Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,677 members, 7,801,952 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:47 AM

Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance (12620 Views)

Lagos, Rivers Lead As States Domestic Debts Hit N4.1tn / Atiku Shocked By Nigeria’s Debt Profile, Says Nation In Financial Crisis / Ondo Records Fastest IGR Growth As Nigerian States Generate N1.1tn In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Captain1Nigeria(m): 9:59am On Jun 06, 2017
Na good luck fault abi?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Sunnycliff(m): 9:59am On Jun 06, 2017
Why the hallyballo about recovered funds when we are in such an abyss of debt?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by siraj1402(m): 10:00am On Jun 06, 2017
Rising of our debt does not matter,what are we indebted on ni Koso.
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by bigfather(m): 10:00am On Jun 06, 2017
new2020:
Hausa-Fulani and Yorubaa will destroy this country...they are just scattering everything like babies.

grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by gr8eminent(m): 10:00am On Jun 06, 2017
who cares
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by LordAdam16: 10:01am On Jun 06, 2017
We wouldn't see the dolt gberra and his band of misfits seunmsg et cetera here.

-Lord

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by felixomor: 10:01am On Jun 06, 2017
So where is all the TSA and recovered funds they have been singing about?

We are virtually borrowing to pay politicians.
Thats what it has become.

God, please deliver Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by SalamRushdie: 10:04am On Jun 06, 2017
KahlDrogo:
Despite the drastic fall in FG income sue to the near total collapse in oil prices at the international market, the FG still managed to check her borrowing, maintaining it at 3trillion in two years! That is absolutely commendable if you ask me.

The question therefore is, how did we end up owing as much as 8trillion under years of surplus earnings? He had oil selling at over $110 pb yet our debt profile (FG) was still on the increase. What logical explanation can President NOI and her vice, Jonathan, give as to why we needed to borrow to pay salaries when oil sold at $75pb?

Don't you have any shame son, if I curse you now I hope you know it will catch you easily

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Fessy09(m): 10:05am On Jun 06, 2017
and they'll be saying bubu is working

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by ACHILLES45: 10:09am On Jun 06, 2017
IN JUST 2 YEARS? AND YET THEY PLAN TO BORROW TO FUND THE FRAUD CALLED BUDGET?

THE VEGETABLE HAS FINISHED US ALL IN THIS COUNTRY.

WHAT BECOMES OF OUR CHILDREN, IS IT because THEY HAVE STOLEN ENOUGH WEALTH FOR THEIR ENTIRE GENERATIONS.

THIS IS WHAT AFONJAS HAS BROUGHT ON US ALL BY IMPOSING A DYING VEGETABLE ON US, EVEN WHEN THEY KNEW HE WAS CLEARLY INCAPABLE AND LACKS WHAT IT TAKES TO RULE NIGERIA.

SHAME ON AFONJAS.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Nobody: 10:10am On Jun 06, 2017
I am not surprised.

This is the 'benefit' of being an oil-dependent economy. When oil prices are high, you become accustomed to the 'good life'. When oil prices fall down, you borrow to keep on living the good life due to falling rates.

Usually, you try to save during the years of plenty for the years of lean times (The Book of Genesis...Joseph's interpretation of the seven fat and thin cows is a very good analogy of what is going on). But eventually, your savings run low even during the lean years (see Joseph having to buy the Egyptians in order to give them grain ....) and eventually you HAVE TO borrow.

(And yes....the money we are recovering....isn't enough to cover the losses...especially as much of it is still tied up in court processes.).

The main solution is for this administration to cut subsidies, raise taxes, end corruption, and take loans to aggressively improve power and transport, as well as thoroughly regulate the mining sector....with a view to making Nigeria a nation dependent on what we make to survive....not on oil or any other resource...whose price is high today, rock bottom tomorrow.
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Nobody: 10:14am On Jun 06, 2017
felixomor:
So where is all the TSA and recovered funds they have been singing about?

We are virtually borrowing to pay politicians.
Thats what it has become.

God, please deliver Nigeria.

Well....in 2013...oil was 110 dollars and above per barrel.

By 2015....oil had fallen to 75 dollars per barrel. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala was warning by Jan 2015 that based on trends, whoever won the eelction that year would face hard times.

Now oil is $49 per barrel. That means we are earning 50-60 dollars less than we did in 2013. Based on that, I am not surprised we are borrowing.

And we cannot fight corrupt politicans because we Nigerians love them

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by joe120120(m): 10:15am On Jun 06, 2017
Illegal
THIS NONSENSE.
WHAT IS THIS OLD LIE APC GOVT IS DEMONSTRATING.
FAILED APC FAIL APC
YOUTH RISE YOUTH RISE TO TAKE OVER WHAT BELONG TO U

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Nobody: 10:18am On Jun 06, 2017
Captain1Nigeria:
Na good luck fault abi?

