Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries (30230 Views)

Why Mosquitoes Are In Love With You / Benefits Of Early Morning Sex By UNILORIN Professor, Musa Yakubu / Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by DJInfluence: 9:34am On Jun 06, 2017
etzskillz:
u mean ur family friend
hahahahaha ...best response i have read today.
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by semyman: 9:35am On Jun 06, 2017
There are varied degree of mental health condition and mental health challenges. Okay, he is a Zoologist just like GEJ(Stealing is not corruption)

1 Like

Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by free2ryhme: 9:35am On Jun 06, 2017
EDonHappen:
A Professor of Entomology at the University of Ilorin, Adeolu Ande, has decried killing mosquitoes, saying the insects are friends to humans that deserved to be properly managed.

Ande made the statement on Monday in Ilorin in a paper he presented at a public seminar organised by the university.

In his paper with the title “Consider the ways of Ants and be Wise,” the entomologist described insects as the “most successful and influential group’’ of organisms in the biosphere.

He said that humans had a lot to learn from insects in order to be wise.

“Human life is beset with inevitable associations with insects that have over the years influenced human destiny positively and negatively.

“Negative influences, such as disease transmission, crop losses, food spoilage, economic losses and nuisance value caused by less than 5 per cent of insect species have been exaggerated by man.

He said that positive influences of insects are not unappreciated and downplayed.

He listed some of them to include: pollination of flowers, waste recycling and sustenance of the ecosystem.

Others, he said, include source of silk, shellac, cochineal, therapeutic agents, aesthetics, biological control agents and food source.

The don said that man deliberately misunderstood the role of mosquitoes and frequently described them as causing the diseases they transmit.

He said: “in the actual sense, mosquitoes are equally sick but inadvertently and unwillingly convey pathogens that are the real causal agents of these diseases.

“The female mosquito could be described as an example of a true mother who is forced to undertake suicide mission in its bid to provide for its unborn children.

“The adult female mosquitoes have exceptional value for child raising hence the level of commitment and risk they take on the mission that entails decision between life and death.

“The after effect of this commitment is a well thought out plan that forestalls most of the factors that may stand in the way of raising good children.

“I am sure most human females will not take comparable decision in the face of similar attendant risks.

“It is however certain that children born after well thought out and risky conditions are better posited for quality living than those produced carelessly.

Ande said that mosquitoes had proved over the years that they are our friends and allies, adding that if we like them or not, they would exist and continue to source blood from humans.

The professor called for improvement in Zoology curriculum to ensure better focus on organisms that feature prominently around man.

He said that zoologists were expected to be the foster parents of animals in the Zoo, adding that they should be familiar with their needs and their health status

NAN

http://www.looknaija.com/2017/06/mosquitoes-friends-stop-killing-unilorin-professor-decries/

this one weak me oooo

1 Like

Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by FakoMaybach1: 9:36am On Jun 06, 2017
Afonja professor, i mean what else can we expect from the sophisticated ones
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by 234ng44uk(m): 9:37am On Jun 06, 2017
Still didn't explain how mosquito is our friend. That the most dangerous creature on earth, killing million babies, pregnant women and other vulnerable people is our friend for whatever reason beats me. Other than malaria, more recently a type mosquitoes distributes the Zika virus that deforms babies at birth. What good is that?

This Prof is trying to sell an ideology, it's more worrisome that that ideology is coming from the Islamic university of Ilorin: that dangerous "creatures" are all our friends and we must protect them because they fight for a cause. How pathetic!

Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by kingPhidel(m): 9:37am On Jun 06, 2017
Ah... Se you werey ni?

Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by Chitumu: 9:39am On Jun 06, 2017
lol he should start sleeping naked outside or near pond or rivers, we are in the rainy season now he will have plenty of mosquito n insect friend. I think his prof title should be revoked ASAP. I hate mosquito i am ever ready to smash one on sight anytime anyday.
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by yrex01(m): 9:40am On Jun 06, 2017
Professor: Mosquitoes are our friends, do not kill them Mosquitoes:

1 Like

Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by mmsen: 9:44am On Jun 06, 2017
I heard that there are extreme forms of malaria that can make a man go crazy.
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by dahunsy(f): 9:44am On Jun 06, 2017
Coughs***clears throat# Ande is now a prof grin grin.....that guy back in the days loves...........
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by omogidi234(m): 9:44am On Jun 06, 2017
grin grin cheesy grin grin
ajigiteri:
Too much of knowledge at times is equal to madness
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by sylva1(m): 9:45am On Jun 06, 2017
However you look at it, mosquitoes is never man's friend!
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by lagosrd: 9:46am On Jun 06, 2017
Go and tell that to those innocent students you people camped like a secondary school students whom you think should have no freedom of any sort because they are simply under your care.
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by itachi081: 9:47am On Jun 06, 2017
Lalastic sad
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by caljulator(m): 9:50am On Jun 06, 2017
Prof All work and no play will make you talk nonsense
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by bigfather(m): 9:51am On Jun 06, 2017
EDonHappen:
A Professor of Entomology at the University of Ilorin, Adeolu Ande, has decried killing mosquitoes, saying the insects are friends to humans that deserved to be properly managed.

Ande made the statement on Monday in Ilorin in a paper he presented at a public seminar organised by the university.

In his paper with the title “Consider the ways of Ants and be Wise,” the entomologist described insects as the “most successful and influential group’’ of organisms in the biosphere.

He said that humans had a lot to learn from insects in order to be wise.

“Human life is beset with inevitable associations with insects that have over the years influenced human destiny positively and negatively.

“Negative influences, such as disease transmission, crop losses, food spoilage, economic losses and nuisance value caused by less than 5 per cent of insect species have been exaggerated by man.

