Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,239 members, 7,780,467 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:00 PM

Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra (10543 Views)

Oil Price Collapses To $11 Per Barrel Amid Covid-19 Pandemic / The Nigeria Vs Biafra Story In Pictures; 1967 - 2017 - Pic / This CNN 1968 Documentary About Nigeria VS Biafra War Will Shock You [VIDEO] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by ahaika23: 1:01pm On May 31, 2017
Over the years, the struggle for self-determination of the Niger Delta has flipped for multiple times on different fronts but all have had if not similar but a very closely related demise. From the times of Adaka Boro through Ken Sarowiwa (both of blessed memory) to the times of the militancy struggle, all of which had one peculiar thing in common which is the deliberate and intentional slaughtering of the men in the struggle and/or their subordinates at the expense of the struggle. Sadly NOTHING much can be said to have been achieved in that regard.
My region boasts of billions of dollards of reserves of natural gas and crude oil which does not translate to the expectant living condition of the common man, neither does it reflect in a single perspective on the average Niger Deltan. With the billions of reserve lying within and out of our shores, the Niger Delta would have been an envy of the rest of Africa but what we have is a large expanse of murky dirty filty landscape covered and littered by shanties unfit for humans. Communities with crude oil underneath their lands are even living in worse conditions. This is the sad story of the Niger Delta.

The men who have recently been involved in whatever title they called it in recent times have all backed out. A lot of people are of the opinion that the likes of Asari, Boyloaf, Ateke Tom, Governor, Niger Delta Avengers, and their likes have been duly rewarded for their struggle and settled excellently well. I cannot say anything in that regard because I have never been an arms bearer, let alone be involve in the freedom fighting crusade, neither do I have any access whatsoever to any of the aforementioned groups or individuals (yes, there are a lot of people like us), and thus have NEVER benefitted in any single drop of oil the flows from my backyard. It then seemed as though the self-determination was never about a group of selves but rather a unit of self!

Who then are we the Niger Deltans, who are we? Do we have to take up arms before we can have a sip of our God-given resources? Why has Nigeria programmed the people of the region to resort to violence if they want to at least lead a fabulous life? Why do Emirs in the far North have oil wells in the tropics where I have to cut through bushes to reach when I want to farm (but the Emir only sees it on a map) while my Uwema and or Oda/Abuan (Community Chief and or King of Abua) have no knowledge as to when the wells in his domain were snatched away to a Northerner, why

We have tried our best by using force but what has been learnt is that force may not give us a peaceful happy ending. Even the bible says “come let us reason together”. It is time to reason together. What the Biafra sit-at-home day has impressed in my heart is that anything is achievable without the sound of a single gun. So what options do we have? Because as far as I am concerned, Nigeria being composed as it is remains a contraption of injustice, therefore equity and fairness will forever remain in the realms of our imaginations.

On the inclusion of our region with Biafrans, for those who may not be aware, the contraption Nigeria was initially composed of 3 regions viz the Northern, Eastern and Western regions. Now the Eastern region was a composition of all the south-eastern states and southern states. It was officially divided in 1967 into three new states which were Rivers State, South-Eastern State and East-Central. But these were originally a region bound by unity, language gradiation and sharing (what a word means in one dialect would mean some other thing in another dialect, same word), culture values, same food, trade and commerce. But Nigeria came and began to split us all apart.

Over the radio today, I heard some rather embarrassing comment from one caller who claimed to be from Rivers State. He spoke with antagonism and anger as to why Igbos would make Port Harcourt businesses grounded yesterday during the sit-at-home exercise and I asked myself why he and his family members do not own businesses. If you refuse to fix it, others are fixing theirs and your refusal/hate cannot stop the world! We have to keep up and compete so as to be able to rub shoulders with others and have the voice to speak and be heard. We cannot be cowards and want the best, who would give it?

As it is now, if my brothers want to insist not to be a part of the future with Biafra, I would ask them who in the south-south is a Niger Delta Nationalist whom we can look up to and follow and your guess is as good as mine. As for me, instead of sitting down doing nothing, I would rather take pride in voting for a referendum for a better future for my people. I believe a process has begun without the sound of the barrel!

