Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,809 members, 7,802,589 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession (1048 Views)

Rivers At 50: Governor Wike On His Knees As Pastors Pray For Him (Photos) / Lagos At 50: Check Out What Has Changed (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by malton: 2:37pm On May 31, 2017
Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by kingzizzy: 2:58pm On May 31, 2017
malton:

As a Nigerian with a nationalistic worldview and someone who has worked hard to build bridges and cement relationships among countrymen of different ethnic and religious backgrounds, it is with a heavy heart that I type these letters. I feel incensed at the terrorist activities ravaging the country. But even more than that, I shudder to lose a brother, contributor to national growth, and fellow citizen – the Igbo man.

A lot of Igbo men and women have devoted the best part of their adult years in the service of our dear nation and did so with resounding success. Wounded soldiers with the bravest of hearts, they have refused to get lost in sorrow, at least not the ones I know. A lot of them still retain a good sense of what it means to be human despite being to hell and back. Destructiveness and bereavement circled and touched many close to their hearts for three years, but they managed, somehow, to move past it. How else can we define resilience? I am reminded of possibilities, strength, and the sustained ability of the human race to flourish themselves each time I see a Nigerian of Igbo extraction. They have made it in spite of Nigeria, not because of her. This, because Nigeria has not been kind to its people. Not to the beggar on the streets nor the middle class working 40 hours a week, and everyone else between.

Today, a lot of tongues are wagging with resentment. Ill will and animosity have taken over the cyberspace. This is exacerbated further by a central government that has done nothing to defuse a very sensitive situation but adds fuel to the fire by making needless and unnecessary remarks. Also, I feel sorry for the actions of some of our brothers and sisters (some Nigerians) who, besides involving themselves in activities and making utterances that could cause further divide, have also brought suspicion upon reasonable and loyal citizens. And while the government of the day isn’t inviting us to connect to each other and move above our usual hateful tendencies, the populace isn’t participating in building up the country as equal partners.

Instead of striving to build a united, all-inclusive nation with everyone, irrespective of tribe or religion playing a part, some people prefer to be simpleminded. Ambitions and loyalty to a creed (both religious and political) have led to the jettisoning of the merit system and made way for favoritism, hatred, and prevalence of terrorism. Frequently, our differences have been highlighted where love should take the lead. Most times it feels as if only football unites us. There’s no connection to the sense of life that is greater than the circumstances we face. This has pushed many Nigerians to consider a whole different picture of things than we have become used to. To some of us, secession is the answer. On these accounts, anyone would be right to want out of such an unholy matrimony. Nevertheless, I implore those for separatism to stop for a moment and consider their options carefully before they push through their agenda. You may not care, but the dangers of secession might be greater than you think.

You should rethink secession because a split in the Nigerian context will bring about untold misery and suffering. Are you ready to give up what once was? Your houses, cars, job, or even life for a cause you believe in? I asked these because a peaceful disunion is not achievable in Nigeria’s case. And before you think me a pessimist, read further.

This does not involve a simple “go back home” process as many people seem to insinuate. To ask for Biafra is to ask to weaken Nigeria. Trouble, danger, and loss will come with it. There are a lot of pointers as to whether what will happen in the aftermath of the declaration of Biafra will be positive or negative.

In the event of division, there will be fragmentation, accompanied by the breakdown of law and order. This will weaken not just the political and social institutions in the country, but also the armed forces and their ability to protect the citizenry. Besides, the forces will be too preoccupied with internal wrangling of their own to defend you and I. Biafrans will be sent packing from various parts of the country, with their properties seized. Others will be attacked and killed en route Biafraland. The weakening of the armed forces will see the formation of small armies in every corner, each trying to lord over their territories while conquering and acquiring more. If not checked, chaos will ensue. In Biafra land, there are people who have long had their eyes set on their neighbors’ properties. The ensuing instabilities will see them pounce on them and seize their belongings, provided they are the strongest in the neighborhood. When the quest for secession turns to an arms race, you can imagine the rest. When there is no army, you have everybody else to defend against. Can you stand that? This is one side of the picture.

