Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,555 members, 7,809,027 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

The Origin Of Urhobo People - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Origin Of Urhobo People (51714 Views)

The Ema Dance Of The Urhobo People (photos) / The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) / The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Brooke60(f): 7:06pm On Jun 05, 2017
fratermathy:

And the ones in your ethnicity are he-goats?
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by baby124: 7:09pm On Jun 05, 2017
LMAO! Not again! I just hahahahahaha when Nigerian tribes come up with this Egypt bs. We are all from Nigeria o. Except the Hausa, Kanuri and Fulani. We probably came to Nigeria longer than the Egyptians were in Egypt. Remember Egyptians kept impeccable records. So these heros mentioned will be in their history if they ever existed. So let's not disgrace ourselves claiming history that does not exist. By the way we did not migrate from Sudan but from East Africa!

4 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by baby124: 7:14pm On Jun 05, 2017
Afam4eva:
I think Urhobo and Yoruba are somehow intertwined historically. There's an Urhobo/Itsekiri man that got his genealogy tested and he found out that he was about 60% Benin/Togo which is Yoruba and a smaller percentage of Cameroon/Congo which could be Igbo or any of the groups east of the Niger.
They definitely have or had some contact or connection with Yoruba but it was a long time ago. Some of their titles like Olori and Olorogun are clearly Yoruba titles. Lol. But separation must have taken place a very long time ago. They were a bit isolated so must have kept their genetic makeup much better even if their language evolved.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Afam4eva(m): 7:22pm On Jun 05, 2017
fratermathy:

Urhobo, Bini, Ishan and Isoko have more to do with Yoruba than Igbo, actually.

The colour of skin is not a yardstick for knowing the origin of a people. Africans are not fair or white. Some Igbos may have acquired a lighter tone over time due to "contact" with Europeans.
You're distorting our history. We had no contact with Europeans as far as mixing goes. We just have more lighter complexioned black people than other groups.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Sanchez01: 7:22pm On Jun 05, 2017
Kirigidi:

Urhobo migrated from "AKA" not "EDO". At the time Urhobo left, the Kingdom and land of the Ogisos was then known as "AKA". The terms "EDO" and "BENIN" are recent names which came into use only after the collapse of the Ogiso Dynasty and the subsequent emergence of the Oba Dynasty. The collapse of the "OGISO DYNASTY" and its replacement with "OBA DYNASTY" brought a change of name from "AKA" to "EDO". In fact, the name EDO was believed to have been introduced by Oba Ewuare the Great to immortalized a certain servant who saved his life during his struggle to ascend the Benin royal throne.
I understand you perfectly but my response came off as one who wasn't interested in dating back to history.

Thank you though.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Sanchez01: 7:27pm On Jun 05, 2017
baby124:

They definitely have or had some contact or connection with Yoruba but it was a long time ago. Some of their titles like Olori and Olorogun are clearly Yoruba titles. Lol. But separation must have taken place a very long time ago. They were a bit isolated so must have kept their genetic makeup much better even if their language evolved.
True this. I have come to notice that Urhobos fast latch on to Yoruba as a language and are often open to inter-marriage with the Yorubas.

The genetic make-up remains a wonder and I wish the language was guarded in that manner.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by baby124: 7:30pm On Jun 05, 2017
Sanchez01:

True this. I have come to notice that Urhobos fast latch on to Yoruba as a language and are often open to inter-marriage with the Yorubas.

The genetic make-up remains a wonder and I wish the language was guarded in that manner.
Language always evolves. Even Yoruba's of today speak an easier Yoruba than the old Yoruba's. Remember they must have gone through the Benins, the Ishans to get to where they are. So they picked up different languages and fused with their own. Even in genetic tests, Yoruba and Ishan are often classified as the same.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Afam4eva(m): 7:32pm On Jun 05, 2017
Sanchez01:

This doesn't mean nothing. The ability to speak a language or marry Yorubas is not an evidence of sharing a history with a people. Anybody can have the ability to learn any language.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by lyricalz: 7:35pm On Jun 05, 2017
Sanchez01:
ScionofUrhobo, these are very difficult to take in and truth be told, the whole thing seems unbelievable. The history of the Urhobos have from time immemorial being a debate as their are four postulations concerning this same thing

The first is that the Urhobos are the original dwellers and owners of their territory who have been living in their territories from time immemorial. (I find this unbelievable because migration would have happened and that would best explain the similarity between ours and some Edoid groups.)