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by Nobody: 1:13pm On May 31, 2017
The truth is ND is composed of different ethnic group and lumping them all into Biafra without due consultation will result in anarchy and failure.

Every major Ethnic group there should chart its course on which side it wants to belong instead of bringing them in through propaganda.

The Ijaws are the major players in ND so if they can get their acts right other small riverine group will queue behind them.

The only thing that binds the whole Eastern region together is that the Marginalisation from the centre is affecting them all

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by Agumbankembu: 1:18pm On May 31, 2017
Malami swore no amount of agitations Nigeria can lead to restructuring.
Even if I drop the issue of Biafra, I want someone to stand up and say this is how we will press on till Nigeria is properly restructured.

People only remember Niger Delta and restructuring when they read Biafra and IPOB.

These are the same people that TU Face wanted to lead in protest, and others went behind to collect N500 to do "I stand with Buhari" on the same day.

Nigerians think they are doing me. Hehehe, more and more talents are leaving this country per day.

As for Niger Deltans that remember to pay allegiance to Niger Delta only when they hear Biafra, issa nice thing oh, continue. cheesy

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by ahaika23: 1:37pm On May 31, 2017
The problem is that there is no single INDIVIDUAL who has the charisma and quality in our region that can SPEAK and others will FOLLOW!
Kathmandu:
The truth is ND is composed of different ethnic group and lumping them all into Biafra without due consultation will result in anarchy and failure.

Every major Ethnic group there should chart its course on which side it wants to belong instead of bringing them in through propaganda.

The Ijaws are the major players in ND so if they can get their acts right other small riverine group will queue behind them.

The only thing that binds the whole Eastern region together is that the Marginalisation from the centre is affecting them all

6 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by Nobody: 1:38pm On May 31, 2017
ahaika23:
The problem is that there is no single INDIVIDUAL who has the charisma and quality in our region that can SPEAK and others will FOLLOW!
Ankio Briggs is a real activist but her gender is a stumbling block

19 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by ahaika23: 1:43pm On May 31, 2017
He is so wrong. One man can't dictate for tens of millions of others. A day will come and things shall make way. The ND needs the Igbos and that is the truth that is glaring for us all to see. We had better seized this opportunity and chart our future. No one will come and do that for us!
Agumbankembu:
Even if I drop the issue of Biafra, I want someone to stand up and say this is how we will press on till Nigeria is properly restructured.

People only remember Niger Delta and restructuring when they read Biafra and IPOB.

These are the same people that TU Face wanted to lead in protest, and others went behind to collect N500 to do "I stand with Buhari" on the same day.

Nigerians think they are doing me. Hehehe, more and more talents are leaving this country per day.

As for Niger Deltans that remember to pay allegiance to Niger Delta only when they hear Biafra, issa nice thing oh, continue. cheesy

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by ahaika23: 1:45pm On May 31, 2017
Yea you are apt and right. She is the only voice as it stands now that we have who is not a businessman/politician. She can still make the needed impact not withstanding her gender if she can get like minds to work with her as well.
Kathmandu:

6 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by Arda1000(m): 1:54pm On May 31, 2017
Kathmandu:

, your reasoning self tire me, what is Niger delta?

7 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by Nobody: 1:57pm On May 31, 2017
Arda1000:
, your reasoning self tire me, is what is Niger delta?
Plz explain
Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by Nobody: 1:59pm On May 31, 2017
ahaika23:
Yea you are apt and right. She is the only voice as it stands now that we have who is not a businessman/politician. She can still make the needed impact not withstanding her gender if she can get like minds to work with her as well.
As long as rogues like Edwin Clark and those former warlords are around there is no hope for her having her ground

6 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by ndcide(m): 2:00pm On May 31, 2017
ahaika23:
He is so wrong. One man can't dictate for tens of millions of others. A day will come and things shall make way. The ND needs the Igbos and that is the truth that is glaring for us all to see. We had better seized this opportunity and chart our future. No one will come and do that for us!

GBAM!!!!

I've been shouting. My people have refused to listen.

Somewhere in their illusion they think of a SS state.

One buffoon is talking about urhobo state. in the same breath mentioned resource control or federalism.

I laughed. Our people are not ready.

Unfortunately, when they are pinned to the wall, they'll blame GEJ.

