Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,433 members, 7,808,547 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu (1797 Views)

Construction Of NNS Karaduwa (P102): Nigeria's Second Indigenously Built Gunboat / Flagship, NNS Aradu Undergoes Repairs At The Naval Dockyard Lagos / Nigerian Navy Needs $250m To Refit ARADU - Ibas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by Nkemakonam62: 1:36pm On Jun 02, 2017
The Chief of Naval Staff (CNS), Vice Adm. Ibok-Ette Ibas, says the Nigerian Navy needs 250 million dollars to refit its war ship, NNS ARADU, for maritime operations.

Ibas, however, told journalists at the navy’s 61st anniversary celebrations in Lagos on Thursday that refitting NNS ARADU was not an option for now.
“To refit NNS ARADU, the nation would need over 250 million dollars and that is not what the navy can afford for now.

“We desire to have the ship at sea but as soon as the navy is properly funded, we should be able to refit that vessel and have it at sea,” he said.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that NNS ARADU is one of the three ships in the world with capabilities for simultaneous anti-air, anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare.
The ship also has capability for electronic warfare and naval fire support. Ibas said that the Federal Government had provided a lot for the navy but the navy still needed more.
“We all understand that the navy is an important service that protects the nation’s maritime resources and needs to be given special consideration. “A lot has been provided for the navy in a certain way so we have to work out other strategies to ensure that we are able to carry out our mandate,” he said.
According to him, the nation has faced a lot of ups and downs following series of attacks on national security infrastructure in the last few years.
“The consequences of which resulted to the drop in the nation’s revenue coming from oil but it was perfectly restored and we were able to contain the menace with the dedicated taskforce.
“To that extent, we have been able to provide the needed security at sea and we were able to contain the menace of militants and keep them away. “This is in addition to the dialogue initiated by the Federal Government.
“You are also conversant with the issue of piracy, which the navy has been able to contain with our credible presence at sea,” he said. Ibas added that in the last two years, the navy got some boats which were inaugurated by President Muhammadu Buhari.
“This is in addition to various infrastructural logistics and welfare to the officers and men,” the CNS said. The CNS condemned the bloody clash between navy and police men in Cross River, stating that the incident was being probed to bring the perpetrators to book.
more at http://www.akelicious.com/2017/06/navy-needs-250m-to-refit-nns-aradu.html

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by Rossikki: 1:38pm On Jun 02, 2017
$250 million? This man must be a thief.
Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by nextprince: 2:03pm On Jun 02, 2017
Rossikki:
$250 million? This man must be a thief.

The more complex a system is, the higher its cost of maintenance.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that NNS ARADU is one of the three ships in the world with capabilities for simultaneous anti-air, anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare.

Oga, he is not a thief. Ibas is one of the most focused, dedicated and result-oriented service chiefs this country has ever had.

2 Likes

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by brosiye99(m): 2:03pm On Jun 02, 2017
Haba. That ship is old na and that amount is too much to spend on a 35 year old ship. Why waste that kind of money to refit aradu when with that same 250Million USD you can buy a super brand new and improved frigate from germany or even a cheaper from china. Aradu should be turned into a training ship or retired totally. To even use it as an OPV will be too expensive cos it uses too much fuel and lubricants.
Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by SalamRushdie: 2:08pm On Jun 02, 2017
This man should be arrested for testing our intelligence in this manner ...A brand new Sigma design generation next frigate which comes with stealth ability ,latest in radar tecno, multiple smart cannons , torpedo and smart missile launchers , helicopter landing deck and a futuristic design cost 200 million dollar yet this man want to refurbish a second world War relic styled tiny frigate for a whooping 250 million dollars ::: what are we doing to ourselves in this country please
... please see pictures of a modern frigate the Indonesian govt purchased brand new for less than 220 million dollars

1 Like

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by nextprince: 2:11pm On Jun 02, 2017
brosiye99:
Haba. That ship is old na and that amount is too much to spend on a 35 year old ship. Why waste that kind of money to refit aradu when with that same 250Million USD you can buy a super brand new and improved frigate from germany or even a cheaper from china. Aradu should be turned into a training ship or retired totally. To even use it as an OPV will be too expensive cos it uses too much fuel and lubricants.

