Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,436 members, 7,808,560 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body (35764 Views)

Why Garri Is One Of The Mostly Consumed Staples In West Africa / Farmfat Garri And Fufu / Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jun 02, 2017
Chaiiiii >: shocked . O boyyy shocked
stevolinkon40:

It's better you discuss what you know.
Fulani cattle rearers ate up my dad's faRM a month old leaving nothing behind over 5hectares in oyo state
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by komodapson(m): 10:22pm On Jun 02, 2017
[quote author=omoelerin1 post=57126187][/quote]
why would she (The FG) introduce price control (p.c)? In what way did (FG) contribute in the value chain in cassava/garri production? for FG to now wake up & start to force down price. is it in the provision of high yield cassava stem ni, fertilizer ni,or chemicals or access road from farm to market. rather than place a ban on all touts claiming to be LG staffers who makes road blocks on all inter state roads and start to collect tolls on trucks conveying farm produce till the produce get to entry point of ketu or mile 12 market. better still let the FG buy from the farmers based on market forces and in turn sell to the public @ a cheaper price, but do we have structure to execute these. food meant for a handful of IDP's alone was stolen, diverted not to talk of an exercise for the whole nation.
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by ayindejimmy(m): 10:30pm On Jun 02, 2017
enomakos:
are you a farmer? do you have farm land in ondo ,Ogun ,Oyo or osun? if not don't say what you didn't know

We have a family farm of about 4 acres at Moku in Ibadan.

Where do you have yours?
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by ayindejimmy(m): 10:33pm On Jun 02, 2017
Eazybay:

Price control just like 1984
Did they form the union 2yrs ago
We already have price control by various unions Or how do assume everyone arrived at the same price to sell?
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by ayindejimmy(m): 10:35pm On Jun 02, 2017
stevolinkon40:

It's better you discuss what you know.
Fulani cattle rearers ate up my dad's faRM a month old leaving nothing behind over 5hectares in oyo state

Maybe you didn't get what I said.
Do they have herdsmen ATTACK on villagers like in the north?
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by komodapson(m): 10:39pm On Jun 02, 2017
lollytk:
how can govt implement price control when they don't contribute anything to help the farmers.
abi o! what did FG contributed along the value chain. is it high yield cassava stem they provided free ni,or organic fertilizer, or extension services...no mind them

why not let us tackle issue of desertification which is ravaging the sahara&sahel down to north and further down south, which necessitated d Fulani's further moving downwards, moreover this menace wasn't in existence over 25years ago. desertification is moving at the rate of 0.6 km per annum from the north down south.
solutions:
1.alleviate the suffering of the masses through informed education, which in turn reduces poverty. poverty which made them to result to felling of neem trees for energy

2. political Will: judicious use of ecological fund

3. tree planting to reclaim lost ground

4.effective normadic education

5. introduction hi quality fibre grass, not the one to b imported by audu ogbeh o.

with few steps highlighted, everything go return to normalcy. but satanic spirits no go allow my leaders. é mì mà sè rèrè

2 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Teenaira: 10:48pm On Jun 02, 2017
ayindejimmy:

Do you mind those ppl?

I've never heard of herdsmen attack in Ondo, Ogun, Oyo and Osun o!
Those Garri sellers have Union and the union dictates the price to their advantage
If the government doesn't implement price, control we'll just continue to suffer.

Haba !!! sir, all these states you mentioned, Ondo, Ogun, Oyo and Osun are begging for assistance to combat the menace of Fulani herdsmen. If you have any idea as to how they can get out of the stronghold of these Fulani herdsmen please let us know, we will really appreciate such a kind gesture.

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by ayindejimmy(m): 10:51pm On Jun 02, 2017
DeKen:

I won't dispute the fact that market unions can capitalize on situations to their advantage, but have you wondered why they would choose to do so with such drastic increase at this time? Do you realize that when there is scarcity in a particular part of the country some dealers will go to markets in other states that they don't normally go to for supply? When there is surge in demand in those places that there were no attacks, there is bound to be increase in price (Simply demand and supply economics). About a week ago, my Aunt who sells foodstuff said her supplier came back from her purchase trip empty, not even a single bag to buy. At the time the price got up by about 30%, but it has come down a bit, but still on the high side.