More the fault of our economy which has been dependent on the sale of raw materials, and importation of lots of finished stuff from the revenues of those raw materials.

This leaves us at the mercy of

1.Falling prices of whatever resource we sell.

2.Policies of manufacturing nations. A manufacturing nation like Japan, Korea or Germany can devalue their currency. to benefit their domestic manufacturers..and as a result, we need to pay more for the stuff we import

We need to go industrial. No choice.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Nobody: 10:18am On Jun 06, 2017
nurex01:
Efforts are being made to secure more foreign debts and reduce the exposure of the Federal Government to the domestic debt market.

That there is the change Nigerians voted for.

Effort to borrow more. Not effort to get out of debt.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by smartty68(m): 10:18am On Jun 06, 2017
sinistermind:
When i see such things, to comment go just weak me.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by felixomor: 10:19am On Jun 06, 2017
9jakohai:

Well....in 2013...oil was 110 dollars and above per barrel.

By 2015....oil had fallen to 75 dollars per barrel. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala was warning by Jan 2015 that based on trends, whoever won the eelction that year would face hard times.

Now oil is $49 per barrel. That means we are earning 50-60 dollars less than we did in 2013. Based on that, I am not surprised we are borrowing.

And we cannot fight corrupt politicans because we Nigerians love them
I am not their fans but let me ask u,
Do you know how much oil was under Obasanjo and Yaradua?

Did they ever use it as excuse one day?
Do u know the promises these guys made before they were voted?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Nobody: 10:19am On Jun 06, 2017
Shut up..aboki
KahlDrogo:
Despite the drastic fall in FG income sue to the near total collapse in oil prices at the international market, the FG still managed to check her borrowing, maintaining it at 3trillion in two years! That is absolutely commendable if you ask me.

The question therefore is, how did we end up owing as much as 8trillion under years of surplus earnings? He had oil selling at over $110 pb yet our debt profile (FG) was still on the increase. What logical explanation can President NOI and her vice, Jonathan, give as to why we needed to borrow to pay salaries when oil sold at $75pb?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by system21: 10:19am On Jun 06, 2017
By the time APC finance their 2017 budget Nigeria debt would climb to 30trn

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by eph12(m): 10:19am On Jun 06, 2017
I don't even have problem with all these debts, I'm more concerned about what the money is used for
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Nobody: 10:22am On Jun 06, 2017
9jakohai:

More the fault of our economy which has been dependent on the sale of raw materials, and importation of lots of finished stuff from the revenues of those raw materials.

This leaves us at the mercy of

1.Falling prices of whatever resource we sell.

2.Policies of manufacturing nations. A manufacturing nation like Japan, Korea or Germany can devalue their currency. to benefit their domestic manufacturers..and as a result, we need to pay more for the stuff we import

We need to go industrial. No choice.

Which nation ever industrialized without fossil power?
And your buhari is up and about signing paris climate agreement.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Nobody: 10:24am On Jun 06, 2017
Pavarottii:

SHUT UP! At least fuel was sold for 87naira. Now that fuel is sold for 145naira. Tell me why u av to borrow almost 8 trillion in 2years. Na wa poop. U can support rubbish o.

1.Fuel sold for far more than N87 outside Lagos and Abuja.

2.We have to borrow N8 trillion in 2 years....because

a) Our oil earnings have fallen. In 2013...OIL was $110 and above per barrel. In 2015, oil fell to $75 per barrel. GEJ's govt was already borrowing then in the last few months of its administration to meet obligations. In 2016...oil went down to $29 and now today it is at $50.

That means that Nigeria over the last two years has lost $50-80 dollars in potential earnings per barrel of oil. When the sums add up...that is a big loss

b) Nigeria needs oil to be at $123 per barrel to meet all its needs. That's why GEJ was borrowing...even at $110 the money we were earing was still not enough....and we were still losing lots of oil to oil theft then.

c) Nigeria's problem is our resource dependent economy
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by smartty68(m): 10:24am On Jun 06, 2017
Let them just auction out Nigeria lemme rest abeg...