Another picture worth looking at is that as people get slaughtered and their properties get taken over, they’ll be forced to form their own gangs and fight against their oppressors. Meanwhile, in the other Nigerian States, there’ll be fighting over who owns what Biafran property. This will bring about civil war of unimaginable scale all over Nigeria. With groups fighting against others, a collapse will set in, and properties will be destroyed. There’s the possibility even that the present Igbo land will cease to be Biafra land, as do Hausa and Yoruba lands. Many will lose their homes, scampering instead for safety. As we battle each other, terrorist groups like the Boko Haram and Fulani Herdsmen will make inroads into our lands, because they had been organized from the get-go and have far more superior firepower. As terror spreads across Nigeria and fear grips everyone, people from neighboring countries such as Cameroon, Niger, Benin Republic, etc. will invade Nigeria for their own selfish gains and take over as many lands and properties as they deem fit. In a matter of days, you have gone from being a proud Igbo/Nigerian to being a refugee. All the lands and properties you fight over do no matter anymore. How about family? There are some you may never see again. A few will die, others will be taken into captivity. All the things you held so dear will vanish into nothingness.

And foreign interests? It’s always about the oil. You guessed right. As things spiral out of control, foreign forces will set up bases all over Nigeria in the name of intervention but with one instruction only – serve as much of our interest from this as possible.

You may ask, where is the UN in all of these? They will be watching from the sidelines, as always – without involvement.

How about those nations that divided peacefully? Well, different structures, different outcomes. I would have loved to throw light on this, but I guess it’s an issue for another day.

You and I should both pray for that time to never come when we would consider even some of our own brothers as monsters. Remember that you all speak with one voice now – or so it may seem like – because you all have one common enemy: The Nigerian state. What becomes of you once that enemy is out of the way? You do not want to get into a war of this scale. I haven’t experienced it, but I know it is a possibility. Emboldened terrorists, loss, suffering, famine, diseases are things you do not want to risk over some ego trip.

This isn't a political conclusion, but what could occur. Consider it more than just a mere possibility.

A renegotiated Nigeria is better for everyone. We may be many countries with so few in common, but for some reasons, we are better off together than apart.

This complete trach written by someone who does not know basic international law.

If there is Biafra today, no Biafran will lose their property or investment for it is protected under international law and rights same as Nigerians have their investments outside Nigeria protected.

If there is Biafra today, the Nigerian government cannot unilaterally expell Biafrans back home: Any Biafran can challenge their expulsion in a Nigerian court of competent jurisdiction with reasons such ownership of immovable assets, family rights, Biafrans of dual Nigerian citizenry amongst many.

Nigeria does not work as a country and hoping for non extent unity is not doing anyone good. It is time for Biafrans to go

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by Agumbankembu: 3:07pm On May 31, 2017
Baba has borrowed 5trn Naira in two years, how do you plan to pay up? Let's discuss

4 Likes

Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by tinkinjow: 3:34pm On May 31, 2017
The short sighted keep looking at the current revenue level of the south east. How shallow!
That's the same fear the have on the same issue with the Niger Delta. All their fear and hope is hinged on the oil.
Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by malton: 4:00pm On May 31, 2017
kingzizzy:

This complete trach written by someone who does not know basic international law.

If there is Biafra today, no Biafran will lose their property or investment for it is protected under international law and rights same as Nigerians have their investments outside Nigeria protected.

If there is Biafra today, the Nigerian government cannot unilaterally expell Biafrans back home: Any Biafran can challenge their expulsion in a Nigerian court of competent jurisdiction with reasons such ownership of immovable assets, family rights, Biafrans of dual Nigerian citizenry amongst many.

Nigeria does not work as a country and hoping for non extent unity is not doing anyone good. It is time for Biafrans to go

Forget international abracadabra.

I can bet that you don't know international laws more than I do.

Far deeper than just politics and laws, the average individual acts based on instincts. The laws and repercussions can only apply thereafter. Only after the deed has been done does the law take effect. What happens if it descends into a long-term chaos and social disorder? Will they go about interpreting laws or seek ways to bring about peace first?

And if you play your cards well, you'll get away with almost anything. A just world is a mirage - only when you seek justice will you know that it's only a ruse intended to elicit obedience.

How many people on these streets even know the said laws?

I'm talking based on streets, you're talking laws.

3 Likes

Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by Agumbankembu: 4:06pm On May 31, 2017
tinkinjow:
The short sighted keep looking at the current revenue level of the south east. How shallow!
That's the same fear the have on the same issue with the Niger Delta. All their fear and hope is hinged on the oil.

As long as I know no one is depending on ur oil, Enugu as a city state and Anambra were not built with your oil money. Abakiliki was not built with oil money, even with bad infrastructure, Aba is indigenously crafting and selling their way up without oil money. With the exception of Uyo, I have not seen any south South City that can measure up with Awka or Enugu or Owerri, Umuahia is decently built with Abia state oil rent, not the one in yours.

