Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer (1417 Views)

From An Ignorant Novice To A Learner (still Learning) / Indian Man Scams Phone Buyer In Lagos / Who's Willing To Help Out? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by Achievement: 6:55pm On May 31, 2017
So I just got hooked up with this guy who wants to sell me a used iPhone at a very cheap price but now what I'm hearing is that I'll also pay the guy 1,500 to setup icloud for me on 'his' laptop how true is this cause I know icloud is all about protecting your phone incase of loss and all that stuff please tell me guys how does this thing work
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by Nobody: 6:58pm On May 31, 2017
Achievement:
So I just got hooked up with this guy who wants to sell me a used iPhone at a very cheap price but now what I'm hearing is that I'll also pay the guy 1,500 to setup icloud for me on 'his' laptop how true is this cause I know icloud is all about protecting your phone incase of loss and all that stuff please tell me guys how does this thing work
Are you sure it's not a stolen item or collected from kidnapped victims.... Are you sure the police are not tracking the phone? If it sounds too good to be true then most times it's false
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by JeffreyJamez(m): 7:36pm On May 31, 2017
You better be very careful when buying a used iPhone.
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by Achievement: 8:07pm On May 31, 2017
Thanks for the advice chairmen them but if I dey fear to buy phone so as I nor come fit afford new one wetin man go do..... besides I heard if he can log out of his icloud account that means it's his own and not stolen.
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 31, 2017
Achievement:
Thanks for the advice chairmen them but if I dey fear to buy phone so as I nor come fit afford new one wetin man go do..... besides I heard if he can log out of his icloud account that means it's his own and not stolen.
Buy a new phone. And sleep easy.
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:41pm On May 31, 2017
You must go with someone who is knowledgeable with IPhones, to make sure it isn't a fake iPhone.... There are many good looking fake IPhone out there and only someone who already had one can verify that its genuine.

As for Icloud, this is rubbish, so long as the phone isn't logged on to Icloud then that same friend (you bring along) caN Set it up fOR you FOR FREE

Btw: NEVER ever let a seller set up Icloud for you....

1 Like

Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by Ishilove: 8:52pm On May 31, 2017
JeffreyJamez:
You better be very careful when buying a used iPhone.
Why?
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:26pm On May 31, 2017
Ishilove:

Why?

Because most of the time these phones are stolen.And iPhones are one of the easiest mobiles to track. And also if you​ buy an iPhone that is icloud locked (which is often the case) the phone is as good as useless to you.

I know of a guy who is cooling off in prison because of an iPhone that he bought. Both him and who sold it to him were arrested because the original owner of the phone was killed when it was stolen. And you know your Nigerian police lol.
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:29pm On May 31, 2017
Achievement:

How much is this phone going for if I may ask?
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by Ishilove: 9:46pm On May 31, 2017
JeffreyJamez:

Because most of the time these phones are stolen.And iPhones are one of the easiest mobiles to track. And also if you​ buy an iPhone that is icloud locked (which is often the case) the phone is as good as useless to you.

I know of a guy who is cooling off in prison because of an iPhone that he bought. Both him and who sold it to him were arrested because the original owner of the phone was killed when it was stolen. And you know your Nigerian police lol.
What do we look out for when buy a new iphone?
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:01pm On May 31, 2017
Ishilove:

First of all,if you want to buy a new iPhone, go to a reputable and we'll recognised store. I usually advice people that want to get new iPhones to go to the Apple store at ICM in Lagos or Slot. Besides it's new so there is really nothing to look out for lol

On the other hand, when buying a used iPhone, you should check this important things.

1.Verify the IMEI Number from Both the Body and Software.It’s possible that the iPhone you’re buying has a replaced body. That means you don’t know what it’s been through. It might have been submerged in water or it could have survived a bad fall.Even though the exterior might look new and shiny, the internals could have a whole different story to tell.On the back of the iPhone you’ll see the IMEI number. Compare it with the one in the OS. Go to Settings -> General -> About, swipe down to IMEI, and compare them yourself.

2 is Activation lock.If the iPhone you’re buying has Find my iPhone turned on and still has the previous owner’s Apple ID linked, you won’t be able to do anything with it. It won’t allow you to set up your own ID or restore it without the old password.It might just be that the last owner was sloppy or it could be a stolen iPhone. Either way, it’s useless to you now.You can do two things to make sure it doesn’t happen to you.If you have the iPhone in working condition go to Settings -> iCloud and turn off Find my iPhone.If you can’t access the device for some reason, go to Apple’s online Activation Lock tool and type in the device’s IMEI number. This will tell you if the device has enabled Find my iPhone or not.

