Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,925 members, 7,806,690 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:54 PM

Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why (39853 Views)

Teju Babyface, Wife Tobi And Their Twins (Photos) / Teju Babyface And Wife, Welcome Twins After Six Years Of Marriage / Teju Babyface: "I Wasted 10 Years Of My Life As A Comedian" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by exlinkleads(f): 7:36am On Jun 03, 2017
Former Actor and Stand-up Comedian Teju Babyface has said he has no plans to return to stand-up comedy which he left three years ago. In an interview with Punch, Teju said he quit because he was constantly struggling.

Gbadewonuola Olateju Oyelakin, known professionally as Teju Babyface, is a Nigerian political satirist, inspirational speaker, talk show host, Master of Ceremonies, television producer.

Excerpts of interview below....

He said, “It was always a struggle to be a comedian. You may not have seen the struggle but every time I got on stage, it was a constant struggle. I had to prove myself to the audience constantly at every performance. It was a constant struggle and there were times I had been called on stage and the applause at the best of time would be polite, at the worst of times it would be non-existent. If you think about it, I really did not look like a comedian.

“It was as if the audience did not believe I could make them laugh; so I always had to prove myself. There was a time that it did not matter because I really enjoyed doing it. But after a certain time, your inner man would call out to you and things like discontent would start to set in.”

He added that the realization that he would never be number one stand-up comedian in the country also added to his decision to throw in the towel.

“It occurred to me that I was never going to be the number one stand-up comedian. I would never forget that day. It occurred to me several times in my stand-up comedy career but there was a certain day I had a lucid moment after a particular performance. As I got off the stage, it occurred to me that I was not called to be a career stand-up comedian. It was just a stage through which I had to pass. I am not saying I am not a comedian because I will always be one but I am no longer a stand-up comedian. I like to use the example of Steve Harvey in the US.

He did his last stand-up comedy show in Las Vegas in 2012 but he hosts the Steve Harvey show on television and radio, he has a children’s show and he is also an author. He is a business magnate but he would always be a comedian. You cannot watch him and not laugh and it is the same thing with me. Either it is the Teju Babyface show or you are reading my book or listening to me speak; you will always laugh but I would not stand on stage like I used to do to tell jokes,” the comedian said.

According to him, his new found love for writing and speaking has finally helped him find his place.

“I did not set out to write a book but I believed some years ago that I was meant to speak to people, to become a motivational speaker. I found out that I was writing a lot of things that I intended to speak about but the challenge was that nobody was calling me to speak. It was a challenge to find somewhere to speak and the places I wrote to always felt that I am a comedian and wondered what I know about public speaking. After putting all the materials in my computer for a while, my friend suggested that I should write a book.

I laughed at him at first but since he said I would become an authority if I write a book, after thinking about it for a while, it made sense to me. When I was launching the book, I found peace in my heart. Someone asked me if I had made the money I intended to make and I told them that they do not have an idea. I did not run into debt trying to do it but it is not about money anymore. There is a joy I feel being an author and I feel like a man who had finally found himself. A few people who saw me during the book launch said it in different ways that I have finally got into my place through writing and speaking,” Babyface said.

Full interview below...

more @ http://www.exlinklodge.com/2017/06/teju-babyface-i-was-constantly.html

7 Likes

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by flexxyworld(m): 7:42am On Jun 03, 2017
awon omo akokite

just continue with your talk show, mentorship and master of ceremony biz. stand up comedy wasn't your thing, you ain't swagged up for such career path unlike the ones you choose afterwards. keep making those cheeda and living your dreams. bless up

17 Likes

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by Jostico: 7:45am On Jun 03, 2017
that's life

7 Likes

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by Oluwasaeon(m): 7:48am On Jun 03, 2017
Unlike A.Y

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by Dotwillis1(m): 7:53am On Jun 03, 2017
issoryt
Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by sekundosekundo: 7:57am On Jun 03, 2017
The destiny of man sometimes is unpredictable. I suffered the same fate, I was once a clearing agent at Apapa seaport and Cotonou but there was no joy in me in that profession, the frauds, bribes etc didn't help matter at all. The huge amounts made on weekly basis especially when I clear CB goods don't give me joy as well. One day, I just called my boys and settle them, and close the company.

