Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,517 members, 7,808,886 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:37 PM

The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria (19969 Views)

Is 50k Job suitable Enough For A Fresh Graduate in Lagos ? / The Life Of An Unemployed Graduate / 7 “downsides” Of Being A First Class Graduate In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by generalbush(m): 10:37am On Jun 09, 2017
Hi, I am just a graduate in Nigeria. I will come back to what my name is; but right now, I type with so much anger. I guess you must have read;

http://topwritersden.com/open-letter-of-a-working-graduate-to-his-jobless-past/

I thought to be a graduate was great and the best thing that could happen to anyone, but was I right? I look back and wonder what the average life of a graduate in Nigeria is all about.

I guess we all heard “Go to school, graduate, get a good job and live the life of your dreams.” My mom always reminded me of that every morning just before I headed to the school bus that took me to my primary school back then.

I always thought that going to school was the best thing that happened to me as a kid, but I guess it wasn’t all about going to school. All my days in school, I always read hard just because I wanted to create a bright future for myself. I topped the class in brilliantly and felt that all those who performed poorly were all gonna be failures in life.

I passed my entire primary school exam and found myself entering the secondary school in style. I faced a battle of never failing in secondary school, or else I would fail out of the most prestigious school in the city. I struggled and passed all my papers, after which my only hurdle was the WAEC exam and the JAMB exam. I told myself that the good life that mom promised me if I could pass my WAEC and enter the university was getting closer, and all I needed was the focus. I motivated myself and I cleared the exam.

I kept awake all night preparing for my jamb exam, and I never allowed the midnight candle die down. I finally made it to the university; let us say a private university. I couldn’t make it to the federal or state universities, so I had to settle for something bigger.

“If you don’t graduate you will become a failure in life” was the anthem always played by our lecturers in school. I never allowed my GPA to go less than a Second Class Upper. Not because I wanted to be the best, but I just wanted to get that dream job the moment I set my feet outside the school campus.

I finally graduated, went for the National Youth Service, under the rain, and in the sun, with dedication and selflessness, I served Nigeria.

Just when I was done with my national youth service, I had neglected every call to add a skill to my life. I picked up my expensive suit, shoe, tie and a Gucci bag to compliment my dressing. Just as I was about to set out, I was reminded by someone that there are over 2 million graduates searching for the same job I wanted to set out to search for.

With my mouth agape and my eyes widely open, all I could ask was “Are they also graduates like me?”

Sorry I forgot to introduce myself; “I am just a second class upper Engineering average graduate in Nigeria”

I am so sorry that my title is long; it is only replacing the long salary I anticipated as an Engineering Graduate in Nigeria. I will be right back to right more, but I need to search the internet for new job vacancies.

Keep in Touch for my Next Article titled “The Scam Called; Education in Nigeria”

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by ireneidiva(f): 10:49am On Jun 09, 2017
Rubbish

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by dhantey324(m): 11:13am On Jun 09, 2017
ireneidiva:
Rubbish

Seconded!!!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by sukkot: 12:43pm On Jun 09, 2017
hmmm
Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by aku626(m): 12:43pm On Jun 09, 2017
Worthless

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by Evathyst(f): 12:44pm On Jun 09, 2017
I'm completely speechless! Maybe the person below me has something reasonable to say sha.

Meanwhile, can anyone tell me who farted in the picture below? Correct answer will attract a 'blow*job' from me. tongue

19 Likes

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 12:44pm On Jun 09, 2017
Eyah

The problem is that Nigerians especially the youth can't/don't think, Everybody is busy going to school because they want to graduate and FIND A JOB and that's mental slavery on its own..we have more bankers than banks,more teachers than school and so on

Find something you're passionate about then get educated about that thing....that's all you need to survive,we need to start producing leaders( creative thinkers) and not followers( job seekers carrying cv from one office to another)

Shikena!

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by Iloveafrica: 12:44pm On Jun 09, 2017
THIS HARDSHIP NO BE JOKE O!
See a recent application letter from a friend..
No.3 ekpetu street
P.o.Box 172,
Ijola,Lagos,
Nigeria.
9th may,2017.
Dear Sir,
APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT
I refer to the recent death of the accountant at your office and hereby apply for the job as a replacement of the dead accountant.
Each time I apply for employment, I get a reply that there is no vacancy but in this case, I have caught you red handed and you have no excuse because while I was in my hometown for holidays I heard the good news about his death so i quickly rushed back to attend the funeral to be sure that he was truly dead before applying.
Attached to my letter is a copy of my CV and his obituary sticker,his obituary T shirt,his death certificate,his obituary poster and the picture of his coffin as proof of vacancy.
You can't lie to me this time. GIVE ME THE JOB.
Thank you,
Yours faithfully,
Chukwuebuka Ayo Umar

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:44pm On Jun 09, 2017
Dear OP it's really obvious that you are brilliantly brilliant but my Dear nobody cares.
You are relieving an experience in "once upon a time"!

Wake up! Nigeria has gone green (agriculture)! Key into that or be creative in your area of specialization undecided

Stop carrying Gucci bag upandan! Sell it! Go into real estate or something!

[ undecidedquote author=generalbush post=57344288]Hi, I am just a graduate in Nigeria. I will come back to what my name is;
I topped the class in brilliantly brilliancy and felt that all those who performed poorly were all gonna be failures in life.

I will be right back to right write more, but I need to search the internet for new job vacancies.
Keep in Touch for my Next Article titled “The Scam Called; Education in Nigeria” [/quote]

Don't bother righting (writing) because someone like me will not read that jargon obvious to everyone with the exception of you just coming into reality!