3. Check if the IMEI of the phone is blocked. There are online tools for that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:31pm On May 31, 2017
Ishilove:

You just need to make sure that the previous owner isn't logged on phone's ICloud, and if it is, then the seller needs to logout with their passwords.
Buying a phone that is iCloud blocked is as good as garbage (or spare parts)

Then put your own sim and make a phone call
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by henry007(m): 11:34pm On May 31, 2017
Achievement:

If you're not buying a new iPhone and you're not knowledgable about iPhones then i suggest you get on youtube and search for "how to tell a real iPhone from a fake"

watch at leas 5 videos and make your own list of what to check. good luck!
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by Achievement: 11:52pm On May 31, 2017
JeffreyJamez:

How much is this phone going for if I may ask?

Bros if you hear the price you sef go fear 'fear' oooooo 60k for iPhone 6
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by Ishilove: 12:04am On Jun 01, 2017
MrBrownJay1:

You just need to make sure that the previous owner isn't logged on phone's ICloud, and if it is, then the seller needs to logout with their passwords.
Buying a phone that is iCloud blocked is as good as garbage (or spare parts)

Then put your own sim and make a phone call
Thanks
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by Ishilove: 12:04am On Jun 01, 2017
JeffreyJamez:

First of all,if you want to buy a new iPhone, go to a reputable and we'll recognised store. I usually advice people that want to get new iPhones to go to the Apple store at ICM in Lagos or Slot. Besides it's new so there is really nothing to look out for lol

On the other hand, when buying a used iPhone, you should check this important things.

1.Verify the IMEI Number from Both the Body and Software.It’s possible that the iPhone you’re buying has a replaced body. That means you don’t know what it’s been through. It might have been submerged in water or it could have survived a bad fall.Even though the exterior might look new and shiny, the internals could have a whole different story to tell.On the back of the iPhone you’ll see the IMEI number. Compare it with the one in the OS. Go to Settings -> General -> About, swipe down to IMEI, and compare them yourself.

2 is Activation lock.If the iPhone you’re buying has Find my iPhone turned on and still has the previous owner’s Apple ID linked, you won’t be able to do anything with it. It won’t allow you to set up your own ID or restore it without the old password.It might just be that the last owner was sloppy or it could be a stolen iPhone. Either way, it’s useless to you now.You can do two things to make sure it doesn’t happen to you.If you have the iPhone in working condition go to Settings -> iCloud and turn off Find my iPhone.If you can’t access the device for some reason, go to Apple’s online Activation Lock tool and type in the device’s IMEI number. This will tell you if the device has enabled Find my iPhone or not.

3. Check if the IMEI of the phone is blocked. There are online tools for that.
Thanks, you've been very helpful smiley

1 Like

Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by flashback79: 2:20am On Jun 01, 2017
can anyone help me..

I have iphone 6s that was given to me by my friend from London 1 year ago, the phone is icloud lock, can anybody help me for a legit website who has a service to unlock icloud lock? I am from the philippines...
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by raker300: 6:06am On Jun 01, 2017
Achievement:
take the phone and go to the "settings". If it's the latest iOS, a picture of the owner will show on top of the settings page.

If it's an older iOS, go to "general" in the settings menu. Look for "iCloud" there. If an email is not already there, you're on the clear.

No such this as 1500 to set up iCloud. You can do it yourself. The guy just one chop you
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:25am On Jun 01, 2017
Achievement:

Bros if you hear the price you sef go fear 'fear' oooooo 60k for iPhone 6

You better run.
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:26am On Jun 01, 2017
flashback79:
can anyone help me..

I have iphone 6s that was given to me by my friend from London 1 year ago, the phone is icloud lock, can anybody help me for a legit website who has a service to unlock icloud lock? I am from the philippines...

Why didn't you ask your friend for the password?
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:27am On Jun 01, 2017
Ishilove:

Thanks, you've been very helpful smiley

You're welcome smiley
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by Decale: 9:20am On Jun 01, 2017
flashback79:
can anyone help me..

Unlocking that iPhone iCloud is as good as buying a new/used one.

Ask your friend for the details
Re: Help Out A Novice Iphone Buyer by Bossman(m): 1:50pm On Jun 01, 2017
Used Iphones are just difficult to buy period! Even here in the US. First of all, there is no reason why the seller should be setting up Icloud for you. That in itself sounds fishy! As others said, you need to verify that the device is clean and is not icloud locked. My advice...do not buy it if it sounds too good to be true. No be buy force to use iphone. I personally can't stand all the nonesense associated with the device anyway. I just like the itunes interface. So my old Iphone 4 just sits in my car as a music player.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Advice On The Price Of This Phone And How To Purchase It / 10% Off Home Electronics - Black Friday Deals / Solar Panel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.