When the herdsmen attack went on so long without being checked, I had feared this will be the outcome and I'm not surprised. It even made me to start a farm in my state which does not yet have attacks. I just pray it remains so.

Instead of dealing with the herdsmen problem, you are advocating price control? Do you realize that with the risk now involved in farming if the price is not favorable most people will run away from farming? Would you also force the farmers to plant?

I know a worker deserves his wage
But we all know how Nigerians can be exploitative.
Ask for the price of something and the seller will tell you 10× the actual price.
For example, I used to buy a carton of noodles between N1000-N1300, then a pack was sold for N40 but because of recession the carton became N1700 and a pack becomes N50. However, the past months as seen a carton of noodles come down between N1300 - N1,500 but a pack is still sold for N50

I do sell things but I'm the type that don't fancy putting high gains on goods. I'll rather put small gains and make it sell faster.

My cousin has a 4 acres farm in Ibadan and he has never complained of herdsmen attack. Maybe he's been lucky so far though
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Childofaking: 11:30pm On Jun 02, 2017
work from the comfort of your home and earn upto $5000 a month, click below:
http://dollartell.com/?share=57206
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Chinagurum1995(m): 11:39pm On Jun 02, 2017
Ahg ahg Isoku. Why is expensive? shocked undecided
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by kissniyi(m): 11:50pm On Jun 02, 2017
Make dem talk, we wantu know wossup idi ti garri se wan! -9ice >:
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Goodnuel: 12:59am On Jun 03, 2017
GreenMavro:
angry

I was about creating a trend like this today but network no gree me...garri wey i dy buy 250-350 per ike last 2 years don turn 1200 and 1000 with abeg, now adays na measurement i dy use soak garri.
250 cost sef.. Was #80 in benue.
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by akpakoboy: 6:11am On Jun 03, 2017
Origin:
That's why it is N500 in Ogun ibadan Ondo but N1000 in Lagos.

Have they been attacking Lagos farmers too?

Please tell us precise locations of this attacks and the number of people affected.
That is the plain truth my brother. People can't go to farms anymore because of herdsmen.

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by chucks231(m): 7:17am On Jun 03, 2017
Cost of cassava is high not. Because of herdsmen. Breweries now extract sugar complex sugar from cassava...cos importation is high they now buy out all the cassava frm farmers....dats y beer is still cheap , farmers now make more money and save stress, it's a revenge case cz farmers were. Never appreciated yrs back, so they care less for the masses, they only look for d mula
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by jude90(m): 7:40am On Jun 03, 2017
Story for the gods
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by stevolinkon40: 8:34am On Jun 03, 2017
ayindejimmy:

Maybe you didn't get what I said.
Do they have herdsmen ATTACK on villagers like in the north?
Herdsmen leads their cattle to fresh farms and eat up everything. And you dare not challenge them. They don't attack villagers. They attack farms. So many refused to farm the few who does took extra measure to protect the farm like 5 farmers coming together to pay huge amount for night guard and even all day monitoring of the farms

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by TeetoEsq(m): 10:04am On Jun 03, 2017
it's a lie... as a dealer I can tell you the real cause of the hike in price of garri is that, when u go to buy garri, the producers will prefer to sell to Cameroon people who are always ready to pay high. its the remains that are being sold to us here in Nigeria. since the few we can buy can not go round as before. hence the hike in price
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by akaahs(m): 10:14am On Jun 03, 2017
I'm a leaving witness, d one i farm since last year have not harvested bcause of them (herdmens) . S.k of kd to be precise.

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by persius555(m): 11:01am On Jun 03, 2017
All the states affected by these murderous Fulani herdsmen should follow suit and enact laws through their state house of assemblies to ban open cattle grazing.

