Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,945 members, 7,799,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" (20976 Views)

If You Have A Personal Relationship With Your God Why Do You Need The Bible? / My Personal Encounter With Jesus On 8th June, 2019 / COZA Celebrates Easter With "Jesus Paid It All" Event!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by hopefulLandlord: 5:31pm On Jun 06, 2017
"I have a deep, personal relationship with Jesus Christ."

Do you gag as much as I do at hearing this? our Christians parrot it like the be all and end all but scratch the surface and you'll see that its all meaningless words meant to feel good and keep the sheep

let's see

I've known my sister for decades. we live miles apart so we only see each other every couple of years, I can tell you:

• how tall she is.

• what color her eyes are.

• what color and how curly her hair is.

• the different kinds of prescription drugs she takes, and what for.

• which parts of her have been operated on.

• which colleges she attended.

• what jobs she's held.

• what cities she's lived in.

• what her hobbies are.

• the names and breeds of the various dogs and cats she's had thru the years.

• her favorite sports teams, and which one she has season tickets for.

• the TV programs she watches regularly.

• that it's her on the phone just from the sound of her voice.

• her attitude toward eating meat.

• what kind of medical care she wants in case of a terminal illness.

• her favorite color.

• and about 50 other things.

Now that's a personal relationship. Could any of you Bible-thumpers manage even half a dozen comparable answers about your "deep, personal friend" Jesus? And, even assuming your overwrot imagination could in fact gin up a few stabs at them, what are chances that they'd agree with any other equally deluded "True Believer"? on the other hand, you could ask any of my sister's other good friends about the above characteristics, and I'm confident they'd give you the exact same answers I would. That's because my sister, unlike your Jesus, is real — a 3-dimensional, flesh-and-blood, living, breathing, real-world human being, with a life, preferences, substance, and history.

So, Mr. or Ms. True Believer, let's say you're walking across mall one day, you see your good buddy Jesus in a bunch of folks ahead of you, and you holler "Hey, J, dude, wait up!". Would he?

Let's not kid ourselves. This would never even happen because there's no way you'd be able to pick Jesus out of a crowd. Heck, you couldn't pick him out of a 1-person lineup. You wouldn't know him if he walked up to you on the street and handed you his business card. (In fact, it would tickle me pink to see your reaction if somebody actually did exactly that.)

you guys can't even agree on who this your "deep personal friend" Jesus is
There are those who believe Jesus IS God.
There are those who believe Jesus is the "Son" aspect of the trinity.
There are those who believe Jesus was a human being touched by god, and God spoke through him.
There are those who believe that Jesus was a man born with his "eyes opened", or "enlightened", and simply spoke what he knew, but was not God himself. (The phrase "Son of God" is often used to refer to Rabbis in general.) yet all these guys have "deep personal relationship" with the same entity

what does this Jesus want from you guys?
another disagreement upon disagreement ensues

So obviously, we both know exactly what your claim to have a "deep, personal relationship with Jesus Christ" is. It's bullsheeet. You know it's bullsheeet. Everybody else knows it's bullsheeet. The only reason you keep on repeating this bullsheeet is because it's the slogan of the club that some con artist or charlatan has suckered you into believing you really want to be a member of. All you have to do is keep repeating the magic bullsheeet phrase "I have a deep, personal relationship with Jesus Christ" and you can keep going to the club meetings. (Provided you keep paying the dues, too; let's not forget what's really important here.)

But don't think that repeating that phrase is going to win you anything but contempt or possibly some degree of pity from anyone with a functioning brain. All you're really demonstrating is that you don't know diddly squat about real relationships or the way the real world really works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLBDFe3mDtk

35 Likes 12 Shares

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by Lucario007(m): 5:38pm On Jun 06, 2017
Salty bruh. Salty.