$250m for a frigate of NNS ARADU class? Are you for real? You are even suggesting "a super brand new" from Germany or China, do you know where NNS ARADU was built?

2 Likes

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by giles14(m): 2:43pm On Jun 02, 2017
price of a brand new ADMIRAL GORSHKOV CLASS
Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by brosiye99(m): 3:56pm On Jun 02, 2017
nextprince:

$250m for a frigate of NNS ARADU class? Are you for real? You are even suggesting "a super brand new" from Germany or China, do you know where NNS ARADU was built?

Yes i know. The frigate was manufactured in germany by blohm and voss and was purchased under shagari in the early 80's. You probably didnt understand me. I meant that with that 250million, you can buy a brand new frigate from germany or china rather than wasting that same amount in refitting a relic like aradu. To put this in perspective, the two new opv's we bought from china cost 53Million USD from China. Aradu should just be scrapped. It's time has passed. A brand new type 05A Frigate from china with full anti air, anti ship and anti submarine capabilities costs just a little over 200 million so it beats me why the Chief of Naval staff will be contemplating refitting that aradu.
Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by nextprince: 4:21pm On Jun 02, 2017
brosiye99:

Yes i know. The frigate was manufactured in germany by blohm and voss and was purchased under shagari in the early 80's. You probably didnt understand me. I meant that with that 250million, you can buy a brand new frigate from germany or china rather than wasting that same amount in refitting a relic like aradu. To put this in perspective, the two new opv's we bought from china cost 53Million USD from China. Aradu should just be scrapped. It's time has passed. A brand new type 05A Frigate from china with full anti air, anti ship and anti submarine capabilities costs just a little over 200 million so it beats me why the Chief of Naval staff will be contemplating refitting that aradu.

I doubt if you know what NNS ARADU is. Read the report again, " NNS ARADU is one of the three ships in the WORLD..." That is not something you simply pick from the shelf. I understand Even Germany that built the war ship for Nigeria once wanted to acquire it back.
But $250m for a frigate? Very wrong. Do you know NNS THUNDER was given to Nigeria by US from its Coast Guard? Despite that, do you know Nigeria still had to caugh out roughly about $800m before taking possession of the ship? Guy, find out these things, don't just assume.

2 Likes

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by brosiye99(m): 5:12pm On Jun 02, 2017
nextprince:

I doubt if you know what NNS ARADU is. Read the report again, " NNS ARADU is one of the three ships in the WORLD..." That is not something you simply pick from the shelf. I understand Even Germany that built the war ship for Nigeria once wanted to acquire it back.
But $250m for a frigate? Very wrong. Do you know NNS THUNDER was given to Nigeria by US from its Coast Guard? Despite that, do you know Nigeria still had to caugh out roughly about $800m before taking possession of the ship? Guy, find out these things, don't just assume.
[quote author=nextprince post=57127685]

On the bolded that Aradu is one of the three of the three ships in the world..... please read this carefully http://thenationonlineng.net/navy-needs-250m-refit-aradu-says-ibas/
It WAS one of three ships in the world with that capability when it was launched in the 80's but there are better and more capable warships that have exceeded those capabilities the Aradu had. The CNS was reminiscing on how it was so powerful then from his statement. It actually was one of the most powerful ships in Africa in the 80's but not now. The Egyptians, Algerians and Moroccans have more powerful warships of that class currently. The new ships from Russia, US, Germany, Norway, UK and even India are much better equipped and have more modern stealth and modular designs with the most modern radars, sonars ASW, Anti Air, Anti Surface missiles and CIWS weapons systems. Aradu actually WAS a very powerful ship then as you correctly stated but that was then not now. That is why to make it become more modern and powerful will require a complete design review which will cost up to that 250million the CNS quoted which we both know is not necessary. The ship is an old design.
Also, the cost of taking possession of the Hamilton class coast guard cutter which we were gifted in 2011 by the US which is now the NNS thunder, it didn't cost 800million dollars to take possession of it. it cost 8 million dollars to fit it for our use because the US had stripped off all the major weapon systems and even removed its air search radars CIWS and main gun. 800 million dollars on a refurbished ship from the US that was made in 1967? You sef think am na. check this link https://beegeagle./2011/11/21/nigerias-latest-frigate-nns-thunder-departs-the-usa/ CHEERS.

