting spacers you probably Should go straight up to change rims to 16 or 17" then putting the largest tires you can find.

This month I purchased 4 brand new Firestone 265/70R16" tires so I'm good on the tires. Bigger tires equals higher weight too.

I forge through a small river to get to my site so I need to keep the water away from the cabin.

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by nurey(m): 10:32am On May 30, 2017
Car Model: Toyota sienna 2000
Service interval:6months or 8000km
Engine oil used:MRS 5W40 (13,000)
Quantity:5L
Cost of oil filter:1500

i start with 3.5L first after 3months, i add the remaining 1.5L as the oil reduces around that time. the highest mileage i have covered is around 7xxxkm within the months my average mileage is around 6xxx. Been using the oil for 3years now, car still steams in the morning, engine takes AC power good and fuel economy close to manufacturer specs. I service my car myself

I change my gear oil every 2years Texamatic 7045e dextron 3 (4k for 4litres) changed last in september 2016

I change my coolant every two years too Total coolant 450naira for 1L use about 5L changed last in september 2016

3 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by LeJeun3: 12:10pm On May 30, 2017
nurey:
Car Model: Toyota sienna 2000
Service interval:6months or 8000km
Engine oil used:MRS 5W40 (13,000)
Quantity:5L
Cost of oil filter:1500

i start with 3.5L first after 3months, i add the remaining 1.5L as the oil reduces around that time. the highest mileage i have covered is around 7xxxkm within the months my average mileage is around 6xxx. Been using the oil for 3years now, car still steams in the morning, engine takes AC power good and fuel economy close to manufacturer specs. I service my car myself
I change my gear oil every 2years Texamatic 7045e dextron 3 (4k for 4litres) changed last in september 2016

I change my coolant every two years too Total coolant 450naira for 1L use about 5L changed last in september 2016

Weldone. . . . Any reason for the departure from spec (oil).

I also calculated you spend around 15K more than the 6K that some Nigerians feel is right.
cheesy
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by nurey(m): 12:37pm On May 30, 2017
LeJeun3:

Weldone. . . . Any reason for the departure from spec (oil).

I also calculated you spend around 15K more than the 6K that some Nigerians feel is right.
cheesy

The spec oil is 5w30 since i couldnt lay my hands on it i opted for the cheapest closest which was MRS 5w40, total and forte oil were selling theirs before recession at 8500 and 7500 respectively for 4litres i opted for MRS 5L for 6500 after recession the thing don sky rocket. The most important thing is the first number before the W wink

I spend a total of around 30k a year on servicing, even now some people spend less than 15k a year i have seen 20w50 oil for around 1900 for 4litres after recession, i just wonder what kind of adin-agbon (coconut oil) grin packaged inside

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by FEGEITOK: 7:10pm On May 31, 2017
LeJeun3:

I noticed you successfully modified the service interval to suit your need thereby staying within limits yet safe guarding your pocket. Cheers.. . .

The cost would have been slightly up if logistics and clearing were included. . . For some People you already spending to much on a Mazda
tongue

Even after accounting for that I don't spend more than an average of N6,000.00 per month
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by Alitair(m): 7:22am On Jun 01, 2017
Following jejely. No body should come and hit me o. I just came back from a technologically advanced mechanic shop.

1 Like

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by samlak1999: 7:26am On Jun 01, 2017
Good morning everyone there is a contest going on currently on nairaland. Please I am a participant pls click on this link and move to the bottom of the page you will see a post by "samlak1999" pls just like and share please help invite your friend to. I you don't have an account just register. Pls voting end on Saturday night.

www.nairaland.com/3829110/ill-giving-out-n5000-sunday/1
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by Nobody: 7:27am On Jun 01, 2017
Buy a new car and you don't have to worry about maintenance cost atleast for two years because most car manufacturing coys give that as free package.

Sell off the car after 5yrs, buy another new one and the cycle continues. Most cars don't give stress until after 5yrs. Do this and have peace of mind with automobile.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by teejarny(m): 8:00am On Jun 01, 2017
I use a Toyota corolla sport 2004 model. I use mobil super 20w_50 oil. Cost is #4,700 naira. Also a 1,500 oil filter. I service my car every five months and I run an average of 1000km a month. Before servicing I will notice that the oil level is low almost getting to the minimum mark. Am always worried that the engine is 'shorten oil' by 5months usage. But my Alfa jimoh mechanic will tell me there is nothing wrong with my engine. It gives me a cool sound and brings out condensed steam from the exhaust on a cold morning. Fellows, what advice do you have for me?
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by kaymart: 8:09am On Jun 01, 2017
teejarny:
I use a Toyota corolla sport 2004 model. I use mobil super 20w_50 oil. Cost is #4,700 naira. Also a 1,500 oil filter. I service my car every five months and I run an average of 1000km a month. Before servicing I will notice that the oil level is low almost getting to the minimum mark. Am always worried that the engine is 'shorten oil' by 5months usage. But my Alfa jimoh mechanic will tell me there is nothing wrong with my engine. It gives me a cool sound and brings out condensed steam from the exhaust on a cold morning. Fellows, what advice do you have for me?
no advice for u, jus proceed to Alfa jimoh.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by Nobody: 8:30am On Jun 01, 2017
teejarny:

5 months is a long time and u shouldn't allow the oil get the minimum mark before servicing. I use a 2007 Corolla and I service every 3 months. It helps keep the engine in very good condition.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by lonelydora: 8:36am On Jun 01, 2017
No fixed amount in particular. Depends on what I want to replace
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by amb962(m): 8:39am On Jun 01, 2017
Car Model: Honda Pilot 2004 V6 3.5 litre engine
Service interval:
Engine oil used: Mobil 1 5W30
Quantity: 6 litres (N16,600)
Cost of oil filter: N1,800 (can't remember exact amount)

Bought my car in March 2017 and did the servicing immediately. Manufacturers approved oil is 5W20 but its not available in Nigeria. my mechanic says i will do the maintenance again in October after 6months. He says i will only have to service it again if i travel on a very long distance i.e east and back to Lagos.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by Abudu2000(m): 8:40am On Jun 01, 2017
Uu
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by lonelydora: 8:41am On Jun 01, 2017
SirJeffry:
Buy a new car and you don't have to worry about maintenance cost atleast for two years because most car manufacturing coys give that as free package.

Sell off the car after 5yrs, buy another new one and the cycle continues. Most cars don't give stress until after 5yrs. Do this and have peace of mind with automobile.

Please do you stay in Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by teejarny(m): 8:42am On Jun 01, 2017
[OK sir. Thanks for your advice. I was also wandering to that I must be over using the engine and not servicing it on time. Sir, is my choice of engine oil good for my car. Mobil.]

5 months is a long time and u shouldn't allow the oil get the minimum mark before servicing. I use a 2007 Corolla and I service every 3 months. It helps keep the engine in very good condition. [/quote]
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by symbianDON(m): 8:55am On Jun 01, 2017
car: 2007 Honda Accord
service interval: 3,000 miles
oil type used: genuine honda synthetic blend 5w20 engine oil (N3,500/qt)
quantity used : 4.2litres so I buy 5 packs
I used the regular oil filter.
besides other minor maintenance, I make a budget of N20,000 each time I service the car.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by Ewedegubbler: 9:00am On Jun 01, 2017
Car Make.. Mercedes E400 Cabriolet
Year.. 2014
service interval: Just did my first Service after it hit 30k
Service cost.. $0
Warranty. 120k or 6 years whichever comes first
Where i live you dont pay for oil, or anything during those warranty years, I dont even know what the engine looks like

Now this is how car ownership should look like.... Close to stress free except the Insurance premiums..

2 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by iamDaisy(f): 9:09am On Jun 01, 2017
Like 40,000 a year, don't really take notice of the work that is done, i just go there, drop the car and pick it up hours later.

How much is appropriate for Toyota camry aka spider 2008 model?
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by samkay12(m): 9:20am On Jun 01, 2017
Very good thread this;
Unlike some of the trash I see here on NL

I'd like to know what labor costs are incurred too; We don't really do DIY on our cars in 9ja do we??
And cost of tires too..

Following..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by Nobody: 9:36am On Jun 01, 2017
Retiredflirt:

5 months is a long time and u shouldn't allow the oil get the minimum mark before servicing. I use a 2007 Corolla and I service every 3 months. It helps keep the engine in very good condition.

It depends on the kind of oil used. For his case yes 5 months is too long as he uses 20w50 oil but if u use recommended synthetic oil then changing every 3 months is waste of money. I use 5w20 for my Honda and change after 5,000 miles or 8 months whichever comes first.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by Nobody: 9:42am On Jun 01, 2017
amb962:
Car Model: Honda Pilot 2004 V6 3.5 litre engine
Service interval:
Engine oil used: Mobil 1 5W30
Quantity: 6 litres (N16,600)
Cost of oil filter: N1,800 (can't remember exact amount)

Bought my car in March 2017 and did the servicing immediately. Manufacturers approved oil is 5W20 but its not available in Nigeria. my mechanic says i will do the maintenance again in October after 6months. He says i will only have to service it again if i travel on a very long distance i.e east and back to Lagos.

Actually I use 05 pilot and the manual says when the car is used for traveling then u don't need to change the oil often, just normal maintenance. But if what u do most is short distance, stop and go traffic, driving in dusty environ then follow severe maintenance schedule which is when u will change ur oil more often. So bro the more u travel with the car the longer the time u need to change the oil.
Re: How Much Do You Spend On Your Car's Scheduled Maintenance? by bravolad(m): 9:45am On Jun 01, 2017
Model: Lexus RX330 (AWD)
Year: 2004
Service Interval: 5000 miles (I usually achieve this mileage in 7 to 8 months
Oil: 5w-30 Toyota synthetic oil
Price: ₦3500 per litre (₦17,500)
Quantity: 5
Oil Filter: ₦3000 (briscoe)

Sometimes, I service it my self but at other times, I get a professional to do it.

Model: Toyota Camry
Year: 2011
Service interval: 5000 (this is driven more often, so I get it the mileage in 4 to 5 months
Oil: 0w-20 (Toyota synthetic oil)
Price: ₦3500 each (₦17,500)
Quantity: 4 and a half litres
Oil filter: ₦3000 (briscoe)

Same conditions above apply here.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What's The Most Embarrassing Thing That Has Ever Happened To You While Driving / How To Maintain A Car You Want To Park For Long / Reasons Why Your Car Vibrates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.