4 Likes

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by hopefulLandlord: 5:40pm On Jun 06, 2017
Lucario007:
Salty bruh. Salty.

please humour me by showing which part is "salty" or I'll give you some chips to go with the salts you're holding

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by Lucario007(m): 5:46pm On Jun 06, 2017
Don't like Jesus? No problem.
Don't like religion. Sure thing.
Going off on a rant about how people are blind for following religion.... Nah.
Point is this, when you see a guy who says he believes in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, do you argue it out as to why he believes that or do you laugh and say "Pfft, sure, whatever."
Oh and Jesus was a real person. There are historical records proving his feet trekked across our earth. Whether he is the "Messiah" is actually what's up for debate.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by hopefulLandlord: 5:50pm On Jun 06, 2017
Lucario007:
Don't like Jesus? No problem.
I never said this
Don't like religion. Sure thing.
Going off on a rant about how people are blind for following religion.... Nah.
I never called anyone "blind" because they have imaginary friends

Point is this, when you see a guy who says he believes in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, do you argue it out as to why he believes that or do you laugh and say "Pfft, sure, whatever."
Oh and Jesus was a real person. There are historical records proving his feet trekked across our earth. Whether he is the "Messiah" is actually what's up for debate.
you've actually gone on a rant while projecting that on me, why not address the thread if you've got anything relating to it or ignore like the majority that have read the post so far?

and to address your rants you can read the post in the below link

https://www.nairaland.com/3397707/best-atheist-quotes-nairaland#50058064

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by ScepticalPyrrho: 6:06pm On Jun 06, 2017
"I have a personal relationship with God"

This is the most annoying and hypocritical sentence commonly used by so-called holyspirit tuned humans.

The most annoying part is that they can never agree on the meaning of this statement.

The fvcking arrogance when they make these claims in front of gullible people... angry

They still die the same way every other person dies...
They get hurt or sick like we all do...
They work for their pay all the same...

Useless relationship.

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by Lucario007(m): 6:11pm On Jun 06, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

I never said this

I never called anyone "blind" because they have imaginary friends

you've actually gone on a rant while projecting that on me, why not address the thread if you've got anything relating to it or ignore like the majority that have read the post so far?

and to address your rants you can read the post in the below link

https://www.nairaland.com/3397707/best-atheist-quotes-nairaland#50058064

So so salty.
You're coming off less and less like an intellectual individual with valid points and more and more like someone who's just angry at religion and wants to make it suffer. Like it kicked your Barbie dolls, so you decided to steal it's crayons.
Your tone is sarcastic, condescending and arrogant. Viewing other people's perspectives as "meaningless" calling them "Mr True believer" and deluded... Too salty.
Oh, and you're also too arrogant to admit that this entire article is a rant and nothing more.
You're sounding like the cliche hateful atheist and that's why I said it's salty.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by hopefulLandlord: 6:20pm On Jun 06, 2017
Lucario007:

So so salty.
prove you're not the one being salty

You're coming off less and less like an intellectual individual with valid points and more and more like someone who's just angry at religion and wants to make it suffer. Like it kicked your Barbie dolls, so you decided to steal it's crayons.
it appears you didn't check out the post I gave

Your tone is sarcastic, condescending and arrogant. Viewing other people's perspectives as "meaningless" calling them "Mr True believer" and deluded... Too salty.
Oh, and you're also too arrogant to admit that this entire article is a rant and nothing more.
You're sounding like the cliche hateful atheist and that's why I said it's salty.
you keep projecting this anger of a thing over and over, argument by assertion I see cheesy

I not only called it "meaningless" I explained why its meaningless and you've not in anyway challenged my explanation so far, therefore its safe to say its meaningless and all self deception, your being hurt by that won't change it one bit, get emotional all you want

"Mr True Believer" is used to connote what every believer calls his/herself while calling almost everyone else the opposite, eg, a redeemed member regards himself as "true believer" while calling Synagogue church members an untrue one etc due to this same "personal relationship with Christ" even though he and other redeemed members can't agree on what this Jesus wants and how he really is; the 'No True Scotsman fallacy"

and I never called myself "intellectual"

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by hopefulLandlord: 6:29pm On Jun 06, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
"I have a personal relationship with God"

This is the most annoying and hypocritical sentence commonly used by so-called holyspirit tuned humans.