It's people like you who easily give up or commit suicide!
Get real man!
Don't take this the hard way. Just a friendly advise!

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by cloud9usher: 12:44pm On Jun 09, 2017
Undoubtedly, education is VERY key in life, the only issue why it seems like education doesn't necessarily guarantee being comfortable in Nigeria is the fact that our leaders have messed up this country, the government jobs are taken my cronies of those at the top, the few private organisation jobs are left for the large number of graduates to fight you, imagine 5 million graduates struggling for 1,000 jobs within a time period.

That said, never give up, keep on being on top of your game and give your best, that comfortable job ALWAYS comes along the line, it always does, as long as you are persistent and hardworking. Also, while hustling for that dream job, make sure you keep your hands busy with a smaller job, even if you feel its beyond your class/qualification. The good thing about that is that it gives you work experience and saves you from boredom, the worst thing for an unemployed graduate is allowing depression hit you as a result of boredom and idleness.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by wakes: 12:45pm On Jun 09, 2017
OK

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jun 09, 2017
Wtf!!! Is happening on the religion section of nairaland angry angry angry
Sh!t the shit av just been posted on my profile.. angry
Forget nairaland and seun is cursed ban and die angry
Too foolish even muslim has their own personal section but Christians don't undecided
Ah swear this is absolute fuckery
I'm a Muslim but this shit ain't worth it....

3 Likes

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by mayoor15(m): 12:46pm On Jun 09, 2017
Hmmmmmm
Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by dlondonbadboy: 12:46pm On Jun 09, 2017
Nigeria can be better. We are rich enough to be better...But the cowardice of you youths is just too much. Too foolish and too docile.

Why can't you fools organise a massive protest and demand for a good life..No, cowards.

One nairaland created a unique topic "9ja has killed me or something like that"...a perfect opportunity for youths to join hands and take over their country...what did you fools do, you started begging like beggars.

Tuface attempted the same thing, but what happened, the spirit of cowardice raised its ugly head again.

Unemployment is skyrocketing, there is hunger everywhere..frustrations everywhere...95% of Ngraduates are either unemployed or underemployed...and you active youths are there behaving like goats and gambling away your futures. Pigs!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by Evathyst(f): 12:46pm On Jun 09, 2017
dhantey324:

Seconded!!!
Thirded!

1 Like

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by raphieMontella: 12:46pm On Jun 09, 2017
Weird.
What engineering degree is that?

1 Like

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by alaricsaltzman: 12:47pm On Jun 09, 2017
Learn a skill, develop yourself and employers will be looking for you!!

2 Likes

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by raphealolami(m): 12:47pm On Jun 09, 2017
Is that all??

Let me still wait to understand the meaning of this epistle.

This OP is mean, how can, I mean how on earth can you decide to waste someone's precious time with this.

Frontpage has really sufffered.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by Realwvn(m): 12:47pm On Jun 09, 2017
You will make your Momma proud soon.
Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by babajeje123(m): 12:48pm On Jun 09, 2017
Who moved this to the front page?
Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jun 09, 2017
grin grin grin grin

Is that Rita Dominic?
Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jun 09, 2017
ireneidiva:
Rubbish

You see the problem on Nairaland.

Someone writes an article expressing his opinion, does not insult anyone...and you call it rubbish?

Please, don't be uncivil in your language. It does not reflect well on you at all.

15 Likes

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by SmartyPants(m): 12:48pm On Jun 09, 2017
ireneidiva:
Rubbish

Seriously... wondering what this young man is trying to prove.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by Remix10(m): 12:49pm On Jun 09, 2017
why are engineering guys usually jobless? or most of them in banks?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by madjune(m): 12:49pm On Jun 09, 2017
This is not new.

There are no set, available jobs for teeming graduates in Nigeria.
Three things, to land yourself a job or start earning on your own; you should have picked up a unique skill.

2. Who do you know?

3. You must pray to be at the right place at the right time

4 Likes

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by Franchise21(m): 12:49pm On Jun 09, 2017
wink
Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 09, 2017
OP:

The main issue is the neglect of technical education in Nigeria.....and the way and manner people look down on them in this country.

Everyone wants to be a university grad. As a result...we have too many university grads for too few white collar jobs. And you have to skill up to even have a chance of getting a job.

Meanwhile...we don't have enough technical people.
Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by otokx(m): 1:00pm On Jun 09, 2017
There is "more" to being a graduate than just possessing a certificate. When we try talking to final year undergraduates on that "more" it is like we are speaking Greek. Was trying to encourage a "graduate" who was waiting for NYSC to go take up a job as a fuel attendant in a petrol station or a waiter in a fast food and she took offense. Asked her how she was building up her network profile and the stare response said it all.

2 Likes

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by ireneidiva(f): 1:00pm On Jun 09, 2017
9jakohai:

You see the problem on Nairaland.

Someone writes an article expressing his opinion, does not insult anyone...and you call it rubbish?

Please, don't be uncivil in your language. It does not reflect well on you at all.
Rubbish. Pity party.

1 Like

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by gurunlocker: 1:01pm On Jun 09, 2017
Posts I see on here these days makes me have doubt of furthering my education....

3 Likes

Re: The Life Of An Average Graduate In Nigeria by Revolva(m): 1:01pm On Jun 09, 2017
grin grin grin nice topic bro cant wait for the next topic...

education without vocational skills n self reliance after graduating is nonsense...you go suffer ehnnnn.......

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

774,000 Jobs: PDP Lawmakers Reject 30 Slots Offer / N-power Agro Assessment Test Ends August 1, Teach Starts August 2 / Solution To FRSC Registration 2021 (Access Denied Issues)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.