Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,478 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:33 PM

All You Need To Know As Google Announces Official Support For Kotlin In Android - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / All You Need To Know As Google Announces Official Support For Kotlin In Android (1313 Views)

Things you need to know as an upcoming programmer and MY CODING DAIRY / Whatsapp Group For Kotlin Users/developers / Kotlin For Android Developers By Antonio Leiva" Ebook(pdf). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All You Need To Know As Google Announces Official Support For Kotlin In Android by FraNKAPP(m): 2:46pm On May 31, 2017
#LetsBeFrankWithIT and LET ME QUICKLY DROP THIS HERE for those that did not understand the news.

In the Google's I/O 2017 conference, the company never said that Kotlin is now the official language for Android Development, rather, it's now officially supported as a first class language for Android Development which will make Android Studio 3.0 have Kotlin integrated out of the box together with Java. Meaning, you can still develop with Java or Kotlin.

We just need to understand this. Of course, Kotlin is a modern Statically Typed Programming Language which makes it win a head to head against Java, though still depends on the Java Virtual Machine. It was developed from scratch by JetBrains, the company behind the IntelliJ Platform which Android Studio is based on. Unlike the over 22 years old Java originally developed by Sun Microsystems and now owned by Oracle, Kotlin was not developed to be Backward Compatible with all those old Architectures and Syntax of C and C++, it was developed from scratch to modernize the way we code which removes most of the Java's weaknesses including the smart handling of the Null Pointer Exceptions, removal of boilerplate codes and so on.

With Kotlin, you would be able to write 20% lesser codes than you would in Java. It's very clean and Rapid. Compare a situation where you write about 20 lines of code to where you write a single line of code and they perform the same functions as a class... That's the kind of slap Java has received from Kotlin.

I personally think that the reason Google chose Kotlin over their own GO Language or Dart is because, Kotlin is Interoperable with Java, which means that you can even mix up the two languages as you develop your apps. Also, with Kotlin, they only needed a little support for it rather than Creating an entirely new Architectures and Libraries for Android in order to support their GO Language, that's definitely a risk not worth taking, at least for now that the Android Community is full of Java Developers with thousands of Apps.

Do you remember that Google and Oracle have a big feud since 2013 when Oracle claimed that Google infringed their copyright in the development of Android, and also choosing Java for development without a License from them? See, I believe so strongly that Google announced this support for Kotlin to remind Oracle that, Hey, are you aware that there are actually other languages available for Android Development? And also to remind them that Android is the reason for Java current existence. You will agree with me that, if not for Android, Java is as good as dead since 5 years ago, even though it's still been used for wearables, TVs and so on.
But this is not the right way to do it. Let's take a look at what Apple did to Objective C when they chose Swift as the official language for iOS development. They made it crystal clear.
Take a look:

Microsoft: C#
Apple: Swift
Google: Java, Kotlin, C++, GO, Dart

Google really need to work hard on this programming language issue and stand out like her mates.

Having said these. I have an advice for anyone who wants to delve into Android Development as a career path:

1. If you are just a beginner who wants to start Android Development, I will advise you to go the Java route. In this regard, you will have access to lots of resources which will aid your ease of learning. You will definitely learn Java much easier than you would in Kotlin because of the large number of the community, and you will easily get lots of Libraries to develop arguably anything you want. Kotlin will definitely get to that level of resources but at least it will take up to the next 4 - 6 years. Believe me, Java is going no where soon. Java will always be there at least for the next decade. It's still the industry standard until we hear a more solid and convincing announcement from Google.

2. If you have been developing Android Apps with Java, I urge you to give Kotlin a trial since it's much easier to learn/migrate to with your Java knowledge, and may be someday it will become the only official language for Android Development. Just saying...

Mobile Development (may be Artificial Intelligence in the next decade) is the future of technology; Embrace it with love, and the next generation will be proud of you.

#LetsBeFrankWithIT

http://frankappweb.com/google-announces-official-support-kotlin-android-development/
Re: All You Need To Know As Google Announces Official Support For Kotlin In Android by SilverG33k(m): 8:57pm On May 31, 2017
Change is consistent but though, I'm new to android development but with the little I've known, I already love Java even more than php(the basics), so in my own opinion, Kotlin will scare the java core developers and it will not be easy if Google just announces Kotlin as their official language.

On the other note, JetBrains are really doing stuffs oh, my only love at first sight I have ever experienced is using JetBrains phpStorm, mehn that software is the best IDE for php.

My take on this is that, I am currently working on an android game to be released soon and I'm writing with Java, I won't learn Kotlin's "hello world" not until I am through with my app(that's 2 - 3 months from now). So when I'm through, I'll play around with some Kotlin babes to stay on top of my game. Cheers
Re: All You Need To Know As Google Announces Official Support For Kotlin In Android by adenuga558(m): 11:15pm On May 31, 2017
I still love java I don't know kotlin ooo
Re: All You Need To Know As Google Announces Official Support For Kotlin In Android by chigozie391(m): 7:49am On Jun 01, 2017
SilverG33k:
Change is consistent but though, I'm new to android development but with the little I've known, I already love Java even more than php(the basics), so in my own opinion, Kotlin will scare the java core developers and it will not be easy if Google just announces Kotlin as their official language.

On the other note, JetBrains are really doing stuffs oh, my only love at first sight I have ever experienced is using JetBrains phpStorm, mehn that software is the best IDE for php.

My take on this is that, I am currently working on an android game to be released soon and I'm writing with Java, I won't learn Kotlin's "hello world" not until I am through with my app(that's 2 - 3 months from now). So when I'm through, I'll play around with some Kotlin babes to stay on top of my game. Cheers
can I have ur whatsap contact. Have a fee question for you
Re: All You Need To Know As Google Announces Official Support For Kotlin In Android by SilverG33k(m): 2:03pm On Jun 01, 2017
chigozie391:
can I have ur whatsap contact. Have a fee question for you
Unfortunately, I'm not on whatsapp, I can call you tho, I have like 500+ on my etisalat line so just drop your number, my number is not always avail but if you insist, 08186565170

(1) (Reply)

The Website Called Codefight / All You Need To Know About Javascript Before Learning It. / What Can I Do With Fortran Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.