The most annoying part is that they can never agree on the meaning of this statement.

The fvcking arrogance when they make these claims in front of gullible people... angry

They still die the same way every other person dies...
They get hurt or sick like we all do...
They work for their pay all the same...

Useless relationship.

I'm more intrigued by the claim that one has a personal experience of something immaterial. If you can see it then it has the material property of form. If you can hear it then it has the material property of sound. If you can smell it then it has the material property of...er, smell I guess (maybe odor is a better word). If you can feel it then it has the material property of texture. And if you can taste it then it has the material property of flavor. How then, does one experience something that has no material properties?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by Lucario007(m): 6:39pm On Jun 06, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

prove you're not the one being salty

it appears you didn't check out the post I gave
you keep projecting this anger of a thing over and over, argument by assertion I see cheesy

I not only called it "meaningless" I explained why its meaningless and you've not in anyway challenged my explanation so far, therefore its safe to say its meaningless and all self deception, your being hurt by that won't change it one bit, get emotional all you want

"Mr True Believer" is used to connote what every believer calls his/herself while calling almost everyone else the opposite, eg, a redeemed member regards himself as "true believer" while calling Synagogue church members an untrue one etc due to this same "personal relationship with Christ" even though he and other redeemed members can't agree on what this Jesus wants and how he really is; the 'No True Scotsman fallacy"

and I never called myself "intellectual"

Damn, if this keeps getting any saltier we'll be swimming in seawater.

I'm not arguing your write-up, nor am I hurt by it. In fact, I find it rather accurate, my problem however is with the delivery. If Martin Luther King had began his "I have a dream" speech with "None of you here are smart enough to understand this, but I'll go on ahead and explain it because I'm a generous guy", do you think anyone would have listened?

I found the article accurate because it also annoys me to no small amount whenever people make the utterance.

However, your good points, excellent sweet points were ruined by needless sarcasm, condescending remarks and just a general self-righteous tone. Which, is counter-intuitive to (what I assume is meant to be) an educative article.

Hence why I deemed it, and you by proxy, as - "Salty."

8 Likes

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by Amberon11: 7:13pm On Jun 06, 2017
cheesy cheesy cheesy

You have no idea how irrational and pathetic you sound. So this long rant is simply against a God who is "inexistent"? Why do you lose sleep over the concept of God ?

Christians know their God and have a personal relationship with him. Its common to hear him, or feel him. I know this is impossible for you to grasp now or ever but it is not for everyone to understand.

And hey, why don't you channel your hatred/disgust for Christianity into more productive ventures? You are stalking us and our God, don't you think? grin grin grin
hopefulLandlord:

I'm more intrigued by the claim that one has a personal experience of something immaterial. If you can see it then it has the material property of form. If you can hear it then it has the material property of sound. If you can smell it then it has the material property of...er, smell I guess (maybe odor is a better word). If you can feel it then it has the material property of texture. And if you can taste it then it has the material property of flavor. How then, does one experience something that has no material properties?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by ScepticalPyrrho: 7:18pm On Jun 06, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

They claim to hear a "audible voice"...
Is it a masculine or feminine one? They won't tell, so as not to contradict each other.

How can you tell it's God's voice

Some claim they feel god's presence...

The level of self-deception and insincerity is close to madness.

12 Likes

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by DunceNLMods: 7:20pm On Jun 06, 2017
People are misled thinking the voices they hear and miracles they see place a human above them. The Christians worship Jesus and the Muslims worship Muhammad a fact they deny and are ignorant of.

2 Likes

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by DunceNLMods: 7:27pm On Jun 06, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

By imagining it.
Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by felixomor: 7:49pm On Jun 06, 2017
Lucario007:

So so salty.