The second tradition is that the Urhobos left Edo at the end of the Ogiso dynasty in search of more peaceful locations as a result of “cruelty, animosity and tyranny” which pushed them out of the Benin kingdom. (This is most likely to be)

The third tradition is that the Urhobos migrated from Ile-Ife in Yorubaland. (This is not in any way correct. Benin is tied to Ilé-Ifẹ̀. It best supports the idea that we stemmed from Edo, but from Ilé-Ifẹ̀? I don't think so.)

The fourth is that the Urhobos migrated from
Sudan and Egypt. (This is already discussed extensively, all thanks for you. However, I don't think this is true in any way.)

Besides, night in Urhobo is ASO, and not ASUN.

You have spoken like the true son of your father.
Urhobos and other other edoid group like esan, auchi and the rest migrated from Bini, pple are just trying to dodge that fact so as not to make Benin feel superior, but that's not the case, history is history.
Weda d Yoruba's who claim the oduduwa came from heaven via a ladder also the igbos who claim they came from Israel or Hausas like it or not, every tribe in Africa has their root in Egypt.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 05, 2017
Mujtahida:

Are you serious? Like seriously the Ijaws in the core North around the lake Chad area? I am curious.

Go find out bro. From Chad down the Niger and benue river straight down to the ocean.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jun 05, 2017
Opharhe:
I can coach you. Seriously.

i'd like to learn too
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Mujtahida: 7:57pm On Jun 05, 2017
specter:

Go find out bro. From Chad down the Niger and benue river straight down to the ocean.
Kai Bros, I don't know about Chad down the Niger but I know very well Benue river and the riverine people there are the Tivs and Jukuns. Ijaws are not indigenous to those places.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by dragonking3: 8:06pm On Jun 05, 2017
scionofurhobo:
Introduction

The Urhobo people like all his other brethren ethnic groups that make up the territory called Nigeria, had fled from Sudan, and like the other groups appeared to have conspired to keep their whereabouts a secret from their strong foes. It had to be a secret flight – ‘a disappearing act’ – from North Africa through the Trans-Saharan Trade Route to West Africa and Nigeria, so that they would not be tracked and hunted down by their determined, ferocious foes, especially their kin, king Ayerada (of Isoko lineage) who was bent on converting the whole of Ethiopia (and Nubia) to Christianity either by the Holy Bible or by the sword. Urhobo and the others were well-motivated to abandon Nubia for the following reasons:

1. They were not willing to abandon their ancient gods.

2. They were no match for the military prowess of King Ayerada.

3. Their hitherto thriving economy had failed, as the land was no more yielding oro (gold) and other minerals;

4. Their failing agriculture.

To further cover their tracks and make their ‘vanishing act’ a success, the Fei-roh (Pharaoh, king) and Oloris (leaders/priests) had agreed to prohibit amongst the people the following activities, as well as prohibit speaking or making reference to the topics and subjects listed below, amongst their offspring and on-coming generations:

1. Origin and history of the peoples;

2. Accounts of their migration to their present location;

3. The art of writing (in hieroglyphic) formerly, by the priests;

4. The exposing art and highly revealing technology of pyramid, sphinx and obelisk buildings, and tombs technology;

5. The art and science of mummification; amongst others.

These things were, hitherto, integral aspects of their lives and culture in Sudan, Egypt and even beyond, now stopped.
The people were making a clean break from their past at that point where Ayerada stepped in; for the purpose of ethnic preservation, and for the purpose of preventing the subjugation of their multitude of idols and gods, especially the sun god, Hay-ya-ra, formerly called Re (Hor-re), the moon goddess, Amun (Amoon or Ama-Ra (little Ra) and the sea goddess, Isi.

Therefore, as they crossed the Trans-Saharan Trade Route into Chad, they veered off into the virgin Savannah, moving further down mid-west-ward, through virgin lands until they were swallowed up by the inviting, protective, thick, virgin forests.
God bless you OP for this.

Long live the Urhobo and isoko culture.

long live all nigerdelta culture.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by MENELIK1: 8:07pm On Jun 05, 2017
fratermathy:

Until we see one, we can't be too sure but I believe that the DNA test will reveal a diversity of roots because some Urhobo clans are peopled by those of non-Bini descent, notably Ijaws, Itsekiri and Igbo. However, the majority may be traced to Bini roots, and Bini DNA may be traced to Dahomey, from where many Yorubas are believed to have originated from.

