Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,605 members, 7,801,764 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:12 PM

Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? (32426 Views)

215 Bag First Class As Covenant University Graduates 1,580 / Covenant University Graduates 238 First Class Honours Students / Olumide Akinyemi Bags First Class From Finnish University, Graduates As The Best (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by DilaRocks: 2:22am On Jun 01, 2017
Please Is This True About Private Universities?

Good morning everyone, please Is it true that if one attends a private University if not covenant that it will be hard getting a job later on in future as most companies only accept graduates from good public universities and then for private if not covenant universe then forget it?

I am asking this question because I didn't pass this year's jamb so I decided to enroll in a private University around my region, Delta state, the University is western delta university but lots of people discouraging me that private uni is only good for girls and not boys, to make matter worst my sisters said most good paying company only accept graduates from covenant only if it's not public uni,

please I need advise from experienced ones here, if I enroll in this private uni will I have a hard time securing a job later on in future?
Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by Opistorincos(m): 5:55am On Jun 01, 2017
It is a blatant lie, forget about institution ownership and all that, what matters is your Bsc and what you have in your head. You also need to be close to God, once all these are in place, you are good to go.

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:00am On Jun 01, 2017
Erm Sir, that is not true. I don't know about south south private universities but here in the South West quite a number of private universities are giving the public universities a run for their money. However, even though I am an alumnus of a private university I would tell you to be very weary of many private universities especially ones not owned by religious organizations for so many reasons I can't begin to list here. In reputation there are very few reputable private universities in Nigeria but I assure you that CU alongside Babcock University, American University of Nigeria, Redeemers(influence of the Church) and ABUAD are quite respected in Lagos. Landmark is also very good-however if you are going to choose any of the above listed institutions please check their cut off marks(because they've become more stringent) and tuition.

Finally, just like the poster above me said here in Naija there are many factors that determines ones employability-the school you attended is not high on that list. You just find a good private university and attend if you must. By the way what is your score sef?

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by TheVictorious(m): 9:59am On Jun 01, 2017
OP, the issue you should really be concerned about is not whether or not the school is private or public, but whether the institution is standard. Believe me there are many schools out there that are substandard, both private and public, that don't even meet the basic requirement to be called a university in the 21st century. Just that the public ones among them have better reputation, due to public sentiment, so don't allow anybody pull the wool over your face. I wouldn't choose any particular school for you, but if your choice is private, the standard ones I know of are not much; Covenant University (CU), Afe Babalola University of Adoekiti (ABUAD) and American University of Nigeria (AUN). You may also want to consider Babcock University (BU), depending on your preferred course of study. Good luck!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by TheVictorious(m): 10:00am On Jun 01, 2017
Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Dominique; Please help this guy get other peoples opinion. Thanks!
Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by ibkgab001: 11:54am On Jun 01, 2017
Try bowen

5 Likes

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by Josh44s(m): 11:54am On Jun 01, 2017
DilaRocks:
Please Is This True About Private Universities?

Good morning everyone, please Is it true that if one attends a private University if not covenant that it will be hard getting a job later on in future as most companies only accept graduates from good public universities and then for private if not covenant universe then forget it?

I am asking this question because I didn't pass this year's jamb so I decided to enroll in a private University around my region, Delta state, the University is western delta university but lots of people discouraging me that private uni is only good for girls and not boys, to make matter worst my sisters said most good paying company only accept graduates from covenant only if it's not public uni,

please I need advise from experienced ones here, if I enroll in this private uni will I have a hard time securing a job later on in future?

Graduating from Covenant or Bowen university doesn't guarantee you a job. Right now it's not even about having an MSc degree in this country. The country is fvcked up. Except you are from an influencial home then your getting a job is sure. If you are from an average home likes me then you better pray for a miracle to get a job in this dying country after you graduate.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by Sharon6(f): 11:55am On Jun 01, 2017
Blatant lie.

GET RID OF STRETCH MARKS, CHECK MY SIGNATURE!
Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by takenadoh: 11:56am On Jun 01, 2017
I have no idea.
I schooled in France

1 Like

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:57am On Jun 01, 2017

1 Like

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:57am On Jun 01, 2017
iti! ordinary jamb. after you will be claiming levels for us.
Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by Adonike(m): 11:57am On Jun 01, 2017
Let me check..

For where
They go even rush u self because they would understand that u are not there base on the salary but to render unreserved service to them.

U don see any pauper for private uni before??

3 Likes

Even those who had first class from good public universities have it difficult securing a job.
My guy,for the common man like us the race isnt to the swift or the battle to the strong but time and chance happens to all.

