Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,809 members, 7,802,587 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys (13986 Views)

Dayold Chicks( Cockreal,broilers,noilers,ducks,pullet And Turkey.... / Big Python Killed In Our Farm Swallowed 2 Turkeys (Pictured) / 100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 11:55am On Jun 09, 2017
my backyard poultry consists of 50 - 18 days old broilers and 5 foreign turkey supplied by poultry plaza.
I also have 15 - 25 days old noilers which I got from a local hatchery here in Abuja.
They were all brooded together.From day 1 till today I am left with 43 broilers and 4 foreign turkey.i really don't know the cause of their death.
I moved all birds into their newly constructed house yesterday.i will be using this medium to tell yeupre about the birds as they grow.updates will be supported with pics

Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 12:35pm On Jun 09, 2017
In the pictures you see birds in brooding,their new house under construction and birds in their new house.all medication and vaccination observed date.so far they have taken 1 bag of feed,bought a new bag on Tues(06/06).I'm counting the number of days it will take them to consume it.
Birds are being given organic medications -like ginger garlic honey tumeric morninga leaves bitter leaf in their feed and water accordingly.
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 12:45pm On Jun 09, 2017
Forgot to let you know that the foreign turkey are still in the brooding house as they need to be kept warm for 4 weeks according to research.there are 2 broilers with them to help the turkeys to feed well.
Pls I stand to be guided and corrected in this game as I'm not a professional.im just having fun with what I have flair for and trying to make extra cash.
I'm depending on nairalanders to put me through.
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by Ncsamuel(m): 2:17pm On Jun 09, 2017
Good job bro, i have an issue, i want to go into poultry. I have no experience/idea. I want to know which is more profitable starting on a small scale: layers or boilers?
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by temiyato(m): 8:43pm On Jun 09, 2017
tasho105:
In the pictures you see birds in brooding,their new house under construction and birds in their new house.all medication and vaccination observed date.so far they have taken 1 bag of feed,bought a new bag on Tues(06/06).I'm counting the number of days it will take them to consume it.
Birds are being given organic medications -like ginger garlic honey tumeric morninga leaves bitter leaf in their feed and water accordingly.
Pls ,can you explain further how to use organic medication ? I have some birds at home ( 7 cockerels ).
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 9:11pm On Jun 09, 2017
It all depends on you.i prefer broilers for now because I don't have enough space and broiler breeding doesn't take too long unlike layers that lay for 2 years.
Guess layers is more profitable because of the eggs that they lay and the bird that you will sell thereafter.
I would advise broilers for starting on a small scale.
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 9:22pm On Jun 09, 2017
Sorry bro I just started with the organic medication so I'm not doing full organic yet.you can follow Turks on nairaland,he does organic poultry.he's my organic mentor too.
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 3:04pm On Jun 10, 2017
Weighed the birds this morning.
Broilers at 19 days old- weights vary with lots of difference 200-320g,With like 70% of 280-320g sizes.
Noilers at 26 days old - 200-320g.
Turkeys at 19 days - 160-240g.
I'm so bothered about the turkeys size and I had to call supplier(poultry plaza) to complain but I'm not satisfied with their response that may be it's the feed.ive been feeding them rico gado super starter.
Anybody with an idea of the best feed and medication to make them grow faster and bigger?Your suggestions will be much appreciated.

