Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,231 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:19 AM

I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. (2276 Views)

I Recently Got Married,i Love My Husband,but My Ex Is Better On Bed,am Confused / Can I Get Married? I Need Advice / He Said “no Sex Bfor Marriage.” We Got Married & I Discovered What He Was Hiding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by dajoaneke(m): 3:14pm On Jun 11, 2017
Good day NL family. I greet you and hope you are doing great? If so, doxology cheesy cheesy cheesy
I would like your advice on on marital issues as I have never been married before, the step towards such endeavor is new to me.

1 > I met my girlfriend 6 months ago and she's not that kind of girl a reasonable man would toy with. I love her (we're in love). I want to surprise her with a marriage proposal, but I want to know if I should introduce myself to her family first, get to know the family first hand and get the father's blessing?

2 > She's met with my family, best friend with my mom & my family love her so much. All is good to go but my salary. I cannot afford a Nigerian wedding (things are starting to pick up for me but still...) Question is, If she says yes to my proposal, how long is a proposal duration before the ring will become a handcuff?

3 > Lastly, If she says "yes" to me & her family say's no; does the ring stay with her or it should be returned (It's the reason for my question No.1)

Marriage is a delicate process I believe. I don't want to ask my siblings these questions, hence they might amebo* it to her
I would appreciate matured response from married and single alike. If you are single & want to display crass humor please try the next post wink
Thanks

Mod: farano, Rocktation
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by akaahs(m): 3:17pm On Jun 11, 2017
I am here to read from d gurus ND d expert

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jun 11, 2017
I guess you do attend church, If yes, please meet the church wedding committee and some elders for counselling and advise.

Marriage planning nor be wetin dem dey discuss for NL.

Always remember "Na wetin man sow, naim e dey wear"

I wish you well..

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jun 11, 2017
Don't know... Let's wait for d pros

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by dajoaneke(m): 3:20pm On Jun 11, 2017
akaahs:
I am here to read from d gurus ND d expert
From the Mummys and Daddys shey? Their advice go make sense wella.
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jun 11, 2017
Let me pitch my tent here
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 11, 2017
You just met her 6 months is too early for marriage. At least a year is okay.

You need to know the woman you are about to get married to very well if not you will be running to me. tongue
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jun 11, 2017
Following bumper to bumper
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by hola106(m): 3:34pm On Jun 11, 2017
marriage council committee over to u
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by AngelicDamsel(f): 3:34pm On Jun 11, 2017
dajoaneke:
Good day NL family. I greet you and hope you are doing great? If so, doxology cheesy cheesy cheesy
I would like your advice on on marital issues as I have never been married before,the step towards such endeavor is new to me.

1 > I met my girlfriend 6 months ago and she's not that kind of girl a reasonable man would toy with. I love her (we're in love). I want to surprise her with a marriage proposal, but I want to know if I should introduce myself to her family first, get to know the family first hand and get the father's blessing?

2 > She's met with my family, best friend with my mom & my family love her so much. All is good to go but my salary. I cannot afford a Nigerian wedding (things are starting to pick up for me but still...) Question is, If she says yes to my proposal, how long is a proposal duration before the ring will become a handcuff? [b]My response : As long as you can be financially ready for wedding and family upkeep, since u say things are picking up[/b]

3 > Lastly, If she says "yes" to me & her family say's no; does the ring stay with her or it should be returned (It's the reason for my question No.1)
My response: .. Nowadays, parents will agree to an average guy normally... But I'm sure they will accept u ... If they don't , then move on ......

Marriage is a delicate process I believe. I don't want to ask my siblings these questions, hence they might amebo* it to her
I would appreciate matured response from married and single alike. If you are single & want to display crass humor please try the next post wink
Thanks

And don't forget Pray about it..

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by dajoaneke(m): 3:35pm On Jun 11, 2017
Is that a confirmed duration suitable to tie the knot? Anyways, I've known her in my area for 2years now. I walked up to her in January after I was sure she's of good behavior.
folakemigeh:
You just met her 6 months is too early for marriage. At least a year is okay.

You need to know the woman you are about to get married to very well if not you will be running to me. tongue
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jun 11, 2017
My opinion.

You propose marriage to her first. If she says "Yes" you demand to see her parents to make your intentions known. She'll inform her parents and they'll give her the go ahead to invite you over. Depending on how soon you'd want it to take place, you'll be asked to come over on a second visit with your people for introduction and the taking of list.

If she says "Yes" and her family says "No". You can either ask her to keep the ring or return it, while she could either decide to keep it or return it...don't be stingy, ask her to keep it, and let her say "No".
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by dajoaneke(m): 3:41pm On Jun 11, 2017
Benita27:
My opinion.

You propose marriage to her first. If she says "Yes" you demand to see her parents to make your intentions known. She'll inform her parents and they'll give her the go ahead to invite you over. Depending on how soon you'd want it to take place, you'll be asked to come over on a second visit with your people for introduction and the taking of list.

