Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,801 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety (15671 Views)

COVID-19: Anxiety In Edo Over 110 Travelers From Kano, Rivers / Turbulence In The Plane As Passengers Actually The Pilot To Turn Back To Lagos / Turbulence During A Local Flight Turned Almost Everyone Into Prayer Warrior(vid) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by PotatoSalad(m): 2:56pm On Jun 02, 2017
Who Turbulence epp? Plug in and Listen to O Fortuna, Turn Down For What by Dj snake or Wiggle by Jason Derulo. You'll feel badass like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible or Vin Diesel in FF8 gringrin
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by newslifeop: 2:57pm On Jun 02, 2017
Play games on the plane
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by kjhova(m): 2:58pm On Jun 02, 2017
BedLam:
Turbulence get level. Even frequent fliers get scared when shit hits roof.

It depends on the flyer's state of mind and fear threshold.

I was once in terrible turbulence over Abuja which kept us in the air for additional one hour for a 50minutes flight. The cabin was tense with massive prayer warring and loud praise signing to God by most passengers in unison. A particular brother to the back of the plane kept screeming "We shall not dieeee!!" forever!

Noticeably, the only people that seemed unmoved and calm (from my view where I sat) was me, my buddy who sat besides me, a European in the front and 2 Indian guys adjacent us. I am atheist and my buddy was agnostic and he was reading a book by Robert Ludlum about a guy reading reading a book on a plane that crashed! We had a good laugh at the hysteria of the wailing Nigerians begging god to save them. I knew that aircrash is an extremely rare outcome of turbulence and also knew enough to realise that should the 1% chance of crash over rocky Abuja happen, it will be a quick death and no prayer will bring anyone out alive.

Ces't la vie...in the mentality of a fatalist.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by wayodude(m): 3:06pm On Jun 02, 2017
One day one day I go follow enter plane grin
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by wiringdpt(m): 3:09pm On Jun 02, 2017
The only time I'm concerned about turbulence is when I'm flying domestic but flying outside the country na my drink I dey care for. I hate wasting alcohol.
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jun 02, 2017
caprini1:
Turbulence will make you pray like Elijah and humble you.I wish all this Afonja,Ipob and abooki screamers on NL can be placed in a warri bound Arik propeller airplane with heavy turbulence for just 2hrs ....their brains will reset.
grin cheesy

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by kudosamass(m): 3:30pm On Jun 02, 2017
Anxiety does not solve any problem. What will be will be. Turbulence during flights will always occur once in in while, but the simplest way to stay calm is to quickly reset your brain assuring it that turbulence in itself does not cause air mishap. Then if you are the beer type, you keep sipping your beer.
Meanwhile, search and book cheap flights here: www.travelstart.com.ng/?affId=207734
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by bonifieldstun(m): 4:14pm On Jun 02, 2017
smoke weed then u go for ya flight u will be in space during the flight TRUST ME

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by wine4dguy: 4:40pm On Jun 02, 2017
From my knowledge of aerodynamics and flight stability and applying it to the case of turbulence... First of all try to understand what turbulence is, it is a state of instability of the aeroelastic aspect of flight. In a lay man's sense it is a gyration of the flight and control surfaces. To overcome this intermittent gyration by a passenger you will have to use your ears by raising your head ie rest your head and face up , remember the functions of the ears from primary school days the ear is used for balancing that is why turbulence is likely to cause your ear to have an awkward feel ) this is due to pressurisation and your foot for mass stability. Don't mind my engineering terms but hope you understand
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by mriyesecnerwal(m): 4:41pm On Jun 02, 2017
just like one chinko woman who sat beside me yesterday from abuja to lagos, on landing she was holding tight to her seat, heads towards the ground and im like shogun laiye ni?
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by parisbluefox: 4:56pm On Jun 02, 2017
There's no getting used to it. I travel at least twice a month by air and I've still not been able to get over that feeling. What I do most times is this: I try to drink as much alcohol as I can handle to help me fall asleep.

flawlessT:
Easy said than done ... I just think its normal and wen u use to it, you will be calm

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by Meetleader: 4:56pm On Jun 02, 2017
frenchwine:
For those of us who have never entered a plane,and can't relate with the thread come over to my canopy, you're not alone, dont famz with them!
We would get there one day. grin

sure you would bro...
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by donodion(m): 5:33pm On Jun 02, 2017
Opinionated:

The frustrating thing about flight turbulence is how suddenly they occur, completely without warning. Thankfully, there are ways to overcome the anxiety that comes when these sudden flight turbulence hits. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 5 ways to overcome the anxiety that comes with flight turbulence.

Increase Your Pool of Knowledge

Fear is intensified when the object of your fear remains a mystery. Therefore, it’s important you avoid ‘what if?’ thoughts by reading up on flight turbulence, its causes, potential dangers and the likely risks associated with it. Know all you can about planes and how they are designed to handle turbulence. When you understand the phenomenon, it’ll be much easier to manage and overcome.

Remind Yourself That Fear is Separate From Danger

The fact that you’re afraid doesn’t actually mean you’re in danger, you need to be able to separate the two to successfully overcome anxiety. Remind yourself that feeling anxious doesn’t mean you’re in danger, it just means you’re feeling anxious. You’re safe even if you’re feeling intense anxiety. Besides, why remain negative when you can be positive. Stop fueling your fears and anxieties.