Baba leave me oh, I no happy at all.

From Uyo to PH to Yenegoa, apart from oil corporations, economic activities are controlled by Igbos, I live in Uyo and I can give you testimony.

4 Likes

Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by Agumbankembu: 4:11pm On May 31, 2017
malton:

Far deeper than just politics and laws, the average individual acts based on instincts. The laws and repercussions can only apply thereafter. Only after the deed has been done does the law take effect. What happens if it descends into a long-term chaos and social disorder? Will they go about interpreting laws or seek ways to bring about peace first?

And if you play your cards well, you'll get away with almost anything. A just world is a mirage - only when you seek justice will you know that it's only a ruse intended to elicit obedience.

If Biafrans is restored, and Nigeria wants to squeeze out Biafra out of anger or anything like that, they should go ahead, allies would change and patterns will change.
Stop the black mail.

2 Likes

Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by Fremancipation: 4:24pm On May 31, 2017
In summary the op is saying don't go for Biafra because if you do we will seize your properties and kill you.

While so many countries has broken up in other parts of the world and none of this happened.

Nigerians if your argument comes downt to "don't leave or we will kill you and take what belongs to you" you have basically proven that our so called unity is more like a hostage situation.

Imagine a couple who was forced into marriage by a stranger. Then one decides to leave after years of the marriage not working. The other couple starts to threaten death and destruction. That is basically what Nigerians are doing to Biafrans.

4 Likes

Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 31, 2017
malton:

I think if the right of Biafrans are not secure in any part of Nigeria it means that Nigeria is asking for a belligerent relationship with Biafra. With this many parts of Nigeria might get what they always dreamt. An independent Biafra might not be the same Biafra Nigerian defeated. A peaceful coexistence between Nigeria and Biafra is a win-win for all.

1 Like

Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by malton: 4:37pm On May 31, 2017
Fremancipation:
In summary the op is saying don't go for Biafra because if you do we will seize your properties and kill you.

While so many countries has broken up in other parts of the world and none of this happened.

Nigerians if your argument comes downt to "don't leave or we will kill you and take what belongs to you" you have basically proven that our so called unity is more like a hostage situation.

Imagine a couple who was forced into marriage by a stranger. Then one decides to leave after years of the marriage not working. The other couple starts to threaten death and destruction. That is basically what Nigerians are doing to Biafrans.

grin

Couldn't help laughing at "hostage situation."

This isn't what the article is about.

I'm saying voids always get filled. You weaken the national institutions, gangs and warlords fill the vacuums.

This is only a one-sided hypothetical situation.

The possibility of this happening or not is 50 - 50.

My way of saying, look to the other side.

The separatists seem to ignore a lot of things, many of which I intentionally did not touch on in this write up.
Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by malton: 4:40pm On May 31, 2017
jomonic:

I think if the right of Biafrans are not secure in any part of Nigeria it means that Nigeria is asking for a belligerent relationship with Biafra. With this many parts of Nigeria might get what they always dreamt. An independent Biafra might not be the same Biafra Nigerian defeated. A peaceful coexistence between Nigeria and Biafra is a win-win for all.

I wish it plays out it this way. I want a win-win situation for all.

Biafra or not, I will always consider the Igbo man a brother.
Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by Nobody: 4:50pm On May 31, 2017
malton:

I wish it plays it this way. I want a win-win situation for all.

Biafra or not, I will always consider the Igbo man a brother.

Yes peace is best for all.
Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by cowardafonja: 5:27pm On May 31, 2017
jomonic:

@d bolded: I didn't want them to know this grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by cowardafonja: 5:34pm On May 31, 2017
malton:

grin

Couldn't help laughing at "hostage situation."

This isn't what the article is about.

I'm saying voids always get filled. You weaken the national institutions, gangs and warlords fill the vacuums.

This is only a one-sided hypothetical situation.

The possibility of this happening or not is 50 - 50.

My way of saying, look to the other side.

The separatists seem to ignore a lot of things, many of which I intentionally did not touch on in this write up.

life is too beautiful to be confined in one miserable shiiiity hole but cowards will always shun change. They will rather write long epistle about why change must not be allowed grin too bad
Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by DerideGull(m): 5:43pm On May 31, 2017
malton:
As a Nigerian with a nationalistic worldview and someone who has worked hard to build bridges and cement relationships among countrymen of different ethnic and religious backgrounds, it is with a heavy heart that I type these letters. I feel incensed at the terrorist activities ravaging the country. But even more than that, I shudder to lose a brother, contributor to national growth, and fellow citizen – the Igbo man.