19 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by UncleJudax(m): 2:04pm On May 31, 2017
There is strength in diversity. But that is only if and when everyone is happy in a "union". Clearly that not the case in Nigeria.

In the same vein, lumping too many unrelated people in Biafra wouldn't be any different from the present Nigeria.

I have always said if the non Igbo folks in the SS want their freedom from Nigeria, their best bet is to have an "MOU" with Biafra, then go their way after the struggle is actualised.

Nobody wants non IGBOs in Biafra

9 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by ahaika23: 2:06pm On May 31, 2017
Kathmandu actually spelt it out. In Rivers State for instance, we have a whole 23 languages and that speaks volumes the different clusters that make up the State. Now what is needed is an inclusive discussion where every entity can be carried along. If that can be achieved, then everything will work out a lot easier.
Arda1000:
, your reasoning self tire me, is what is Niger delta?

3 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by UncleJudax(m): 2:09pm On May 31, 2017
ndcide:

GBAM!!!!

One buffoon is talking about urhobo state. in the same breath mentioned resource control or federalism.

By Buffon you mean that fratermatyy or something? That kid na puberty de worry am.

His reasoning is all over the place.

12 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by ahaika23: 2:18pm On May 31, 2017
All Politicians are business men only interested in personal gains and profit. So when we talk about nationalists, they are automatically excluded!
The likes of Nnamdi Kanu comes to mind!
Kathmandu:
As long as rogues like Edwin Clark and those former warlords are around there is no hope for her having her ground

6 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by ahaika23: 2:21pm On May 31, 2017
For me, talk is cheap for all I know. But Action is way too expensive and just a handful can purchase it. They can rant about whatever state they want for all I care but but my only interest is in the person who picks the plough and work the field!
ndcide:

GBAM!!!!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by DauraDullardo(m): 2:23pm On May 31, 2017
Agumbankembu:

Chigboboss come and listen. Your masters say no amount of agitation can lead to restructuring. What's your say on this?

1 Like

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by ahaika23: 2:25pm On May 31, 2017
UncleJudax:
There is strength in diversity. But that is only if and when everyone is happy in a "union". Clearly that not the case in Nigeria.

In the same vein, lumping too many unrelated people in Biafra wouldn't be any different from the present Nigeria.

I have always said if the non Igbo folks in the SS want their freedom from Nigeria, their best bet is to have an "MOU" with Biafra, then go their way after the struggle is actualised.

Nobody wants non IGBOs in Biafra

We all have so many things in common I tell you, the whole of the eastern region. But Rivers State is just blessed with so many languages. Besides that, the other things are generally same within the region.As for the bolded, that does not apply in all honesty.

11 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by kingzizzy: 2:27pm On May 31, 2017
It is important to note that over 80% of the area people are now calling South/South used to be part of the Eastern Region that later seceded as Biafra. So when someone from some areas such as Portharcourt or Yenagoa starts saying 'why did you add me to Biafra', I say "you have been in Biafra before"

The time has come for all Southern Nigerians to accept that Northern Nigeria will never agree to restructuring.

Which leaves only 2 choices. The same two choices Ojukwu faced 50 years ago. Accept 'one Nigeria' as it is right now, under Northern control or secede and fight for your freedom

These are the only two choices in Nigeria. Restructuring is never happening in Nigeria.

So what do the minorities of Southern Nigeria do? They can accept to be slaves of the North or join hands with Igbos and get out of Nigeria. Niger Delta Republic for now is pipe dream

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by ahaika23: 2:28pm On May 31, 2017
lol, they actually and truly see everyone within this mess as their slaves. Some have accepted the position with pride while others are doing something about the insult. One thing is certain, and that is change!
DauraDullardo:
Chigboboss come and listen. Your masters say no amount of agitation can lead to restructuring. What's your say on this?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by Arda1000(m): 2:29pm On May 31, 2017
ahaika23:
Kathmandu actually spelt it out. In Rivers State for instance, we have a whole 23 languages and that speaks volumes the different clusters that make up the State. Now what is needed is an inclusive discussion where every entity can be carried along. If that can be achieved, then everything will work out a lot easier.
I know but putting it like N.D is just one ethnic group is not okay and of course of niger delta or Biafra becomes a country it will be just like Nigeria, the only solution is a change of government where tribalism and religious intolerance will not strive.
Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by ahaika23: 2:31pm On May 31, 2017
True, real true. You can't keep running round the earth because a rock fell in front of your door. No matter where you run to, when you return that rock would still be there. How about taking it away right now!!!
kingzizzy:
It is important to note that over 80% of the area people are now calling South/South used to be part of the Eastern Region that later seceded as Biafra. So when someone from some areas such as Portharcourt or Yenagoa starts saying 'why did you add me to Biafra', I say "you have been in Biafra before"

