Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,912 members, 7,806,647 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:49 PM

UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft (15090 Views)

UI Student Develops Lemongrass-based Insecticides Against Beans Weevils / Dupe Ademola-Popoola Develops TELVIS, Blindness Detection Kit / Obasanjo's Letter To Buhari Used In UNILORIN 100 Level Mass Comm Exam Questions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jun 05, 2017
The Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, University of Ilorin, has developed a prototype anti-theft device that can remotely monitor and detect customers stealing electricity.

According to the acting head of the department, M. Akorede, the device, which can also cut the main supply to the location of such illegal act, will simultaneously send a message to the utility control room to alert the system operator with the customers’ details displayed on the control panel.

Mr. Akorede disclosed that the Unilorin Laboratory to Product Centre (LABTOP) has started the processes for patenting the invention.
He said that the invention was put together by him and some students of the department.
The students, who are currently on National Youth Service, are T. Olalekan, R. Adepoju, D. Itodo and M. Dickson.

“I gave the project to my undergraduate students; they carried out the project to a level and I took it over and brought it to a level that was up to a standard that we presented it at the NURESDEF, Abuja, a couple of months ago,” he said.

He noted that the invention is now up to the standard that it can be patented.
“I have brought this to the attention of the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBEDC) although not officially… if adopted, the device would enable distribution companies to cut their commercial losses substantially.”

Commenting further, he said, “People like to use electricity without paying for it. A lot of people that have been able to get the prepaid meter even though they can afford to pay their bills still want to bypass this thing to steal electricity and this is not helping the companies; it is not helping all of us as a whole. If the industry should collapse, everybody would bear the brunt of that problem and that is why the consumers too have to share out of the problem.”

While noting that distribution companies (DISCOs) also have their share of the blame by not wanting to take on responsibilities such as faulty transformers, Mr. Akored bemoaned the lack of political will, inadequate funding as well as obsolete infrastructure in the industry for the current problem associated with power failures in the country.

He. However, pointed out that the tripartite arms of generation, transmission and distribution lack adequate funding in the sense that some of their equipment are over-aged and need to be replaced.
“They need funding to expand their facilities such that a transformer, for example, will not be overloaded, because if power is supplied to an overloaded transformer, it means the customers will not enjoy good quality electricity supply,” he said.

The head of department also noted that the current clamour for generation companies to sell power directly to consumers may not make much difference in boosting power supply to Nigerians.
“Technically, I don’t think it would work out fine; I don’t think there is going to be much difference as such… that is likely to add to the problem in the energy industry because we already have people managing distribution while another is managing transmission from generation companies to make it available to distribution companies.

“Each of these stakeholders is looking at the specific roles given to them. So, if it is now muddled up again, I think there will be problem in the society,” he submitted.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/north-central/233077-unilorin-develops-device-to-check-electricity-theft.html

cc: lalasticlala

6 Likes

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by Afonjashapmouth: 2:39pm On Jun 05, 2017
AHHH!!! with the already tapped 20billion wires this machine go catch fire except e get him own turbine wey dey power am.... grin grin grin nice innovation though hope it can be perfected and made to use

13 Likes

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by steveturner24(m): 3:47pm On Jun 05, 2017
That's a welcome development....we only hope the project will go forward from here

5 Likes

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by OZAOEKPE(f): 3:47pm On Jun 05, 2017
I am a proud product of BETTER BY FAR university

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by kolnel: 3:47pm On Jun 05, 2017
I wonder how the Nigerian mind was wired
Just to cheat each other, from the leaders to the followers
In sane places
Every body pays their bills

I keep saying it
The Americans don't even like themselves
But they love their country

God bless America

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by dimeji877(m): 3:48pm On Jun 05, 2017
Dem try
Next please..
Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jun 05, 2017
Very good.

But knowing Nigerians....someone will soon invent a device to block the device.

41 Likes

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jun 05, 2017
Lets wait and see if it will be put into use
Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by YINKS89(m): 3:49pm On Jun 05, 2017
I rep unilorin.... We re d best

4 Likes

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by jessyjames100(f): 3:49pm On Jun 05, 2017
nice one
Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jun 05, 2017
Na who send them?
Make dem wait till them grad and no see job and no fit afford pay and the same thing dem develop will hunt them.
Nigeria is not a normal clime where normal things work!
Btw, I'm sure itll end in the pages of newspapers.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by Chiefpriest1(m): 3:49pm On Jun 05, 2017
Lol. Yawa don gas for some people. I know some folks that don't even feel guilty stealing power from PHCN.

They feel , those people are thieves too just like Mtn and dstv. Thief don dey thief thief.

10 Likes

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by Kobicove(m): 3:50pm On Jun 05, 2017
This does not sound like a new invention to me undecided
Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by yoruBADboi(m): 3:50pm On Jun 05, 2017
Ok

Nxt news is?
Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jun 05, 2017
YINKS89:
I rep unilorin.... We re d best

can I hear somebody shout "BETTER BY FAR"

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by SalamRushdie: 3:50pm On Jun 05, 2017
Good invention but who told this prof Nepa is concerned about electricity theft , PHCN is more concerned about how to maximise it's own theft by selling darkness to consumers under the guise of estimated billing

7 Likes

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by ademega(m): 3:50pm On Jun 05, 2017
We are getting their... Last we we launched a missile now how to block our innovation of tapping electricity that is not even regular. It's well.
Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by NairalandCS(m): 3:50pm On Jun 05, 2017
Oga o.

Dem go cut papa emeka light be that. grin

3 Likes

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by jaytime(m): 3:51pm On Jun 05, 2017
Good development. But if Electricity authority did their own side of job well, nobody will gladly be involved in power stealing.

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by mailingdgreat: 3:52pm On Jun 05, 2017
I see someone else trying to invent another device to frustrate this invention. If peradventure he doesn't succeed, den make effort to secure the unilorin lecturer and em boiz wey carry out d invention before boiz without joy go nak dem down!
Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by salford: 3:52pm On Jun 05, 2017
But smart meters are already doing since 2005 in some countries undecided

2 Likes

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by omotoladarasimi(m): 3:52pm On Jun 05, 2017
wonderful achievement....
Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by madridguy(m): 3:53pm On Jun 05, 2017
You're a product of Fulani makaranta and you will still come here to abuse Sai Baba. tongue tongue

OZAOEKPE:

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by manitoba(m): 3:55pm On Jun 05, 2017
Nice one from Better By Far
Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by Lanre4uonly(m): 3:56pm On Jun 05, 2017
Good development.
Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by simplyhonest(m): 3:57pm On Jun 05, 2017
good one
Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jun 05, 2017
This is a welcome development... Those stealing electricity will not like this...
Someone should help me with that picture that says "which kind wahala be this"...
Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by Howmon: 4:00pm On Jun 05, 2017
Where is the electricity wey una wan detect?
Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by olasaad(f): 4:03pm On Jun 05, 2017
OZAOEKPE:

Lol.so u are a product of unilorin and you will be talking as if you've not been to the north before.

1 Like

Re: UNILORIN Develops Device To Check Electricity Theft by vislabraye(m): 4:12pm On Jun 05, 2017
Who give them this kind project nah angry . Make guys no do runs again ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oyedepo - Covenant University Will Be Among World’s Top 10 By 2022 / Most Amazing Mummy Discoveries Around The World(Photos) / Lautech Lagos Centre Mba Programme Pls Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.