Spot on brother.
You should be like the thousandth person who has nailed the diagnosis on this guy.
With absolute precision.

He opens several fake monikers just because of shallow write ups like this.
the name of Jesus gives him seizures.
Even when he is at sleep.

Its a pity.
A classic sign of the joblessness of young people today.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by ScepticalPyrrho: 7:53pm On Jun 06, 2017
felixomor:

Spot on brother.
You should be like the thousandth person who has nailed the diagnosis on this guy.
With absolute precision.

He opens several fake monikers just because of shallow write ups like this.
the name of Jesus gives him seizures.
Even when he is at sleep.

Its a pity.
A classic sign of the joblessness of young people today.
Lol.

See who's talking... smiley

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by felixomor: 7:54pm On Jun 06, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Lol.

See who's talking... smiley

The diagnosis hit u too?
I know grin
LoL

2 Likes

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by ScepticalPyrrho: 8:01pm On Jun 06, 2017
felixomor:

The diagnosis hit u too?
I know grin
LoL
I feel your pain bro.

Been there, done that...

6 Likes

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by felixomor: 8:10pm On Jun 06, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
I feel your pain bro.

Been there, done that...

U are the only person pained here my bro.
This is religious section.

Dont go and develop high blood pressure because of people's beliefs.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by hopefulLandlord: 8:30pm On Jun 06, 2017
Lucario007:

Damn, if this keeps getting any saltier we'll be swimming in seawater.

you're the only one salty here but I guess projection is a game for the insecure

I'm not arguing your write-up, nor am I hurt by it. In fact, I find it rather accurate, my problem however is with the delivery. If Martin Luther King had began his "I have a dream" speech with "None of you here are smart enough to understand this, but I'll go on ahead and explain it because I'm a generous guy", do you think anyone would have listened?
at no point in my writeup did I say anyone is not smart enough

did you see that in the spirit world

I found the article accurate because it also annoys me to no small amount whenever people make the utterance.
hmmmmm

However, your good points, excellent sweet points were ruined by needless sarcasm, condescending remarks and just a general self-righteous tone. Which, is counter-intuitive to (what I assume is meant to be) an educative article.
you see what you want to see

you first claimed I don't like Jesus, I challenged that and you quickly dropped it

you claimed I call people "blind" I also challenged that and you also dropped it

now you're implying I'm saying people aren't smart enough and I'm generous?

guy, don't you think you should just rest and stop imagining things like this?

Hence why I deemed it, and you by proxy, as - "Salty."

seems you've got nothing to say but attack the delivery because its not delivered in the way you "wanted"

that's your own cup of coffee bro

8 Likes

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by hopefulLandlord: 8:30pm On Jun 06, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
I feel your pain bro.
Been there, done that...
ignore him
Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by hopefulLandlord: 8:44pm On Jun 06, 2017
Amberon11:
cheesy cheesy cheesy

You have no idea how irrational and pathetic you sound. So this long rant is simply against a God who is "inexistent"? Why do you lose sleep over the concept of God ?

Christians know their God and have a personal relationship with him. Its common to hear him, or feel him. I know this is impossible for you to grasp now or ever but it is not for everyone to understand.
of course, that "personal relationship" with god is why you guys can't seem to agree on anything

you won't even recognise Jesus in a crowd of one person

And hey, why don't you channel your hatred/disgust for Christianity into more productive ventures? You are stalking us and our God, don't you think? grin grin grin

get a restraining order if you're being stalked

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jun 06, 2017
I expect most of them (Christians) that are "Deeply in Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" to at least be do what Christ commanded but the reverse seems to be the case.

It's a matter of choice. You can be in a deep personal relationship with Allah but what matters to me is "are you a good person" ?

#nolabels

2 Likes

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by hopefulLandlord: 9:00pm On Jun 06, 2017
onyenze123:
I expect most of them (Christians) that are "Deeply in Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" to at least be do what Christ commanded but the reverse seems to be the case.

