Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:07 PM

Thank You Sir, But I Do Have A Brain! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thank You Sir, But I Do Have A Brain! (411 Views)

"Hello Mr President, No Participation In The Debate Means No Vote For You Sir" / If You Are Hailing MC Oluomo You Need A Brain Check. / Femi Fani-Kayode Blasts Lauretta Onochie: "You Need A Brain Transfer" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Thank You Sir, But I Do Have A Brain! by Chukwuka16: 4:19am On Jun 12, 2017
Zahra Buhari: “We are here to help Nigerians; it is not about us.”

Thank you, sir, but I do have a brain!

There is no doubt that the elites have a concerted plan to continue to subvert and keep in perpetual servitude the youths. The argument is always simple – “who are you?”, “who is your father?” etc. The youths on the other hand have always responded as programmed – “I’m nobody sir”, “My father is a nobody”. Public functions have always been the parade ground for the highest display of stupidity by elected officials. Two hours into an event and in walks a “distinguished” Nigerian. Ruffles, shuffles, creaking of chairs and tables and then an interrupt. “Ladies and gentlemen, I want to recognize the presence of his excellency, honourable xyz who has just joined us.” Thunderous applause, a figure rises from the high table to wave at the crowd, more applause as he/she adjusts his/her “agbada” or “igele” and seats comfortably again and the event continues. There is no doubt that the event could be interrupted two, three or even more times before it climaxes recognizing these nuisances who have somehow pervaded the political scene.

At this juncture, I must say this; no matter how hard you try to grasp the fundamentals of my write-ups, it might always end in futility. The chaos at the end of the read is the aim of the write-up.

It is always a thing of joy to read comments of Nigeria youths on various online platforms defending one government official or a religious leader. “Fear God and don’t speak against his anointed”, “has your family ever produced a president/senator/honourable/governor?”, “Do you want to incur Gods wrath?” etc. I can still hear my mom’s voice in the background – “ha, you don’t have fear o, speaking about xyz like that!” I will spare her my wrath this morning since she is way past mid-age and concentrate on the youths who still have a lot of years ahead.

Permit to quote copiously from The Rotarian. “For an established society, the geographical frontier was a spillway: the energy of youth dammed up at home, could overflow and spend itself against the wilderness. Youth in no age is well served unless it has a new dream to unfold, a clean block of paper to write on, a chance to create an original product and set a brand on it, a job in which to become wholly absorbed. Nor is the nation well served which does not provide a frontier of some sort for each succeeding generation of youth.” The potentials of Nigerian youths are quite tremendous. However, daily events unfold that either kill such potential or encourage the deployment of such potentials in vices. Despite repeated warnings and public enlightenment, foreigners “oyinbos” still fall prey to “yahoo boys”. The skill and knack displayed by these youths in orchestrating such grand schemes could have been better deployed.

When the government lacked any more ideas on how to create jobs (as if it is the government’s responsibility to create jobs), they began spewing thrash like this:

NYSC DG: “NYSC to soon start posting corps members to farms.” (modified) Impossicant!

Okorocha: “Civil servants to work for three days and farm for two days in Imo State.” (modified) Unbelievable!

What was the response of the youths:

Abdul-Waheed Odunuga: “NYSC year should be devoted to farming.” (modified) Kekebu!

Religious centres that should offer succour and hope to the youths and act as conscience to the government rather engage in fleecing the youths. “Daddy’s car”, “private jet for daddy”, befitting worship centre” etc. “Give and it shall be given unto you”, “God loves a cheerful giver”, “Don’t rob God” etc. When not fleecing the youths, or frolicking with the government, they are involved in one scandal or the other – “Pastor rapes member”, “Imam rapes underage girl”, “Pastor divorces wife” etc. The youths rather than being objective and questioning leadership are up in arms defending their “majesties” on social media. The delusion has gone beyond that; youths can no longer think for themselves. It is no longer uncommon to hear in discussions statements like “pastor daddy said…”, “Imam alfa said…” etc. Fela sums it up, “Archbishop na miliki, Pope na enjoyment, Imam na gbaladun.” During my master’s study in United Kingdom, I was astonished at how religious centres had become clubs. I mean worship centres with the building intact and some religious artefacts now centres of pleasure and promiscuity. These were the guys who had brought the message of Christ to Nigeria and with a history so intertwined with the Bible, nothing less than stellar was expected of them. In a short while they have become a non-faith country (based on a recent survey which found out that over 50% of the population do not belong to the popular religions) that Nigeria now sends missionaries to evangelise them. Why? - When the citizens found out that religion was not adding value to their lives any longer, they pulled the plug. Nigeria is fast heading down that route.

