Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,897 members, 7,798,999 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a (5762 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / Lol… Another Nigerian Man Seen Eating Pounded Yam In U.S Train / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by nattyspice: 3:43pm On Jan 18, 2010
i am a 34 year old trailer driver living in abuja and thinking of migrating to u.s.a.i intend applying for tourist visit,if succesfull fly to usa,look for work as a trailer driver,come back to nigeria and apply for a work visa.pls any one with information about truckdriving in usa or canada should advice me before icommit resources on my mission
Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by niceguy10: 12:22am On Jan 19, 2010
Poster, Driving work in US is very good and the pay is interesting as well, a friend of mine is there and he is liveing very Big now. But the broblem is how to get to the States.
Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by poosyfaka(m): 1:39am On Jan 19, 2010
@ nattyspice (the poster)
first: its not trailer driving;in this country(usa) its called:truck driving.
as far as getting admitted to the program or even working with your tourrist visa;forget about it. you cant work in the usa without a social security number.which is only assigned to legal immigrants or potential immigrants.unless you intend to work under the tables for a company that knows you.or you have your connections.

to drive any commercial vehicle or semi-trucks you will need a CDL.(commercial driver's licence). to get it you need to go to the dmv or state (depends on which states in the usa). yo will have to pass a 2 parts exam:written and pratice.

the truck driving schools have classes that run for 5-6 weeks and they cost 5000 us dollars minimum (tuition). you have 2 options to pay for it:

1- out of your pocket ( check,cash or credit card)
2-they can contact a transportation company and pre-secure a job for you.the company will pay for your training and hire you to re-train you for up to 8 weeks.if they like you and you prove yourself, then the company will reduce your pay check to get their money back (tuition).

3 Likes

Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by poosyfaka(m): 1:48am On Jan 19, 2010
part two. sorry for being so long.

when you have your cdl and a secure job, you will have many options with the transportation company:

1- over the road: this means that they will send all over the usa fro at least 6 weeks.picking and delivering loads.
advantages of this: you get to live in the truck;saving you money as you wont have to pay rent and other bills that kill us in this country. you can save money like crazy.
dangers: you are always tempted to pick a hooker (prostitute); which can coast you alot if the police catches u. also you dont get to see friends and family that much.

2-regional: this means,you are home every weekend but monday morning you are off the road in your region.a region can be 4 -8states that you serve.pick up and drop

3-daily: you can work for a local company.you are home every day.work 8-11 hrs a day. most start their pay at 17.00hrs per hour.

the two first options are paid per mileage.so you make more money but litterally live in the truck.
i have a friend from cameroon who did this for 2 years. it was hard but after 2 years he bought his own truck,paid for his wife and kids to join him and he lives good.thats how i know much about this carreer

sorry for posting long stuff .

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by suxes2005(m): 10:40am On Jan 19, 2010
u av done a very good job
i hope d poster will find it good

SHALOM

2 Likes

Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by darkman200: 5:46pm On Jan 19, 2010
work visa for truck driving? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin i don't think that falls into the category of profession that work visas can be issued for. However Truck drivers in the U.S make good money

1 Like

Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by elderly: 1:12am On Jan 20, 2010
My friend. to pack shit u need license not to talk of you not having proper working documents.
Who go come give u job.
Or do u listen to the stories that if you have muscles of power you will get job.

1 Like

Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by suxes2005(m): 1:34am On Jan 20, 2010
elderly:

My friend. to pack poo u need license not to talk of you not having proper working documents.
Who go come give u job.
Or do u listen to the stories that if you have muscles of power you will get job.

He neva said he aint gonna apply for license na

He needs good info as per hw to go about it

SHALOM
Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by igbonla(m): 3:34am On Jan 20, 2010
poosy_faka:

part two. sorry for being so long.

when you have your cdl and a secure job, you will have many options with the transportation company:

1- over the road: this means that they will send all over the usa fro at least 6 weeks.picking and delivering loads.
advantages of this: you get to live in the truck;saving you money as you wont have to pay rent and other bills that kill us in this country. you can save money like crazy.
dangers: you are always tempted to pick a hooker (love-peddler); which can coast you alot if the police catches u. also you dont get to see friends and family that much.