Benue and Ekiti have done so. We expect others to follow suit. Serious food scarcity is staring us in the face and would we rather play politics with such?

It is time to act.

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by enomakos(m): 2:36pm On Jun 03, 2017
ayindejimmy:

We have a family farm of about 4 acres at Moku in Ibadan.
Where do you have yours?
Benin and it is not even safe anymore

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by zyzxx(m): 10:08pm On Jun 03, 2017

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Konquest: 7:58am On Jul 10, 2017
360frolic:
According to Segun Adewumi, President of the Nigeria Cassava Growers Association, the recent reduction in cassava supply and increased cost of cassava products is due to herdsmen attacks on farms.

“It has been a very difficult time for cassava farmers in Nigeria because of the incessant attacks by herdsmen, who make it difficult for them to go to their farms.

“Farmers are afraid to go and cultivate; some farmers have lost their lives for venturing into the farms.

He said “garri”, flour, “fufu”, starch and semolina had become more costly, because these attacks caused cassava farmers to stop farming in some parts of the country.

Also, insurance firms did not compensate the affected farmers because policies taken by the farmers did not cover malicious damage to farms, he said.

A small paint bucket measure of cassava flakes, otherwise known as ‘Garri’, costs between N900 and N1,100, depending on the location in Lagos metropolis.

A 60kg bag of the commodity costs between N11,000 and N12, 500 at the Mushin Oloosa Market, depending on the quality.

http://www.newshelmng.com/2017/06/why-garri-semo-and-fufu-are-now-more.html

^^^^^^
Greed glands... grin
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Ebis76: 8:38am On Jan 28, 2018
drceejay:
How long will We complain about the incessant cost of Food in this Country .But however, Man must Survive.That is why Happy World Meal Gate, A Business that deals on Food, Provisions as well as Cash Rewards .Hunger is every where no doubt,but Happy World Meal Gate has been created to Put food on the table of most homes today.if u want to end this hunger and get more food,provisions as well as cash then chat me up on whatsapp on 07036874269.
how much is your 10kg semovita now?
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by wavesofluck: 4:36am On May 15, 2018
Do you need white Ijebu Garri and yellow Garri in large quantity.
Please call us today to place your order. Call/Whatsapp: 07066880314
Maximum satisfaction is our watchword. NB. Nationwide delivery Available.
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Olorunmiga: 8:02pm On Oct 03, 2018
Garri pass Garri (Buy Better Garri 4 Shikini Moni)

We sell best quality Garri at wholesale prices.

We supply Garri Ijebu, White Garri & Yellow Garri to individuals, supermarkets, hotels, shops, restaurants, churches, industries etc.

We are "Trusted & Reliable"

Get to know us, certainly you will find us better than your current buying source.

Call/WhatsApp: +2348050206744 / 07066880314

Location - Lagos State
Nationwide Delivery Available.
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Olorunmiga: 8:40pm On Oct 03, 2018
Garri pass Garri (Buy Better Garri 4 Shikini Moni)

We sell best quality Garri at wholesale prices.

We supply Garri Ijebu, White Garri & Yellow Garri to individuals, supermarkets, hotels, shops, restaurants, churches, industries etc.

We are "Trusted & Reliable"

Get to know us, certainly you will find us better than your current buying source.

Call/WhatsApp: +2348050206744 / 07066880314

Location - Lagos State
Nationwide Delivery Available.
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Seasonseasonal: 8:03pm On Mar 06, 2019
Looking for where to buy dry Ijebu Garri and white Garri in large quantity or you are frustrated about the stress of moving around in a crowded market just to get the best!

Order now, our prices are affordable.
Call: 07058764315
WhatsApp: +2347058764315
We do nationwide delivery

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Women Go To Farm With Weapon To Protect Selves From Bandits / EU Ban On Nigerian Food Exports / Cost Of Raising 100 Hundred Broilers In My Home-made Poultry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.