Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:22 AM

Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job (13632 Views)

Top Interview Mistakes You Should Avoid / Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid / Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by metroblogger: 3:11pm On Jun 05, 2017
It’s a well-known fact that an interview can make or break your chances of getting a job, regardless of how impressive your resume is or how great a fit you believe you are for the job. To have a great interview, there some things or habits (mistakes) you should ensure you avoid to improve your chances of excelling in an interview. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 4 common interview mistakes that can cost you a job.

Oversharing

As much as possible, you should try to remember that you’re speaking to an interviewer not a gist partner. Sometimes, in an attempt to project confidence, an interviewee might become way too chatty, sharing unnecessary details of events he/she has no business talking about in an interview. Be sure to keep your nerves in check and stick to more straight to the point answers. Practicing your approach to interview questions beforehand can go a long way in helping you succeed.

Answering Questions in a Rehearsed Way

At the end of the day, interviewers want to genuinely interact with an interviewee and get some insight into his/her true nature and character. This is difficult to do when the interviewee is almost robotic with responses and mannerisms. Even if you have come across the questions asked before, try as much as possible to be authentic with your answers and to let your personality come through. Smile, loosen up a little and don’t be stiff, regardless of how terribly nervous you might feel.

Not Being Smart With Your Mannerisms

Nobody wants a dull, slow or unresponsive person as an employee, as a result interviewers tends to be put off by interviewees that are not smart and quick-witted with their mannerisms. Try as much as you can to avoid talking slowly when answering or asking questions. Project your voice when you speak, avoid sounding dull and speaking in low tones. Make appropriate eye contact (don’t stare down at the interviewer) and also avoid talking too quickly. Ensure you’re audible when you speak and you’re voice projects as much confidence as you can muster, regardless of how nervous you feel.

Giving Uninformed Answers to Questions About the Company

If don’t know something about the company, you should refrain for scrambling to come up with just any answer to the question. Ensure you do your research about the company of course, but if there is something you don’t know, be tactful with how you answer the question. You can offer to share the information you do know or are sure of about the company. Or you can apologize for the oversight, and assure the interviewer you will extend your research and learn the answer to the question asap. This might not totally save you, but it’s much better than giving an uninformed answer. However, you should ensure as much as you can that this never happens and you do your research well enough to answer any question about the company.

http://www.metronaija.com/2017/06/common-interview-mistakes-that-can-cost.html

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by Goldenheart(m): 7:12pm On Jun 05, 2017
To all the job seekers out there....never give up! grin

1 Like

Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by Ezedon(m): 7:12pm On Jun 05, 2017
Where is the job first

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by Nnamddi(m): 7:12pm On Jun 05, 2017
Sometimes, you get all these things right, you won't still get the job.

one Oga will just bring his candidate and that's the end of the story.

8 Likes

Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by kfrosh: 7:12pm On Jun 05, 2017
Stories that touch the soul.

2 Likes

Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by adorablevic: 7:13pm On Jun 05, 2017
OK, we have heard.. so where's d job we r preparing for

5 Likes

Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by sirugos(m): 7:13pm On Jun 05, 2017
For those that is looking for job.. not for me
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by pythonkid(m): 7:13pm On Jun 05, 2017
jj
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by SexyNairalander: 7:13pm On Jun 05, 2017
booked

1 Like

Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by Firgemachar: 7:15pm On Jun 05, 2017
Una no dey tire
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by chiscodedon(m): 7:17pm On Jun 05, 2017
Nix share.. Now ready for shell..oya,bring it on
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by Dollipsejay(m): 7:19pm On Jun 05, 2017
nice
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by lyricalz: 7:19pm On Jun 05, 2017
Ayaf hear
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by experimentist: 7:20pm On Jun 05, 2017
I read am finish sha! shocked
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by chiefolododo(m): 7:24pm On Jun 05, 2017
All these things you are sharing , there rise god oo
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by mekstaniac(m): 7:32pm On Jun 05, 2017
Where the job dey 1st of all?
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by naturalwaves: 7:33pm On Jun 05, 2017
I have failed aptitute tests before but never an interview. Well, for interviews, I think the key is just to be yourself. Answer questions normally and objectively, do not get afraid of what the next question will look like nor get tensed. Just listen carefully and answer as smartly as you can. No ehm.....ehm...ehm....if you do not know the answer to a question, state it and do not beat about the bush. If you need clarifications, ask! What has worked for me most is the way I look at interviewers/ interviewer into the eyes. A lady interviewer once asked me to please stop looking at her because I made her feel shy rather than make me feel shy. While looking straight into her eyeballs and paying attention as she asked her questions, she could not gather her thoughts together anymore and had to restart the questions grin grin. I got the job! Show confidence , never look down, smile if something amuses you and laugh if a question is funny. Just be yourself. After all, they are not going to flog you. Above all, value yourself, never show desperation, go with the mentality that the company needs you more than you need them and it is theirs to lose if they do not hire you and remember to take a long, slow, deep breathe before you go face the panel. cheesy