Hmmm, my friends thought I have gone mad but today, they can see the benefits of that madness.

Do what gives you joy and stay out of crime you will surely make it.

243 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by crazyABO(m): 8:00am On Jun 03, 2017
That's just it bro! He really knows what he wants than trynna b irrelevant like some of our stand up comedian undecided lemme nor mention name grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by nikkypearl(f): 8:02am On Jun 03, 2017
Fine boy/man/guy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by Alisegun(m): 8:16am On Jun 03, 2017
nice

1 Like

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by IgboAmakaa(f): 4:32pm On Jun 03, 2017
grin grin grin grin
Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by yeyeboi(m): 4:33pm On Jun 03, 2017
Lol

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by jaytime(m): 4:33pm On Jun 03, 2017
I think he is okay with the talk show.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by hobermener: 4:33pm On Jun 03, 2017
sad
Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by brunofarad(m): 4:34pm On Jun 03, 2017
This guy is funny that year

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by fratermathy(m): 4:35pm On Jun 03, 2017
You were never funny or popular. It's understandable. Good decision.

7 Likes

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by Deeypeey(m): 4:36pm On Jun 03, 2017
As funny as this may sound... he is still relatively unknown in the writing world, if nt even less popular than in comedy. And his so-called show gets less and less viewers daily. He's just popular for being popular's sake(prolly cuz his name sounds kinda comical and his role in Diamond Ring)
Uncle Teju,truth be told tho, I ve always found u funny... u were just unlucky. M noh hating(contrary to what sum ppl 'ld think)

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by costandi(m): 4:36pm On Jun 03, 2017
Nigga was never funny! So we are glad to miss you when you're gone!

4 Likes

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by Dannieln1: 4:36pm On Jun 03, 2017
sekundosekundo:
The destiny of man sometimes is unpredictable. I suffered the same fate, I was once a clearing agent at Apapa seaport and Cotonou but there was no joy in me in that profession, the frauds, bribes etc didn't help matter at all. The huge amounts made on weekly basis especially when I clear CB goods don't give me joy as well. One day, I just called my boys and settle them, and close the company.

Hmmm, my friends thought I have gone mad but today, they can see the benefits of that madness.

I feel inspired by what you just wrote up there

Any Job u don't find Joy doing lay it off
And do something you find Joy in

9 Likes

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by Harwoyeez(m): 4:36pm On Jun 03, 2017
That's a real soul searching

3 Likes

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jun 03, 2017
Basketmouth should not retire

1 Like

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by Partnerbiz(f): 4:36pm On Jun 03, 2017
sekundosekundo:

Who i go ask naw

1 Share

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by RoyalBoutique(m): 4:37pm On Jun 03, 2017
brunofarad:
This guy is funny that year

English is survived by a wife and 6 children.

It will be missed.

43 Likes

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by Wizkhalifa2(m): 4:38pm On Jun 03, 2017
Mayb AY shud key into this and stop stand up comedy too... ND also that Jedi guy too

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by Partnerbiz(f): 4:39pm On Jun 03, 2017
Illegal money dey pain shaa
Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by Alajiki(m): 4:39pm On Jun 03, 2017
I just love this guy. Being true to yourself is one big, giant step to being successful. I love his sincerity.

I wish you all the best bro.

8 Likes

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by kenben: 4:40pm On Jun 03, 2017
Some may disagree, but the truth is that he was never really funny. It always seemed like he was trying too hard.

11 Likes

Re: Teju Babyface Quit Stand-up Comedy, Reveals Why by seunny4lif(m): 4:41pm On Jun 03, 2017
RoyalBoutique:

English is survived by a wife and 6 children.

It will be missed.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nollywood's Hottest Moms / Davido Reacts To Fight With Boity At His Concert In Zimbabwe Over Sex Demand / Moesha Boduong Poses With Christmas Tree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.