If she says "Yes" and her family says "No". You can either ask her to keep the ring or return it, while she could either decide to keep it or return it...don't be stingy, ask her to keep it, and let her say "No".
Thank you so much. Clear & concise advice. God bless you ma.
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jun 11, 2017
First , congrats for having someone you love .

Secondly before you propose to a woman ... Always wait for the honeymoon phase to pass first .

By honey moon phase I mean that new love burst of adrenaline rush which is nullified by a harsh dose of reality .

I made the same mistake myself ...

If you propose to this lady today let me tell you what will happen next ...

Your countdown to introduction will begin ... Thereafter pressure to do introduction and then traditional and white wedding .

I don't know her or you but trust me ...most ladies want a relatively big wedding .

As you guys start to plan your wedding et all ...you will start to notice that -

1. Your financial principles are at variance .

However my dude ...if I hear that you take a loan to get married I will be angry and disappointed with you .

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Evablizin(f): 3:54pm On Jun 11, 2017
Op if don't have the money to marry her now don't propose to her,it will not be good for her to wear engagement ring for too long,rather use this period to know more about her and she will also no know more about,don't rush into marriage or else you will rush out of it someday,you may not get the best advice her but think about the little you will get here thanks

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by iweecureyou: 3:56pm On Jun 11, 2017
dajoaneke:
I would like your advice on on marital issues as I have never been married before, the step towards such endeavor is new to me.

2 > She's met with my family, best friend with my mom & my family love her so much. All is good to go but my salary. I cannot afford a Nigerian wedding (things are starting to pick up for me but still...) Question is, If she says yes to my proposal, how long is a proposal duration before the ring will become a handcuff?

Thanks
Sinple

Turn Gay i wee maried u and payed for grooms priseangry

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by MissRaine69(f): 4:03pm On Jun 11, 2017
Be honest from the get go.
You have to meet her family that's imperative. Talk to her and agree on a budget agree on the duration on how long you want to wait before you get married once you propose. You may choose to tell her famliy of the proposed date but be aware once you propose there are expectations so be realistic.
Love can make us blind so before your ability to reason goes meet her family get to know then then propose if that's what you want to do.
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by oloriooko(m): 4:04pm On Jun 11, 2017
dajoaneke:

Thanks

Marriage is serious biz, so serious that the faint hearted will fall by the road side.
1. Note that the main persons in this is you and the lady after which comes the family. What the 2 of you want is important and six months is good enough for courtship
2. Good she's known and accepted by your family but you've got to propose to her first b4 making move to see her family cuz after wedding it's going to be only 2 of you under same roof.
3. Weddings are always over hyped in Nigeria as if it's a competition. Plan your wedding with your sweetheart and make it within a reasonable budget and don't forget help will also come to you. The most important thing is to wisely save money for you two so after wedding you have enough to start life with.
4. Being in love is very good but marriage needs far more than that. Let your love produce patience, trust and more love towards your spouse. Dating someone is totally different from living under same roof. You will start noticing certain features which may irritate you or even drive you to start seeing your spouse in another light but you must exercise a lot of patience and never raise your hand to beat your wife, NEVER!

Finally, marriage requires a lot of work and tons of patience and understanding. Marriage will not build itself but the two of you will do.
Wish you the best and think hard b4 going into it wink

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by dajoaneke(m): 4:05pm On Jun 11, 2017
tobianthony:
First , congrats for having someone you love .

Secondly before you propose to a woman ... Always wait for the honeymoon phase to pass first .

By honey moon phase I mean that new love burst of adrenaline rush which is nullified by a harsh dose of reality .

I made the same mistake myself ...

If you propose to this lady today let me tell you what will happen next ...

Your countdown to introduction will begin ... Thereafter pressure to do introduction and then traditional and white wedding .

I don't know her or you but trust me ...most ladies want a relatively big wedding .

As you guys start to plan your wedding et all ...you will start to notice that -

1. Your financial principles are at variance .

However my dude ...if I hear that you take a loan to get married I will be angry and disappointed with you .

lol. Thank you sir, I wouldn't even advise a loan for a business. I will take things easy and allow God to direct my steps with convictions. Thank you once again
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jun 11, 2017
To the third question _ when my engagement fell through ... I told her to keep the ring .

I couldn't bear to have it back ... I never asked what she did with it .

How someone can sell an engagement ring is beyond me .

See my guy marriage is the true test of love .

Once you can master finances in your relationship you are 50% there .

If you are making 1.2 million a year and she's making 1.2 million a year and the budget for your wedding is 2 million ...it's either there's something wrong or right with somebody's brain some where .

Well what do I know my guy ... I'm just a man like you still learning .

All the best .