5 Likes

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by SalamRushdie: 6:39pm On Jun 02, 2017
nextprince:

You clearly dont know a thing about frigates do you?
Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by SalamRushdie: 6:44pm On Jun 02, 2017
nextprince:

Typical Nigerian balderdash (so Germany wanted to acquire back a ship they sold ) you are just the typical know nothing , thrash talking Nigerian , I am really laughing hard here ....İ just hope you are among the criminals who us to make money from the refitting and that's why you are talking like this if not I would be sad

1 Like

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by nextprince: 6:57pm On Jun 02, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Typical Nigerian balderdash (so Germany wanted to acquire back a ship they sold ) you are just the typical know nothing , thrash talking Nigerian , I am really laughing hard here ....İ just hope you are among the criminals who us to make money from the refitting and that's why you are talking like this if not I would be sad

You see how you just embarrassed yourself? Who told you Germany sold the ship to Nigeria? The ship was built in Germany for Nigeria. Specifications were provided by the Nigerian Navy. It was not built and advertised for sale. However, I will advise you to say little of what you know nothing about. If the ship is to be refitted, she will be towed all the way to Germany for that purpose, so how will the Nigerian steal out of it? On the issue of Germany trying to acquire the ship, I'm just laughing. You have clearly shown your ignorance. I repeat, Germany had attempted to acquire that ship.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by nextprince: 6:57pm On Jun 02, 2017
SalamRushdie:

You clearly dont know a thing about frigates do you?
Tell me about frigates, small fry.

2 Likes

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by SHAKABOOM: 7:14pm On Jun 02, 2017
Mtcheewww! $250m for nns aradu..Make una go troway the nns aradu for dustbin.
Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by SalamRushdie: 7:23pm On Jun 02, 2017
nextprince:

Tell me about frigates, small fry.

Coming from the same person that said Germany wanted to have the NNS ARADU back ..that my friend gave you away to be a beer parlour type talker ...soon you will soon tell me the isrealis have been spying on NNS ARADU..anybody that can suggest that that sitting duck of a ship should be refurbished is either a criminal or very dumb
Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by nextprince: 7:27pm On Jun 02, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Coming from the same person that said Germany wanted to have the NNS ARADU back ..that my friend gave you away to be a beer parlour type talker ...soon you will soon tell me the isrealis have been spying on NNS ARADU..anybody that can suggest that that sitting duck of a ship should be refurbished is either a criminal or very dumb

How was the emboldened contradicted pls?
For the rest poo, I won't say anything since you are even more experienced than the chief of the naval staff.

1 Like

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by SalamRushdie: 7:30pm On Jun 02, 2017
nextprince:

How was the emboldened contradicted pls?
For the rest poo, I won't say anything.

I am sure you are already at your neighborhood bar so just order you 3rd bottle of 33 export beer till you guys can come up with a new Beer parlour gist like how Atiku owns half of NASA grin

1 Like

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by nextprince: 7:33pm On Jun 02, 2017
SalamRushdie:

I am sure you are already at your neighborhood bar so just order you 3rd bottle of 33 export beer till you guys can come up with a new Beer parlour gist like how Atiku owns half of NASA grin
Pls advise chief of Naval staff, your experience is required at the naval headquarters on the NNS ARADU.
But before going there, how did I contradict myself?

2 Likes

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by SalamRushdie: 7:40pm On Jun 02, 2017
nextprince:

Pls advise chief of Naval staff, your experience is required at the naval headquarters on the NNS ARADU.

Are you not the same person that said that Nigeria paid 800 million dollars to the US to collect a retired ice breaker which is double the price of an SSK submarine...Guy abeg I was right about you being the class captain of beer parlour gist in your area cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by effty(m): 11:08pm On Jun 02, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Are you not the same person that said that Nigeria paid 800 million dollars to the US to collect a retired ice breaker which is double the price of an SSK submarine...Guy abeg I was right about you being the class captain of beer parlour gist in your area cheesy cheesy
A real beer palour gist. Barman, give am one.

