Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,363 members, 7,800,731 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

Integrity OR What Exactly?? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Integrity OR What Exactly?? (521 Views)

Indomie Generation: Who Exactly Are They? / Married Men, Please What Exactly Are You Enjoying In Your Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Integrity OR What Exactly?? by Azariyah(f): 4:13pm On Jun 10, 2017
In recent times when the word integrity is mentioned, it seems to me that a lot of people see it as something that isn’t applicable to this age. An author once defined Integrity as ‘something you do when no one else is looking.’ However, I once attended a seminar in which the speaker faulted this definition, and he went ahead to modify it as ‘something you do, when no one else is watching, especially if it costs you something’. For example, if you happen to pass by a lonely road, and see 1USD on the roadside, not taking it might not signify integrity, because perhaps that 1USD might not worth so much to you. But replace the 1USD with 10,000 USD, will you still overlook it and not take it? Now that cost you something, and this is where your integrity might be tested, according to the speaker

A recent incident has made me question my integrity. Can I do what I say? Practice what I preach? Be truthful even when the occasion says otherwise?

Straight to my story!

My husband’s (Mr P) car had a mechanical fault recently and he took it for repairs. He took it firstly to a nearby mechanic workshop, and after a thorough check it was suggested that he replaces his radiator with a new one. Upon hearing the cost, he decided to consult a friend who had the same problem and just got his car fixed. His friend directed him somewhere else and it was about the same price as the previous workshop. Lest I forget to mention I accompanied him to the 2nd mechanic work shop.

One thing struck me while he was talking and bargaining with the repairer; the guy said “Sir, the price of the radiator is 70USD and you know my charges is 10USD, but you see I am going to go buy the radiator straight from the manufacturing company, and because I am a mechanic I will be given a discount”. He said the exact amount and the balance that will be left after discount. He further went ahead to say that he will then use the balance to cover up for his own charges. So, he won’t be collecting any extra charges …… Hmmmm!! You said that too right?

It sent shivers down my spine……How can a mechanic be this truthful? Men like this are rare really. The average mechanic will rather tell you that the money won’t be enough, and even make you feel that they are doing you a big favour, whereas they would have made more than enough for themselves. Anyways I didn’t think twice I was going to affirm to my husband that the guy should go ahead with the repairs.
We all know this, its business, yes you need to make profit; things are expensive! really expensive, recession is hitting hard etc. Albeit, amidst all this, you can still make your profit by been truthful and not necessarily going overboard to rip your customers pocket.

That mechanic certainly has a customer in me, not that I pray that I have car issues anymore, but I will give him referrals whenever.
Integrity will not kill your business or you, rather it will save, sustain, and grow your business

Integrity is not old fashioned, it is very fashionable

Embrace Integrity
Re: Integrity OR What Exactly?? by Caustics: 4:17pm On Jun 10, 2017
this piece put tears in ma eyes. I just gave a begger my atm card and pin to withdraw all he likes. Sobs cry cry
its good to be integrated

1 Like

Re: Integrity OR What Exactly?? by Azariyah(f): 5:32pm On Jun 10, 2017
Caustics:
this piece put tears in ma eyes. I just gave a begger my atm card and pin to withdraw all he likes. Sobs cry cry

Are you for real?? or you have a hidden message?
Re: Integrity OR What Exactly?? by okirewaju(f): 7:38pm On Jun 10, 2017
Caustics:
shocked

cheesy grin

(1) (Reply)

Dear Men, Women Are Not To Blame / Advice Needed / How Six Cousins Died After Cucumber Meal In C’river

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.