1 Like

Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by hadex90(m): 4:30pm On Jun 10, 2017
Ncsamuel:
Good job bro, i have an issue, i want to go into poultry. I have no experience/idea. I want to know which is more profitable starting on a small scale: layers or boilers?
Broiler Is More Profitable To Start On Small Scale, And If U Dnt Have Experience Then Start With Broiler
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by hadex90(m): 4:34pm On Jun 10, 2017
tasho105:
It all depends on you.i prefer broilers for now because I don't have enough space and broiler breeding doesn't take too long unlike layers that lay for 2 years.
Guess layers is more profitable because of the eggs that they lay and the bird that you will sell thereafter.
I would advise broilers for starting on a small scale.
i dnt think layers is more profitable than broiler, u have to feed layers for abt 20-24weeks before they start laying. d only problem i have with broiler is their market is not readily available
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 8:32pm On Jun 10, 2017
Yea... y0u are right,br0i1ers market is seas0na1 and n0t readi1y ava1ab1e.1ayers 0n the 0ther hand takes time t0 breed.a11 dapends 0n the farmer t0 decide 0n the pr0ft
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 11:06am On Jun 11, 2017
I gave birds Gumb0r0 vaccine t0day and I als0 fed them fermented feed f0r the first time.i guess they liked the feed as they hurriedly ate it,
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 11:56am On Jun 11, 2017
Guess I forg0t t0 tell y0u ab0ut the local turkeys in my backyard.They have been there f0r over 2 years, except 2 adult hen which i b0ught 3 m0nths ag0.b0ught all 0f them fr0m a l0cal supplier .they are seven - 1 t0m,3 hen and 3 y0ung 0nes.12 m0nths ag0, a turkey hen laid 14 eggs and hatched 12 birds-5died and 4 were consumed by my family when they were 0f table age, leaving me with 3 young 0nes and 4 adults that i have in my backyard n0w.see pic...
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 12:04pm On Jun 11, 2017
Pics

Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by MrKong: 12:09pm On Jun 11, 2017
Good morning peeps, pls I need unilorin entrance exams past questions for masters student(Agric Economics)...would really appreciate if anyone can help me out.

Send to: donmorris666@gmail.com

Thank you and God bless you!
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 12:00pm On Jun 12, 2017
Morning guys,
Update on my backyard birds - added crushed aloe vera to the chicks drinking water this morning.
During my research I discovered this-

" Aloe vera is a herb characterized by it's properties as anti-bacteria-viral, anti-fungal, anti-tumor, anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory, wound-healing, anti-oxidant, and anti-diabetic effects. During the past years, attention has shifted toward Aloe vera as a natural additive to broiler diets, and studies have shown that Aloe vera can improve immune response and growth performance in broilers. In addition, Aloe vera is an excellent alternative for antibiotic growth promoters and anticoccidial drugs"
I also mixed some dried moringa leaves with the poults feed to boost the crude protein level of the feed from it's 21.5%.Turkeys require higher cp of like 28% between 0 - 4wks.
I plan to give birds organic medication for 1 or 2 wks before i check their weight.wish me luck guys.advice and suggestions are highly welcome

1 Like

Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by kunlesufyan(m): 12:57pm On Jun 12, 2017
tasho105:
Guess I forg0t t0 tell y0u ab0ut the local turkeys in my backyard.They have been there f0r over 2 years, except 2 adult hen which i b0ught 3 m0nths ag0.b0ught all 0f them fr0m a l0cal supplier .they are seven - 1 t0m,3 hen and 3 y0ung 0nes.12 m0nths ag0, a turkey hen laid 14 eggs and hatched 12 birds-5died and 4 were consumed by my family when they were 0f table age, leaving me with 3 young 0nes and 4 adults that i have in my backyard n0w.see pic...
Hello, been following your thread. I had some turkey a while back and the females laid eggs. They would incubate the eggs but still it won't hatch. When I complained to someone, they told me its the type of feed I gave them, and the eggs are not fertilized.
I got some turkey last month and they are doing just fine. Three males and Two females.
Do do you identify males from that tender age?
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by hadex90(m): 1:06pm On Jun 12, 2017
kunlesufyan:

Hello, been following your thread. I had some turkey a while back and the females laid eggs. They would incubate the eggs but still it won't hatch. When I complained to someone, they told me its the type of feed I gave them, and the eggs are not fertilized.
I got some turkey last month and they are doing just fine. Three males and Two females.
Do do you identify males from that tender age?
Try Feed Them Layer Mash Wen They Are About To Start Laying. Turkey Business Is Very Lucrative If U Have Much U Can Take The Egg To Hatchery So They Can Hatch For U And Then U Sell The Day Old