Get your facts right, Yoruba traceable to Dahomey! No sir the reverse is the case and majority of the tribes in western part of Nigeria from the Olukumi and Itsekiri in Delta to as far as Ewe of Togo can trace their origin to Yoruba land. The difference between the father and the son is monumentally large. Eschew revisionist history emanating from some quarters, it is not true.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Sanchez01: 8:30pm On Jun 05, 2017
Afam4eva:

This doesn't mean nothing. The ability to speak a language or marry Yorubas is not an evidence of sharing a history with a people. Anybody can have the ability to learn any language.
Personally, I'm not convinced about the said shared history with the Yorubas. Most of the journals around seem distorted and none seem convincing enough to drive home the point.

And if indeed Urhobos of old came in contact with the Yorubas, then it must have been through Bini.

For most Urhobos who are bilingual, the present day Benin language and Yoruba are the most adopted. This best explains our open mindedness towards marrying from these places, mostly, than from other areas.

Why the why might not be readily available, I'd make bold to say it is an unconscious act at mingling with people from the aforementioned areas. I have over five relatives who are inter-married with people from Benin and Yorubas. Fathia Balogun and the late Henrietta Kosoko comes to mind. Rachael Oniga is one as well.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Sanchez01: 8:35pm On Jun 05, 2017
baby124:

Language always evolves. Even Yoruba's of today speak an easier Yoruba than the old Yoruba's. Remember they must have gone through the Benins, the Ishans to get to where they are. So they picked up different languages and fused with their own. Even in genetic tests, Yoruba and Ishan are often classified as the same.
The old Yorùbá rests with the people of Oyo and is still being spoken till date. The present day Yoruba is a blend of slangs and language, and it is common in Lagos than in other Yoruba areas. Others are marked by dialect.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jun 05, 2017
Hmmmmmmm, see deceit oo undecided So Urhobo is now fada of all nations: fada to yoruba, hausa, ibo, and so on shocked So Oduduwa that 'decended from the sky' is now Urhobo's son. By the way, this story is disjointed.

Please stop deceiving yourselves lipsrsealed
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by KemjikaEme: 8:54pm On Jun 05, 2017
fratermathy:

This is not the standard history of Urhobo people. Urhobos are regarded as having Benin origins.
I know they are Edoid. I'm more interested in the fact that most revisionist are not interested in linguistic,archaeological and genetic pointers to origin but quickly claim a non local origin of Nigerian groups.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by scionofurhobo(m): 9:05pm On Jun 05, 2017
I am sorry I may not be able to reply every mentions, but let it be known that Records of our ancestors are stored and locked up in the bodies of the succeeding generations. When you unlock it, nobody would tell you your story or history.

Urhobo Wad-do-o!
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by baby124: 9:05pm On Jun 05, 2017
Sanchez01:

The old Yorùbá rests with the people of Oyo and is still being spoken till date. The present day Yoruba is a blend of slangs and language, and it is common in Lagos than in other Yoruba areas. Others are marked by dialect.

Nothing like Old Yoruba being Oyo. The Lagos Yoruba is most similar to OYO Yoruba. Older dialects exist, which are much more complicated and diverse. Oyo Yoruba became more used because of the OYO empire. Let's not get into Yoruba history. This is a Urhobo thread.

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by fratermathy(m): 9:17pm On Jun 05, 2017
MENELIK1:

Get your facts right, Yoruba traceable to Dahomey! No sir the reverse is the case and majority of the tribes in western part of Nigeria from the Olukumi and Itsekiri in Delta to as far as Ewe of Togo can trace their origin to Yoruba land. The difference between the father and the son is monumentally large. Eschew revisionist history emanating from some quarters, it is not true.

I meant no harm. I thought I read that somewhere but based on what you've just said, it seems my source is inaccurate. However, I am quite sure that Itsekiri and Olukumi of Delta State are Yoruboids. Even the Okpe clan of Urhobo claims to be from Ife. This confirms your theory of outwardly migration from Yorubaland. However, the Yorubas must have come from somewhere. What are your theories?`

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by seniorkachion(m): 9:20pm On Jun 05, 2017
scionofurhobo:
Urhobo Origin Account and Datelines

The account:

This is the account (presented further below in datelines) of the origin of Urhobo: his ancestors and his descendants, and the lands that they dwelt in; and the years of their births and migrations.

Urhobo descended from Akadianose(h) (pronounced, Akadiano-osseh), also called Accad) the son of the short-lived priest-king of Babel, Eki (Enki) (also known as Enkiroh or Nimrod).

Urhobo’s father was Alka who was born in (U year) BC 2003. He was the son of Isi-oboh.