A lot of Igbo men and women have devoted the best part of their adult years in the service of our dear nation and did so with resounding success. Wounded soldiers with the bravest of hearts, they have refused to get lost in sorrow, at least not the ones I know. A lot of them still retain a good sense of what it means to be human despite being to hell and back. Destructiveness and bereavement circled and touched many close to their hearts for three years, but they managed, somehow, to move past it. How else can we define resilience? I am reminded of possibilities, strength, and the sustained ability of the human race to flourish themselves each time I see a Nigerian of Igbo extraction. They have made it in spite of Nigeria, not because of her. This, because Nigeria has not been kind to its people. Not to the beggar on the streets nor the middle class working 40 hours a week, and everyone else between.

Today, a lot of tongues are wagging with resentment. Ill will and animosity have taken over the cyberspace. This is exacerbated further by a central government that has done nothing to defuse a very sensitive situation but adds fuel to the fire by making needless and unnecessary remarks. Also, I feel sorry for the actions of some of our brothers and sisters (some Nigerians) who, besides involving themselves in activities and making utterances that could cause further divide, have also brought suspicion upon reasonable and loyal citizens. And while the government of the day isn’t inviting us to connect to each other and move above our usual hateful tendencies, the populace isn’t participating in building up the country as equal partners.

Instead of striving to build a united, all-inclusive nation with everyone, irrespective of tribe or religion playing a part, some people prefer to be simpleminded. Ambitions and loyalty to a creed (both religious and political) have led to the jettisoning of the merit system and made way for favoritism, hatred, and prevalence of terrorism. Frequently, our differences have been highlighted where love should take the lead. Most times it feels as if only football unites us. There’s no connection to the sense of life that is greater than the circumstances we face. This has pushed many Nigerians to consider a whole different picture of things than we have become used to. To some of us, secession is the answer. On these accounts, anyone would be right to want out of such an unholy matrimony. Nevertheless, I implore those for separatism to stop for a moment and consider their options carefully before they push through their agenda. You may not care, but the dangers of secession might be greater than you think.

You should rethink secession because a split in the Nigerian context will bring about untold misery and suffering. Are you ready to give up what once was? Your houses, cars, job, or even life for a cause you believe in? I asked these because a peaceful disunion is not achievable in Nigeria’s case. And before you think me a pessimist, read further.

This does not involve a simple “go back home” process as many people seem to insinuate. To ask for Biafra is to ask to weaken Nigeria. Trouble, danger, and loss will come with it. There are a lot of pointers as to whether what will happen in the aftermath of the declaration of Biafra will be positive or negative.

In the event of division, there will be fragmentation, accompanied by the breakdown of law and order. This will weaken not just the political and social institutions in the country, but also the armed forces and their ability to protect the citizenry. Besides, the forces will be too preoccupied with internal wrangling of their own to defend you and I. Biafrans will be sent packing from various parts of the country, with their properties seized. Others will be attacked and killed en route Biafraland. The weakening of the armed forces will see the formation of small armies in every corner, each trying to lord over their territories while conquering and acquiring more. If not checked, chaos will ensue. In Biafra land, there are people who have long had their eyes set on their neighbors’ properties. The ensuing instabilities will see them pounce on them and seize their belongings, provided they are the strongest in the neighborhood. When the quest for secession turns to an arms race, you can imagine the rest. When there is no army, you have everybody else to defend against. Can you stand that? This is one side of the picture.

Another picture worth looking at is that as people get slaughtered and their properties get taken over, they’ll be forced to form their own gangs and fight against their oppressors. Meanwhile, in the other Nigerian States, there’ll be fighting over who owns what Biafran property. This will bring about civil war of unimaginable scale all over Nigeria. With groups fighting against others, a collapse will set in, and properties will be destroyed. There’s the possibility even that the present Igbo land will cease to be Biafra land, as do Hausa and Yoruba lands. Many will lose their homes, scampering instead for safety. As we battle each other, terrorist groups like the Boko Haram and Fulani Herdsmen will make inroads into our lands, because they had been organized from the get-go and have far more superior firepower. As terror spreads across Nigeria and fear grips everyone, people from neighboring countries such as Cameroon, Niger, Benin Republic, etc. will invade Nigeria for their own selfish gains and take over as many lands and properties as they deem fit. In a matter of days, you have gone from being a proud Igbo/Nigerian to being a refugee. All the lands and properties you fight over do no matter anymore. How about family? There are some you may never see again. A few will die, others will be taken into captivity. All the things you held so dear will vanish into nothingness.