The times has come for all Southern Nigerians to accept that Northern Nigeria will never agree to restructuring.

Which leaves only 2 choices. The same two choices Ojukwu faced 50 years ago. Accept 'one Nigeria' as it is right now under Northern control or secede and fight for your freedom

These are the only two choices in Nigeria. Restructuring is never happening in Nigeria.

So what do the minorities of Southern Nigeria do? They can accept to be slaves of the North of join hands with Igbos and get out of Nigria. Nigeria Delta Republic for now is pipe dream

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by Amberon: 2:32pm On May 31, 2017
No her gender is not. I've followed her for years and can tell you that there's absolutely nothing in her way.
Kathmandu:

2 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by UncleJudax(m): 2:35pm On May 31, 2017
ahaika23:

We all have so many things in common I tell you, the whole of the eastern region. But Rivers State is just blessed with so many languages. Besides that, the other things are generally same within the region.As for the bolded, that does not apply in all honesty.
To be honest with you, it would be better for Non_igbo SSoutherners to have mutually beneficial economic relationships with the IGBOs than to share a country (Biafra).

We can always work together but we are too different to be "one"

5 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by Nobody: 2:37pm On May 31, 2017
Arda1000:
I know but putting it like N.D is just one ethnic group is not okay and of course of niger delta or Biafra becomes a country it will be just like Nigeria, the only solution is a change of government where tribalism and religious intolerance will not strive.
ND is not a group and i never said anything like that.
Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by ahaika23: 2:38pm On May 31, 2017
First and foremost, in a country with a near-perfect justice system, where no one is ever treated less than another, tribalism and bigotry would not even thrive. And this is the basis of the problems we face as humans in our world. When my brother is not qualified for a job for instance and I give it to him over a qualified candidate, that is the beginning of tribalism. But in a system where such can never happen, then tribalism wouldn't ever exist.
Arda1000:

4 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by Nobody: 2:39pm On May 31, 2017
Amberon:
No her gender is not. I've followed her for years and can tell you that there's absolutely nothing in her way.
How many youths in ND will Listen to her over Patience Jonathan?

2 Likes

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by ahaika23: 2:42pm On May 31, 2017
Even if I want to agree with you, the only way out that is feasible now is to have a pact with Biafra first and exit Nigeria before we can stand on our own because if you think we can do it without Biafra, then I'm afraid I don't see the possibility.
UncleJudax:

To be honest with you, it would be better for Non_igbo SSoutherners to have mutually beneficial economic relationships with the IGBOs than to share a country (Biafra).

We can always work together but we are too different to be "one"

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by Amarabae(f): 2:44pm On May 31, 2017
Another desperate begging thread for south south minorities to join Biafra. A beggar will always be insulted and humiliated.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by Arda1000(m): 2:46pm On May 31, 2017
Kathmandu:
ND is not a group and i never said anything like that.
noted
Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by ahaika23: 2:48pm On May 31, 2017
Amarabae:
Another desperate begging thread for south south minorities to join Biafra.
A beggar will always be insulted and humiliated.
who's begging who? It's not a thread for insults please. If you have no constructive contribution you can just read and maybe you will learn a thing or two. Thank you.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Without The Sound Of The Barrel! Niger Delta Vs Biafra by Amberon: 2:50pm On May 31, 2017
Are you kidding me? Who listens to patience Jonathan?
Kathmandu:
How many youths in ND will Listen to her over Patience Jonathan?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Orji Kalu Loses Bid To Stop N3.2 Billion Corruption Trial / Wike: We Will Not Yield To Pressures From Criminals To Relax Night Curfew / Reverse Appointment Of New NNPCL Board, Ararume Tells Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.