Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,012 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

The Use Of In And At: How Do They Go - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Use Of In And At: How Do They Go (544 Views)

Airtel Wins Award For ‘best Use Of Storytelling’ At Seras 2019 / Redundancy In The Use Of Prepositions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Use Of In And At: How Do They Go by haryodejy(m): 2:41pm On Jun 02, 2017
The use of these two prepositions has actually got me confused probably since secondary school days either i didn't listen well or i wasn't thought well. What i mean:
Do we say;
I am IN Lagos. or
I am AT Lagos

I am IN Church. or
I am AT Church

reasonable and mature comments please
Re: The Use Of In And At: How Do They Go by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 02, 2017
haryodejy:
The use of these two prepositions has actually got me confused probably since secondary school days either i didn't listen well or i wasn't thought well. What i mean:
Do we say;
I am IN Lagos. or
I am AT Lagos

I am IN Church. or
I am AT Church

reasonable and mature comments please
'in' is used for an address/location that is not specified, while 'at' is used for a more specific location and 'on' is used in the broader sense.
Example:
I am ON the Island, IN Victoria Island, AT no 3 Abouomi street.
u can see that when at is used the specific address(in terms of house no) is mentioned.
For ur question, it is IN LAGOS since no specific location was mentioned; It is also IN CHURCH (same reason)
N.B: it also depends on ur location relative to where ur describing. For instance someone in space(out of the earth) could say- Francis is on earth, in Nigeria at Lagos. Here Lagos is the location that is more specific of the three I.e earth, Nigeria and Lagos. So in summary the way it works is ON(broad), IN(less broad) and AT(specific). I hope this helps.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Use Of In And At: How Do They Go by Amswt(f): 3:20pm On Jun 02, 2017
Up you it helps alot
Re: The Use Of In And At: How Do They Go by haryodejy(m): 10:56pm On Jun 02, 2017
thanks a lot

(1) (Reply)

DIY Guide: How To Write A Press Release / Karma Is A Bitch / "48 Things You Probably Didn't Know" By The Sheddytalker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.