1 Like

Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 2:55pm On Jun 12, 2017
Oh I've had a local turkey hen like that before she laid,incubated but didn't hatch.i quickly sent her to the pot...
And I have another hen that laid,incubated, hatched and did the brooding herself;mortality was high though.
Giving them layers mash when they are about to lay is good idea-it increases the number of eggs but not too necessary if you have an active tom to mate with hens.mating is the only natural means of getting fertilzed eggs.
You should be able to differentiate male from female by their sizes as from 3 or 4wks.
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by chickensetal: 3:29pm On Jun 12, 2017
Local or foreign turkey,if you are after productivity give them layers mash when they are at POL. You know male and female by their sizes.Tom is always bigger than hen.
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by jjbest123(m): 9:37pm On Jun 12, 2017
Is not good to brood broilers or any other poultry birds together with turkeys,because of the black head disease.
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 5:07am On Jun 13, 2017
Oh ok.thanks...but how do you teach the turkeys to feed as I learnt they can't feed on their own,they need other birds to teach them during brooding.
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 5:09am On Jun 13, 2017
Oh ok thanks...but how do you teach the turkeys to feed as I learnt they can't feed on their own,they need other birds to teach them during brooding.
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by jjbest123(m): 6:05am On Jun 13, 2017
tasho105:
Oh ok thanks...but how do you teach the turkeys to feed as I learnt they can't feed on their own,they need other birds to teach them during brooding.
From my little experience, provide bright light for the turkey, add balls of aluminum foil in their water and feed, in the process of pecking the foil, the eat and drink water too.
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 10:28am On Jun 13, 2017
Gbam!brilliant idea.i knew of the shining marbles in feeds and water but never thought of using foil balls.you must have been in the game for quite some time.thx bro

2 Likes

Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by jjbest123(m): 4:35pm On Jun 13, 2017
tasho105:
Gbam!brilliant idea.i knew of the shining marbles in feeds and water but never thought of using foil balls.you must have been in the game for quite some time.thx bro
Welcome Bro, That's What I Do.
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 6:20pm On Jun 13, 2017
Following you already bro.
Pls my foreign turkeys at 3 wks are not growing well.i feed them Rico gado superstarter with 21.5% crude protein and I realised they need up to 28% cp.pls what do I do to boost the feed
cp?
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 12:47pm On Jun 14, 2017
Update on birds -
Bought a bag of vital starter today,I couldn't get Rico gado.Has anybody used vital starter befpre.?I need testimonies pls.
62 birds finished 1 bag of feed in 9 days - this ok?
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by jjbest123(m): 1:07pm On Jun 14, 2017
tasho105:
Following you already bro.
Pls my foreign turkeys at 3 wks are not growing well.i feed them Rico gado superstarter with 21.5% crude protein and I realised they need up to 28% cp.pls what do I do to boost the feed
cp?
There Is No Turkey Feed In The Market, Feed Formulation Is The Way Out, But Your Capacity Is Not Big, I Will Advise You Continue With The Chicken Feed, Till The Need 19% Cp. Turks! We Need Here
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 9:01pm On Jun 14, 2017
Thx bro...guess I need a feed with higher cp for them for now.pls who knows of any - top,rico......?
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by tasho105(m): 1:33pm On Jun 15, 2017
Hello guys,pls how/what can I use to thoroughly disinfect a pen that has been seriously infected with cossidiosis and other diseases as I'm awaiting the delivery of another batch of broilers and turkeys.i sprayed izal and bleach(hypo) this morning.
Re: my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys by alakara(m): 2:25pm On Jun 15, 2017
firstly, you need to wash and srub ,later you disinfect using a good and strong disinfectant.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fruits And Vegetable Agribusiness Trainning / Joint Youth Mechanized Farming In Oyo State / 50 Metres Diameters Rain Guns For Sale ( Cash & Carry )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.