He said that positive influences of insects are not unappreciated and downplayed.

He listed some of them to include: pollination of flowers, waste recycling and sustenance of the ecosystem.

Others, he said, include source of silk, shellac, cochineal, therapeutic agents, aesthetics, biological control agents and food source.

The don said that man deliberately misunderstood the role of mosquitoes and frequently described them as causing the diseases they transmit.

He said: “in the actual sense, mosquitoes are equally sick but inadvertently and unwillingly convey pathogens that are the real causal agents of these diseases.

“The female mosquito could be described as an example of a true mother who is forced to undertake suicide mission in its bid to provide for its unborn children.

“The adult female mosquitoes have exceptional value for child raising hence the level of commitment and risk they take on the mission that entails decision between life and death.

“The after effect of this commitment is a well thought out plan that forestalls most of the factors that may stand in the way of raising good children.

“I am sure most human females will not take comparable decision in the face of similar attendant risks.

“It is however certain that children born after well thought out and risky conditions are better posited for quality living than those produced carelessly.

Ande said that mosquitoes had proved over the years that they are our friends and allies, adding that if we like them or not, they would exist and continue to source blood from humans.

The professor called for improvement in Zoology curriculum to ensure better focus on organisms that feature prominently around man.

He said that zoologists were expected to be the foster parents of animals in the Zoo, adding that they should be familiar with their needs and their health status

NAN

http://www.looknaija.com/2017/06/mosquitoes-friends-stop-killing-unilorin-professor-decries/

What is this one saying? undecided
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by dbossbuggy(m): 9:51am On Jun 06, 2017
Mad professor....

I have webmail, mailers, smtp, RDP.
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by ellance11(m): 9:52am On Jun 06, 2017
[quote author=ajigiteri post=57232597]Too much of knowledge at times is equal to madness
Funny you
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by trendyupdates: 9:52am On Jun 06, 2017
The professor saying mosquitoes are our friend should come let me place him in a room where mosquitoes breed shirtless for 3 days, lets see if he could be bold enough to make that statement for the second time. How to apply for MTN Nigeria graduate massive recruitment 2017
http://trendyupdates.com.ng/apply-mtn-nigeria-massive-graduate-recruitment-2017-apply-now/
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by mrMeen(m): 9:54am On Jun 06, 2017
wallahi this guy is mad where was this guy when mosquitoes were destroying my body yesterday I covered my body with blanket inside heat but you know what they did they attacked my phucking forehead my toenails oh did I mention toe nails please has a mosquito even bite you on your toe nail worst feeling ever.

1 Like

Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by cyborg123(m): 9:57am On Jun 06, 2017
grin
I am trying to find some sense in the prof. calling mosquitoes our friends but I just can not. What benefit do they do to us? None... However, they can disturb your sleep severely, causing a lot of illnesses besides making you unproductive all through the day.

We need to investigate the professor's definition of friendship.
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by Olobitat: 9:57am On Jun 06, 2017
funny, near impossible to practice but as true as truth can be
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by JMK9600(f): 9:57am On Jun 06, 2017
But to be sincere, mosquitoes are beautiful creatures. When you study them, you will love them. It's just a pity the females need our blood to develop their eggs. I agree with the professor. Male mosquitoes don't bite only the female does. And to show their love to us, after biting (which most of us don't know) they give us a type of anagelsic which is to aid blood clot. You only feel the pain there after and you will think you have just been bitten.

1 Like

Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by ivolt: 10:00am On Jun 06, 2017
Every insect contribute both positively and negatively to the environment,
however the death and disaster caused by mosquitoes far outweigh any positive
effect.
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by NeuroBoss(m): 10:00am On Jun 06, 2017
The then Dr Ande was my lecturer at the University of Ilorin at the Department of Zoology. He is arguably on of the best lecture red in Unilorin and everyone loves him.

In our entomology classes, Dr Ande has always been saying this from the biological roles some of these insects play and trying to downplay their notorious acts.

My Oga is not oblivious of the harms mosquitoes have caused and are still causing.

I hope I were there, I am very sure he would have comically and intelligently proved his points.

Professor Ande is the best.

We all loved him.

Unilorin, 2011 Zoology graduate.

3 Likes

Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by joenor(m): 10:05am On Jun 06, 2017
The one tire me.
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by Sike(m): 10:07am On Jun 06, 2017
thunder fire this professor
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by shumuel(m): 10:08am On Jun 06, 2017
It's officiial, Kwara Weed is now stronger than Oshogbo Weed grin

This is why the call them Mad scientist, soon they would tell us Cow poo is good for the health angry
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by ipobarecriminals: 10:08am On Jun 06, 2017
mrvitalis:
This guy just need to come to port Harcourt.. Or bayelsa ..open his door all night and just sleep without cloths ..

After that I can believe u on this
that place is too far.Let him come and spend a week n Lekki.
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:08am On Jun 06, 2017
He said:
“in the actual sense, mosquitoes are equally sick but inadvertently and unwillingly convey pathogens that are the real causal agents of these diseases.
The female mosquito could be described as an example of a true mother who is forced to undertake suicide mission in its bid to provide for its unborn children.
The adult female mosquitoes have exceptional value for child raising hence the level of commitment and risk they take on the mission that entails decision between life and death ...."

These are the people that teach undergraduates. Can he defend this thesis in a respectable academic setting ?
Naija don die long ago .
Re: Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries by symbianDON(m): 10:09am On Jun 06, 2017
see wetin ilorin weed turn prof to grin prof don kolo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Emmanuel Oyediran, Beggar Undergoes Surgery For Colostomy Prolapse / All Health Workers Can Now Be Consultants-fg / Nursing Mother Electrocuted In Benue (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.