When religious leaders cannot be bold enough to confront political appointees with the truth, then the youths must “wise up.” It is quite disheartening to see respected religious leaders make shocking comments about the performance of elected government officials when it is glaring that these guys are not performing. The president or governor or honourable member should be told point blank the truth whether he belongs to our religious sect or not. Shielding the flaws of an elected official because he is our member is nothing short of hypocrisy. More baffling though is the fact that the youths become attack dogs, supporting their religious leaders in defending these politicians. Prior to my departure for studies, I was discussing with a senior (full time) pastor, and he was intimating me of his son who is a UK citizen – “on top God work.” At that time, I did not know the difference between London and England!

As I conclude, let me relieve a story told me by my dad. At the awakening of the Pentecostal movement in the 80’s here in Nigeria, a prominent religious cleric preached a message titled “Burn the bridge.” Don’t get me wrong, this is the expected life of a Christian to worldly allurements. Members of the church went crazy. Certificates and property were destroyed, investments and savings were done away with, students in tertiary institutions dropped out – the fervour in the air was astounding. “Jesus is coming soon.” “What are you still doing in school bro?” “Occupy till I come!” These were some slogans that rent the air at that time. No youth was asking the right questions as exuberance and lack of knowledge fuelled youths into hasty decisions. As aptly put by the Bible, “My people perish for lack of knowledge.” Thirty plus years after, we are still expecting His coming – don’t get me wrong, He will come and it is imminent. However, it is not my job to speculate on His coming. I begin to wonder how folks who were caught in the craze have survived all these years – housing bills, feeding expenses, clothing needs, school fees for kids etc. The frustration has even turned some of them into atheists.

Visit the mosques, churches etc. and you will be amazed at how gullible youths have become. Religious leaders are carefully brainwashing their followers (the majority being youths), turning them into zombies. The news is awash with horrifying tales of despicable and debasing acts members are put through by their spiritual leaders. Careers have been damaged, lives wasted and ambitions cut short of youths who have handed their brains over to the elites. The Bible tells us of the Berean Christians who privately had to verify what Paul said to them from scriptures.

Nigerian youths must arise and begin to use their brains to think. Do a quick search of the children of the elites (religious and political) and you would be shocked at the disparity between most youths and these folks. With minimal performance and their parents’ “influence”, these kids either have plum jobs in government and respected private companies or occupy some position in the religious establishment. Remember that it is we who get sent to Borno for NYSC and get N-Power jobs. Their parents are quick to preach and harp on faith but find it convenient to call in a favour from a “member” who can influence decisions at that level. No wonder the civil service is in shambles. My greatest respect for Unibadan is simple – I qualified and was admitted without knowing anyone. Heck, I’m not even an “afonja.” Funding for my postgraduate studies (MSc and PhD) have simply been on merit – no phone calls or private visits because my parents do not even have that clout! The system in these developed societies have been structured to ensure that everyone can thrive and compete on equal footing. No federal character or varying entry standards. Merit has been the corner stone in their recruitment processes.

We must begin to raise important questions that show that we are critical thinkers. We must begin to challenge the status quo. We must do our homework. Nigerian youths must arise and frustrate the hereditary system of governance becoming prominent in government and religious circles. We must be sincere enough to promote qualified compatriots and be humble enough to develop our individual capacities while creating a niche for ourselves. Enough of being taken for granted by the elites. Enough is enough.

For previous posts:
https://www.nairaland.com/3851707/excuse-me-sir-look-stupid
https://www.nairaland.com/3851270/youths-might-sense

cc;
lalasticlala
Mynd44
OAM4J
Seun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thank You Sir, But I Do Have A Brain! by MidasTouche01(m): 4:39am On Jun 12, 2017
Interesting read, but the author saying we should do something should not stop at posting the writeup online, rent a public address system, organise seminars or town hall meetings, sensitise the public directly...

All this online preaching won't do, we need to start taking actions embarassed

(1) (Reply)

China Supports Philantropic Work Of Aisha Buhari,Donates N60m To Her Project(pix / Return Of The Mac: Disgraced Ex-speaker Repositions For 2019 / 1999 Constitution And Unity-in-permanence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.