2-regional: this means,you are home every weekend but monday morning you are off the road in your region.a region can be 4 -8states that you serve.pick up and drop

3-daily: you can work for a local company.you are home every day.work 8-11 hrs a day. most start their pay at 17.00hrs per hour.

the two first options are paid per mileage.so you make more money but litterally live in the truck.
i have a friend from cameroon who did this for 2 years. it was hard but after 2 years he bought his own truck,paid for his wife and kids to join him and he lives good.thats how i know much about this carreer

sorry for posting long stuff .

Definitely one of the best responses on NL; thanks for educating the poster.

5 Likes

Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by suxes2005(m): 8:03am On Jan 20, 2010
@ possy_faka,

you av done a gr8 job.

Keep postin more infos here

SHALOM

2 Likes

Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by nattyspice: 1:43pm On Jan 20, 2010
thanks to my fellow nairalanders for the positive responce, and to you hadexman if insulting strangers on this forum is the sole reason why live on this planet,then carry go.Special thanks to you POOSY FAKA,we need serioz people like you on Nairaland ,once more to you guys
Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by suxes2005(m): 4:32pm On Jan 20, 2010
so natty

did u find d infos useful?

what are ur resolutions now?

SHALOM
Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by nattyspice: 6:13pm On Jan 22, 2010
yes i am still waiting for my invitation,i am applying for a tourist visa ,if successful i will fly over to u.s.a and check out things my self.i am not going to overstay my visa
Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by suxes2005(m): 7:43pm On Jan 22, 2010
Aight nattyspice.

wish u success

SHALOM
Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by Kafin(m): 12:58am On Feb 01, 2010
@Nattyspice,

Truck-driving is not on the list of jobs in which the western nations are having a hard time finding people, and as a result there is no laid down process that you can follow to use this for immigration purposes. Discuss your goal thoroughly with your friend (or the person getting you the letter of invitation) and be sure that s/he will be able to help before you travel.

The average Nigerian Truck-driver is said to be an illiterate, you obviously are a good command of english! Let me know if you are the owner of your company.

I will like to know what it takes to be a Truck-driver in Nigeria; the training process, getting the driver's license, joining the drivers association - the whole process. I will also appreciate your comments on Truck servicing in Nigeria on this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-370035.0.html

Thanks.
Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by NordicRace: 1:02am On Feb 01, 2010
You can not look for work in america unless you have an american heavy goods vehicle licence.
Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by babajej: 8:46am On Feb 10, 2022
Most of you who say you cannot work as a trailer truck driver are not correct.
Getting the CDL A license ain't really difficult.
I personally know at least 3 person doing that now, one even resigned as a pilot to truck! After just over a year he currently is an owner operator with 2 trucks of his own, 1 is a Peterbilt nine car loader and the other a freightliner.
The only 2 possible routes are as the earlier commenter said, you have to be invited by an employer in the USA and even so they must make a good case as to why it makes better business sense to employ a foreigner. If approved you get a work visa and your career starts.
The other is to go attend a driving school, one that has rated truck driving job placement programs. If you can pay for the tuition.

Still I've read about lots of foreigners who have been able to achieve their dream of becoming a trucker in the USA.
I recommend Asia mai muthatruckers youtube channel. You'll learn a lot.

It is a dream I'm also currently pursuing too.
I wish you Godspeed!���

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by shabashola(f): 9:56am On Feb 10, 2022
My people can someone who does not know how to read and write migrate and get a job as a trucker?
Re: Any Nigerian With Infomation About Trailer Driving In U.s.a by ArkofNoah3004: 9:39pm On Apr 09, 2023
Am presently learning truck Driver in Nigeria. Which best way to relocate to USA and get more training and start working
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Why Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Listening To Phrankleen / My Experience At God Is Good Transport Company Today(4/12/15) / This Is What Brazilian Bathroom Slippers Look Like(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.