18 Likes

Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by danemenike: 7:35pm On Jun 05, 2017
Hmm
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by Ezi39: 7:52pm On Jun 05, 2017
I am yet to
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by Ezi39: 7:53pm On Jun 05, 2017
I am yet to meet a company with well trained HRM in interview venues. Each time I am interviewed, I used to see a group of people who are playing the role of SSS. They are only after those that will say what they can afford to pay.
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by RobbStark(m): 7:59pm On Jun 05, 2017
Wish me well people, I have one interview tomorrow here in Port Harcourt. A design/construction firm.

6 Likes

Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by AreaFada2: 8:15pm On Jun 05, 2017
Cool.
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by uzoexcel(m): 9:40pm On Jun 05, 2017
RobbStark:
Wish me well people, I have one interview tomorrow here in Port Harcourt.
A design/construction firm.

Tell them they need to employ u and fast so u can build a wall.Winter is coming and the white walkers aren't joking

1 Like

Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by RobbStark(m): 10:57pm On Jun 05, 2017
uzoexcel:

Tell them they need to employ u and fast so u can build a wall.Winter is coming and the white walkers aren't joking

Lol!
I will tell them that. Tnx

1 Like

Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by sunnx(f): 12:30am On Jun 06, 2017
naturalwaves:
I have failed aptitute tests before but never an interview. Well, for interviews, I think the key is just to be yourself. Answer questions normally and objectively, do not get afraid of what the next question will look like nor get tensed. Just listen carefully and answer as smartly as you can. No ehm.....ehm...ehm....if you do not know the answer to a question, state it and do not beat about the bush. If you need clarifications, ask! What has worked for me most is the way I look at interviewers/ interviewer into the eyes. A lady interviewer once asked me to please stop looking at her because I made her feel shy rather than make me feel shy. While looking straight into her eyeballs and paying attention as she asked her questions, she could not gather her thoughts together anymore and had to restart the questions grin grin. I got the job! Show confidence , never look down, smile if something amuses you and laugh if a question is funny. Just be yourself. After all, they are not going to flog you. Above all, value yourself, never show desperation, go with the mentality that the company needs you more than you need them and it is theirs to lose if they do not hire you and remember to take a long, slow, deep breathe before you go face the panel. cheesy

Go and wewe; i mean pee if your confidence is failing too and put a smile when you almost get to the interviewer present and greet them politely and expect them to speak before you respond.
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by naturalwaves: 8:09am On Jun 06, 2017
sunnx:

Go and wewe; i mean pee if your confidence is failing too and put a smile when you almost get to the interviewer present and greet them politely and expect them to speak before you respond.
Funny you @ wewe. Greet them politely in what way? By bowing your head or what? cheesy. I think a smile with a simple " Good morning" or " good morning ladies and gentlemen " would do.
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by generaluthman: 11:38am On Jun 06, 2017
Point
Re: Common Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You A Job by supergist1(m): 11:27pm On Jul 14, 2018
Common Job Interview Mistakes That Can Cost You a Job, When you are going for a job interview this is what you should have in mind that an interview can make you or break your chances of ever getting that dream job you want, no matter how great and how impressive your resume or CV is.

(1) (Reply)

Letter Of Employment-sign Homes Ltd / Hey Our Dear Guys, Have You Started Uploading Your Deployment Letters? / Zenith Bank Recruitment 2018: Requirements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.