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by slap1(m): 10:24am On Jun 06, 2017
How much goes into the failing health of Buhari?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Wolexpoly: 10:25am On Jun 06, 2017
CHISOSSSSSSSSS!!!........JUST IN 2YEARS NIGERIA HAS DROWNED......YET WE KEEP BORROWING........ABEG I DONT UNDASTAND.......JAGABANS IN TOP SEES IT AS AN OPPURTUNITY TO PLEAD WITH NIGERIANS TO BORROW MORE FROM IMF/ WORLD BANK , SO DAT THEY CAN SHARE NATIONAL CAKE AMONG THEMSELVES ALL IN THE SHADOW OF DABBLIN INTO INVESTMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURES WEY WE NO DEY SEE.....NIGERIA KEEP SNOWBALLING FROM WORSE TO WORST UNDER BUHARI AND SOME GULLIBLE PPLE STILL WONT ADMIT THE TRUTH....NITHING IS GETTING BETTET.....U NEED TO SEE THE WAY PPLE ARE DYING......WHEN AN ADMINISTRATION INTENDS TO CHASE A GHOST CALLED CORRUPTION WHICH IS ONLY DIRECTED AT OPPOSITION, AND LEAVES OUT THE MAIN FUNCTION OF FEEDING, SECURING AND REGULATING THE NATION IN A STRAIGHT CHECKS AND BALANCES TO STRIKE AN EQUILIBRUM, WHAT HAPPENS IS THAT THE REST OF THE NATION SUFFERS. THAT IS WHAT WE ARE FACING NOW.....OUR PRESIDENT EVEN IN HIS INCAPABLE CONDITION HAS REFUSED TO RESIGN TO A CAPABLE HANDS....WHY ARE ALL THEAE HAUSAS POWER DRUNK......CHAI.......GOD HELP NIGERIA SHA....VERY SOON AM TRAVELING TO SAN-FRANSISCO....SO GUYS WISH ME WELL...AM LEAVING THIS COUNTRY THAT HAS NO BEARING FOR GOOD.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by smartty68(m): 10:26am On Jun 06, 2017
Wolexpoly:
CHISOSSSSSSSSS!!!........JUST IN 2YEARS NIGERIA HAS DROWNED......YET WE KEEP BORROWING........ABEG I DONT UNDASTAND.......JAGABANS IN TOP SEES IT AS AN OPPURTUNITY TO PLEAD WITH NIGERIANS TO BORROW MORE FROM IMF/ WORLD BANK , SO DAT THEY CAN SHARE NATIONAL CAKE AMONG THEMSELVES ALL IN THE SHADOW OF DABBLIN INTO INVESTMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURES WEY WE NO DEY SEE.....NIGERIA KEEP SNOWBALLING FROM WORSE TO WORST UNDER BUHARI AND SOME GULLIBLE PPLE STILL WONT ADMIT THE TRUTH....NITHING IS GETTING BETTET.....U NEED TO SEE THE WAY PPLE ARE DYING......WHEN AN ADMINISTRATION INTENDS TO CHASE A GHOST CALLED CORRUPTION WHICH IS ONLY DIRECTED AT OPPOSITION, AND LEAVES OUT THE MAIN FUNCTION OF FEEDING, SECURING AND REGULATING THE NATION IN A STRAIGHT CHECKS AND BALANCES TO STRIKE AN EQUILIBRUM, WHAT HAPPENS IS THAT THE REST OF THE NATION SUFFERS. THAT IS WHAT WE ARE FACING NOW.....OUR PRESIDENT EVEN IN HIS INCAPABLE CONDITION HAS REFUSED TO RESIGN TO A CAPABLE HANDS....WHY ARE ALL THEAE HAUSAS POWER DRUNK......CHAI.......GOD HELP NIGERIA SHA....VERY SOON AM TRAVELING TO SAN-FRANSISCO....SO GUYS WISH ME WELL...AM LEAVING THIS COUNTRY THAT HAS NO BEARING FOR GOOD.
Guy why you let Naija problem make your comments the shout na! Abeg take am easy biko. What's left for them to do is to auction out the country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by mmsen: 10:27am On Jun 06, 2017
OZAOEKPE:
grin Let's see what BMC would tell us, they would blame Jonathan cheesy after 2 years he's gone

These people will be blaming Jonathan for their woes even 20 years after the man is dead.

Meanwhile they hail Obasanjo and Buhari as saints...

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Nobody: 10:28am On Jun 06, 2017
TheLordIsGr8:

Which nation ever industrialized without fossil power?
And your buhari is up and about signing paris climate agreement.

1.You misunderstood my comment.

2.When I say we need to leave oil.....I mean we need to stop relying on earnings from oil to meet our daily needs.

3.Paris actually does not put too many restrictions on developing countries....plus green energy could be an alternative source of power for industrial development via 1) refuse to power 2) Nuclear energy (yes!)

4.All in all...government needs to get serious. My comment is actually a critique. I think our governments have one weakness...they think we need to earn money from selling resources...when it leaves you open to damage from price fluctuations. We had that problem when agric was our main earner. We have that problem now with oil.

5.I am criticizing this govt constructively. Not all criticism of govt begins and ends with abuse....solutions need to be proposed.
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by omolizzy(f): 10:29am On Jun 06, 2017
KahlDrogo:

I don't give a Bleep about politics but reading what you wrote up there, I pray your life changes from how it is to how Nigerian economy is right now since you think Buhari is doing a good job. Gosh! You are pathetic, stupid, silly and an inconsiderate fool.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Impeachment: We Are Working To Resolve Ambode, Lawmakers Rift- APC / Pictures From Fire Incident At EFCC’s Enugu Command / Senate Calls On NERC, Power Distribution Companies To Allow Nigerians ‘Breathe’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.