It's a matter of choice. You can be in a deep personal relationship with Allah but what matters to me is "are you a good person" ?

#nolabels

well they need to agree on "what Christ commanded" then they need to agree on the interpretation of "what Christ commanded" cheesy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by dalaman: 9:37pm On Jun 06, 2017
They claim to be in a personal relationship with Jesus but can not even tell us any personal thing about him.

1 Like

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by hopefulLandlord: 9:47pm On Jun 06, 2017
Onyenze123, check out this thread www.nairaland.com/3615455/does-new-covenant-abolish-ten/10 and see how our "Christians" who have deep personal relationship with the same dead Jew can't even agree if the the old covenant has been abolished or not, not only did they disagree, they insulted themselves very badly with the aid of the Holy spirit of course

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by OtemAtum: 9:50pm On Jun 06, 2017
Doctufos: Hypatia 2: 10-14

10. When Agda came to seek me, I said to him, if all religious people can do away with their egos to seek wisdom, the development of the world shall be faster. And Agda said, I am a priest, but I seek after wisdom because I know that there is more to the earth than what is in the scrolls of the popes.
11. And I said to Agda, it is not a lie you have spoken. Eusebius and Constantine and their precursors who write the scrolls did so in the foolishness of their minds. They thought that wisdom and knowledge should be static and they made an end to knowledge with their scrolls filled up with lies.
12. They make a box for all heads to think within it. They force all to think within the capacity of that box. They kill and threaten with death.
13. They made a flesh for the one who does not exist and they want people to believe in that non-existing thing as their saviour. See how this shall lead to a very great confusion in the world.
14. It is like developing a tool from a very wrong formula. For whatever you make out of such tool shall be wrong. An hydrometer is not called an hydrometer if it is made upon a false formula. So is the concept of Jesus which is a compilation of stories of the gods here and there.

Fictitious Jesus undecidedReal Faulkin
Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by dalaman: 10:26pm On Jun 06, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Onyenze123, check out this thread www.nairaland.com/3615455/does-new-covenant-abolish-ten/10 and see how our "Christians" who have deep personal relationship with the same dead Jew can't even agree if the the old covenant has been abolished or not, not only did they disagree, they insulted themselves very badly with the aid of the Holy spirit of course

On the Christ Embassy thread our christians who claim to be in personal relationship with Jesus not only insulted each other but threatened each other with hell and other imaginary stuffs. grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by hopefulLandlord: 12:32am On Jun 07, 2017
MZLady39 what sayeth thou?
Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by Nobody: 12:38am On Jun 07, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
MZLady39 what sayeth thou?

Lol....oh you know I saw your post brother.
I read it....had to "breathe in, breathe out"....read other posts....and go to other rooms.

Oh my brother....why o why are you spoiling your intelligence? You have so much hope.....(no pun intended)...when you aren't spewing out this stuff cry

Give me a few minutes & I will answer.....but I hope we won't be debating....cause you know how I feel about that...
Re: The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" by Nobody: 12:55am On Jun 07, 2017
HopefulLandlord
Okay,
That's awesome that you know all those things about your sister....
No I don't know specifics about God (down to eye color etc.)...because we're told not to make any graven images....probably so we won't obsess over what He looks like.

My relationship with God is based on faith in Him through His Word. I learn about who God is...first by reading about Him....then through daily prayer...then through trying Him through the promises in His Word.
The more I spend sincere time with Him...the more I start to develop an intimate relationship with Him. I become drawn to His character....and desire to do things that won't disrupt the bond that is being built.
That makes my relationship "meaning-ful"..
Now all of that has to be done in faith (the key word).
Without faith....this is all done in vain.
I must first believe that "......He is and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him" (Hebrews 11:6).

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Receives Lost N250K Which Was Found By Hotel Worker In Saudi. PIC / Here is why you Sleep in Church / Pope To Priests - Buy Humble Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.