Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

So Isidore Okpewho Is Dead! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / So Isidore Okpewho Is Dead! (697 Views)

James Adichie Is Dead! Father Of Chimamanda Adichie Dies / Binyavanga Wainaina Is Dead! HIV Positive Gay Rights Activist And Author Dies / Stan Lee Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So Isidore Okpewho Is Dead! by Flakosixfive(m): 10:01pm On Jun 02, 2017
Fantastic Writer belonging to that fine generation of Nigerian and African writers who set about the discourse of the African man and traditional African society. His works include; The Victims, The Last Duty etc. He died September last year. A crying shame a thread was not created in his honor on here. here's a brief history of this literary icon from Wikipedia.
Isidore Okpewho was born in Agbor , Delta State , Nigeria . His Urhobo father, David Okpewho, was from Abraka , in Delta State, a retired senior laboratory technician, and his
Igbo mother was from Asaba. [3]
Okpewho attended St Patrick's College in Asaba, going on to University College, Ibadan , from where he earned a first-class Honours degree in Classics.[2] He obtained his PhD in Comparative Literature from the University of Denver (1976) and a D.Litt in the Humanities from the University of London (2000).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isidore_Okpewho
Re: So Isidore Okpewho Is Dead! by Flakosixfive(m): 10:07pm On Jun 02, 2017
Here's how Sonala Olumhense describes him:
Isidore Okpewho was a brilliant intellectual and a lot of his admirers knew him as an award-winning writer. He was. He was also my teacher. I was lucky to meet him at the University of Ibadan in 1976 when I took his creative writing class.
He was a young and energetic man at the time, and he taught with passion and perceptiveness. He was a writer with as much natural feel as flair, and a teacher who treated words with love and affection. As a student, I learned he would challenge with intensity every word and every sentence to justify their existence or magnify their presence.
I stayed in touch with him through the early years of my career in journalism. For me, he was such a key component of my alma mater that when he called me in New York in 1991, I was in shock.
“Prof, what are you doing here?” I asked.
He turned the searchlight around. “What are YOU doing here?” he asked me.
He went on to teach in some of the best institutions in the US, including Binghamton University in New York where he also taught my daughter. That was where I last saw him. Although he had suffered a stroke and was in a wheelchair, he retained his memory and intellectual heft, and we talked life, literature and Nigeria.
It is significant to reflect on the point that in that wheelchair, he continued to write. He continued to teach and touch students and readers, a feat made possible by a society which values intellect rather than patronize it. I do not doubt that his life was extended because he was enabled to do the things he loved. In the hands—better still, at the mercy—of Nigeria, thieving politicians and their contractor “businessmen” and university officials, his would have been a shorter story.
Re: So Isidore Okpewho Is Dead! by mexxmoney: 7:46am On Jun 03, 2017
The Victims was one of my favorite novels in secondary school. He was a good writer. The book had a tragic ending but I was irresistibly drawn to it again and again because of the masterful literary artistry Isidore deployed in telling his stories. RIP good man
Re: So Isidore Okpewho Is Dead! by Flakosixfive(m): 11:04pm On Jun 03, 2017
mexxmoney:
The Victims was one of my favorite novels in secondary school. He was a good writer. The book had a tragic ending but I was irresistibly drawn to it again and again because of the masterful literary artistry Isidore deployed in telling his stories. RIP good man
Yeah. Can't remember the names of the key characters but it had to do with a jealous step wife poisoning her mate and unluckily her own children who shared in the poisoned food. What struck me was Isidore's fantastic Development of the pure love that exists between children as exemplified by the children of the two step wives despite raging animosities between the wives. Also his understanding and vivid narration of culture, behaviour and language of typical uhrobo/warri society is astounding. This theme he uses especially when describing the drunkard Father of this fatalistic household. Can't remember everything again. its been some thirteen years I read it. Stole the book from a junior in secondary school.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

In Love With The Dead (by Isaac Somto: Ceo Of Wowfactor Media) / ADAM–sci-fi Dark Fantasy. / Bbc 2018 International Playwriting Competition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.