Try To Outsmart Anxiety

Anxiety tricks your mind into thinking you’re in danger when you’re perfectly safe. Following your emotions at that point will only reinforce your anxiety and very likely make you hysterical. As a rule, you should learn to do the opposite of what those anxious feelings are telling you to do (even when you’re still feeling anxious). You’ll be surprised at how effective this will be in helping to overcoming anxiety.

Figure Out What Soothes You When Anxious

Is it talking to someone? Is it reading a book? Is it listening to music? Is it praying? Is it meditating? Figure it out. Once you know what soothes you when you’re anxious, you can do that thing to help calm you in those times.

Be Patient

Over time, you’ll actually get used to flight turbulence and remain unfazed when they occur. Besides, after a while you’ll eventually get tired of jumping in fear at every flight turbulence; you’ll get tired of being fearful. Be patient with yourself because every flight provides you with an opportunity to make the next one easier (if it helps and you’re the religious type, you can pray as often as you can for a safe flight and commit it to the hands of the One you trust). Your brain will eventually become less sensitized to the triggers that set you off and flight turbulence will cease to become an anxiety trigger for you.

source: http://www.opinions.ng/overcome-flight-turbulence-anxiety/

cc: lalasticlala mynd44

What have always worked for me during turbulence and sudden height drop in air 33,000 feet above sea level is....I simply lean forward towards the seat in front. It ease the sense of despair during such episodes. Try it.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by crisycent: 5:53pm On Jun 02, 2017
Shaking my legs works for me because my body becomes unstable and it's easy to beat turbulence.
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by claremont(m): 6:21pm On Jun 02, 2017
Red wine works very well. grin
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by engrelvis(m): 6:24pm On Jun 02, 2017
Op bone those tips abeg.who never go nor go know how far
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jun 02, 2017
Just ask for wine ...better still any liquor but double All will soon be forgotten!
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by kaydp: 6:31pm On Jun 02, 2017
Arian11:
just sleep it off seriously and also turbulence can never take down a plane ..take note
Trust me, it wasn't a funny experience. I thought the plane was going to go down. I wished I didn't embark on the journey.
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by Adminisher: 7:47pm On Jun 02, 2017
Think of the plane as a plastic balll floating on water. This is actually a slightly accurate model. Only difference is that air takes the place of the waterand the plane is the ball
So the plastic ball will never go to the bottom of the bucket no matter how rough the water is. Same way it is difficult for ordinary turbulence to crash the plane.
The only turbulence that crashes a plane is the one that tears it apart in the air .
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by Adminisher: 7:51pm On Jun 02, 2017
donodion:

What have always worked for me during turbulence and sudden height drop in air 33,000 feet above sea level is....I simply lean forward towards the seat in front. It ease the sense of despair during such episodes. Try it.

Or push your head down to wards your knees

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by madridsta007(m): 9:11pm On Jun 02, 2017
Take your feet upwards, avoid having contact with the ground. While you are at it keep your mind firmly focused on something else; hard but possible.

Modern planes are built in a way which negates a fatal incident on the plane via tubulence; however, some turbulence comes with lightening and this can cause some discomfort. (I'll leave it at that)

Enjoy the flight!
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by flawlessT(f): 9:36pm On Jun 02, 2017
parisbluefox:
There's no getting used to it. I travel at least twice a month by air and I've still not been able to get over that feeling. What I do most times is this: I try to drink as much alcohol as I can handle to help me fall asleep.

That's about you as an individual anyway
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jun 02, 2017
bigfather:

I fear the thing like madddttttt......one of my greatest PHOBIA !

Are you sure you entered a plane or you just imagined yourself when James Bond was flying one. Sorry. Joking
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by Nobody: 1:00am On Jun 03, 2017
Ogbeni OP, it's easier said than done jo.
U never see turbulence wey go comot fart and shit from ya yansh at the same time grin
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by mecussey(m): 2:44am On Jun 03, 2017
Afonjashapmouth:
Once i am on my correct shayo at the departure lounge, if u like turn the plane to fighters jet i balance grin grin

yea bro....i usually get high b4 boarding
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by Greatbee: 5:43am On Jun 03, 2017
LOL. I remember after my first experience... I had sworn never to fly again grin grin ... now I just get on a plane like a taxi.
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by Whytebliss(f): 7:08am On Jun 03, 2017
Until then sha, I have serious phobia for heights....... But will sure fly some day..
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by bigfather(m): 8:18am On Jun 03, 2017
vicfuntop:

Are you sure you entered a plane or you just imagined yourself when James Bond was flying one. Sorry. Joking

grin grin
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by Nobody: 8:22am On Jun 03, 2017
bigfather:

grin grin

Awwh, you didn't abuse me. Oya sorry. #Maturity#
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by bigfather(m): 8:33am On Jun 03, 2017
vicfuntop:

Awwh, you didn't abuse me. Oya sorry. #Maturity#

cool
Re: 5 Ways To Overcome Flight Turbulence Anxiety by xamuell: 10:58am On Nov 14, 2019
There are greater flight horrors like passing over the Bermuda triangle or accidentally going through the south Atlantic anomaly. Experienced by only international travelers though. All the same, danger always lurks. " It a miracle we're alive because, everyday we live, we face 1000 WAYS TO DIE"

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Saudi Arabia Suspends Entry For Umrah Pilgrimage Over Coronavirus Fear / Every Taxi In Abuja Must Be Air-conditioned By October - FCTA / Major Traffic Jam Routes In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.