Isi-oboh was born in BC 2093. His father was Va-edo(h), also called Waedo(h).

Va-edo(h) was born in BC2152 by Akadianose(h).

From Akadianose(h) to Urhobo was five generations. (Akadianose(h) although a Black had his origin from Oyibo, the White race. His own ancestry/genealogy and dates will be considered at the end of the account herein given of Urhobo genealogy, descendants, migrations and dates.)

Urhobo’s siblings were Kai-neh (otherwise called Aka), Isi-yan (otherwise known as Isan or Ishan); Isi-oko (Isoko), a female. They were of one mother. He had other half–sisters: Uku-ani (Kwale) and Ika-ra-derra (Ika) who were sisters, born of the same mother, and Kairoh and Ay-ga-ra (Igarra) whose mothers were different; and half-brothers of whom had different mothers: Isi-yon (Izon), Horre-igbo (Igbo), Ava-sa (Hausa) and Oyoro-oba (Yoruba). Kai-neh’s son was Ubini (Bini, Benin); Ubini was the father of Hyksos Kiyan (Kaiyan) who also ruled Egypt before Hyksos Nefer-edoh (born in BC 1797) of Urhobo lineage overthrew him.

Fables.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Dsov2016: 9:31pm On Jun 05, 2017
According to history and research most of the first great civilizations of the world were founded along rivers leading to the name river civilization this included mesopotamia(land b/w rivers), hindu , yellow river(Chinese),Nile(Egypt) among many others. What is just being realised is that ancient civilizations traded with each other which is why some ores/materials unique to some areas are found in different areas. But the slavery mentality of Africans is to much how can our tribes be attached to some other nations just because they are popular or because of religious significance it is very possible that sub Saharan Africa is the cradle if the world, just because proof has not been found does not mean it is not there. It is possible that because of the presence of rivers and an outlet to the ocean that there was a great civilization that encompased the tribes found in Nigeria today and that because of disease or environmental factor, it disintegrated and some of the population escaped to Sudan and from there Egypt to the middle east and from there to europe(it is said that britons are descended from the middle east maybe summer or akkad),others through a land bridge to south and north america and from there to asia.Always be proud of ur african especially ur west African heritage.
FUN FACT: do u know that it is speculated that the Israelites are a splinter population of the Egyptians I.e lower caste who were treated as slaves. That their religion bears similarities to RA worship.
Also if we want to use similarities in translation of our language like the op did then AME in Bini language is water while in Japanese i means rain

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Dsov2016: 9:35pm On Jun 05, 2017
fratermathy:

I meant no harm. I thought I read that somewhere but based on what you've just said, it seems my source is inaccurate. However, I am quite sure that Itsekiri and Olukumi of Delta State are Yoruboids. Even Okpe in Urhobo clan claim to be from Ife. This confirms your theory of outwardly migration from Yorubaland. However, the Yorubas must have come from somewhere. What are your theories?`

I theorize that the yoruba, Bini and IBO's have a common greater ancestor civilization and that an event occurred which led to their splintering and forgetting their common ancestry. I am sure that with proper archaeological expeditions evidence will be found.
FUN FACT: did you know that it is speculated that the search for west Africa or African hinterlands was due to a myth of a very wealthy christian king who ruled a very large area and was black.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by anthney87: 9:40pm On Jun 05, 2017
The problem with we Nigerians are that we talk too much without thinking and investigating.

From my own sourced knowledge before now I learnt the urhobos ika Edo's Yoruba were descendants from Egypt or preferably the Nile.

When a war broke out the original inhabitants of Egypt ran away founding different nations as they ran.(know the the present inhabitants of Egypt are total foreigners mostly Arabs from the east)

If you look closely from certain pronunciations of the then Egyptians you will find out that they resemble most words pronounced in our present urhobi Edo and ika.

Please when issues like this comes up we should learn to ask the good questions like how and when and why and where not cursing and ranting when we know nothing.

For the urhobos we have lost a great deal of our culture and history and yes we are settled today in pur present locality by coming in through the Benin route( also the ika pipo and isoko pipo? Making us believe we originated from Edo but our true ancestry lies in Egypt.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by anthney87: 10:02pm On Jun 05, 2017
IFNOTGOD:
I am an Urhobo from Okpara Inland(Agbon Clan) your piece may have been an eye opener to more research and fact finding about our lineage but i think the theory that we migrated from Egypt is not in anyway right i would rather go with the myth that we migrated from Benin and some part from Igbo but the closeness in language between the Urhobos and their Benin counterpart makes me believe Urhobos and the Bini may have a common heritage and likewise the Igbo speaking tribe judging from dancing step to music.