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by dajoaneke(m): 4:09pm On Jun 11, 2017
oloriooko:

Marriage is serious biz, so serious that the faint hearted will fall by the road side.
1. Note that the main persons in this is you and the lady after which comes the family. What the 2 of you want is important and six months is good enough for courtship
2. Good she's known and accepted by your family but you've got to propose to her first b4 making move to see her family cuz after wedding it's going to be only 2 of you under same roof.
3. Weddings are always over hyped in Nigeria as if it's a competition. Plan your wedding with your sweetheart and make it within a reasonable budget and don't forget help will also come to you. The most important thing is to wisely save money for you two so after wedding you have enough to start life with.
4. Being in love is very good but marriage needs far more than that. Let your love produce patience, trust and more love towards your spouse. Dating someone is totally different from living under same roof. You will start noticing certain features which may irritate you or even drive you to start seeing your spouse in another light but you must exercise a lot of patience and never raise your hand to beat your wife, NEVER!

Finally, marriage requires a lot of work and tons of patience and understanding. Marriage will not build itself but the two of you will do.
Wish you the best and think hard b4 going into it wink
Thank you. The Nigerian wedding syndrome is the scariest part. Some people will finish wedding and have nothing left over for marriage proper. That will not be my case by God's grace. Also, marriage in northern Nigeria is not as expensive as East, South & West. Did I mention she's a northerner? cheesy
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by dajoaneke(m): 4:15pm On Jun 11, 2017
MissRaine69:
Be honest from the get go.
You have to meet her family that's imperative. Talk to her and agree on a budget agree on the duration on how long you want to wait before you get married once you propose. You may choose to tell her famliy of the proposed date but be aware once you propose there are expectations so be realistic.
Love can make us blind so before your ability to reason goes meet her family get to know then then propose if that's what you want to do.
A whole new perspective. Sounds very reasonable. Unorthodox method. I like the idea
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by dajoaneke(m): 4:18pm On Jun 11, 2017
Sorry to hear about the woes of your failed relationship. I believe the best will come. It would be proper to return a ring than dispose of it. Also, I also believe that one has to cut their coat according to material available.
tobianthony:
To the third question _ when my engagement fell through ... I told her to keep the ring .

I couldn't bear to have it back ... I never asked what she did with it .

How someone can sell an engagement ring is beyond me .

See my guy marriage is the true test of love .

Once you can master finances in your relationship you are 50% there .

If you are making 1.2 million a year and she's making 1.2 million a year and the budget for your wedding is 2 million ...it's either there's something wrong or right with somebody's brain some where .

Well what do I know my guy ... I'm just a man like you still learning .

All the best .

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jun 11, 2017
dajoaneke:
Thank you. The Nigerian wedding syndrome is the scariest part. Some people will finish wedding and have nothing left over for marriage proper. That will not be my case by God's grace. Also, marriage in northern Nigeria is not as expensive as East, South & West. Did I mention she's a northerner? cheesy

Well before you propose I would say start talking about money ?

Start talking about location ;

Start talking about your goals and hers too ;

Start talking about children ;

Sexuality very very important ;

Religion too .

Tell her to write these things down and you too .

But my guy make no mistake what you are about to enter is not for the feint of heart .

When love is shacking you ... You will take these things for granted .

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by dajoaneke(m): 4:21pm On Jun 11, 2017
Humornitarian... Una don dey show small small cheesy cheesy When I saw your Moniker, I said to myself, Jesus will cure you grin grin grin grin
iweecureyou:
Sinple

Turn Gay i wee maried u and payed for grooms priseangry
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Darksider131: 4:22pm On Jun 11, 2017
DARKSIDER.. advise to you..first go meet her parents if you dont that may be a very big mistake to you..always check family background first..

Second..is she working? Cause you said your salary is not that okay..if she is not working then prepare to start wearing one clothe a week

And if you dont earn enough dont try and get much children ..three is enough

Peace out...

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 11, 2017
dajoaneke:
Sorry to hear about the woes of your failed relationship. I believe the best will come. It would be proper to return a ring than dispose of it. Also, I also believe that one has to cut their coat according to material available.

cheesy thanks ...

Woes ...I'm good now ...just don't want anyone to make the same mistake as me .

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by MissRaine69(f): 4:24pm On Jun 11, 2017
dajoaneke:
A whole new perspective. Sounds very reasonable. Unorthodox method. I like the idea
The expectations of society do not always compliment the real life we live. You live your life daily so do what's best for you and your future wife
All the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Olasco93: 4:24pm On Jun 11, 2017
Just make sure you're more concerned about the Marriage than the Wedding ceremony. My brother, Marriage is more important, the ceremony is just a formality.
Goodluck bros!

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Headlesschicken(m): 4:27pm On Jun 11, 2017
smiley

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Dicedpineapple(f): 4:44pm On Jun 11, 2017
Nufin to say on did...Make i yansh down here
Re: I Want To Get Married, I Need Your Advice. by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jun 11, 2017
make I grab pop corn

(1) (2) (Reply)

30 Things You Should Never Say To A Naked Woman / How Do I Know If She Likes Or Love Me? / Is Meme Thread Post Ur Best Meme Of 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.