3 Likes

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by Lyoncrescent: 11:57am On Jun 01, 2017
To be honest, this public vs private uni debate is far drawn. My simple advice is try and get quality professional certificates in your field. Some public universities will swear they have the best LAW faculties yet when they meet babcock law students in Law school, they discover they are also equally good. If you go to babcock or unilag to study accounting, try your best to have your ICAN or ACCA by the time you graduate. Same thing with professional IT certifications. Gone are the days employers have perception towards particular universities. Now its about your individual abilities and qualifications. I work with brilliant graduates from Adeleke university and Joseph Ayo Babalola university just like i have colleagues from Ambrose Ali University and IMSU who are also brilliant and good at what they do.

In conclusion,every university in Nigeria is below par. Take any subject field in the world and No Nigerian university is in the top 30 in any field. That alone says all universities are crap here and thus only individual abilities matter. It is as bad as the admission process. Do you know that if you are in the UK and you want to do a Masters degree in UNILAG, you must physically come to Nigeria to write exam and do other things ?Whereas if you are in Nigeria and want to do masters in UK, all na online things. Even babcocks website is one of the worst university websites known to man and last i checked it used a run down theme with 2015 listed at the bottom of the website. No information on research being done, faculty and departmental information and other things all missing. God help us.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by Swiftlee(m): 11:57am On Jun 01, 2017
Where the problem comes in is majorly MBBS. The hard truth is, Doctors from private universities are not too regarded where Doctors from public universities are especially in job placement. There are exceptions though.

1 Like

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by bid4rich(m): 11:57am On Jun 01, 2017
My dear, forget that fallacy. Though Covenant university is a good school yet not all of them excel in their professions. I know of a guy that graduated from Covenant university and still have no bearing after 6 years. So, it is not the university, it is YOU

If you know what you are doing the university you attended notwithstanding.

Focus on your life

Focus on your vision and mission

Be an entrepreneur

Take advantage of lazy people and use them as a stepping stone.

After-all everything is about making a living and most importantly be a problem solver.

Your certificate irrespective of where you got it from (be it Harvard University) is not subject to what you can do, it is you that determine what you can do.

Therefore, Get a degree and be sure you add wisdom to your degree

God speed and God bless

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by sheedy407(m): 11:58am On Jun 01, 2017
Include Madonna University

If you can make 2nd Class Upper,then you are genius.

I believe good companies only search for such uni's like Covenant, Babcock, Madonna, Abti, Redeemers certificates.

9 Likes

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by LordOfNaira: 11:58am On Jun 01, 2017
Opistorincos:
It is a blatant lie, forget about institution ownership and all that, what matters is your Bsc and what you have in your head. You also need to be close to God, once all these are in place, you are good to go.

Don't mislead the young man. There are a lot of useless private universities in the country. It is not just about the BSc.

6 Likes

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by femo122: 11:58am On Jun 01, 2017
Private university are better than public university. Don't mention me

1 Like

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by viqueta(m): 11:58am On Jun 01, 2017
Your school doesn't guarantee you a JOB rather, your intelligence,skills and God's favor mixed with strong connection does
Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by Kestolove(m): 11:59am On Jun 01, 2017
u'v said it all mr OP...u dint pass jamb but u got enrol into private university...dat aint possible in public uni....but wait, yhose wey go public university, how many of dem don gt work?

1 Like

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by babablogger: 11:59am On Jun 01, 2017
My sis did a Micro biology in a private university after that she tried doing nursing with her bsc in MCB in Canada guess what?

The Canadian institution only recognised 3 private uni in Nigeria covenant, babcock and bell

Just make your plans well

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by viqueta(m): 11:59am On Jun 01, 2017
sheedy407:
Include Madonna Un
and CARITAS UNI

3 Likes

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by AlNur: 12:00pm On Jun 01, 2017
Opistorincos:
stop the deception! private university graduates finds it hard to secure job in Nigeria labour market unlike their public counterpart.

1 Like

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by drlaykay(m): 12:01pm On Jun 01, 2017
It's is naturally difficult to get a job in Nigeria, so it's a big truth..

But it depends on the field..
Engineering and medicals are difficult especially when u have no experience.
Another important factor is the employers mindset towards different schools

2 Likes

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by Diplomaticbeing(m): 12:02pm On Jun 01, 2017
@OP

It's only those who do mistakes suffering for industriousness that holds such whack opinion.
Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by hobermener: 12:02pm On Jun 01, 2017
F
Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by dustydee: 12:03pm On Jun 01, 2017
Not true, but be careful the university you go to as not all of them are up to scratch. Babcock is one very good private university I know and their graduates are employed in companies around the country.

1 Like

Re: Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jun 01, 2017
The France People are coming back.

Not true the only thing that count in the Labour Market here in France is your class of degree.
Example of you graduate from that your unknown University with First class you will get better job than a graduate of Unilag or UI, or Unimaid or ABU or UNN.
Fact.

takenadoh:
I have no idea.
I schooled in France

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian PHD Students Stranded In UK (Photos) / See This Ss1 Mathematics Questions / Delsu Post Ume Cut Off Mark

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.