Urhobo WADO, Urhobo Ovo Ovo

wa yore Urhobo gan, wa siobo ne erare Urhobo.

My dear... The more reason you need to go find out more and not just agree we migrated from Bini.

Yoruba's say they are from odudwa and he fell from the sky(crap) yet it was how we were taught in school(history class).

I for one will tell u most Nigerian languages can link their origin to Egypt or from old ancient Egyptians who ran away from egypt

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Dsov2016: 10:04pm On Jun 05, 2017
@anthney87
If you look closely from certain pronunciations of the then Egyptians you will find out that they resemble most words pronounced in our present urhobi Edo and ika.

How do you know ancient Egyptian pronunciation. At times ehn we re just too funny. Have u ever looked at a map and truly understand how difficult it is for a large group of people to migrate in ancient times without A GUIDE like a map or the different environmental factors of then or the different dangers in form of wild animals. Crossing through a forest with a group of people with a guide without a vehicle is very dangerous in modern day and any expedition of such nature without serious injury or death is very lucky. At times we should engage deductive reasoning and logic to such cases rather than using emotions. When I was a little younger I learned in my GST 201 of a theory that the Bini people re from Egypt and descended from the 2nd or 3rd son from the biblical Pharaoh of moses time I went with that theory until I finally sat down and thought about it.
There was the ancient NOK civilization so it stands to reason that there was another great civilization down south. Just because that as at now no mention has been made of a super/great civilization does not mean one did not exist, just as there was no knowledge except a little oral evidience which was not believed until the NOK heads were found

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Efewestern: 10:13pm On Jun 05, 2017
Sanchez01:

Personally, I'm not convinced about the said shared history with the Yorubas. Most of the journals around seem distorted and none seem convincing enough to drive home the point.

And if indeed Urhobos of old came in contact with the Yorubas, then it must have been through Bini.

For most Urhobos who are bilingual, the present day Benin language and Yoruba are the most adopted. This best explains our open mindedness towards marrying from these places, mostly, than from other areas.

Why the why might not be readily available, I'd make bold to say it is an unconscious act at mingling with people from the aforementioned areas. I have over five relatives who are inter-married with people from Benin and Yorubas. Fathia Balogun and the late Henrietta Kosoko comes to mind. Rachael Oniga is one as well.

I think you are forgetting our itsekiri neighbors, no present day urhobo family without link to itsekiri, we married itsekiri more than edo and Yoruba, mind you urhobo sees edo and yoruba as diabolical people. (no beef to my edo peeps)

but of all the tribe in Nigeria, urhobo seems more comfortable with those tribe when it comes to marriage and the rest.

my ranking

1. Itsekiri

2. Edo

3ijaw

4. Yoruba.

urhobo hardly get married to Hausa and igbo, don't know why, but hardly will you see such.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by soliddust2020: 10:15pm On Jun 05, 2017
Op this your write up is pure thrash. Urhobos originated from Aka or benin. Who ever wrote this book is wrong, the book belongs in the dustbin. In urhobo history we originated from benin and in benin history exiled princes formed urhobo settlement.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by Emusson24: 10:23pm On Jun 05, 2017
I have always loved history and with all sense of humility, I have read a lot of historical accounts of the Urhobos as a people. I was privileged to also listen to the oral accounts of various learned elderly men in Urhobo (because of my background), when I saw this thread I thought I could add to my wealth of knowledge regarding my origin.BUT I MUST SAY THAT AM REALLY DISAPPOINTED.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by vislabraye(m): 10:35pm On Jun 05, 2017
Afam4eva:
I think Urhobo and Yoruba are somehow intertwined historically. There's an Urhobo/Itsekiri man that got his genealogy tested and he found out that he was about 60% Benin/Togo which is Yoruba and a smaller percentage of Cameroon/Congo which could be Igbo or any of the groups east of the Niger.

Hahahahaaa. . I no dey believe those genealogy tests. They're npt all that accurate.
Re: The Origin Of Urhobo People by lesson44: 10:41pm On Jun 05, 2017
onuwaje:
I thought the Urhobo nation was one of the many migrant tribes that started their exodus from the Benin Empire

This account is surprising

You are correct. The write up is a made up history. It makes no sense.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Olori Wuraola Pulls A Beyoncé On Ooni Of Ife (photos) / Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) / South African Celebrities Who Are Traditional Healers/native Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.