2 Likes

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by nextprince: 12:13am On Jun 03, 2017
SalamRushdie:

How this contradicts what I had said is what I don't know. Meanwhile, you can go ahead with the ignorance you are trying to spread and I'm pretty sure you know nothing about Nigerian Navy ships. This is the problem with Nigerians, imagine a complete novice claiming to know war ship better than the chief of the naval staff, nawao! Abeg, I no fit shout. Bye.
Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by Mazeltovscotty(m): 2:06am On Jun 03, 2017
nextprince:

How this contradicts what I had said is what I don't know. Meanwhile, you can go ahead with the ignorance you are trying to spread and I'm pretty sure you know nothing about Nigerian Navy ships. This is the problem with Nigerians, imagine a complete novice claiming to know war ship better than the chief of the naval staff, nawao! Abeg, I no fit shout. Bye.
I think brosiye99 is right. In this period when Nigeria is trying to stabilize things, it is not economically wise to spend $250,000,000 such a huge amount of money to service an old ship. This argument is not about the ship but the amount and options we have

1 Like

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by nextprince: 2:13am On Jun 03, 2017
Mazeltovscotty:
I think brosiye99 is right. In this period when Nigeria is trying to stabilize things, it is not economically wise to spend $250,000,000 such a huge amount of money to service an old ship. This argument is not about the ship but the amount and options we have

Even the chief of the naval staff said so,
“To refit NNS ARADU, the nation would need over 250 million dollars and that is not what the navy can afford for now.
Their argument is that a brand new frigate of NNS ARADU class can be bought at that amount, even less, which is a very white lie.
Additionally, the chief of the naval staff has been a naval officer for over 30 yrs, are they claiming to know more about the economic implications of refit better than him? Do you think the navy doesn't have a department comprising experienced analysts for that purpose that it is a complete novice from one village who knows nothing that will now teach the chief of the naval staff how to do his job? To them, everything is just about stealing, which is not surprising anyway.
Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by gabng(m): 3:02am On Jun 03, 2017
nextprince:

Even the chief of the naval staff said so,
Their argument is that a brand new frigate of NNS ARADU class can be bought at that amount, even less, which is a very white lie.
Additionally, the chief of the naval staff has been a naval officer for over 30 yrs, are they claiming to know more about the economic implications of refit better than him? Do you think the navy doesn't have a department comprising experienced analysts for that purpose that it is a complete novice from one village who knows nothing that will now teach the chief of the naval staff how to do his job? To them, everything is just about stealing, which is not surprising anyway.

Anyone who thinks the NNS Aradu is coming back is living in shangri-la

Get the navy 3 LPD with all bells & whistle for that amount & scrap that junk.

1 Like

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by tinkinjow: 3:54am On Jun 03, 2017
But $250m for a frigate? Very wrong. Do you know NNS THUNDER was given to Nigeria by US from its Coast Guard? Despite that do you know Nigeria still had to caugh out roughly about $800m before taking possession of the ship? Guy, find out these things, don't just assume.
I always suspect you don't know what you were posting, then i came to bolded and all doubts flew away. You probably don't know the difference between the US dollar and the Nigerian naira. Do a bit of research or just google please

1 Like

Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by Nobody: 4:33am On Jun 03, 2017
ARADU should be used for training/ serve as museum
250M$ is not proper for a old Ship when we can get state of the art modern Ship
Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by wailersarefools: 6:01am On Jun 03, 2017
[s]
SalamRushdie:

[/s]
Shatap there and get out. Cool down and learn. this is not biafra matter.
Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by Blue3k(m): 6:12am On Jun 03, 2017
Man this arguements above is lit. I'm cool as long as it dies job of protecting waters.
Re: Navy Needs $250m To Refit Nns Aradu by akinszz: 8:46am On Jun 03, 2017
$250million fun kini ?

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Members Receive Reception While Dropping Dapchi Girls(video) / Could This Be The Video That Got Abaribe Into Trouble? / President Buhari Arrives In Paris For Peace Forum (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.