And foreign interests? It’s always about the oil. You guessed right. As things spiral out of control, foreign forces will set up bases all over Nigeria in the name of intervention but with one instruction only – serve as much of our interest from this as possible.

You may ask, where is the UN in all of these? They will be watching from the sidelines, as always – without involvement.

How about those nations that divided peacefully? Well, different structures, different outcomes. I would have loved to throw light on this, but I guess it’s an issue for another day.

You and I should both pray for that time to never come when we would consider even some of our own brothers as monsters. Remember that you all speak with one voice now – or so it may seem like – because you all have one common enemy: The Nigerian state. What becomes of you once that enemy is out of the way? You do not want to get into a war of this scale. I haven’t experienced it, but I know it is a possibility. Emboldened terrorists, loss, suffering, famine, diseases are things you do not want to risk over some ego trip.

This isn't a political conclusion, but what could occur. Consider it more than just a mere possibility.

A renegotiated Nigeria is better for everyone. We may be many countries with so few in common, but for some reasons, we are better off together than apart.

Mynd44, Lalasticlala.

Arrant nonsense!!! You can build towers and castles for all I care, the fact remains that Igbo man should take his destiny in his hand period. Nigeria should be disintegrated in order to cure one debilitating disease that had found home in Nigeria
Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by Nobody: 5:45pm On May 31, 2017
cowardafonja:

@d bolded: I didn't want them to know this grin

grin grin grin

The cowards will never welcome a fight where all the parties are equally matched.
Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by Nobody: 6:02pm On May 31, 2017
Fremancipation:

You are not entirely wrong here, if Biafra is somehow realized peacefully( which is impossible anyway), Nigeria cannot afford to have millions of foreigners whom she perceives as enemies living on her soil. No international law can save Biafrans from mass deportation and property seizure. It is the sovereign right of every independent nation state to determine whom it allows within its borders
Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by malton: 7:15pm On May 31, 2017
cowardafonja:

life is too beautiful to be confined in one miserable shiiiity hole but cowards will always shun change. They will rather write long epistle about why change must not be allowed grin too bad

Hehehhe.

You just made me laugh so hard.

Funny dude.
Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by Cooly100: 8:27pm On May 31, 2017
malton:

Even if you are gifted all Igbo properties in your reguon, they will trun to broen roofs, as seen in Ibadan, Abeokuta and Oshogbo, with time, due to bad maintenenace...so?

2 Likes

Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by malton: 8:29pm On May 31, 2017
Cooly100:

Even if you are gifted all Igbo properties in your reguon, they will trun to broen roofs, as seen in Ibadan, Abeokuta and Oshogbo, with time, due to bad maintenenace...so?

Is that why you cannot as simple as quote someone correctly?
Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by greenermodels: 9:26pm On May 31, 2017
malton:

Is that why you cannot as simple as quote someone correctly?
after the Hausa vs Yoruba clash at ife,only yorubas were arrested including an oba,they're still unjustly detained till today plus many other problems affecting the yorubas but you hardly see them agitate or discuss their problems rather they would be moving from one igbo thread to another spewing hatred over what is not their concern. a famous sage said that "an unexamined life is not worth living"
Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by malton: 2:50pm On Jun 07, 2017
kingzizzy:

Bro, please, delete my comment in quote.

I found out today that there's no justice on this platform.

Speak against the Igbo and it will be left to stand, and you criticise the activities of killer Hausa/Fulanis and the thread gets hidden.
Re: Biafra At 50: Why You Should Rethink Secession by malton: 2:52pm On Jun 07, 2017
DerideGull:

Arrant nonsense!!! You can build towers and castles for all I care, the fact remains that Igbo man should take his destiny in his hand period. Nigeria should be disintegrated in order to cure one debilitating disease that had found home in Nigeria

Bro, please, delete my comment in quote.

I found out today that there's no justice on this platform.

Speak against the Igbo and it will be left to stand, and you criticise the activities of killer Hausa/Fulanis and the thread gets hidden.

(1) (Reply)

Arewa Should First Recall Their People From The South / The "Cowards" Of South West, The Northern "Parasites" And The "Insatiable" South / Boko Haram Release Photo Of Abducted University Of Maiduguri Staffs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.